Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Protons posted:

I know right jeez can I get a trigger warning about songs from the 50s in a video game Mad Maxx Roleplaying Destitute Survivor Misery Simulator 4?

It's not a dirt purifier.

Put it in the river behind Sanctuary, and then build a little generator near it, and run a wire to the purifier.

The puddle at the drive in counts too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it depends on when you run into him. I wrecked Swan with little resistance at lvl 14 and my friend was like "woah how did you kill him. he seemed impossible"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

crime fighting hog posted:

I unlocked the better armor upgrades just in time to head into the Glowing Sea to find Virgil and holy poo poo did having lead paint on my suit do wonders. I took a single rad away the entire trip.

Is the Glowing Sea the best place for farming legendary equipment? I have some really great rifles but want a goddamn minigun that spits fire.

It might be. I ran into so many legendary mobs out there.

Also the fire spitting minigun is a quest reward. quest spoilers You get it if you side with Hancock during the Big Dig quest(or maybe you can pick it up anyways I didn't check since I wanted to get Hancock as my companion). The quest starts in the alley behind KL-E-O's shop in Goodneighbour. You might need to do some other quests in Goodneighbor before it triggers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zeron posted:

Yeah I took him out at level 18, he's pretty easy to kite around.

I did however find a robotics building where I entered, saw a Sentry Bot and Assaultron among a bunch of Protectrons and just turned around and walk out. Assaultrons are really difficult in close quarters.

I feel like a lot of my difficulty with this game is that armor doesn't seem to ramp up much, I keep finding new and better ways to kill things but my survivability doesn't go up and the enemies precisely thrown molotovs still kill me in one hit.
later game armor has rare subtypes that double the DR they give, before modification

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Whenever I try stealing something I'm finding that everyone in the town issues immediately hostile. I'm not in sight, my thing says I'm hidden, yet everybody instantly knows. Is there something I'm missing?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So I just finished the storyline and have been thinking of rerolling on a harder difficulty. Am I going to absolutely hate myself for trying Survival, or should I just do regular Hard?

I ask because people have been saying that you find special stuff and gun only in survival?

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur
Here's my goon review of Fallout 4 for anyone that's still debating and reading this thread:

1. It is good and will likely break sales records spawning tons of good DLC and mods.

2. It's pretty buggy but not game breaking for me so far (playing on PC).

3. It's better than FO3 and NV in most ways. The writing isn't consistently good and especially the actual written stuff on terminals is pretty dry but at least it's optional. I like the conversation system, feels more cinematic to me. The female voice actor is better than the male if you care about that kind of stuff.

4. Settlement building is surprisingly a lot of fun and farming for glue made it satisfying as heck. I foresee a ton of DLC additions to expand on it because it's a little barebones now and probably frustrating to manage if you have OCD (I don't so I don't give a poo poo if walls aren't lined up or my crops aren't being farmed with 110% efficiency).

5. I'm not an aut-gamer so I usually don't care about getting "100%" in games but even still I got to level 32 before going into Boston, mostly from roaming around instead of fast travel, exploring and killing as I please. The world is fun to explore and much more dense and rich than Skyrim or FO3.

6. It's good, buy it and have fun.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

OwlFancier posted:

Give your desired armour set a matching naming pattern, it will cause it to all show up together in the pipboy.

I did not know this! Thanks.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
whenever I look at the perk tree I just can not find a skill that I want to "aim" for by increasing my base stats, I just dont see anything that really sticks out to me as being super amazing and am not sure which stat I should be raising. Im using shotguns/rifles/pistols for the most part and besides things like action girl and mysterious stranger I dont know what is essential. What perk should I be aiming for?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

does anyone have a pic of that map that shows the enemy difficulty scale by heat signature?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gorefluff posted:

5. I'm not an aut-gamer so I usually don't care about getting "100%" in games but even still I got to level 32 before going into Boston, mostly from roaming around instead of fast travel, exploring and killing as I please. The world is fun to explore and much more dense and rich than Skyrim or FO3.

