Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cleretic posted:

That name list is the most Bethesda feature I've ever seen. It's ridiculously robust, with even choices as esoteric as 'Markipoo', 'Bogdanove' and 'Nourmohammadi' considered and voiced... but tough luck if your name is 'Janet', 'Brett' or 'Alicia', or if you use an unconsidered alternate spelling like 'Ashleigh' or 'Madeline'.

And yet, I don't think I'd have it any other way. I'm not buying the game until mods come out (and woefully this is specifically to fix specific poor design choices instead of fixing bugs and adding to the game) but I've had more genuine entertainment interrogating that name list over the last couple days than I've had playing some of the games I've actually been playing.

But think of it this way, Nourmohammadi must have been so happy someone got his name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mycot posted:

But think of it this way, Nourmohammadi must have been so happy someone got his name!

Turns out she works for Bethesda.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I was getting attacked so I ran into a town and the residents started looking for the enemies. One guy said, "oh, I'll find you!" exactly the same way as they do in Dishonored. Same intonation and everything.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
One little thing in Fallout 4, apart from being able to equip Dogmeat with goggles and collars, if you give him a teddy bear he'll occasionally bring it out and play with it in his mouth. :3:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Gnome de plume posted:

One little thing in Fallout 4, apart from being able to equip Dogmeat with goggles and collars, if you give him a teddy bear he'll occasionally bring it out and play with it in his mouth. :3:

He will also roll around on his back as one of his idle animations. :3:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Fallout 4 really outdid itself compared to past Bethesda games when it comes to the idle animations. I was in a factory earlier and once we cleared the place out Piper leaned on one of the guard rails and looked around, it all looks really neat.

Although I laugh when I see the same drat crafting animation from Skyrim when NPCs use crafting benches.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RagnarokAngel posted:

Fallout 4 really outdid itself compared to past Bethesda games when it comes to the idle animations. I was in a factory earlier and once we cleared the place out Piper leaned on one of the guard rails and looked around, it all looks really neat.

Although I laugh when I see the same drat crafting animation from Skyrim when NPCs use crafting benches.

Preston, whiny little rear end in a top hat that he is, will do his best to get out of your way. If you go into a shop or something he will post up outside sometimes and make sure the wall stays up with his back.
Yeah, I know all the humanoid ones do that but he just looks so good with his basic outfit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Strong in Fallout 4 is a big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, he shares a voice actor with Goku, another big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, this is pretty great, I'll always miss Fawkes and his Gattling Laser from F3 but, Strong will do just fine.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

When I was around in the factory place with Preston he took out a clipboard and pencil and started taking inventory...? :shrug: They're a bit weird at times.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thin Privilege posted:

I was getting attacked so I ran into a town and the residents started looking for the enemies. One guy said, "oh, I'll find you!" exactly the same way as they do in Dishonored. Same intonation and everything.

The first time I ever heard that was in one of the Tenchu games, and Dishonored did it the same way years later. Maybe it's a Wilhelm Scream sort of thing for developers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gnome de plume posted:

How do you equip stuff on him? The game doesn't tell you.

One thing I like about Bethesda open world games is how they try to fill the world with character by putting little tableaux in places. Like I was walking down by the river and found a campsite where the person who set it up was crushed by a tree in their sleep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Croccers posted:

When I was around in the factory place with Preston he took out a clipboard and pencil and started taking inventory...? :shrug: They're a bit weird at times.

Yeah, NPCs will cycle through a lot of world animations - fiddle with monitors, "fix" things, sit in chairs, etc. Skyrim did it to a lesser extent (most obvious with the Dawnguard allies), but F4 seems to have made it much more obvious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think it's probably a case of Bethesda incorporating ideas from mods into the game, there were always a bunch of 'Immersive Followers' mods that do exactly this for their games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this? posted:

How do you equip stuff on him? The game doesn't tell you.

One thing I like about Bethesda open world games is how they try to fill the world with character by putting little tableaux in places. Like I was walking down by the river and found a campsite where the person who set it up was crushed by a tree in their sleep.

On the Trade menu with a companion, highlight a weapon or armor in their column and look down the bottom of the screen - It'll list the button to make them equip it (T in the PC version). You can also make them wear Power Armor by commanding them (talk to them to bring up the "GO" arrow, and select a suit of armor with a fusion core in it).

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I'm really enjoying Fallout 4 and the myriad of little things they have put into it.

I like how NPCs wil comment on the weather, and how the things you do are remembered throughout the commonwealth. Their previous games did this too, but Fallout 4 does it easily the best. People recognise you, and remark on it, but not to the extent they did in Skyrim, and if you take the time to read terminals and notes left by raiders or group leaders, they directly reference locations in which everyone got killed - by you - but no-one knows who did i because there were no survivors.

The radiant quest system feels more organic that Skyrims attempt, and I was surprised to find they are time sensitive if they involve kidnapping.

