Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

It's nice that he kept his stupid pretentious intro and horribly lit face on screen for exactly a full minute before getting to the gameplay, it's important to establish that this is a Serious Intellectual Thing. Now let's talk about a completely different game and not show any of it. I mean, not even a screen shot. This is off to a great start, I'm thrilled to be participating in this man's intellectual discourse.

EDIT: And in conclusion, fuckin' Gamergate amirite? Now watch me read a piece of paper rather then learn how to light a scene. I am so very cultured.

Puppy Time posted:

Jesus's butt, dude, if you aren't even paying attention to the conversation, don't try to join in!

It's not much of a conversation, to be honest.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

And you're not much of a conversationalist, but enough of things we cannot change.

I just watched Super Bunny Hop's video of Fallout 4, and frankly this really feels like a Mass Effect lite with a Fallout skin. Honestly I feel like I got it completely right from what I saw in the previews. Time to give the preferential treatment that fans give nintendo and see how long it takes for this game to be a slod gaming experience. Maybe by first making the dialogue tree actually show you what you would sayif you pick that option.

And I'm also still really peeved that apparently the ending is practically the same as starchild.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

DStecks posted:

No, he's just a gamergater. All he posts about in this thread is about how much he supports GamerGate.

And you guys are all just his pawns.

I, on the other hand, control the fate of the Middle East.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

No, he's just a gamergater. All he posts about in this thread is about how much he supports GamerGate.

That doesn't sound like me.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That doesn't sound like me.

Beefstew posted:

Ahem :colbert:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Annointed posted:

I just watched Super Bunny Hop's video of Fallout 4, and frankly this really feels like a Mass Effect lite with a Fallout skin. Honestly I feel like I got it completely right from what I saw in the previews. Time to give the preferential treatment that fans give nintendo and see how long it takes for this game to be a slod gaming experience. Maybe by first making the dialogue tree actually show you what you would sayif you pick that option.

Well that's disappointing. If the role-playing aspect has been shafted that much, maybe I won't get this after all. And I'm not sure how much mods will help.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So any word on if Brad is gonna get his Snob Riffs videos back up? I forget how far along he is in restoring his videos.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Horse in Tears posted:

The guy who was doing the Alfred J. Kwak retrospective has finished doing it. I think he was halfway last time it was linked here.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

The show inevitably lost steam after the defeat of Hitlercrow, but the second half still has its moments.

This was a week back and got swallowed up by other discussions, but I just wanna say this was extremely my poo poo.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

FourLeaf posted:

Well that's disappointing. If the role-playing aspect has been shafted that much, maybe I won't get this after all. And I'm not sure how much mods will help.

Personally I wouldn't call the role-playing aspect appreciably more shafted than it was by Fallout 3, as far as the series goes. It's certainly disappointing compared to the RP experience in New Vegas, but I don't think anybody was expecting Bethesda to what Obsidian does best (taste depending). The Mass Effect coat of paint they tossed over the dialogue is just hilariously bad and awkward as all get out. I find myself taking the "Sarcastic" option most of the time; in part because I often don't care about the conflicts presented and it functions somewhat as a coin flip in that regard, and in part by accident. Remove the dialogue wheel, and the writing, so far, is better than what I saw in Fallout 3.

That said, I do feel much of the game-play improvements are solid. The gunplay feels better than it did in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, enemies will use cover and grenades intelligently and the animals typically have a trick up their sleeve. Molerats don't just charge at you like a bundle of free EXP waiting to contribute to your next level, instead preferring to burrow underground as a group and pop up surrounding you. Feral Ghouls are my favorite improvement though as they no longer have any issues with heights or waist high railings. Now they just barrel over obstructions by the waist or fall from whatever height they're at to get on your level (often at the same time!) then pick themselves up and charge.

