Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Are no iClippers no longer free from the rank restriction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

radintorov posted:

I've been wondering about this as well. Anyone knows if they work well alongside the improved Hull Reinforcement packages?

I've seen a video about the new UI elements and in an Asp you can theoretically make a single 70ly boosted jump using these materials, according to the Galaxy Map navigation screen. :allears:

They look to be roughly twice as fast.
I whipped up a comparison video but my desktop keeps overheating every time I try to render it. Which is probably a bad thing.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
A quick FYI: there's a mining CG going on at HIP 8396, at Stepping Stone Base:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187372

The objective is to 'mine and sell' Osmium at the Outpost there. It's pretty cool, the more Tiers are achieved, the more the Outpost is upgraded, with the highest rank being an upgrade all the way up to an Orbis station.

HOWEVER, the CG is infuriatingly awkward, and likely not worth the effort:

1) As mentioned, the station is an Outpost, so no landing pads larger than Medium
2) HIP 8396 is approximately 300 Ly outside of the bubble, so you must have a fuel scoop to get there, which eats the precious internal slots of small ships
3) Stepping Stone has no Outfitting facilities, so no re-fitting ships once you arrive

So if you want to mine local to HIP 8396, you need a medium mining ship with a fuel scoop, no larger.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zaardvark posted:

A quick FYI: there's a mining CG going on at HIP 8396, at Stepping Stone Base:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187372

The objective is to 'mine and sell' Osmium at the Outpost there. It's pretty cool, the more Tiers are achieved, the more the Outpost is upgraded, with the highest rank being an upgrade all the way up to an Orbis station.

HOWEVER, the CG is infuriatingly awkward, and likely not worth the effort:

1) As mentioned, the station is an Outpost, so no landing pads larger than Medium
2) HIP 8396 is approximately 300 Ly outside of the bubble, so you must have a fuel scoop to get there, which eats the precious internal slots of small ships
3) Stepping Stone has no Outfitting facilities, so no re-fitting ships once you arrive

So if you want to mine local to HIP 8396, you need a medium mining ship with a fuel scoop, no larger.

Wouldn't this only exclude the super-rich mining in Anacondas (and Clippers too I guess)? Most ships you could feasibly use to mine, like the Asp or the Python, have no trouble there.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Professor Bling posted:

So one of the things I'm doing in this beta is testing different loadouts on ships I would actually fly, and I've got to say, dual C3 PACs on a Vulture will straight up dunk on fools.

My Vulture was already my favorite ship, but now?

:clint:

Get yourself into a Federal Assault Ship, then. It can pull this off while also having two multicannons and lots of utility internals. It owns so much and it was hard to let go of with the FGS until I discovered the four laser three cannon setup on it.

LCL-Dead posted:

On the good side though each Robigo run nets me another Federation rank so I've gone up 4 ranks in the last week.

Which ranks and how long is a run? I thought this stacked kills thing in Arexe was the best until it took a whole evening to get from warrant officer to ensign. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, like too many assassinations or missing some benefit from a system in civil war, since someone else claimed to get both warrant officer and ensign faster than that.

My guess is the Corvette is going to need the rank of lieutenant commander. It fits the two step progression while also satisfying the trivia of being equivalent to the rank of corvette captain.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

Get yourself into a Federal Assault Ship, then. It can pull this off while also having two multicannons and lots of utility internals. It owns so much and it was hard to let go of with the FGS until I discovered the four laser three cannon setup on it.

Which ranks and how long is a run? I thought this stacked kills thing in Arexe was the best until it took a whole evening to get from warrant officer to ensign. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, like too many assassinations or missing some benefit from a system in civil war, since someone else claimed to get both warrant officer and ensign faster than that.

My guess is the Corvette is going to need the rank of lieutenant commander. It fits the two step progression while also satisfying the trivia of being equivalent to the rank of corvette captain.

Now I wish when they finally implement Alliance-ranks they'll go with German naval ranks. I just want to be a Fregattenkapitän. :v:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

It's also bigger and less nimble though, which would make aiming more difficult, and it has worse shields unless you put prismatics on it.

