Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

that book about the rise and fall of blackberry (losing the signal) had a lot about the playbook and what a shitshow it was. sillyballs gave absolutely no indication to anyone inside rim what it was supposed to be used for or who it was for so his marketing team was literally staring at an empty whiteboard four weeks before launch day

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
loling out loud here

lizardillz is putting his name on the "lazaridis school of business and economics"

because you really want to learn "business and economics" from the dipshit who sunk one of canada's biggest tech firms in under a decade

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

well he also founded it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, it's nothing but hubris all the way down

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks Ants posted:

you should of waited

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

remember when people were climbing over each other's corpses to buy up all of the playbooks at future shop cause they were $300 off

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

yes, it's nothing but hubris all the way down

It's really amazing how they made the exact same mistakes that they took advantage of when their competitors did it on their way up.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ultimately it's the success of their approach that blinded them to the changing market. they just couldn't understand how doing the same thing wouldn't continue to work

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Lazaridis just not comprehending why people weren't giving a gently caress about how economic BBs were with data is just loving lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Lazaridis just not comprehending why people weren't giving a gently caress about how economic BBs were with data is just loving lol

forgot who his customers were, thinking that wireless carries who were at the time the ultimate gatekeepers of what devices succeeded were who he needed to please

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

forgot who his customers were, thinking that wireless carries who were at the time the ultimate gatekeepers of what devices succeeded were who he needed to please

praise stebe for telling the carriers to get hosed

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

remember when people were climbing over each other's corpses to buy up all of the playbooks at future shop cause they were $300 off

the comments on that article generated Many Hearty Lols from me

Rudi Mentz posted:

Glad to see RIM has offered this sale as I was'nt even interested in tablets at the current prices. Also they are determined/committed to the product unlike HP's forray.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

AT&T had seen something like this coming. Almost as soon as the first iPhone was introduced in 2007, the carrier realized it might run short of bandwidth. Within just a few months, the first wave of iPhone customers was already sucking down about 15 times more data than the average smartphone customer and 50 percent more than AT&T had itself projected. In a bid to avert the looming problem, a team headed by senior vice president Kris Rinne met with Apple to ask for help. Of course AT&T was planning to upgrade its network to handle the increased demand, Rinne’s team told Apple executives, but that was going to take years. In the meantime, would Apple take measures to help throttle back the traffic? Perhaps Apple could restrict its YouTube app to run only over Wi-Fi. Maybe the iPhone could feature a smaller, lower-resolution videostream or cut off YouTube videos after one minute. Rinne, who had already met with Apple’s iPhone team at least half a dozen times, fully expected the company to play along. After all, manufacturers agreed to such restrictions all the time. It didn’t make sense to build phones and offer features that carriers couldn’t support.

But in meetings with Apple engineers and marketers over the subsequent year, Rinne and other AT&T executives discovered that Apple wasn’t playing by traditional wireless rules. It wasn’t interested in cooperating, especially if it meant hobbling what had quickly become its marquee product. For Apple, the idea of restricting the iPhone was akin to asking Steve Jobs to ditch the black turtleneck. “They tried to have that conversation with us a number of times,” says someone from Apple who was in the meetings. “We consistently said ‘No, we are not going to mess up the consumer experience on the iPhone to make your network tenable.’ They’d always end up saying, ‘We’re going to have to escalate this to senior AT&T executives,’ and we always said, ‘Fine, we’ll escalate it to Steve and see who wins.’ I think history has demonstrated how that turned out.”

can you just imagine that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

buttcrackmenace posted:

quote:

Got one today at Best Buy in California (16GB $199) and think it's a cool device. I have a 32GB Xoom WiFi, 32GB HP Touchpad ($150 Firesale) and Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. Enjoy ALL of them for what they bring to the table. Being cornered into one device is Ignorant. I also have a 32GB iPod Touch (3rd Gen) which I gave to my Daughter after I got my Sammy Galaxy Player 5.0 (it DESTROYS)the iPod Touch. I will then gie my Mom my 32GB Zune HD.

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the unstoppable prick meets the immovable other prick

something something docking station

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

buttcrackmenace posted:

to be fair, the hp touchpad was discontinued a good while before the playbook

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

quote:

AT&T had seen something like this coming. Almost as soon as the first iPhone was introduced in 2007, the carrier realized it might run short of bandwidth. Within just a few months, the first wave of iPhone customers was already sucking down about 15 times more data than the average smartphone customer and 50 percent more than AT&T had itself projected. In a bid to avert the looming problem, a team headed by senior vice president Kris Rinne met with Apple to ask for help. Of course AT&T was planning to upgrade its network to handle the increased demand, Rinne’s team told Apple executives, but that was going to take years. In the meantime, would Apple take measures to help throttle back the traffic? Perhaps Apple could restrict its YouTube app to run only over Wi-Fi. Maybe the iPhone could feature a smaller, lower-resolution videostream or cut off YouTube videos after one minute. Rinne, who had already met with Apple’s iPhone team at least half a dozen times, fully expected the company to play along. After all, manufacturers agreed to such restrictions all the time. It didn’t make sense to build phones and offer features that carriers couldn’t support.

