Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Doyyyyyy can I plug my MacBook Air into a PlayStation four and have a ssd anooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Metanaut posted:

PS4 + Samsung 850

how does it feel to have too much money

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

how does it feel to have too much money

What size did he get tho? Anything in the 500GB and under range is actually quite cheap now.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
It's the 250 GB version (yes, that's enough for me), they're $85 on Amazon right now.

I bought it because my PC could also use a new drive and I was curious to see if it makes any difference on PS4. The conclusion is, yes, but a minor one and probably not worth it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah thing is, you cam pay the same amount and get 2 tb as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah at the end of the day this is the better idea.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

If you don't need 2 TB for anything you really don't need a 2 TB drive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Its nice being able to have more games on your hard drive at one time. I guess if you are someone that only plays one or two games at a time though then its not such a big deal.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ineffiable posted:

where

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't buy an ssd for your ps4; it's not worth it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is what I would recommend getting, Western Digital makes the best platter based disk drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5EM2X31800

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Metanaut posted:

Trip report PS4 + SSD (Samsung 850) :

Everything UI related works slightly faster, quitting games etc. Loading time improvement varies, starting games is faster, but not mind blowing. In-game a little bit more notable, I was way before others on the map in Blops3 (:toot:). Bloodborne loads in about 5 seconds from pressing continue in main menu.

So I'd say it's a decent upgrade, if you can get a good deal on a drive and maybe don't need that much space.

For most games it's a small upgrade. However as someone who primarily plays FFXIV on my PS4 the SSD was a godsend. It loads everything up incredibly fast compared to the stock drive and big patches/installs for things now also go pretty quickly.

I have the 500gb one though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone tell me the release date for R6 Siege? It seems every website I go to tells me a different release date.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

December 1st.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I finally played TLOU Factions for the very first time yesterday and I am very very terrible. It's fun leaving bombs all over the place though. What's funny is when I'm down I spend half my time screaming into the mic because someone is trying to revive me without letting me get out of the sights of whoever just headshotted me from a balcony somewhere first. By all means though, come and kneel perfectly still beside me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RichterIX posted:

I finally played TLOU Factions for the very first time yesterday and I am very very terrible. It's fun leaving bombs all over the place though. What's funny is when I'm down I spend half my time screaming into the mic because someone is trying to revive me without letting me get out of the sights of whoever just headshotted me from a balcony somewhere first. By all means though, come and kneel perfectly still beside me.
TLOU MP remains the only game that can break the patience and politeness of someone like me. I recommend not playing with pubs with mics, because you're going to feel very tempted to say something off the cuff.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NESguerilla posted:

They gave me the quests and I haven't done them yet. But the quest markers are still on those two characters, so I don't know where to go to complete them.

I had this happen, too. The guy who gives you the Scribe quest and the quartermaster have quest markers because they somehow were turned on in your Misc. quests at the bottom of your active quests. SelectMisc and there will be a bunch of little side quests including those two which you can then turn off.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was planning to play Alien Isolation on Halloween, but the game ended up arriving a little too late for that. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Outside of the set-piece sequences the Alien is more likely to appear the longer you hang around an area so efficiency is a lot more effective than slowly creeping around everywhere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was planning to play Alien Isolation on Halloween, but the game ended up arriving a little too late for that. Is there anything I should know before diving in?

never crouch walk its too slow.

staying mobile is the most important thing. the alien will likely find you and usually not go away from you if you hunker down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Good to know, yeah I was wondering whether it was possible to get stuck in an unwinnable state or something. This is a game I probably would have savescummed in, so I guess it's good they took away that option...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the save stations alert you when saving is not safe so you don't try to interface with them in a 10 second animation with an alien right behind you.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Enjoy opening many doors in slightly different ways!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Static Rook posted:

Enjoy opening many doors in slightly different ways!

yeah the game is about 5 hours longer than it should be and the only late game variety they think up is new 30 second long welding animations

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
I'm tempted to get the new COD, but I'm not going to pay no g.d. one hundred dollars. Is any of the extra junk in the season pass / deluxe edition important for a good time in MP?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

MPLS to NOLA posted:

I'm tempted to get the new COD, but I'm not going to pay no g.d. one hundred dollars. Is any of the extra junk in the season pass / deluxe edition important for a good time in MP?

People are still playing MW2. You don't need a season pass.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Wait for the DLC to actually start coming out before you actually decide, I guess? I'm pretty sure the only thing you get right now if you buy the deluxe edition are some skins and you only save like $10 by doing so instead of buying it later

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dude you can find a physical copy of a new release COD for like $40 within a week of release

If you want the DLC get the DLC it's not even out yet so I'm not sure how you expect to be swayed. That said 99% of idiots like me that buy the season pass regret it. (I bought it for block ops 3 :downs: )

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Real hurthling! posted:

never crouch walk its too slow.

staying mobile is the most important thing. the alien will likely find you and usually not go away from you if you hunker down

If you're playing on hard it's almost exact opposite. Sprint literally never, walk when there are no beeps, crouch walk most of the time, especially in hot zones, and hide as soon as you hear the alien on the ground. The alien will search an area once or twice, then gently caress off for a bit. If you don't gtfo of the immediate area, itll find you the second time around if you're in the open, or third if you're in a closet or similar. I really liked the game and have lots of praise for how accurately it nailed the atmosphere, but you wouldn't watch a 16 hour Alien movie without getting bored and unfortunately that ends up being the case. little past the halfway mark, chapter 10 iirc, you do get the means of forcing the alien to gently caress off, but you have to hide far and quick if you do since the AI is an expert at bullshitting its way right around you from behind.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Sorry, all. I forgot what AAA gaming was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of AAA: can't wait for the Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta sequel on the PS4.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Check out this deal:
DualShock 4 Wireless PS4 Controller + COD: Black Ops III + Fallout 4

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/168521

Sent using Slickdeals for iOS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Sony DualShock 4 Wireless PS4 Controller (Random Color)"

smh if you don't care what color your controller is

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

precision posted:

"Sony DualShock 4 Wireless PS4 Controller (Random Color)"

smh if you don't care what color your controller is

Mine's like gray, so what.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They made Gravity Rush retail for the US.
Oh god how many copies of this do I have to buy to not make it fail?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That game was pretty great yeah

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

HGH posted:

Oh sweet. I was going to buy it anyway, but physical sounds like a good way to go.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HGH posted:

They're already developing a PS4 sequel, so I'd assume they're more concerned with the sales of that than a port.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, I'm pretty sure Dogmeat has completely vanished. I told him to go back to Sanctuary and he's nowhere to be seen, even if I use the bell that summons all the settlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Sorry, all. I forgot what AAA gaming was.

Really you can't be blamed, there hasn't been a worthwhile AAA game since the PS2 gen.

• Locked thread