How many hours did you play this week to get to lvl 32 in 4 days :psyduck:

:agreed: it's a really good game. I could see myself doing literally everything in it and I'm not usually a completionist. The inconsistent writing is probably it's weakest part.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NESguerilla posted:

There are people on my Steam friends list with 60+ hours. . :getin:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I was just thinking about how I couldn't stand to put scopes on weapons because without variable zoom it ruined actually firing them almost all the time, and then I remembered that that was actually a mod in New Vegas and not part of the main game. I really can't wait for the actual modding tools to come out, there's so much quality of life stuff I miss.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Judge Tesla posted:

Then there's the Power Armoured Raider with the Fat Man stationed outside the place who will probably blow you up a few times.

Good situational awareness obviates this problem :confused:

The very first time I played the game, I managed to avoid this guy by simply taking a different path and keeping hidden until I was close enough to the plant to start unloading on the outside patrols.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone managed to secure Spectacle Island yet? That place seems absolutely massive for building a base. Probably twice as big as Sanctuary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I did not know this! Thanks.

It's not like, any special property, it's just that the pipboy sorts by alphabetical normally, so if you give it a mostly identical name it will show up next to all the other bits with that name.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Meowbot posted:

hmmm I dont kno wwhy people are saying they had a hard time at Corvega, maybe it was because I wasnt on survival? Im on Very Hard and I cleared it in my first attempt, well I died once because someone shot a mini nuke inside and killed me somehow but I never had to deal with molotovs and all of the laser turrets were dealt with quickly with a few laster pistol blasts. Some people were saying this is an area where you should be using power armor, but it was hardly a challenge ... is it different on survival or something? I never felt like I was in trouble and any cat walk areas, well you can just peek your head out and spam VATS until you find enemies and get the jum on them first

just didnt seem like as hard as people were making it sound, I expected to have molotovs raining death from cat walks and invisible snipers everywhere or something :ohdear:
It depends a great deal on which side you come in from. If you take the door near that skybridge on the northeast corner, you will immediately alert about 6 guys below you who will begin pelting you with molotovs and shooting you in the balls from below through the walkway. The double doors are kinda sketch as well.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Do you keep companions perk from maxing their affinity if you make them go home? I just got Deacon's and would like to cycle him out but want to keep the perk.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

NESguerilla posted:

:agreed: it's a really good game. I could see myself doing literally everything in it and I'm not usually a completionist. The inconsistent writing is probably it's weakest part.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

There are people on my Steam friends list with 60+ hours. . :getin:

I am one of these people. I'm at level ~50 and I have 65 hours on Steam. In my defence I've been off work all week and had gently caress all else to do

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I rolled a high int/char/agi to make a stealth sniper/settler who customizes his rifles and pistols to kill quietly and quickly. I get all exicted because I got a .308 rifle with scope and does decent damage. I get to Tenpines to head over to Colvega ...

They send me to Walden Pond instead :argh:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

coyo7e posted:

It depends a great deal on which side you come in from. If you take the door near that skybridge on the northeast corner, you will immediately alert about 6 guys below you who will begin pelting you with molotovs and shooting you in the balls from below through the walkway. The double doors are kinda sketch as well.

fair enough and thanks for a serious answer. I came in through the door that said Corvega and it was like a secretaries office, right to the right of it was just a few hallways and it lead to a set of stairs up and it was really easy to break in from that area. I could see going in from the wrong area being a hassle with the turrets and such. The density of enemies wasn't as high as I thought it would be, but it was a pretty enjoyable area since it reminded me of raven shield combat and one of the factory levels from that game.

