Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 Second Artbomb
Apr 16, 2006

call the police
So, uh. Is it common for SpaceEngineers.exe to balloon up to 6GB+ of working memory and a 10GB+ commit size while generating a new world after the latest patch? Because that's happening to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So planets are no loving joke in terms of computing power needed. Freaking 5 minutes of loading time at the very least, sub-10 fps, and random frames hitching. Granted I'm currently running with a radeon hd 5800 g-card right now, but I'll be slotting in a GTX 970 some time next week :dance:. Will a new graphics card help with the fps here or is this mostly cpu intensive?

Also, I don't mind that pirates are attacking me with drones every now and then, it's just that they're attacking me almost every 2 minutes and I can't keep up with repairs.

I'm running an i5@4.4GHz with a 7950 Boost and medium settings at 1440p gets me FPS between 15-20. I'll wait for optimising, I think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A hotfix just dropped, but no notes yet. Hope it fixed the runaway memory usage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to disable grinding items producing scrap instead of actual components?

I'm a dumb, this only happens with batteries because they're partly charged

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 13, 2015

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Dropped my carrier from orbit and it ended up phasing through the ground and tore itself apart.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is...

Is that a blue Hel? :v:

vvvv: Minmatar ships are the best. :3:

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Truga posted:

Is...

Is that a blue Hel? :v:

Pretty much.

Even if they aren't pretty I like the look of Minmatar ships.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Some kind of hotfix dropped.
No idea whats in it, no posted notes yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zennik posted:

Some kind of hotfix dropped.
No idea whats in it, no posted notes yet.

They've dropped three or four now in the past few hours. Getting planets out the door must've freed up the team for bugfixing :v:.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of bugs, found a fun one: sometimes when you spawn in, it decides to randomly shoot you in your spaceshuiot instead of the respawn ship you picked. When you splatter yourself all across the terrain, sURRPISE - you still have your respawn ships on cooldown!

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
Light armor blocks are much too fragile for planetary environments. The lightest brushes with generally anything crumples light armor.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Planetary Landers are loving bullshit, is it because i am trying to use the atmospheric thrusters too high up?

Although I am getting very good at walking away from crashes, and so far what I have seen is amazing. I need to pillage the workshop for some planetary skiffs or some poo poo

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I'm amazed at how well this runs, although I do run some high-end hardware still it's all about 2 years old now. Impressive. One big problem I see here is that moving from ground to space and back is an interminable process. 40km each way at 104m/s is... Too long. Neat the first time but I can't say I'm chomping at the bit to do it again. I also decided to try jumping to the moon once I was out of the gravity well. I decided to try 27km. After the jump my position relative to both the planet and the moon did not appear to change at all.

It bears repeating, but space is large - even in this awesome little game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lordshmee posted:

I'm amazed at how well this runs, although I do run some high-end hardware still it's all about 2 years old now. Impressive. One big problem I see here is that moving from ground to space and back is an interminable process. 40km each way at 104m/s is... Too long. Neat the first time but I can't say I'm chomping at the bit to do it again. I also decided to try jumping to the moon once I was out of the gravity well. I decided to try 27km. After the jump my position relative to both the planet and the moon did not appear to change at all.

It bears repeating, but space is large - even in this awesome little game.

Aim long with a blind jump, and start dialing it back when it yells about you trying to jump into a gravity well.

edit: Also is it just me, or do you burn through Hydrogen so fast that it's pointless to use?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 14, 2015

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Space suit fuel seems to burn within a second or two now. Probably because I'm on a planet? Do all hydrogen things blaze through fuel on planets?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You basically can't use the jetpack on planets because otherwise there'd be no need to build stairs. The whole thing kind of requires you to work around gravity.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Literally Kermit posted:

Planetary Landers are loving bullshit, is it because i am trying to use the atmospheric thrusters too high up?

Although I am getting very good at walking away from crashes, and so far what I have seen is amazing. I need to pillage the workshop for some planetary skiffs or some poo poo

It takes practice to land one of those things safely.

Basically the stock 'blueberry' planetary lander (cousin to the starter potato we all love to hate) has gently caress all for lateral thrust, your only big thrusters are the ones that keep you aloft. That means you need to keep yourself oriented appropriately -the more level you are, the stable you are, and sometimes the game likes to spawn you in with your nose pointed down. So the moment you get control, you need to find the horizon indicator and pull yourself level with it - the inertial dampeners SHOULD kick in and (gradually) arrest your descent. Yeah, the higher you are, the less effective those thrusters are, so you probably will end up about a kilometer or two lower than you started - you'll usually balance out somewhere around 2-3KM altitude.

