Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiddyCat
Aug 5, 2013

The cat that drives a tank

Hellsau posted:

oh right clan wars used to exist on a Europe map. I was farming gold with PURPL when I first started doing clan wars so I guess I missed the actual fun. Maybe the original CW was fun, but it hasn't been for a long time.

That was more than two years ago. Rest in peace fun. Farming gold in Britain wasn't particularly fun because there were just tons of terrible clans every night forever and it was a total slaughter every time. If they could do a campaign that offered a reason for competition and an actual reward for performing well, that might recapture some of the magic for you, but fat chance of that ever happening.

Pretty much, yeah. I mean PBKAC is basically kill in Tanks because the only remaining compulsion my officers had to organize cw every night died on the crucifix that was the new system. It's only a matter of time until it happens to OTTER and the zombie of -G-, I reckon. Allurai jumped ship a bit ago and in the end, he actually led OTTER longer actively than I probably led PBKAC.

You're right, it was more than 2 years ago. Blowing up the Burning Legion was also fun, but the insane burnout from organizing CW every night for over 2 months was what ultimately led to me disenfranchising myself with the game, so it's a bit harder to look fondly on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think the problem with all of you big clans burning out over that is that you keep on wanting to be the fat cats sitting on the map and farming the gold, when really you should have just come in for a week or two, pissed all over the floor, take the pubbies' lunch money and then just gently caress off again for a while.

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?
I made a post in Private Games about an account for sale in case someone was interested.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

Blindeye posted:

Why would they nerf the already crappy AMX 12t?

I actually kind of like the 12t, but yeah it's a weird change. The turret can now get overmatched everywhere by anything with a 90mm gun that the 12t sees (so, basically everything).

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Yep, Hellsau is right, it's 29v1 in this game without a platoon:

http://wotreplays.com/site/2276070#stats

For some reason the replay for my KV-2 loss with 2000 damage didn't upload right, is there a way to delete your WoT replays to replace the file?

Edit: I didn't like the MT-25 at first, but fully upgraded, the thing has grown on me quite a lot.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2276291?secret=a0bc01affbe3526160d6fda0aa903110

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 14, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tracked Amphibians

The ancient Russian prince Oleg put his ships on wheels and raised their sails when he attacked Constantinople in 907. This shows the age of the idea of combat vehicles that can move both on sea and on land.

Amphibious tanks appears only several years after regular tanks. By the start of WWII, they were widespread among all large tank-building nations. Among many projects were those which would never see the light of day, as experts considered them to be little more than fantasy, such as these three.

Blyamka's Amphibious Tachanka

On August 4th, 1942, the chief of the 3rd department of the NKVD, Major Rogov, received a memo. Attached was a blueprint of an unusual fighting vehicle. The blueprint's author was a Polish POW, Josef Yanovich Blyamka. "The proposed "mechanical tachanka" is an amphibious tankette with good aerodynamic qualities, high speed, mobility, and off-road performance, armed with two machineguns with a 2-3 man crew."

Blyamka pointed out that his vehicle was effective during offensive as well as defensive actions. The author also pointed out that his "mechanical tachanka" could fight in areas covered in hamful chemicals. "It is air-tight and air is only delivered through special anti-chemical windows".

Blyamka did not compose a more detailed description, and only listed a few tactical-technical specifications. They were translated from Polish, and were not always understandable. The armour was to be 10 mm thick, and be equipped with "a rubber cover" (presumably a liner). A "wheel ribbon" presumably meant the tracks.

The hull of the "mechanical tachanka" was to be aerodynamic. With a length of 5.1 meters, Blyamka estimated the height to be 0.6 meters. More likely, it would have been about a meter, which is still very low. Sadly, no decisions were made regarding this design, or they did not survive to this day.

Vetchinkin's armoured motorboat

Another project from 1942, but on a completely different level of quality. Its archive folder is covered in secret stamps from GABTU and the Artkom. The project was indexed "tracked amphibious motorboat GKA-1500". It was designed by a group headed by professor N.S. Vetchinkin, the inventor and designer of various other amphibious vehicles.