I love that i can put different pieces of armour on my various limbs. I like how I have built a 3 storey hotel/bar in Sanctuary, in which the downstairs is one big garage showcasing my 6 power armours I've recovered and am slowly rebuilding.

Also, the dog actually sits like a real loving dog.

There is a "Throw Grenade" button now. Thank Christ.

Enemies actually take cover and flank you now. And suppress you.

Just the settlement building in general, it's not a "little" thing but I really, really do appreciate that it actually is quite robust and works surprisingly well. If I could just find some goddamn adhesive, copper and ceramics, I'd be perfectly happy.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

princecoo posted:

Just the settlement building in general, it's not a "little" thing but I really, really do appreciate that it actually is quite robust and works surprisingly well. If I could just find some goddamn adhesive, copper and ceramics, I'd be perfectly happy.

If you haven't already stripped it down, one of the production lines in the Corvega factory is filled with some part made out of ceramic. Not sure about the other two though.

On that note, I like how the new scavenge/building system adds another layer to looting stuff. I remember in fallout 3 I'd look in every nook and cranny, but I only ever really picked up guns, bullets, caps, cigarette cartons, and anything else that would obviously sell for a lot. Now you have to think a little more about your looting, and you have to balance the cap value of items versus the component value. Like the old boardgame (can't remember what it's called) that's only worth a couple of caps, but so far it's one of the few sources of uranium I've found. Or how if I end up fighting robots or turrets, I'll drop guns and other stuff to make room for the circuit boards and electrical components.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I also like how you can mark things for collection, so if you want to build something in particular, but don't have enough screws or glass or whatever, you can mark them and then everything that contains those base components when broken down has a little magnifying glass icon next to their name when you look at them, so you know to collect it.

The scavenging in FO4 has really shaken up my playstyle. I used to be a wandering hoarder with multiples of the same gun and armour (for repairs and companions and to sell) but now I've got 2 sidearms, a really good shotgun for clearing buildings, a sweet modded rifle for wandering the Commonwealth and an assault rifle I'm keeping because I have plans to mod it into a decent room sweeper. Everything else is junk for parts or sale. I now keep new found pre-modded weapons long enough to replace the mod with standard parts then store the mods back at a home-base, then junk the weapon and use the parts to put the new mods onto my standard weapons. I've kept the starter pistol and the same rifle for most of my playthrough, because it is cheaper to build and replace good mods with defaults then put the good mods on your regular kit.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Judge Tesla posted:

Strong in Fallout 4 is a big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, he shares a voice actor with Goku, another big dumb idiot who likes fighting and not much else, this is pretty great, I'll always miss Fawkes and his Gattling Laser from F3 but, Strong will do just fine.

Mack Beth. :haw:

Fallout 4 gun talk: I found a hunting rifle that deals double damage to full health opponents. I like that I've been able to change it into a sniper rifle. Also, weapon naming is a great thing that we have now. I've named my shotgun "The Disagreement".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RagnarokAngel posted:

I was walking around Diamond City and Piper just dropped out to sit down and eat a bowl of noodles.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The "take all the coolest mods from the last game and make them baseline" approach to Fallout gameplay improvement is pretty goddamn great. Mods to make companions actually chill out and engage with the environment were always the nicest subtle quality of life improvements.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

graybook posted:

Also, weapon naming is a great thing that we have now. I've named my shotgun "The Disagreement".

I'm totally stealing this when I get the game.

For content, I'm back to playing Mad Max and working on clearing all the scavenge locations has really made me appreciate that the game has a button that tells you what loot is left, and that it flat out tells you when you've grabbed everything.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Tweet Me Balls posted:

The "take all the coolest mods from the last game and make them baseline" approach to Fallout gameplay improvement is pretty goddamn great.

But they forgot SkyUI :sigh:

I really like that they ditched the Karma system and replaced it with companion approval. All the companions I've rolled with so far have had the same stuff they like and don't, but assuming that actually changes, it'll be a huge improvement over the old good - evil system.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In Transformers: Devastation, Bumblee has found his true calling as the Fist of the North Star.

The Soundwave fight is amazing because literally every attack is sound-based; even Rumble and Frenzy's earthquake pistons create little oscilloscope-waves for their attacks. Soundwave's battle theme is even full of dubstep, record-scratching, and distortion effects. Platinum really knocked it out of the park with this fight.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

princecoo posted:

I like how I have built a 3 storey hotel/bar in Sanctuary, in which the downstairs is one big garage showcasing my 6 power armours I've recovered and am slowly rebuilding.