There's also a lovely bug where your thrusters cease receiving input sometimes (I blame crashing that carrier on that), so if nothing seems to be happening tap space a couple of times, wiggle the mouse, and pray.

Anyhow, once you've stabilized your altitude, you're pretty much set - the blueberry only has 0.3 kilos of uranium in the reactor, but that's still enough to keep you in stable hover for several hours with no issue. Take a look around, figure out where the hell you want to set down (near a lake/ice patch is recommended, though not mandatory), and head in that general direction. The trick is to fly that thing like a helicopter - the lander weighs a whopping 350 or so tons, so it's got obscene inertia. Think bringing a type-9 to dock with a busted thruster array and 400 tons of cargo and you're close. Essentially you want to keep level, point yourself in the air ABOVE where you want to go, and try to come to a halt there - when you're above the site, you just level yourself again and gently tap the 'thrust down' button to temporarily cut your altitude thrusters. Just keep pulsing them, go slow, and you should touch down pretty nicely.

Protip, as said, your lateral thrusters are pretty lazy - so if you want to accelerate/decelerate faster, you gently tip your nose a little bit down or up respectively to get a little extra vectored thrust out of your main drive. Be aware that this proportionally reduces your downwards thrust, though, so it's not the best if you're barely skimming the treetops as is.

Also, when Planets first released, there seemed to be a bug in the dedicated server code that would have client ships chew through power super fast - that likely explains why when we first tried it on Zennik's server, we couldn't bring those things down intact. For some fucktarded reason you have four batteries on the blueberry, but they all start out dry and you only have less than half a kilo of uranium, so.. yeah. Better now, though.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Good advice.

I have found some practice is required to get used to the new style of planetary flying, but I think fighter/bomber combat is going to be rad as hell due to how it feels.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Space suit fuel seems to burn within a second or two now. Probably because I'm on a planet? Do all hydrogen things blaze through fuel on planets?

Real hydrogen thrusters don't burn extra, just the jetpack. In zero G, the jetpack can last ~45 minutes with normal use

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
My first game in months and I load in in atmo in a lander looking at the beautiful ground, then wondering why I wasn't slowing down, then panicking, cause I didn't remember the look outside key.

At least enough of it survived that I could figure out what went wrong. Main engines point down from seat position, and it spawns the ship in with you looking straight down.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So I found a Monolith inside of the giant martian volcano. It's got some kind of writing on the side and is apparently worth 130 superconductor and steel plate. However, when I took the hand grinder to it, it barely budged from 99%. I may have to come back with a grinding machine if it's possible. Maybe something cool happens with this thing if we can grind it down or place something nearby.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Amechwarrior posted:

So I found a Monolith inside of the giant martian volcano. It's got some kind of writing on the side and is apparently worth 130 superconductor and steel plate. However, when I took the hand grinder to it, it barely budged from 99%. I may have to come back with a grinding machine if it's possible. Maybe something cool happens with this thing if we can grind it down or place something nearby.

I'm assuming this is just a Space Odyssey Easter Egg?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else have issues with batteries not charging from solar panels at all in multiplayer?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
So, here's something you should try.

Drop from orbit in your spacesuit.

Take your helmet off (J) just before hitting the ground.

Enjoy!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
What's up with station blocks and planets? I can't seem to rotate or place them properly when trying to build out a new platform, and the cornerstone always ends up skewed. Is there something I'm missing?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Me and a bunch of other people are having problems with worlds with planets in them. Namely the computer usage goes haywire and everything goes unresponsive, is anyone else here experiencing this? I think it might be a limitation with my graphics card but I noticed that people with more than reasonable setups are having the same issue.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Immanentized posted:

What's up with station blocks and planets? I can't seem to rotate or place them properly when trying to build out a new platform, and the cornerstone always ends up skewed. Is there something I'm missing?

Basically when you start placing station blocks, they're aligned to the 'universe' grid, while when you're standing on the planet, your feet are pointing towards its core and therefore you're not aligned to the grid. What you need to do is start placing the block and hit B to align it with yourself. Be aware that this disconnects the station you're buiolding from the universe grid and lets you place blocks freely/gradually; this prevents you from connecting two station blocks together unless you use merge blocks.