I acctually realllly like the first person shooting. Sometimes I think "there is no way Im going to do any damage to that guy from here" and then I nail a headshot. The enemies dont feel too bullet spongey on Very Hard and I always have a lot of ammo (Im level 10 at 15 hours in so I spent a lot of time "preparing" for things like this). I just picked up my first pipe rifle SMG and drat that thing tears enemies up and the ammo is so plentiful.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone recommend leveling Endurance? I started with 1 and have only leveled it up once. I feel kinda squishy but I'm also starting to feel my low carry weight (3 str) and abysmal charisma (2). Should I grab more perks first or level up some of my lower stats? I'm level 6 and have the following:

S 3 P 10 E 2 C 2 I 4 A 6 L 5
Action Boy, Idiot Savant, Locksmith, Rifleman

What perks/stats should I focus on? I want to kill things from far away and do lots of damage with my guns, primarily. The problem is when the enemies reach me they kill me dead and I can't carry a lot of stuff

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lady Naga posted:

I'm v. offended though!!! I'm probably gonna write a letter to my MP about this!

How could anyone feel uncomfortable about a song where a bunch of white people say "bongo bongo bongo" and talk about chucking spears :rolleyes:

I have a solution for this. Put your head inside a plastic bag, tape it shut at your neck, and nothing will ever offend you again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Meowbot posted:

fair enough and thanks for a serious answer. I came in through the door that said Corvega and it was like a secretaries office, right to the right of it was just a few hallways and it lead to a set of stairs up and it was really easy to break in from that area. I could see going in from the wrong area being a hassle with the turrets and such. The density of enemies wasn't as high as I thought it would be, but it was a pretty enjoyable area since it reminded me of raven shield combat and one of the factory levels from that game.

I acctually realllly like the first person shooting. Sometimes I think "there is no way Im going to do any damage to that guy from here" and then I nail a headshot. The enemies dont feel too bullet spongey on Very Hard and I always have a lot of ammo (Im level 10 at 15 hours in so I spent a lot of time "preparing" for things like this). I just picked up my first pipe rifle SMG and drat that thing tears enemies up and the ammo is so plentiful.
Make a point to accumulate enough junk mats to create the standard version for most weapons a few times as well - if you get a suppressed gun and a gun with a nice scope but you're using one with two mods, you can mod scoped one to Standard sights for the price of some lowball mats, and then put a scope on your gun for free - without the necessary perk required to craft it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Noyemi K posted:

Good situational awareness obviates this problem :confused:

The very first time I played the game, I managed to avoid this guy by simply taking a different path and keeping hidden until I was close enough to the plant to start unloading on the outside patrols.

I didn't even know the power armored raider was there or a problem for people at the plant because I came at Corvega from just the right direction I guess. If it's the one I think it is, I didn't deal with him until much later when I was exploring Lexington.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Meowbot posted:

whenever I look at the perk tree I just can not find a skill that I want to "aim" for by increasing my base stats, I just dont see anything that really sticks out to me as being super amazing and am not sure which stat I should be raising. Im using shotguns/rifles/pistols for the most part and besides things like action girl and mysterious stranger I dont know what is essential. What perk should I be aiming for?

Sounds like you might want rifleman, which works with more or less anything that has a stock and doesn't have automatic fires. Also probably worth it, the gun nut/science/armorer perks so you can do some cool modding. I've found medic to be pretty useful, particularly early on when the stimpaks arent flowing so freely, and that barter one at the top of charisma is nice. As for things that need levelling more levelling than you've probably got, I've only got chemist but I've got my eyes on Nuclear Physicist and Cannibal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DARPA Dad posted:

Anyone recommend leveling Endurance? I started with 1 and have only leveled it up once. I feel kinda squishy but I'm also starting to feel my low carry weight (3 str) and abysmal charisma (2). Should I grab more perks first or level up some of my lower stats? I'm level 6 and have the following:

