Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Great article. It pulls together a lot of what I think people here have pieced together. The long-form census and StatsCan, Kevin Page's attempts to assess the impact of the budget cuts in various ministries, and the seemingly petty policies that seemed to appeal to the Conservative base and no one else all make more sense in this interpretation. I'm always weary of anyone who says "you can understand someone through THIS document!" but it does help explain show exactly why Harper sought to starve the beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

This is probably the most coherent and convincing argument I've read about the Harper Conservative ethos. I disagree about the last line though. Harper can hardly take credit for a lack of federalist initiatives in the coming years if it's really the fault of a poorly performing economy for not providing enough tax revenue to operate those federalist initiatives. The last bit describes exactly the type of low bar that most of us were hoping to pass - a reversal of the anti-interventionist model of Canadian government that results in weaker or non-existent federal services. If this is all we can hope for in the coming years, it's disappointing but not exactly surprising.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Morroque posted:

If I am reading that article correctly, does that mean Harper essentially wasn't a federalist? Does that make his party the Bloc Albertois?

If everything he did was to essentially force Alberta to become more independent and to protected it from the other provinces, damning even his own support in rural Ontario, then the only thing he would stop short of was shattering confederation? (And even then?)

Does that mean if nothing happens to ease western alienation, we're going to have to it all over again?

No, it took the collapse of the federal conservatives and years of consolidation to bring the Harper government into power. The CPC had to reach out to a lot of different groups to gain power, and those gains have been in many ways erased. Alberta can't elect a government alone, and in any case Calgary and Edmonton both sent Liberals to the HoC. All indications are that the Cons underestimated both the vote of historically non-voting groups and the animosity they created even in their core supporters. This is not to say that the conservatives can't gain power again, but history isn't going to repeat itself in the same way. It remains to be seen what the conservatives will even become now that Harper is gone.

E: that is a good analysis though. Ties things together well and shows how much the Cons were puppets to Harper's guiding vision.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 14, 2015

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well guys if you need a little faith I did get an email from someone begging us to stay the course with the refugees because they are fleeing this violence not the ones perpetrating it.

Also fun fact France has taken in 500. Yes 500 only.

France has taken in 500 only partly because refugees are avoiding France in favor of other EU nations.

I'd love to see Canada take in as many Syrian refugees as they reasonably can while keeping the process stable. Take them in, show them the wonders of a secular nation and Western living, disperse them evenly throughout the cities and don't let them coalesce into ghettos, turn them into good and loyal Canadian citizens.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

France has taken in 500 only partly because refugees are avoiding France in favor of other EU nations.

I'd love to see Canada take in as many Syrian refugees as they reasonably can while keeping the process stable. Take them in, show them the wonders of a secular nation and Western living, disperse them evenly throughout the cities and don't let them coalesce into ghettos, turn them into good and loyal Canadian citizens.

Thing is, in Europe, open borders allow migrants who settle in Belgium to carry out terrorist attacks in Paris.

As an American, I would only feel safe with heightened scrutiny at the Canadian border, in order to prevent possible attacks from resulting in Republican electoral victories.

Geoid
Oct 18, 2005
Just Add Water

Dreylad posted:

Gwynne Dyer published a book recently about the issues we're talking about and unlike his last couple of books, this one, by all the reviews so far, seems solid.

I'm halfway through it. As usual well-written and full of information that should be required to have an opinion on the Middle East. People I talk to about ISIS can't even describe what branch of Islam they adhere to, let alone form opinions beyond bomb/not bomb the area. Put it on your Christmas lists for people looking into more detail on what the heck is going on in Syria or Iraq.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Actual email I just got posted:

Mr. Justin Trudeau is all about sex he kisses everywhere and promotes abortion. He will fix everyone's problems by injecting them with drugs or killing them off by the so call innocent murder of euthanasia. This way we will have less health taxes and more money on our pay cheque. He also has wonderful ideas of bring all Canadian troops back home to make Canada more "loving". He also plans on telling Putin off in the face! Overall the Liberal party is all about have fun loss your mind and put Canada into unreachable deficits. Just one big sex drug driven party. And now that is really real change!

I love my job.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Can I get in on some of those drugs?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love my job.

Canadian Political Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love my job.

