Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

mlmp08 posted:

ok. It should be no surprise that doubling your damage means you can kill things real fast, I guess, especially at high levels.

He's normalising his damage, not doubling it. I appreciate his/her disdain for bullet sponge as artificial difficulty, but I doubt the AI and gunplay in this game will ever truly be challenging even if enemies do around triple damage. As always it's very easy to game the system in this kind of sandbox environment.

Maybe there is some happy place of reduced damage output and increased damage input, but probably stepping in and out from behind containers is sufficient to pretty much be a chess grandmaster of combat in a Bethesda game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Chalks posted:

It's weird, I'd always assumed that when something gets marked as "cleared" it was empty. Particularly with enemies outside of a location I had always assumed that if I've killed a boss somewhere that it'll be safe to walk that same path again without encountering the exact same boss dropping the exact same items.

Then again, I generally just fast travel everywhere so I'm not sure I ever put that to the test.

They get marked as "cleared" in Skyrim as well, but they still respawn after a while. It's just a thing these game do. :shrug: I don't mind it, I've played games where nothing ever respawns and it sucks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

How do I change my FoV and not screw up the pipboy? When I set FoV to 110, the pipboy and computer screens are tiny.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Oh oops, I misunderstood the mod description. I accidentally knocked the enemy damage down to 1.5x from 2x. No wonder things got easy suddenly. I put it on 3x now. Now the game should be fun

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Das Butterbrot posted:

hm yes lets whitewash our game about the loving post apocalyptic future-1950s wasteland.

newsflash 1950s america was racist/mysoginist so naturally music from that era is aswell.

do you think wagners works shouldnt be performed because he was a huge antisemite?

The same people complaining about such music should complain about the violence in the game too. Shooting a man is way worse than calling him racist names. Literally.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

eSporks posted:

How do I change my FoV and not screw up the pipboy? When I set FoV to 110, the pipboy and computer screens are tiny.

I put it at 90. Pip-boy is smaller, but not unbearably small. In fact it looks better this way to be honest, so long as your vision isn't like -5.00
[

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lemon posted:

Did you go into Fort Hagen after following the trail? I had the same problem, I followed the trail there and decided to then go back to camp and sort some poo poo out before returning. Dogmeat was nowhere to be found, so I summoned him with the console, only for him to immediately high-tail it all the way back to Fort Hagen. I went inside, did the next objective and then he was back to normal.

I had Valentine as my follower, we were just following the dog. The dog was waiting outside the fort before, but now he's not. What's the console command to summon him?

In other news, I need Dirty water for some cooking. Purified water won't do. Can I make this easily?

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

I LOVE HOW THE ENEMIES CAN THROW MILLIONS OF GRENADES WITH PERFECT ACCURACY ITS GREAT

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My problem with the armour system in this game is it makes being pretty difficult. You can't put all those individual armour pieces on quick select so I can't switch between my casual outfit and my not-get-murdered armour easily. Which is why I've been wearing cage armour for the whole game. I actually found some legendary pieces that would be useful for my melee dead, but he would look like an MMO character wearing them with how horribly they clash.

Yes I am this petty.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeza posted:

I put it at 90. Pip-boy is smaller, but not unbearably small. In fact it looks better this way to be honest, so long as your vision isn't like -5.00

from : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501

"Finally to change you view model fov (your size of your gun model and pipboy) do the below.
If you find your pipboy to be to small, press ~, the type fov XX, where XX is a smallish number if you want it to be larger on screen and vice versa. This will take same trial and error like the fov to get what you like. Next type in refreshini, doing so will make it so your game will not revert to the default 80 fov. Next press ~ save your game and from that point on you should be good to go. :)"

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

So it's probably been mentioned but I missed it so has anyone fought and won against the swan monster?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

afkmacro posted:

So it's probably been mentioned but I missed it so has anyone fought and won against the swan monster?
he's just a behemoth, just shoot him with big gun and he die

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't be the only one who thought survival mode was basically one bullet you're dead, one bullet they're dead. A bit like Metro's ranger mode. I was a bit disappointed that it's just a bullet-sponge mode. Hopefully there'll be a hardcore mode mod at some point.