The description started like so: "The GKA-1500 uses an armoured floating hull... 8 large hollow buoyant wheels, with a tank-type torsion bar suspension... Steel cable tracks with paddles... The tracks propel the vehicle through water along with the engine." The number was derived from the combined horsepower of the vehicle's engines: 1500 hp.

Vetchinkin based his work on that of American designer Albert Hickman. Thanks to its parallel sides and curved bottom, it had good stability and seafaring characteristics. The hull was placed on tracks, a portion of which was equipped with paddles. The submerged half of the tracks "becomes a rowing implement and, hanging in the water, acts as a large diameter paddle-wheel. The vehicle also had propellers on the rear. The buoyant wheels would paddle water towards them, which would decrease the GKA-1500's initial setting.

The 17-ton amphibious motorboat was supposed to reach a speed of 50 kph on water and three times that on land. The fuel reserves were enough for 4 hours at full speed of 8 hours in economy mode.

The hull was 9 meters long, the width was 2 meters, and 3.1-3.2 meters with tracks. With the gun turret, the vehicle was 3 meters tall. A crew of 20 would fit into this volume.

What tasks was the GKA-1500 meant for? Coast guard and landing operations. Vetchinkin wrote "The ability to take a military craft from the water to the shore, move independently on land, and leave back into the water, combined with a high speed and the ability to fire on the move, like a land tank, gives a very noticeable advantage to a navy... when fighting an enemy that does not have similar vehicles."

However, the military component of the project was not thought through at all. The armament of the vehicle was not specified in the description. The only thing mentioned about armour was that its thickness would have the sacrificed for buoyancy. It's likely that Vetchinkin decided that if the military accepts his chassis, then the armament and protection would be their problem. However, the Commissariat of Defense did not see a need in the GKA-1500, and its blueprints settled down in the archives.

Tanks on ice

Perhaps the most interesting idea for the use of armoured vehicles on rivers was proposed shortly before the start of the Great Patriotic War, in the spring of 1941. Even its origins were unusual: the papers arrived to the General Staff from the directorate of north-eastern labour camps. The author was a prisoner of camp #4, engineer Evsey Lvovich Zelinskiy. His proposal was titled "use of ice floes to organize a tank campaign deep into the enemy rear, by camouflaging tanks as sheets of ice".

Zelinskiy proposed that tanks be placed in massive ice crystals ("ice cabins"). The author wrote: "The walls of the ice cabin would be reinforced with wood to retain integrity after collisions". These designs were equipped with propellers powered by the tanks themselves. The tank engines were supposed to run inside the artificial icebergs.

Zelinskiy explained that since it's impossible to navigate rivers with amphibious tanks during ice drifts, there would be no hazards in the way of the tanks other than natural ones. "Even if the enemy knows that tanks are hidden in the ice, he cannot organize an artillery barrage large enough to destroy all the ice." The tankers would receive heated air inside the "ice cabins". The author was sure that the crew could remain inside the ice indefinitely.

The response to Zelinskiy's proposal from the Bureau of Inventions did not survive to this day. The engineer himself was rehabilitated by the Supreme Court of the USSR. Information on his "ice garages" was only found in the archives recently.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ZiddyCat posted:

Pretty much, yeah. I mean PBKAC is basically kill in Tanks because the only remaining compulsion my officers had to organize cw every night died on the crucifix that was the new system. It's only a matter of time until it happens to OTTER and the zombie of -G-, I reckon. Allurai jumped ship a bit ago and in the end, he actually led OTTER longer actively than I probably led PBKAC.

You're right, it was more than 2 years ago. Blowing up the Burning Legion was also fun, but the insane burnout from organizing CW every night for over 2 months was what ultimately led to me disenfranchising myself with the game, so it's a bit harder to look fondly on that.