But I'll try it out.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Astroniomix posted:

It's also bigger and less nimble though, which would make aiming more difficult, and it has worse shields unless you put prismatics on it.

But I'll try it out.

It's a lot more agile than the 6/10 rating would imply, but holy poo poo I didn't know a Vulture could get shields that high. Anyway, it more than makes up for it with coziness as you can fit A-rated sensors and a 3.5 km KWS for HazRES farming.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/06A6A5A5A6A4A4C2b2b27270404000k4a5j32582f6b.AwRhrSq5WI==.Aw18cQ==?bn=plasma%20bomber

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

It's a lot more agile than the 6/10 rating would imply, but holy poo poo I didn't know a Vulture could get shields that high. Anyway, it more than makes up for it with coziness as you can fit A-rated sensors and a 3.5 km KWS for HazRES farming.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_assault_ship/06A6A5A5A6A4A4C2b2b27270404000k4a5j32582f6b.AwRhrSq5WI==.Aw18cQ==?bn=plasma%20bomber

Federal ships have notoriously terrible shielding.

Also after more looking I've noticed that the FAS fits into a similar niche as the clipper, namely that it can easily stay below half of it's thruster's optimal mass, giving it maximum agility.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I really like the FAS. It's nimble enough that fixed weapons work and it can land at outposts.

Also I really think Corvette v. Cutter really boils down to this:

Do you want to trade? Get a Cutter.

Do you like combat? Get a Corvette.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 14, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This really only shows the front view, but all it looks like they did was stick Diamondback engine pods onto a Type-6. :geno:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This really only shows the front view, but all it looks like they did was stick Diamondback engine pods onto a Type-6. :geno:

The rear got a redesign.

It's a nice little ship -- wish it existed a year ago.

Edit: I'm also really interested in these collectables that are coming with Horizons. I'd be okay with limited jump ranges on some of these ships if I could realistically farm (or buy) enough of that booster to relocate my ship quickly if I wanted to.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 14, 2015

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hahaha these sequential kill missions are great

"We need someone that kills good. Do you kill good?"
"That was some good killing."
"You kill pretty good. Let's see how you kill more people."

These are great

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I hope they'll take inspiration from Eve Online in writing the flavor text for missions.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Could someone repeat what's the deal with Robigo? I've been away since Powerplay dropped so way out of the loop. Is that the current bug for big bux?

It's a good while of flying from Adams.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Duuk posted:

Could someone repeat what's the deal with Robigo? I've been away since Powerplay dropped so way out of the loop. Is that the current bug for big bux?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324&perpage=40&pagenumber=55#post452644878

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Duuk posted:

e: i dunno how its dumb get a real job

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 15, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Sounds like I'll be stuck in my iClip forever if the next upgrade is a 600m Cutter given the rate money is earned

200 lucky hours of RES lmao

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Just got a Vulture :hellyeah:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

Which ranks and how long is a run?

Lower ranks than you mentioned. 2-5

Runs can take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2.5 hours depending on how you stack the missions.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

YellerBill posted:

Just got a Vulture :hellyeah:

If I can't ram it aint poo poo

I eat Vultures

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Vultures can bonk with the best of them, you shut your whore mouth.

Also, even though Reddit is making GBS threads all over the Viper Mk.IV, I seriously think I've found my new mission runner. Cheap enough to A-rank easily, flies well enough even with the cut to speed, and my loadouts does everything I need it to and allows me to carry an SRV too. Literally the only downside is that "poo poo brown and puke yellow" stock paint job, and I've got no problem throwing away real money on fake paint every once and a while.

Plus, it's a chunky delta Viper with a spoiler, and as the Iggle shows everyone, spoilers make poo poo better :colbert:

edit: and my loadouts gives me a 21LY jump range. Yuuuuuup, this is a must-have for me.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

Also, even though Reddit is making GBS threads all over the Viper Mk.IV, I seriously think I've found my new mission runner. Cheap enough to A-rank easily, flies well enough even with the cut to speed, and my loadouts does everything I need it to and allows me to carry an SRV too. Literally the only downside is that "poo poo brown and puke yellow" stock paint job, and I've got no problem throwing away real money on fake paint every once and a while.