But in meetings with Apple engineers and marketers over the subsequent year, Rinne and other AT&T executives discovered that Apple wasn’t playing by traditional wireless rules. It wasn’t interested in cooperating, especially if it meant hobbling what had quickly become its marquee product. For Apple, the idea of restricting the iPhone was akin to asking Steve Jobs to ditch the black turtleneck. “They tried to have that conversation with us a number of times,” says someone from Apple who was in the meetings. “We consistently said ‘No, we are not going to mess up the consumer experience on the iPhone to make your network tenable.’ They’d always end up saying, ‘We’re going to have to escalate this to senior AT&T executives,’ and we always said, ‘Fine, we’ll escalate it to Steve and see who wins.’ I think history has demonstrated how that turned out.”

It makes me laugh that the AT&T team believed it would win this argument with Stebe.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That quote is kind of funny considering the iPhone has always been more strict about limiting data use over cellular than Android phones.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

its nice with the insufferable pricks are on the right side of history

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Verizon got around this by intercepting youtube traffic on their cell network and serving you a lower-resolution version of the video that it MITM'd to save bandwidth since it was all pre-HTTPS

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its nice with the insufferable pricks are on the right side of history

It was insufferable pricks on both sides. It's just rare that the ones who win have some of their interests aligned with consumers.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

blackberry has outlasted nokia and motorola

and almost microsoft

that's something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

support executive

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

to be fair, contemporaries like Greenspan honestly thought that the free market would self-regulate out of care for shareholder value :jerkbag:, when all the workers ever cared about were their own bonuses.
their premise was wrong from the start and doomed to failure. people want entertainment during their soul crushing poo poo hole of a job/commute, and given the opportunity to consume it, will

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

it's telling, that even now in their death throes, bbry still positions every ounce of their marketing to corporate office culture as if it were a good thing, and not shown for the life stealer it was back in '08.

like those MS pics that tout work at all hours and at home or during sleep time as an ideal.

"PRODUCTIVITY! Produce! Produce until you loving die from heart failure or an economic downturn you loving tools!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I'm the vp of help desk

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

what shithole company's existence depends on this poo poo. wherever this is i'm not working there

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Millstone posted:

what shithole company's existence depends on this poo poo. wherever this is i'm not working there

blackberry inc

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

depends on = "required to use"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Millstone posted:

All branches of Canadian Government.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"IT Support Executive" = computer janitor, one tier from the bottom

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

In 1997, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The next year, it turned a profit of over $300 million. How was this possible? They admitted to themselves that their products needed to change radically.

“You know what’s wrong with this company?” said Steve Jobs at the time. “The products suck.” The company went on the release the iMac, and later, iPods, iPads, and iPhones. Today it is the most valuable company in the world.

Can this happen for BlackBerry? It’s more possible than you think.

Last month the company released its most innovative product in years: the BlackBerry Priv. This new phone solves nearly every issue that contributed to the firm’s epic collapse, namely a lack of apps, a clunky user interface, and outdated hardware. BlackBerry may have found its version of the iPhone in one product.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Verizon got around this by intercepting youtube traffic on their cell network and serving you a lower-resolution version of the video that it MITM'd to save bandwidth since it was all pre-HTTPS

Funny enough, T-Mobile is putting forth an opt-out version of this. If you stay opt-in, the traffic will be toll free. It isn't ready for YouTube yet though.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Last month the company released its most innovative product in years: the BlackBerry Priv. This new phone solves nearly every issue that contributed to the firm’s epic collapse, namely a lack of apps, a clunky user interface, and outdated hardware. BlackBerry may have found its version of the iPhone in one product.

now introducing the blackberry priv. solving all blackberries' previous issues by replacing them with an outdated user interface, clunky hardware, and a lack of apps

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

In 1997, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The next year, it turned a profit of over $300 million. How was this possible? They admitted to themselves that their products needed to change radically.

“You know what’s wrong with this company?” said Steve Jobs at the time. “The products suck.” The company went on the release the iMac, and later, iPods, iPads, and iPhones. Today it is the most valuable company in the world.

Can this happen for BlackBerry? It’s more possible than you think.

lol

apple turned itself around in 1 year, clearly blackberry can after 5+

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Apple turned itself around in at least 5 years minimum, and really more like 10 years.

1998 apple was solidly tire fire apple, same for 99 and 2000

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mishaq posted:

lol

apple turned itself around in 1 year, clearly blackberry can after 5+
in politics it is generally understood that when a struggling campaign points to the "dewey defeats truman" election as proof that the polls call be wrong and they could still win this thing as the official signal that its all over, the equivalent of waving a white flag

in tech business it looks like comparing yourself to pre-turnaround apple is going to fulfill the same role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Apple turned itself around in at least 5 years minimum, and really more like 10 years.

1998 apple was solidly tire fire apple, same for 99 and 2000

realistically, apple only became the way it is since 2007. ipods were cool but not 150 billion in cash cool

• Locked thread