I was wondering what the gently caress happened.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was wondering what the gently caress happened.

blame wargaming

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Hellsau posted:

blame wargaming

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I, too,

Hellsau posted:

blame wargaming
and imitate Kaiser in using the game as a place to be incredibly toxic all the time

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

stephenfry posted:

I, too,
and imitate Kaiser in using the game as a place to be incredibly toxic all the time

Am I the only goon who doesn't act like an rear end in a top hat to everyone they encounter in this game? Come on guys, just act friendly and respectful and the other players will treat you nicely and with respect. It might even help with getting some teamwork going so you can win more games! There's no real need for that toxic behavior.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Hellsau posted:

Am I the only goon who doesn't act like an rear end in a top hat to everyone they encounter in this game? Come on guys, just act friendly and respectful and the other players will treat you nicely and with respect. It might even help with getting some teamwork going so you can win more games! There's no real need for that toxic behavior.
start an anti-cyberbullying clan and persecute people mercilessly for poor grammar and spelling, being late to fixtures and any other indications of disrespect tia

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

stephenfry posted:

start an anti-cyberbullying clan and persecute people mercilessly for poor grammar and spelling, being late to fixtures and any other indications of disrespect tia

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZZxlGQlcufc1xQXpDYE60aQLd9vcW0u4JhUSupyH_hI/edit?usp=sharing

I got lazy after like three minutes so I would not be a good leader for the [CBCBG].

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hellsau posted:

The Hellsau Way.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZZxlGQlcufc1xQXpDYE60aQLd9vcW0u4JhUSupyH_hI/edit?usp=sharing

I got lazy after like three minutes so I would not be a good leader for the [CBCBG].

Quality work, my man. Sign me up!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So if CW is dead, have they replaced it with anything else that helps ameliorate the grind? Either with gold/credit bonuses, maybe XP bonuses. I don't know why I enjoyed being on for several hours per night for almost a year, but even if I did enjoy it, I don't have the time anymore.

E: also is there a TS that is regularly populated?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

World of Tanks gift tanks reviewed:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18lPuGhSediBnmScDHmbWy-Feb_8y4q9hC9eJxXJTcm8/edit?usp=sharing

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So if CW is dead, have they replaced it with anything else that helps ameliorate the grind? Either with gold/credit bonuses, maybe XP bonuses. I don't know why I enjoyed being on for several hours per night for almost a year, but even if I did enjoy it, I don't have the time anymore.

E: also is there a TS that is regularly populated?

Jesus christ Earge don't play this game, though skirmish tournaments are incredibly lucrative - you'll average between 8 and 11 thousand gold per week on a good team, and just doing the weekend playoffs is 2500 gold if you can get a group of people that actually show up. Gold basically has no value if you're vaguely competent.

There's a TS but most goons have won World of Tanks by now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

As a dog returns to his own vomit, so I repeat my folly.

That sounds pretty awesome, 2500 gold is still a month of premium, right? I just miss playing with and bullshitting with a team of goons. Assuming teamwork is still OP.

E: Does WT have a big goon presence now? I just want goons to gently caress around with and talk with, because I'm a hermit.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 15, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
2500 gold is nowhere near a big enough bribe to play tanks

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Good Lord

Win all the THINGS!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As a dog returns to his own vomit, so I repeat my folly.

That sounds pretty awesome, 2500 gold is still a month of premium, right? I just miss playing with and bullshitting with a team of goons. Assuming teamwork is still OP.

E: Does WT have a big goon presence now? I just want goons to gently caress around with and talk with, because I'm a hermit.

