Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I had to go to extraordinary lengths to get the peter kenny narration of excession. I already have a different version but it's crap quality and probably ripped off of a cassette.

also loving simon and schuster for making the ebook for look to windward $16 or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

fwiw the audiobook of american gods is really good

also IT as read by that guy from wings

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah, I kinda liked it.
why are there so many unironic puppygate fascismlords in this thread... liking the bad heinlein book... mother fuckers

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
the one really awful book that heinlein wrote, called "starship troopers"

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
please no not again

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I liked it

when i was 13

it had loving powered armor with micro nukes and jump jets ffs

although i did find it odd that the first campaign was against "the skinnies" who were all slender dark-skinned humanoids that didn't seem to be a threat but they just bounced through their town in this badass power armor lobbing nuclear grenades into churches and poo poo

maybe it was satire to begin with

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i saw the movie first and knew nothing about heinlein, but had read all the Bill the Galactic Hero books, so i went into the book pre-disposed to believe it was satire

it was probably the best way to enjoy it

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've never read anything by Heinlein, but certain people in this thread are addicted to righteous indignation. I wouldn't be shocked if they deliberately overlooked a satirical tone in any work.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the movie was better, but the book wasn't bad

and it has made more people mad than mein kampf has

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

there's a book called Armor by john steakley, which isn't exactly a good book but it was written in reaction to starship troopers not having enough gritty spaceman bug fighting so if that's the itch you want to scratch give it a read.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Glorgnole posted:

there's a book called Armor by john steakley, which isn't exactly a good book but it was written in reaction to starship troopers not having enough gritty spaceman bug fighting so if that's the itch you want to scratch give it a read.

thanks

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

I liked it

when i was 13

it had loving powered armor with micro nukes and jump jets ffs

although i did find it odd that the first campaign was against "the skinnies" who were all slender dark-skinned humanoids that didn't seem to be a threat but they just bounced through their town in this badass power armor lobbing nuclear grenades into churches and poo poo

maybe it was satire to begin with

tbh, i liked scifi and fantasy much more when i was 13

most of it is meant for kids anyway

this will probably also be a controversial opinion itt

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
most of it is not meant for kids but is fit only for them anyway

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
these anonymouse guys are super friendly, it is scaring me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

most of it is meant for kids anyway

this will probably also be a controversial opinion itt

nah i don't think it will cause much upset. given the fate of this thread's OP it is probably best to be very clear on exactly what things are meant for children

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a canticle for leibowitz seems like it would make an awful audiobook. it's quite long, it uses multiple narrators, and much of the text is the interior thoughts of these narrators.

it is a good book though

i do basically all my 'reading' by audiobook and ive never had a problem. the only time i had an issue was during the martian when the narrator pronounced ASCII as ASC2 over and over

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

nah i don't think it will cause much upset. given the fate of this thread's OP it is probably best to be very clear on exactly what things are meant for children

oh ffs

what's the deal with scifi and pedos

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
normal rapists like fantasy, pedos like scifi

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

a_world_called_gor.wav

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah but piers anthony is more a fantasy author than scifi, and he's extremely pedo

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
what about a sci fi where the characters get teleported to a fantasy world and it's also anime?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah but piers anthony is more a fantasy author than scifi, and he's extremely pedo

might be the exception that proves the rule?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

there has been a few threads in ask/tell made by prison guards and prisoners. most prisons seem to have dungeons & dragons groups. and they are filled with pedos

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
well they need to put their dragons somewhere

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nintendo Kid posted:

actually he writes a lot of both and incidentally is revoltingly lecherous about grown women too

makes you think

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dodoman posted:

these anonymouse guys are super friendly, it is scaring me
it's like a weird knitting circle, or maybe pet island, just go with it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dodoman posted:

well they need to put their dragons somewhere

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

there has been a few threads in ask/tell made by prison guards and prisoners. most prisons seem to have dungeons & dragons groups. and they are filled with pedos

Valuum is back but in some kind of hosed up rehab or something

he's the guy with the stories about d&d pedos in prison

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

d&d pedos in prison

the focus group threw out a whole load of suggestions before they settled on "biker mice from mars"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The 'skinnies' were allied with the 'bugs' so humanity decided to brutally pwn a few towns to make them decide that allying with humanity is a smarter plan. IIRC.

I don't think Heinlein is the bees knees but I think it's weird how it's a widely-held belief that he only wrote characters that spouted his political ideals or whatever. He definitely wrote way too much weird sex stuff though. And Stranger In A Strange Land is not good

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

The 'skinnies' were allied with the 'bugs' so humanity decided to brutally pwn a few towns to make them decide that allying with humanity is a smarter plan. IIRC.

I don't think Heinlein is the bees knees but I think it's weird how it's a widely-held belief that he only wrote characters that spouted his political ideals or whatever. He definitely wrote way too much weird sex stuff though. And Stranger In A Strange Land is not good

That's one of the many scifi books I started reading but didn't finish.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

I don't think Heinlein is the bees knees but I think it's weird how it's a widely-held belief that he only wrote characters that spouted his political ideals or whatever.

I thought you said you'd read a heinlein

like literally every book of his ive read has had an author self insert straight up telling the reader what he thinks

his publishers tried to get him to tone it down so he said they were censoring him, then stranger got huge and they let him do whatever he wanted and then we got lazarus long

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
you are right that stranger is not good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I tried to read a piers anthony book once and I and literally threw it into the garbage after a few chapters

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

http://avclub.com/article/revisiting-the-sad-misogynistic-fantasy-of-xanth-104382 posted:

It’s a cliché in cases like this to say that such-and-such writer (or artist or filmmaker) “raped my childhood.” Looking back, I wouldn’t go so far as to say Anthony raped my childhood—maybe just lightly fondled it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The monsters in the new episode of Doctor Who were creatures literally made of eye boogers.

Also the villain wins and apparently destroys the human race.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I thought you said you'd read a heinlein

like literally every book of his ive read has had an author self insert straight up telling the reader what he thinks

his publishers tried to get him to tone it down so he said they were censoring him, then stranger got huge and they let him do whatever he wanted and then we got lazarus long

I enjoyed the cat who walks through walls but I also completely spaced out during the lazarus long chapters

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the focus group threw out a whole load of suggestions before they settled on "biker mice from mars"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Action Jacktion posted:

the villain wins and apparently destroys the human race.

a good start.

y'all want some dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The pain, so unexpected and undeserved had for some reason cleared away the cobwebs. ... now in the dark world where I dwell, ugly things, and surprising things, and sometimes little wondrous things, spill out in me constantly, and I can count on nothing.

• Locked thread