Truga posted:

Anyone else have issues with batteries not charging from solar panels at all in multiplayer?

poo poo, I thought I was just draining the battery so fast! Yeah, same problem here. 10 solar panels and not an erg of charge when night falls.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

poo poo, I thought I was just draining the battery so fast! Yeah, same problem here. 10 solar panels and not an erg of charge when night falls.

I have 11 panels now and batteries are filling fine (though still very slowly obviously), but it could have also just been a server restart that did it :shrug:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Truga posted:

I have 11 panels now and batteries are filling fine (though still very slowly obviously), but it could have also just been a server restart that did it :shrug:

It's probably the server restart. Sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not, could be related to ship welders/grinders ceasing to function after the server's been up a certain time.

Edit: I had no problems when I was manually hosting the game on Thursday night, but last night/today it's been a pain in the rear end since I transferred over to my new dedicated server.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
If you manage to land the planet lander without damaging it (HA!) you will have enough to set up a decent base.

The two large atmospheric engines alone are a wealthy of motors, which can be disassembled for enormous amounts of iron and nickel.

Use interior blocks over light armor ones because they use less steel.

Frozen lakes are ideal landing sites and make for an easy source of hydrogen. Make your skiffs work with both hydrogen and atmosphere thrusters. Not sure if a small oxygen generator full of ice will manage to power hydrogen thrusters though

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Snow, apparently, also counts as ice, not as rock as I had been left to believe. If you spawn over frozen tundra like I did, you'll essentially have enough dV to budge the planet from its orbit. (No, you can't, but still!)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What do you guys mine with? Just a rocket powered miner or something on wheels?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Truga posted:

What do you guys mine with? Just a rocket powered miner or something on wheels?

Dunno, didn't get that far yet! :haw:

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
I imagine an ideal planetary miner would be something akin to the auto-miner platforms. Have drills facing downward with several long guide rails coming out the top. The guide rails are kept still with tires, and in the center are cargo containers. Let the whole thing drop into the ground until the top of the drill bit, however tall you made it, is flush with the surface, then a rover or cargo craft can dock and hoover up the loot. Now you slap some engines on the top of the drill to bring the whole thing out, move it to another location, and drill baby drill.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I am in the process of modifying the example rover to have a set of drill bits on stacked pistons. My idea is that you simply drive on top of resources you want, start the drill, then the pistons, and mine until the piston is fully extended.

Retract, move forward a little, repeat.

Needs a wide wheelbase, and if you want to scale it up you'd probably make it some sort of flitter/hopper that just bursts it's way through the air to it's destination, Mako style!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

McGiggins posted:

I am in the process of modifying the example rover to have a set of drill bits on stacked pistons. My idea is that you simply drive on top of resources you want, start the drill, then the pistons, and mine until the piston is fully extended.

Retract, move forward a little, repeat.

Needs a wide wheelbase, and if you want to scale it up you'd probably make it some sort of flitter/hopper that just bursts it's way through the air to it's destination, Mako style!

Kinda tedious though? Drills attached to pistons are rarely worth doing IMO -- it's not like you have any real savings in effort compared to manually operated drills. Piston physics means you have to drill slowly, but even at full extension they don't mine a ton of material.

I think it would be pretty easy to make a wheeled vehicle that could automatically drive in a spiral pattern, using just timer blocks. Then with some drills attached you could strip off the entire top layer of surface material of ore or one of the ice lakes.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, so an auto-strip mining set up, I like it!

You could then just change the script in the program block when you wanted to make another, smaller hole in the center to continue the pattern, and still allow the rover to get out, unless you were planning on lifting it out.

That would definitely be a more effective design in the long term, and you could probably then just mass produce them.

My idea was just for something right at the start, as a way to get that initial glut of materials to build the larger, more effective designs like yours.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I just spawned a planet in Creative, it was like the drat thing uncloaked, just instantaneous. Pretty drat impressive.

Also, I am fairly certain that planets do not appear randomly in a map. Either you play on one of the Planet Starts, or you manually place the planet in Creative. Presumably they will work on random planets later.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Is it me, or are flight controls inverted despite settings? When I go to check on them they start to work the way I expect them to.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

Edit: I had no problems when I was manually hosting the game on Thursday night, but last night/today it's been a pain in the rear end since I transferred over to my new dedicated server.

Yeah, the issue came back after fiddling/docking with the station. I'm hosting in the game now and it suddenly works fine!

Dedicated is pretty much not working for us due to this, since planets have only trace amounts of uranium.

• Locked thread