I like that scavenging is a think that actually makes sense for you to do, rather than an activity NPCs just participate in. I think the weapon modding system is neat, as it can allow you to modify just about any weapon you find to suit what playstyle you're going for, if imperfectly. Find a hunting rifle with a scope, long barrel and a stock, but you're a run and gun shoot from the hip type? Well there's nothing stopping you from cutting all that crap off and rechambering it from .308 cal bullets to .50! It makes me feel like the clever craftsman, rather than getting lucky and being awarded a much better variant of a gun by some clever NPC craftsman.

All of that said, I do find the problems with the game overabundant. Super Bunnyhop's video hits the nail on the head: There is something SOLID here that can be really, REALLY fun, but wait for the patches/mods to come to fix and build on that.

EDIT: I should note that my only progress so far has been doing the basic "Build Sanctuary" quests, helping a Brotherhood paladin fight robots, and getting to Diamond City. I am NOT very far into the game, so take my observations with that grain of salt in mind.

It's also worth noting that in the middle of writing this up I paused, loaded up steam, and put in my refund request.

Well, I was declined. Can't argue with their reasoning, really, so I'll just keep at the game. Focus on the bits I like, stick with the doggie and keep at it. No sense letting the money go to waste!

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like what they did with power armor, turning it into the "One Man Tank" style armored cavalry role it was always presented as in the writing as opposed to just being the highest level armor. Also I found a magazine in my brief playthrough that let me paint flames on it and that was kinda cool.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 13, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's nice that he kept his stupid pretentious intro and horribly lit face on screen for exactly a full minute before getting to the gameplay, it's important to establish that this is a Serious Intellectual Thing. Now let's talk about a completely different game and not show any of it. I mean, not even a screen shot. This is off to a great start, I'm thrilled to be participating in this man's intellectual discourse.

EDIT: And in conclusion, fuckin' Gamergate amirite? Now watch me read a piece of paper rather then learn how to light a scene. I am so very cultured.

It's not much of a conversation, to be honest.

You don't sound cultured at all actually, you sound like some sort of hosed up dweeb who wants to see all sorts of screen shots and stuff.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Did BottledBodhisvata murder somebody while I was looking away? Why does everybody have a beef with him?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

i am tim! posted:

Personally I wouldn't call the role-playing aspect appreciably more shafted than it was by Fallout 3, as far as the series goes. It's certainly disappointing compared to the RP experience in New Vegas, but I don't think anybody was expecting Bethesda to what Obsidian does best (taste depending). The Mass Effect coat of paint they tossed over the dialogue is just hilariously bad and awkward as all get out. I find myself taking the "Sarcastic" option most of the time; in part because I often don't care about the conflicts presented and it functions somewhat as a coin flip in that regard, and in part by accident. Remove the dialogue wheel, and the writing, so far, is better than what I saw in Fallout 3.

That said, I do feel much of the game-play improvements are solid. The gunplay feels better than it did in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, enemies will use cover and grenades intelligently and the animals typically have a trick up their sleeve. Molerats don't just charge at you like a bundle of free EXP waiting to contribute to your next level, instead preferring to burrow underground as a group and pop up surrounding you. Feral Ghouls are my favorite improvement though as they no longer have any issues with heights or waist high railings. Now they just barrel over obstructions by the waist or fall from whatever height they're at to get on your level (often at the same time!) then pick themselves up and charge.

I like that scavenging is a think that actually makes sense for you to do, rather than an activity NPCs just participate in. I think the weapon modding system is neat, as it can allow you to modify just about any weapon you find to suit what playstyle you're going for, if imperfectly. Find a hunting rifle with a scope, long barrel and a stock, but you're a run and gun shoot from the hip type? Well there's nothing stopping you from cutting all that crap off and rechambering it from .308 cal bullets to .50! It makes me feel like the clever craftsman, rather than getting lucky and being awarded a much better variant of a gun by some clever NPC craftsman.

All of that said, I do find the problems with the game overabundant. Super Bunnyhop's video hits the nail on the head: There is something SOLID here that can be really, REALLY fun, but wait for the patches/mods to come to fix and build on that.