War Thunder is dead. Armored Warfare is the new not-WoT and it has a PvE mode that is pretty fun. The playerbase in WoT is much worse than you remember, and the playerbase in AW is worse than that, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So there's actually goons playing AW? That's the modern one, right? When we're talking bad, are we talking the batleshipping bad or the masturbating in an SS uniform bad?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Hellsau posted:

I don't think you understand. Appoint a self-righteous hyperkeen pubbie secretary and gaslight them into doing everything for you. It does not matter how incompetent they are, they just need to have the time to post grandiose bullshit on the community forums. All you are is a name and a source of critical emails.

e: A tanks version of xenuria would be ideal http://www.donotlink.com/hcul

also thanks megalots for doing the thinking for us and updating your opinions of tanks, I've got a few more free slots now

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 15, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellsau posted:

Jesus christ Earge don't play this game, though skirmish tournaments are incredibly lucrative - you'll average between 8 and 11 thousand gold per week on a good team, and just doing the weekend playoffs is 2500 gold if you can get a group of people that actually show up. Gold basically has no value if you're vaguely competent.
I've been thinking about getting into the competitive half of the game. What's the best way to go about finding a team? Any goon teams that are still active?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So there's actually goons playing AW? That's the modern one, right? When we're talking bad, are we talking the batleshipping bad or the masturbating in an SS uniform bad?

I have not noticed much Nazism yet. I have noticed that none of the games are close and you will routinely only have 3 to 5 players in the entire match deal an acceptable amount of damage, so if you're one of those players you'll just be doing ludicrous amounts of damage and getting lots of credits and XP. I don't actually find that fun, and it's what makes me so disappointed about World of Tanks - I don't want to have to face six enemy tanks at once and STILL get shot in the rear end due to the rest of my team already dying to an inferior force on the other side of the map.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I've been thinking about getting into the competitive half of the game. What's the best way to go about finding a team? Any goon teams that are still active?

My usual plan to get on a tournament team is to wait until Sunday, go to the tournament signup page, sort by "forming" and "number of applicants", and find a team with a space left. I usually try to get whoever has the best stats among the leaders of the teams, and ask them in game, "hey I've got the tanks and actually show up reliably, can I get the last spot on your tournament team?"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Review of the reward tanks:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I-kYCQNTOcetwlEVI2EgC1N8eFeN2AitoQoIiyi8nyw/edit?usp=sharing

All that's left is the "fancy" tanks, which is basically everything that has been for sale that isn't currently in-game. Fun! It is a lot of tanks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The average player in AW is about the same as WoT, just AW is much, much more unforgiving with mistakes. Lower tier tanks have no appreciable armor against anything other then autocannons from the front, so matches are decided very early on who can focus fire better. Also the health vs damage scaling in the game is bad, and some tanks make large jumps in firepower per tier while health isn't going up to compensate. Actually with some scout tanks, your health actually goes down.

On the other hand, the game is actually fun, Obsidian is being fair with their F2P things so far and you know, its not WoT.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My team decided to shoot the bad guys I was spotting and it was magical.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey dudes who own an Easy 8 and a Fury, when they remade the E8 model into HD did they nerf the armor to death so that it's as easy to pen as the Fury is? I remember just shooting straight through the Fury mantlet like it wasn't there.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Hey dudes who own an Easy 8 and a Fury, when they remade the E8 model into HD did they nerf the armor to death so that it's as easy to pen as the Fury is? I remember just shooting straight through the Fury mantlet like it wasn't there.

The actual E8 wasn't supposed to have armor on the turret behind the mantlet, and it was modeled correctly when the Fury was introduced. The stated intent was to make the E8 this way when it was converted to an HR model.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Hellsau posted:

Review of the reward tanks:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1I-kYCQNTOcetwlEVI2EgC1N8eFeN2AitoQoIiyi8nyw/edit?usp=sharing

All that's left is the "fancy" tanks, which is basically everything that has been for sale that isn't currently in-game. Fun! It is a lot of tanks.

I'm about 99% sure the StuG IV has pref mm (it's still worthless).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:wtc: I just got 7094 xp for my x5. Wargaming can't even multiply by 5 properly.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Ok, so, I have an S-51 and M12 that I never finished grinding. How much will I hate myself if I resume the grind? I know the 53/55 is bananas, but what about the rest of them? Or the Soviet arty?