Canadian Politics Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

e: ^^ :argh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Please read the thread before posting, TIA :v:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

JawKnee posted:

Canadian Politics Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party.

Mods please do the needful.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
"Drug driven sex party" sounds better, I think.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

no way, this makes it sound like we're all on the various big blue pills

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Can I get in on some of those drugs?

Forget that - I could use the sex more. (If I recall election night correctly, so could BoD.)

e: even though the PM might not make for the best wingman, it's worth a shot, right?

Canadian Politics Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party. needs to happen

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

bunnyofdoom posted:

I love my job.

How's about the guy whose job it is to read those on the radio and laugh himself crosseyed? I love his job.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

OSI bean dip posted:

Mods please do the needful.

For the love of god, PLEASE.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I can't wait until someone from the press finds out that one of JT's liberal party minions is posting private emails from outraged constituents because he thinks they're dumb. Yeah that's really respectful. The deserve to be made fun of because they disagree with my party!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't wait until someone from the press finds out that one of JT's liberal party minions is posting private emails from outraged constituents because he thinks they're dumb. Yeah that's really respectful. The deserve to be made fun of because they disagree with my party!

I don't know if that email was disagreement or not.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Don't snitch.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Don't ruin this for everyone CI, also Canadian Politics Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party is a terrific idea.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Email author found.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Did anyone else read the National Post article about Trudeau and his wife being TOO affectionate in public, unlike the more Prime Misistral Harper and his wife?

It's pretty awesome, the deepest barrel scrapings I've read in a while!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Professor Shark posted:

Did anyone else read the National Post article about Trudeau and his wife being TOO affectionate in public, unlike the more Prime Misistral Harper and his wife?

It's pretty awesome, the deepest barrel scrapings I've read in a while!

I'm pretty sure that article was tongue in cheek

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

In America, it would also be a crime, were the email to be sent to an official account.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Angry stupid words.

Don't be a dick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

In America, it would also be a crime, were the email to be sent to an official account.

Good thing we're not in America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good thing we're not in America.

And who's fault is that?

Personally, I blame Laura Secord.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

And who's fault is that?

Definitely Amor de Cosmos on this coast.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Gus Hobbleton posted:

JUST WATCH TRUDEAU START A loving WAR

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would welcome Justin's tender butterfly kisses :kimchi:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

And who's fault is that?

Thomas Jefferson

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

Thomas Jefferson

What did he ever do to Canada?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alctel posted:

I'm pretty sure that article was tongue in cheek

Maybe, but since it's NP I went in reading it as being sincere :shrug:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

My Imaginary GF posted:

And who's fault is that?

MMMMMmmmm Chocolate victory.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thanks mods! Great title :laffo:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

What did he ever do to Canada?

"The acquisition of Canada this year will be a mere matter of marching"

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The British Redcoats and Navy, various native tribes who opted to side with the British, the Quebecois choosing not to rise up, the reluctance of poorly drilled militia to fight outside their home states and the general reluctance of New England's merchants to fund a war with their main trading partner explain why the territories that became Canada weren't absorbed by the Americans between 1775 and 1815. However, Canada as a political entity exists independently from the United States mostly because in the mid-19th century the British abandoned their mercantilist policies (which took away Canada's favoured trade position) while the Americans started adopting much higher tariffs (restricting Canada's largest non-British market for trade goods) and thereby created pressure among the upper classes to pressure for greater unity. The threat of a stronger American federal government run by the North, which became a very real threat during the Civil War, and the restlessness of rebellious western territories, is what gave the actual impetus for the creation of the country.

Still, I remember reading an American pamphlet written in the very late 19th or early 20th century that described what the world might look like in the year 2000 and one of the details that stuck out was the author writing that the first American President born in Ontario had just been elected. So even around 1900 there were semi-serious musings about a continent spanning American federation. Hell, one of the reasons Seward engineered the purchase of Alaska is because he thought it would create an irreversible pressure for the absorption of Canada's pacific coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All true, but if you look at the correspondence and the way people talk about North America, before the War of 1812, British North American colonists didn't consider there to be a border between BNA and the US. The people living south of them were their cousins, and that's after 300 000 loyalists were booted out of the Thirteen Colonies. Afterwards they did. The war had a major impact on creating two distinct political entities in the minds of the people living on either side of the border, and pushed BNA further into the British orbit.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2015