EDIT: I should note that my only progress so far has been doing the basic "Build Sanctuary" quests, helping a Brotherhood paladin fight robots, and getting to Diamond City. I am NOT very far into the game, so take my observations with that grain of salt in mind.

It's also worth noting that in the middle of writing this up I paused, loaded up steam, and put in my refund request.

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really like what they did with power armor, turning it into the "One Man Tank" style armored cavalry role it was always presented as in the writing as opposed to just being the highest level armor. Also I found a magazine in my brief playthrough that let me paint flames on it and that was kinda cool.

I'll have to give Super Bunnyhop's video a look-see, he rubbed me the wrong way with that really stupid E3 video of his. He came off as condescending and snobby, so I haven't bothered watching anything more of his. As for me, I think Fallout 4 takes the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach. They give you so much stuff to do but none of it really gels together all that well. The settlement stuff panders to the OCD in everyone but making everything you pick up useful to making stuff but the settlements themselves don't really add much or tie into the world in any meaningful way. Their world-building has improved and MrBTongue will be satisfied to have an answer to "what do they eat" but instead of that he'll be asking "why doesn't anyone loving clean?" Some woman uses a diner as a trade post but there are still 200 year old skeletons sitting in the booths. The weapon and armor customization is great too but for some reason it doesn't let you upgrade the outfits other than the Vault suit and you can't wear outer armor over some things either. Their writing hasn't improved, though. Instead of building connections with characters, they manipulate you with cheap shocking things. Like "oh, this person you know is dead. isn't that sad?" It manipulates the emotion you'd feel of losing a friend rather than exploring why you would feel sad about losing that video game friend in their fictional setting.

It's a step forward for Bethesda but coming from The Witcher 3, which spoiled me with connecting me with the characters and the world they inhabit, it still has a ways to go. I at least applaud them for moving their craft forward, which is more than I can say for companies putting out yearly sequels.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like the robot butler and I liked how his voice sounded when you ran into him 200 years later.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

PiedPiper posted:

Did BottledBodhisvata murder somebody while I was looking away? Why does everybody have a beef with him?

Mainly because they're a GGer who purposefully misunderstands everything everyone says and ignore any context that's necessary for the argument. So yeah, they're a GGer.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't especially care about the GG thing he's just an annoyingly bad poster

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have long since learned to stop paying attention to anything goons say about Fallout games.

And also anything BottledBoddhisvastva says about anything.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have long since learned to stop paying attention to anything goons say about Fallout games.

And also anything BottledBoddhisvastva says about anything.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

JesuOtaku posted a really nice article on Digimon:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-13/why-we-still-love-digimon/.95252

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

He's just a huge rear end in a top hat. Even for the like 10% of things he says that I agree with, I feel the need to disagree with him because of how irritating he is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JO's Digimon videos were some of my favorites she did back when she was still with Channel Awesome. It was nice to find someone talking about Digimon and appreciating it the way I did.

I always found myself more attached to Digimon Tamers more than the Adventure shows. I liked the more grounded, realistic setting and the shift from fantasy to more hard sci-fi, and the sudden cosmic horror stuff later on blew my mind. There's still some nostalgia I have for Tai and the gang, but I find Tamers to be a much more interesting story that holds up better over the years. It might not be as good for kids though

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

watho posted:

Mainly because they're a GGer who purposefully misunderstands everything everyone says and ignore any context that's necessary for the argument. So yeah, they're a GGer.

That's what you say. You that I am. I search for truth and find that I get damned.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rather than more GG bullshit maybe we should discuss something else.

LGR reviews some weird ...maybe edutainment game?

207-563-5532
Oct 20, 2004

hopeandjoy posted:

That's a good idea because if the merits and detriments and content and ongoing drama of gamergate keeps ending up here and I keep getting reports about peoples feelings being hurt by them no one is going to like what happens.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

207-563-5532 posted:

That's a good idea because if the merits and detriments and content and ongoing drama of gamergate keeps ending up here and I keep getting reports about peoples feelings being hurt by them no one is going to like what happens.