I wasn't going to get fallout but hearing this... :negative:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In Fallout 4, After leaving Dogmeat for Piper, I came back to Sanctuary several hours later and found him sitting in a dog house.
Dogmeat is a good dog.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

princecoo posted:

I now keep new found pre-modded weapons long enough to replace the mod with standard parts then store the mods back at a home-base, then junk the weapon and use the parts to put the new mods onto my standard weapons.

you can WHAT

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Dogmeat is awesome. I do love that he's pretty useful in combat, he can hold down enemies to give you some time to line up better shots. And in upgrading a certain perk he'll get real crazy on enemies, first time I ever seen him go for someone's throat surprised the poo poo out of me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

On a non-Fallout 4 note, since I can't play it till I upgrade my PC at tax season, I recently picked up one of my old favorite games: Split/Second. I've described Split/Second as "Mario Kart dressed up as Grand Turismo" and as "If Michael Bay made a racing game." Man, I wish this game would get a sequel. Anyhow, my two favorite little things in this game are:

1.) Every Achievement you get is represented as a Sponsor sticker on your car.

2.) The Soundtrack. Rather than just using a bunch of forgettable licensed tracks, the developer went the extra mile and made a very cool cinematic style soundtrack. The soundcloud up there can't really do it justice because it's dynamic in game, reacting to stuff that happens on screen.

I really recommend picking this one up, even though it's old. :)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
In LISA: The Painful RPG, there is never a simple Yes/No menu. The prompts are different for each choice, and the "no" option is usually hilariously dickish.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Veotax posted:

I think it's probably a case of Bethesda incorporating ideas from mods into the game, there were always a bunch of 'Immersive Followers' mods that do exactly this for their games.

For better or worse the bulk of FO4 feels like this. It feels like they looked at a lot of popular mods and fine tuned them. Some come over good, some don't.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Kaubocks posted:

you can WHAT

Seriously. I knew that modding your weapons gave you the old mod back, but I wasn't creative enough to use that to my advantage.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Red Minjo posted:

Seriously. I knew that modding your weapons gave you the old mod back, but I wasn't creative enough to use that to my advantage.

It's also not immediately obvious you have the mod back. When you're adding a mod to a weapon that you already have, it still shows it as "needing" the upgrade materials in that part of the craft window.

The only indication you actually aren't going to craft it and use up those materials is that the "craft" prompt at the bottom of the screen is replaced by "equip."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

ShootaBoy posted:

For content, I'm back to playing Mad Max and working on clearing all the scavenge locations has really made me appreciate that the game has a button that tells you what loot is left, and that it flat out tells you when you've grabbed everything.

I just found one where there's a big railroad crate in a cave with a big gift bow painted on it, and there are skeletons inside. But the crate itself is surrounded by fresher but dismembered bodies. What the gently caress happened there :pwn:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's also not immediately obvious you have the mod back. When you're adding a mod to a weapon that you already have, it still shows it as "needing" the upgrade materials in that part of the craft window.

The only indication you actually aren't going to craft it and use up those materials is that the "craft" prompt at the bottom of the screen is replaced by "equip."

You can also do it with armour pieces, which is even easier because the "non-modded" version doesn't actually use up materials (for example, the base sights for guns use up 1 screw and something else), so if you get a... dunno, "shadowed deep pocketed leather left arm" you can mod out the shadow and deep pockets mods before scrapping it and put them somewhere else.

Note: the mods are heavy as balls and they add up, remember to drop them in the workbench when doing this.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I just found one where there's a big railroad crate in a cave with a big gift bow painted on it, and there are skeletons inside. But the crate itself is surrounded by fresher but dismembered bodies. What the gently caress happened there :pwn:

It reminded me of all the little vignettes you'd come across in Fallout 3, but creepier since so few of them had any purpose behind them. People just be crazy.

Related, I think I found a homage to a certain Hannibal episode...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My pyflt with Fallout 4 is that there's generally a way to get everything you need, even if it doesn't tell you how to do it. Like you can cook your own adhesive with Corn, Mutfruit, Tatos and pure water, each of which is common and renewable. I'm sitting on about 400 adhesive now because I went a little overboard, but still

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evilreaver posted:

My pyflt with Fallout 4 is that there's generally a way to get everything you need, even if it doesn't tell you how to do it. Like you can cook your own adhesive with Corn, Mutfruit, Tatos and pure water, each of which is common and renewable. I'm sitting on about 400 adhesive now because I went a little overboard, but still

One thing I love in Fallout 4 is that when you skip dialogue, you'll sometimes hear your character say things like "yeah-huh... okay... yup..." like you're just tuning it out or hurrying whoever's speaking along :allears:.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I love in Fallout 4 is that when you skip dialogue, you'll sometimes hear your character say things like "yeah-huh... okay... yup..." like you're just tuning it out or hurrying whoever's speaking along :allears:.

I like this, too. For the longest while I thought it was doing the Mass Effect thing where if you hit the button to skip dialogue too much you'd wind up auto-selecting the next choice and gently caress you. But nope, turns out the guy's just nodding along with the conversation like I am trying to get this guy to tell me what he needs done so I can do it.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I bust out laughing when my SO's lady character said the most uninterested "Shut up..." to one of the traders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's some really funny writing in FO4, like running into some raiders talking about a guy they tried to rob. He got away by throwing "grenades" that were just rocks and making machine gun noises with his mouth and then "driving" away on his "motorcycle."