Also: which light tank line is the least awful/most fun/best for missions?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Ramming tanks

With the appearance of artillery and firearms, the distance at which enemies engaged in battle constantly grew. In the 19th century, this distance was already measured in kilometers. New types of explosives could tear apart stone walls, shells could penetrate thick steel.

In these conditions, the ram became archaic, both the device and the tactic. If the enemy was engaged at point blank range, it was usually as a last resort. This happened many times in WWII, when pilots and tankers would ram the enemy only when no other option remained. Nevertheless, some inventors thought about specialized tanks designed to ram the enemy. Here are there such examples, differing in levels of talent and creativity.

Tank-Rhinoceros

The first example is the most logical. Knowing that a ramming tank also sustains damage from the collision, auto mechanic A.I. Kudryavtsev proposed a special ramming tank in February of 1942. "The tank will have the following novel elements: 1) Hull 2) flaps for protecting the air intakes 3) road wheels for movement on rails", he wrote.

The hull was equipped with a front bulge, intended for ramming. Kudryavtsev insisted that it should be made from cast steel. The suspension was protected with armoured skirts. Additionally, the tank would have cast steel girders installed at an angle to increase robustness and act as additional protection.

The proposed flaps consisted of two simple armoured plates, between which air was taken in. The concept of moving on rail was not fully explored: "The blueprints for the suspension, (i.e. road wheels for transporting the tank on rail over large distances) were not completed... so I will not describe them." Kudryavtsev did describe the armament for his creation: a 155 mm howitzer, 76 mm gun, and three machineguns.

The 100 ton ram-tank would have been 9 meters in length, and three meters in height and width. The armour was 50 mm all around, with the exception of the ramming bulge. The 2000 hp engine would propel the tank at 35 kph. The crew consisted of 7 men.

The author's moderation separates this design from many other fantasies. Not willing to invent a whole new vehicle, he wrote: "The other components, engine, transmission, etc, can be taken from tanks that are already in production."

Ram on Spokes

This was not the case for Rybnikov (initials unknown), who in March of 1943 proposed a "speed ram" to the Commissariat of Defense. The description fit on a blotter sheet, and the sketch takes up only a scrap of paper, but even these modest sources reveal the author's imagination.

"The design of the tank is unique in its use of large diameter wheels (3-4 meters) instead of tracks with long spoke-spurs" The author did not have rims for these wheels, instead each spoke would end with a spring to dampen the impact of movement. The author's reasoning was that "Due to the spokes instead of tracks, it is harder to knock out the tank, as the odds of hitting one spoke are low, and even if several spokes are destroyed, the tank will keep moving." The spokes would also have paddles and buoys to help the "speed ram" cross water hazards.

The purpose of the design was described as follows: "The tank could be used to ram enemy vehicles, personnel, and headquarters, due to its sudden appearance in the enemy rear with tank riders." A battering ram was not included in the design, nor was any other armament. Aside from the suspension, the author only included an open platform for infantry. Perhaps he intended to describe them in a later letter, but the Department of Inventions received no further correspondence from Rybnikov.

Litovchenko's Tank Destroyer

The aforementioned vehicles at least resembled tanks. The "Ram-Destroyer" proposed by P.A. Litovchenko in December of 1942 was one of the most unusual military projects of the 20th century. This can be seen from the colourful description: "This combat vehicle lacks vulnerable areas, as the armour and irregular motion in a broken line create conditions that would make ordinary methods of fighting tanks ineffective." The inventor claimed that his "Ram-Destroyer" would have perfect off-road performance, deliver incredibly powerful blows (up to 452 tons!), and be universal in attack and defense. What wonderful mechanism did he invent?

Litovchenko was inspired by a construction pile driver. In his imagination, this peaceful device became a weapon. The author wrote: "The crew controls a massive metallic ball, which can be lifted up and fall from there, delivering a powerful strike and allowing the vehicle to move horizontally. The crew can direct this ram towards any objects, and destroy it."