Since a mod said it, new thread rule block:

quote:

• Don't be a loving creep and pry into critics' personal lives. They are not (meaningfully) public figures. This includes MST3K-ing Twitter meltdowns.
  • If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie.
  • This is not the <insert current internet blowup> thread, just because an internet reviewer tweets that they're appalled by Candylandghazi doesn't mean we need to have an argument about it. If a reviewer makes a video about it, it's okay, but it still falls under rule 2.
  • NEW VERSION: No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.
  • Don't start posting about posting, it's almost as bad as breaking the first three rules and throws the thread even more catastrophically off topic. If someone is being an rear end report it or come back in a few days.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Beefstew posted:

I just don't understand how this never gets old. It's funny no matter how many times I see it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

I like this guy's style. Also wow that game looks like something I might have made in middle school loving around. How did that end up getting sold?!

207-563-5532
Oct 20, 2004

Jsor posted:

Since a mod said it, new thread rule block:

i'll just take a second to endorse these officially, with the caveat that if you are reported for breaking them, and you post here regularly with your posting bros and are just telling off some poo poo-disturber who pedantically reports people who break the letter of the law, it should not be a big shock to see nobody punished. When i get a report (which is usually from this thread about someones delicate sensibilities or from the giantbomb thread about someone posting anime) i read all of their posts and see what their deal is. If no one is going out of their way to gently caress up everyone else's fun then its probably a good thing for the forum instead of bad. except in the giantbomb thread where i want to remind them that anime is a) good and b) not against the rules.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

207-563-5532 posted:

except in the giantbomb thread where i want to remind them that anime is a) good and b) not against the rules.

you're doing good work

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh......... I don't think that what I drank was coffee.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thank you, mod gods.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

That's what you say. You that I am. I search for truth and find that I get damned.

Is comparing yourself to Jesus really where you want to go here?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CountFosco posted:

Is comparing yourself to Jesus really where you want to go here?

Mods, change my name is NailedBodhisaatva

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
December starts about 2 weeks from now, and that means Doug's Disneycember for this year. I've enjoyed the past Disneycembers (though I felt last year's Studio Ghibli ones were lacking) and looked forward to them each year, but learning all the stuff behind-the-scenes at Channel Awesome left a bad impression, and I'm not sure how to feel about the next month.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think most Ghibli retrospectives would be lacking after JO's series. Because that was loving awesome.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Mods, change my name is NailedBodhisaatva

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mraagvpeine posted:

December starts about 2 weeks from now, and that means Doug's Disneycember for this year. I've enjoyed the past Disneycembers (though I felt last year's Studio Ghibli ones were lacking) and looked forward to them each year, but learning all the stuff behind-the-scenes at Channel Awesome left a bad impression, and I'm not sure how to feel about the next month.

Probably not watch them? I haven't watched any new NC stuff for a while after knowing what went down, it's no skin off my back.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Compendium posted:

Probably not watch them? I haven't watched any new NC stuff for a while after knowing what went down, it's no skin off my back.

This thread is forced to watch a critic they detest and go on about how bad they are or face death.

First it was Josh Hadley, then it was the Game Grumps, now it's Doug Walker.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Since when are the Game Grumps critics? Unless you count Sequilitis, that I enjoyed even as over the top as it was.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

paradoxGentleman posted:

Since when are the Game Grumps critics? Unless you count Sequilitis, that I enjoyed even as over the top as it was.

Sequeilitis was an interesting concept derailed by EgoRapter having the worst ideas about game design I think I've ever heard. His weird adoring love letter to the first level of Mega Man X and how it's this ingenious template for teaching players was insane (it literally boils down to ' It's an easy level that shows off game concepts.').Also the Zelda one is full of the dumbest nitpicks about Ocarina of Time ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

paradoxGentleman posted:

Waaaay back when the PYF version of this thread would bitch about them.

• Locked thread