Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not impressed with Gagamaru. Once you get past his size and momentum off the tachi ai, I don't think he's very strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Hakuho's just ridiculous

And I don't think Aoiyama's foot was actually touching outside

Tsaedje fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 14, 2015

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

It's hard to tell watching the video because of the quality, but I agree.

Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 15, 2015

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Good stuff.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Poor Shikimori Inosuke - apparently he's been suspended for 3 days for miscalling the Hakuho match. That's his second this basho and third in the past two.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Spines of titanium all across the board.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Poor Shikimori Inosuke - apparently he's been suspended for 3 days for miscalling the Hakuho match. That's his second this basho and third in the past two.

I'm sure the seppuku jokes are running amok.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Tsaedje posted:

And I don't think Aoiyama's foot was actually touching outside

https://gfycat.com/SarcasticIcyBlackbuck

Here's a few seconds from the recording I have from TV Japan, still not amazing quality but the better angle makes it pretty clear he steps out I think.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Astrotrain posted:

https://gfycat.com/SarcasticIcyBlackbuck

Here's a few seconds from the recording I have from TV Japan, still not amazing quality but the better angle makes it pretty clear he steps out I think.

That's a real tough one. I can't quite tell if it is his foot or just the shadow from it that appears to be touching the outside. When none of the shimpan on that side of the ring objected to the match continuing, I thought for sure they wouldn't rule him out on the inevitable monoii.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
While the conspiricist in me would love it to be a pro Japanese riskishi fix, that looks pretty reasonable to call out

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sO4ctAhz3c

E: Wow, Yoshikaze has his own cheering section!

I'm surprised Hakuho still has no losses with how shaky he's looked so far.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 15, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sO4ctAhz3c

E: Wow, Yoshikaze has his own cheering section!

I'm surprised Hakuho still has no losses with how shaky he's looked so far.

Yoshikaze and Kotoshogiku are the hometown favorites in Kyushu, so they're especially rabid for those two.

My prediction at this point is that out of Goeido, Kotoshogiku, and Kisenosato - 2 of them will beat Hakuho.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Day 9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbpVBOieX4

A great day of sumo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hell of a final match to cap off the day.

Who knew Yoshikaze had the power to lift Tochinoshin?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

So far this could end up being my favorite basho besides the Natsu one. Another good day.

Yoshikaze owns :stare: Didn't think he could do that.

Really good effort by Ikioi, so close to an awesome win.

wtf Kakuryu?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Amazing stuff all around. You almost get the sense that some friendships are going to get ruined over this basho.

You could see in Ikioi's face how hard he was trying to win that match against Harumafuji.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm rooting for Mitakeumi. I understand he doesn't have a topknot because he ascended the ranks so fast. So what determines when a sumotori does get his topknot? I just assumed everyone competing at the professional level was required to wear it.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm rooting for Mitakeumi. I understand he doesn't have a topknot because he ascended the ranks so fast. So what determines when a sumotori does get his topknot? I just assumed everyone competing at the professional level was required to wear it.

how quickly you can grow it. if you start in a stable when you're 15 and gradually ascend the ranks you'll almost definitely have the requisite hair for it by the time you make it to makuuchi, if you do. mitakeumi started as a college champ and they don't wear topknots in college sumo. college guys start much older and much more seasoned than the competition they face upon entry into professional sumo, so they'll generally plow through everyone before they can grow enough hair to wear a topknot.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Kakuryu really did not deserve his promotion, meh

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Question: if both sekiwake manage 8-7 in one basho, can they be overtaken in rank by komusubi with better records?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Question: if both sekiwake manage 8-7 in one basho, can they be overtaken in rank by komusubi with better records?

I don't believe so. Just this past Aki basho, Tochinoshin went 10-5 at Komusubi and Yoshikaze went 11-4 at M1, and neither one of them overtook Chokiozan and Myogiryu - both of whom had gone 8-7 at Sekiwake.

So, actually a pretty good anecdote conveniently from this past basho. Maybe in an extreme case like a 14-1 yusho/jun-yusho or something. I think part of the reason is probably because Komusubi doesn't necessarily always go against every single Yokozuna and Ozeki, while Sekiwake does.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Maybe in an extreme case like a 14-1 yusho/jun-yusho or something. I think part of the reason is probably because Komusubi doesn't necessarily always go against every single Yokozuna and Ozeki, while Sekiwake does.

How much precedent is there to have 3 Sekiwake?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Diplomat posted:

How much precedent is there to have 3 Sekiwake?

It's happened pretty frequently in the past, usually though it's because an Ozeki got demoted and both Sekiwake still got their kachikoshi. I don't know if anyone has ever been promoted while two others got their kachikoshi, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 10: http://youtu.be/PK7sKBokhuE

Did somebody spike everyone's food last night? One of the odder days I've seen yet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Someone should check if Hakuho, Goeido, and Harumafuji ate the same chanko as everyone else last night, because they're the only ones who appeared entirely awake. Is this just the point in the basho where everyone is beat up and worn out?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This video by Jason's All Sumo guy is very interesting because it he shows in detail what Hakuho did on his match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQfF6vlRHE

He clapped his hands in front of Tochiozan's face on the taichi ai and then stepped to the side. It looks like it's a technique to confuse the opponent for a bit.

Hakuho is now trying to win by using the most absurd techniques.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
They mentioned on the live broadcast that Hakuho must've been reading up on Mainoumi's techniques.

He mentioned on his twitter that he wanted to try it once. I think that's why he didn't just blast Tochiozan out straight away.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Kanthulhu posted:

Hakuho is now trying to win by using the most absurd techniques.

I'm fairly certain that at this point it's just a big game to him

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7rd1_BJVV4

I nominate whoever transformed Shohozan into an effective belt wrestler for the sumo equivalent of Coach of The Year.

E: And get that coach to teach Endo tsuppari.

:lol: at Osunaarashi going all 'gently caress this' with Myogiryu.

Hakuho's face slap in the clinch to set up the hatakikomi was awesome. Still looking shaky as gently caress, though.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 18, 2015

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I feel like Harumafuji has it in him to with a playoff with Hakuho if it comes to it this basho

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Cool throw by Gagamaru

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
man i sure hope oosunaarashi gets his KK again despite having to go through the early meat grinder

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

a false posted:

man i sure hope oosunaarashi gets his KK again despite having to go through the early meat grinder

Tochinoshin - Osunaarashi tomorrow :getin:

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

Tochinoshin - Osunaarashi tomorrow :getin:

Ugh, can they both win?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The likelihood of a gyoji being crushed is certainly higher than normal.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)

a false posted:

I think he's going to do it.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Another angle of Oosunaarashi/Myogiryuu.

http://youtu.be/qvJeATp31dw

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Better angles of Hakuho's yaguranage from Day 7.

http://i.imgur.com/FRmUcQ9.gifv

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

The likelihood of a gyoji being crushed is certainly higher than normal.

We all win, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WindyMan posted:

Better angles of Hakuho's yaguranage from Day 7.

http://i.imgur.com/FRmUcQ9.gifv

That is just ridiculous.