The description took a handful of pages, and turned out very confusing. The gist of the device was this: the main element of the design was a ramming ball. The upper hemisphere held a diesel engine. The ball had a large cylindrical pipe through its axis. The heat generated by burning fuel would activate the piston inside the pipe. Inertia would tear the whole device away from the earth, and propel it upwards. Steering was done with propellers mounted on symmetrically placed cockpits connected to that same pipe. Realizing the danger to the crew's health, Litovchenko proposed that the cockpits be equipped with spring shock absorbers. Finally, gyroscopes would keep the vehicle stabilized.

The text did not contain even a hint of tactical-technical characteristics. However, the sketches allow an estimation of the author's wild fantasy. The specialists' verdict on the "Ram-Destroyer" was brief. One illustration carries a short note: "Send to the archive."

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

McGavin posted:

:wtc: I just got 7094 xp for my x5. Wargaming can't even multiply by 5 properly.

Bonus XP (e.g. 10% bonus for the Wargaming's Own mission) is added after the x5.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Steelion posted:

Ok, so, I have an S-51 and M12 that I never finished grinding. How much will I hate myself if I resume the grind? I know the 53/55 is bananas, but what about the rest of them? Or the Soviet arty?

The T8 American one is pretty good, the T7-9 Soviet ones are basically the same arty with slightly upgraded reload time as you go up (even the gun arc is the same horrible 4 degrees).

The RU-251, T7+ Russian, Bulldog, T71, basically all of the Chinese lights (including premium ones) and AMX 13 90 are all pretty usable in most missions. On the other hand you'd be doing light tank missions which are horrible garbage, worse than SPG ones. I've managed to do all SPG missions for the T55A, and almost all for the T28 in the time it took me to get 10 light missions for T55A. To be frank I wasn't specifically going for them and grinding them, but that's because you need one of 3-5 maps to do most of them so you won't be getting them during regular play. On the other hand you can blop pubbies on almost any map with arty.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Man, am I the crazy one here? A friendly E-50 plugs a shell into the side of my O-Ni as I drive around a corner to shoot a tank, kills me, then figures it's my fault for driving in front of him. That seems like a situation where he should have noticed the gigantic loving tank trundling into view at 15 km/h and maybe not clicked.

mmkay posted:

The T8 American one is pretty good, the T7-9 Soviet ones are basically the same arty with slightly upgraded reload time as you go up (even the gun arc is the same horrible 4 degrees).

The RU-251, T7+ Russian, Bulldog, T71, basically all of the Chinese lights (including premium ones) and AMX 13 90 are all pretty usable in most missions. On the other hand you'd be doing light tank missions which are horrible garbage, worse than SPG ones. I've managed to do all SPG missions for the T55A, and almost all for the T28 in the time it took me to get 10 light missions for T55A. To be frank I wasn't specifically going for them and grinding them, but that's because you need one of 3-5 maps to do most of them so you won't be getting them during regular play. On the other hand you can blop pubbies on almost any map with arty.

The only problem I've run into trying to get the LT missions is that it's loving hard to track a tank with the 76mm peashooter the Type 64 has.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo, thanks for reminding me about the Type 64. It's on sale for 30% off (2450 gold) and I just pulled the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Steelion posted:

S-51 is hilarious if you have the patience to play it. Horrible aim time and reload and very narrow arc makes setup and preaiming crucial.
But if you get that too work, it is a pretty fun tank since you have a tier9 gun on a tier 7 chassis. Ie you get to shoot tier5s with a tier 9 gun.
Also, Tigers have a tendency to just disappear when you hit them.
Every game you pray to RNGesus for deliverance and when he delivers it is awesome.

The SU-14-2 is more of the same, but with slightly better handling and reload 1 tier higher. Still fun and a more consistent tank, but lack the ups and downs of the S-51.
Also, the grind is so loving long.