Nah, I'm glad they didn't do that. Modes like that almost always just encourages sniping, and aren't really that hard at all.
The Metro games had to rely on ambushes in order to have some difficulty. That wouldn't really work with an open game like Fallout.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Andrast posted:

from : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551069501

"Finally to change you view model fov (your size of your gun model and pipboy) do the below.
If you find your pipboy to be to small, press ~, the type fov XX, where XX is a smallish number if you want it to be larger on screen and vice versa. This will take same trial and error like the fov to get what you like. Next type in refreshini, doing so will make it so your game will not revert to the default 80 fov. Next press ~ save your game and from that point on you should be good to go. :)"
Have you tried this? It doesn't work. "FoV XX" changes the FoV. Yes it makes your pipboy larger, but also makes your FoV smaller, so I have no idea what he is talking about.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Nah, I'm glad they didn't do that. Modes like that almost always just encourages sniping, and aren't really that hard at all.
The Metro games had to rely on ambushes in order to have some difficulty. That wouldn't really work with an open game like Fallout.

bad opinion

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

eSporks posted:

Have you tried this? It doesn't work. "FoV XX" changes the FoV. Yes it makes your pipboy larger, but also makes your FoV smaller, so I have no idea what he is talking about.

If you save and reload (or use the refreshini console ocmmand) after that the fov resets back to your ini settings but the pip-boy size sticks.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

I had Valentine as my follower, we were just following the dog. The dog was waiting outside the fort before, but now he's not. What's the console command to summon him?

In other news, I need Dirty water for some cooking. Purified water won't do. Can I make this easily?

Open the console
type 'prid 0001d162'
type 'moveto player'

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

NESguerilla posted:

How do (or can you) you set up purified water at a settlement with no water source (which seems to be most/all of them)?

Settlements will produce purified water with the normal ground pumps and in terms of rare scavenge it's much more efficient. Incidentally it makes me a little sad that I didn't realize for so long that chemistry stations can be used to make cutting fluid, which produces oil.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Andrast posted:

If you save and reload (or use the refreshini console ocmmand) after that the fov resets back to your ini settings but the pip-boy size sticks.
Thanks, that is really weird and not explained well in that guide. I didn't know the saving was part of the effect.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

afkmacro posted:

You can pretty easily kite him around sections of the wall/barrier because he has no ranged attack and the melee AI's "tactics" are a pathfinding equation that draws the straightest line towards you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

crime fighting hog posted:

I unlocked the better armor upgrades just in time to head into the Glowing Sea to find Virgil and holy poo poo did having lead paint on my suit do wonders. I took a single rad away the entire trip.

Is the Glowing Sea the best place for farming legendary equipment? I have some really great rifles but want a goddamn minigun that spits fire.

It is, if you don't mind wading through hordes of Radscorpions and Deathclaws.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I would've preferred it as a separate mode, kinda like hardcore in NV. Upping weapon damage to pseudo-realistic levels doesn't really make the game easier or harder, it just demands a different playstyle.

I would love to play a semi-realistic open world FPSRPG where you manage a squad of your own to survive. Like Wasteland 2, but in first person

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds
There is a mod out already for that sound effect isn't there?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Some Stalingrad-y vibes from fighting in downtown Boston at night. Shits great.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

afkmacro posted:

Yeah, he's easy as he's no different from other Super Mutant Behemoths.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Boogaleeboo posted:

She is legitimately a terrible journalist just like the DJ is legitimately awkward as gently caress.
It's about ethics in video game journalists.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds
There is a mod out already for that sound effect isn't there?