Plus, it's a chunky delta Viper with a spoiler, and as the Iggle shows everyone, spoilers make poo poo better :colbert:

I'm waiting to see the Cobra MkIV myself.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh, man, I forgot about the new Cobra, even though I *just* saw one on my scanner while I was playing.

The amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the brown sea that will be going on because "too much tradeoff in speed/handling for what we got" will be terrible.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

Oh, man, I forgot about the new Cobra, even though I *just* saw one on my scanner while I was playing.

The amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth in the brown sea that will be going on because "too much tradeoff in speed/handling for what we got" will be terrible.

They're already whipping themselves into a Santorum over ":qq: the Asp Scout and the Keelback look like the ships they're based on :qq:"

Sard
May 11, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

I don't know how anyone could be upset over the incredible hardpoint placement it has going on. I really like the potential of the Viper Mk IV with the upgraded power system, but goddamn if the Cobra Mk IV isn't going to be a fixed laser dream.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is this anything like Star Citizen?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Skellybones posted:

it exists and is a playable game so no

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They're already whipping themselves into a Santorum over ":qq: the Asp Scout and the Keelback look like the ships they're based on :qq:"
It is a bit poo poo that four of the six new ships are variants of existing ships. And also that they're not Kraits.

Why aren't they Kraits?

edit: don't get me wrong, I love the streamlined look of the new Asp's hull. I think they could've streamlined the massive crane cab on the front too though. I know it's a Lakon, but gently caress me does it look out of place.

Skellybones posted:

It's a spaceship game where you fly a spaceship around space and planets and poo poo.

So, no.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 15, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Skellybones posted:

the synposes of both contain the words "space" and "ship" somewhere in them, i think that's about where the similarity ends

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Professor Bling posted:

ill fkin bonk u on m8

e: Ugh I still have not preordered and I do want to see what all the IV fuss is

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 15, 2015

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lol

tooterfish posted:

They already know anyway, the Robigo CG tipped them off.

welp

kalel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 15, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
i am stoned and confuse the threads sorry i edited it out

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tooterfish posted:

:ssh:

it doesn’t matter if frontier knows, it’s the brown sea that’ll bitch about it because ~realism~

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
I was visited by a celebrity tonight.

e: Also, why does this station have arms?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Large scale industrial centrifuge is the only thing I've been able to think of. IIRC the ones I've seen like that are in extraction/refinery systems.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:ssh:

it doesn’t matter if frontier knows, it’s the brown sea that’ll bitch about it because ~realism~
I was talking about the brown sea, I was replying to a "don't post it here because pubbies will find out" post.

It's not about Robigo really, there's loads of systems like it if you know how to look (which makes board resetting an exercise in tedium in my opinion, but horses for courses). It's that the community goal there drew people back to the boonies right after it'd quietened down because of the smuggling nerf. I knew as soon as I saw that goal pop up there'd be people bragging on long range haulage missions in the brown sea soon enough, and then it's not long until the nerf comes.

1.5 has missions for "unique" cargo (i.e. you can't sell it off and then buy more at the other end), so hopefully they won't disappear completely, just be a bit more sane.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 15, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm waiting to see the Cobra MkIV myself.

It's all theory at this point but even if the Cobra Mk4 doesn't deliver the Viper Mk4 is looking good for Multi-Role and Mission running.

If the Cobra Mk4 gets the same level of boost that the Viper did I think we're in a for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xae posted:

It's all theory at this point but even if the Cobra Mk4 doesn't deliver the Viper Mk4 is looking good for Multi-Role and Mission running.

If the Cobra Mk4 gets the same level of boost that the Viper did I think we're in a for a treat.

The agility rating for the Viper Mk4 has me extremely concerned that it will actually suck balls though, if someone with beta access could confirm that it's good then that would be nice. And it still only has a C3 power distributor.

• Locked thread