S 3 P 10 E 2 C 2 I 4 A 6 L 5
Action Boy, Idiot Savant, Locksmith, Rifleman

What perks/stats should I focus on? I want to kill things from far away and do lots of damage with my guns, primarily. The problem is when the enemies reach me they kill me dead and I can't carry a lot of stuff
Maybe put a point into gunslinger, the 20% adds up quick (that's 4 bonus damage per shot for a heavy 10mm pistol, for 24, which is about as much as a lot of weapons you won't find until after level 10 without using 308 or 45 ammo). 5 Luck is a hell of a lot, I started with high luck but after two rerolls abandoned at mid teen levels, I kinda don't care about luck above 2 for Scrounger, although you do have to put more work into filling the crit bar with low luck.

right now I think my build is S3, P5, E3, C4, I5, A7, L2, at like level 8. I have to burn extra ammo with 5 per but it's not bad as long as I switch out to the pipe gun when I'm not in a serious fight.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 15, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Bro do you even lift?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Does anyone know a console command to clear visual effects? I seem to be stuck in nightvision mode. Quitting and reloading didn't help, sleeping did nothing, fast travel nothing, getting in and out of power armor nothing. Everything is all green, blown out, and blurry around the edges. I was quicksaving for while and will lose an hour or two of play if I have to go back to a 'real' save.

:smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fans posted:

Bro do you even lift?

I was so stoked to find that suit of power armor. Now I can't find it again after restarting.. :911:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JoshTheStampede posted:

I scrapped the sanctuary doghouse assuming I could make one at red rocket but I don't think yo can.
I'm positive I've seen a doghouse in the building options at the workbench. You can store them, so I'm pretty sure you can build them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Decorations/ Miscellaneous/ Doghouse

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I know it shouldn't, but it's really starting to annoy me the more I think about how Combat Rifle isn't chambered for 5.56 instead .45. :psyduck:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Back Hack posted:

I know it shouldn't, but it's really starting to annoy me the more I think about how Combat Rifle isn't chambered for 5.56 instead .45. :psyduck:

I've got shedloads of 5.56 ammo but I don't have any guns that actually shoot it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how Damage Resistance works in FO4?

More specifically, is Toughness worth putting points into? I like the idea of not being instagibbed by explosions or whatever, but I have no idea if Toughness will do anything to help negate that.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I love that any any weapons can be legendary from a walking cane to proper big guns.

I've currently got a laser musket that damages limbs by an extra 50% with a 5crank and beam splitter on, it is a great kneecapper. The only other legendary I have is a Hunting Rifle that does 50% more damage to super mutants, really after some kind of legendary automatic weapon to fit my build.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Minorkos posted:

Nah it's not that it was hard, I just read that Survival knocks enemy damage up to 2x and your damage down to 0.5x. I thought it was kinda lame that my damage output was gimped like that. In practice, having to shoot a raider 3-4 times with a bolt action isn't that fun.

I figured I could make myself more vulnerable as well to balance it out, but it doesn't seem to matter since I can just enter a room and pop everyone in the head before they can really react. But then again, maybe I should be having a very easy time against most gunners and raiders since I'm level 27. I guess I should go pick a fight with the BoS to get a challenge

Try using the player 0.75 damage multiplier .esp. Might resolve what you're talking about. FWIW I feel kinda similarly.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Back Hack posted:

The assault rifle is 5.56, it can be full auto or semi auto. the combat rifle is just a different weapon.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Back Hack posted:

You're not the only one. That magazine could not conceivably fit .45 ACP all that well, considering that's a pistol round.

I want the R91 Assault Rifle back :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fintilgin posted:

Does anyone know a console command to clear visual effects? I seem to be stuck in nightvision mode. Quitting and reloading didn't help, sleeping did nothing, fast travel nothing, getting in and out of power armor nothing. Everything is all green, blown out, and blurry around the edges. I was quicksaving for while and will lose an hour or two of play if I have to go back to a 'real' save.

:smith:

Apparently this is a known thing and can be cleared up with the console command
rimod 00094636

• Locked thread