From a comment in that video: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/122/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Minesweep posted:

I LOVE HOW THE ENEMIES CAN THROW MILLIONS OF GRENADES WITH PERFECT ACCURACY ITS GREAT
I restarted and went into Lexington to try and find the pipe entrance I'd heard about (didn't find it until I traced my way to it form inside the Corvega plant argh) and was walking around quietly minding my business when I hear a female voice shout, "Hey, you!" and then I get shot by a power armor-wearing fatman-toting raider who was on a walkway far enough above me I couldn't see her.

Molotov and frag accuracy is nasty enough that I'm considering going for that perk to reduce explosive damage kinda early.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
hmmm I dont kno wwhy people are saying they had a hard time at Corvega, maybe it was because I wasnt on survival? Im on Very Hard and I cleared it in my first attempt, well I died once because someone shot a mini nuke inside and killed me somehow but I never had to deal with molotovs and all of the laser turrets were dealt with quickly with a few laster pistol blasts. Some people were saying this is an area where you should be using power armor, but it was hardly a challenge ... is it different on survival or something? I never felt like I was in trouble and any cat walk areas, well you can just peek your head out and spam VATS until you find enemies and get the jum on them first

just didnt seem like as hard as people were making it sound, I expected to have molotovs raining death from cat walks and invisible snipers everywhere or something :ohdear:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Gonkish posted:

There actually are explosive mini guns and reload free fat men. They're just much rarer because those weapons are fairly rare already.

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware. It's why I'm so annoyed that I'm running around in a shoulderpad of -10 robot damage.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It's probably because Corvega is a very vertical stage and the Bandits are firing at you from both above and below you, and are rather accurate with Molotovs, not to mention again, a new player will head there very early on armed with maybe a Pipe Gun and probably the Vault 111 suit which isn't that hot for protection.

Then there's the Power Armoured Raider with the Fat Man stationed outside the place who will probably blow you up a few times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Where do I put a water purifier? I tried putting one on dirt but it didn't work.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Where do I put a water purifier? I tried putting one on dirt but it didn't work.

In water, because it purifies water, so a pond, or a river.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Absolutely, you'll also want high luck for the crit building, richochet isn't as useful as I'd hoped, but blitz makes doing multiple melee sneak attacks doable. If you're going the weapons route, check out the swattah store in diamond city, I got a bat there that let me do 7 VATS attacks and then I put bleed on it.

Welp, time to reroll a Psycho Jet-huffing baseball bat wielding Alex Rodriguez then. :v: Codsworth will even voice the name!

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Honestly between the rape metaphor song, the racist song and the misogynist song maybe they should've been a little more selective with their soundtrack choices.

I know right jeez can I get a trigger warning about songs from the 50s in a video game Mad Maxx Roleplaying Destitute Survivor Misery Simulator 4?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not a dirt purifier.

Put it in the river behind Sanctuary, and then build a little generator near it, and run a wire to the purifier.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

afkmacro posted:

Yeah he was piss-easy, it just took a lot of rounds and kiting him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

My problem with the armour system in this game is it makes being pretty difficult. You can't put all those individual armour pieces on quick select so I can't switch between my casual outfit and my not-get-murdered armour easily. Which is why I've been wearing cage armour for the whole game. I actually found some legendary pieces that would be useful for my melee dead, but he would look like an MMO character wearing them with how horribly they clash.

Yes I am this petty.

Give your desired armour set a matching naming pattern, it will cause it to all show up together in the pipboy.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

afkmacro posted:

Yeah I took him out at level 18, he's pretty easy to kite around.

I did however find a robotics building where I entered, saw a Sentry Bot and Assaultron among a bunch of Protectrons and just turned around and walk out. Assaultrons are really difficult in close quarters.

I feel like a lot of my difficulty with this game is that armor doesn't seem to ramp up much, I keep finding new and better ways to kill things but my survivability doesn't go up and the enemies precisely thrown molotovs still kill me in one hit.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Jet and it's derivatives trivialize any fight.

• Locked thread