Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Would have had an easy sub 2 hour win, but guess who got marked and then didn't remember to take off his -tele ring on zot5....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
As an OgHu^Oka, if I find a +3 Elemental Staff, should I switch to staves, or is it only good defensively? Early game I might get away with the staff and large rocks at least, right? I've basically only been pumping M&F.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's up to you. I managed fine with the Elemental Staff as a weakling DE in the later portions of the game, once I trained up Staves to min swing and had decent Evocations for the trigger (need to beat one of two evocations/27 checks). Very few enemies are resistant to everything so one of the procs will do some decent damage ( 9+1d15).

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

apple posted:

I don't think I like playing for streaks, right after I won I went DEWz :downs:

Man, after my first tourney win ever last night I was worrying a lot about what I'd play next because of how rare it is for me to be in a position to streak. I was thinking "well I can't go for one of the simple melee options because I've already won all of them outside the tourney and my clan has won them within it, so it'd be redundant both ways." I was trying to come up with anything good.

Then I looked at the Nem choice of HEEE. :downs:

It was actually going pretty well, doing a pretty good Reaver type build and I found some solid equipment. Then I got killed by a trapdoor spider while I was looking for the Lair.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
_The two-headed ogre completely misses you.
 You continue eating.
_The two-headed ogre is stunned by your will and fails to attack.
I-it's a disorder, okay?!

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
I figured now was as good a time as any to try to streak, rolled a GrEE, and immediately died to the first giant cockroach I found. :suicide:

Back to splatting random characters.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can absolutely just melee your way through the game with the elemental staff. It's kind of crazy good with some evo training.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Yet another DrCj start. Let's hope I find something useful this time-
code:
  2324 | D:3      | Became a worshipper of Vehumet
  2330 | D:3      | Found a book of Annihilations
:eyepop:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Well, there's a permanent teleport trap on the right lung in Zot:5, let's go to the left lung:

code:
 52568 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52579 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 52580 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
:stare:

At least there was a happy ending :toot: lots of close calls:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-23-g0de4337 (webtiles) character file.

1876271 bananaken the Slayer (level 27, 124/188 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Berserker on Nov 14, 2015.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 03:10:13 (54891 turns).

bananaken the Slayer (Gargoyle Berserker)          Turns: 54891, Time: 03:10:13

Health: 124/188    AC: 60    Str: 31    XL:     27
Magic:  35/35      EV: 23    Int: 11    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   5492       SH: 15    Dex: 16    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .     L - +9 morningstar (vamp)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     N - +9 plate armour {rF+}
rNeg   + . .     SustAt   .     K - +0 shield
rPois  ∞         Gourm    .     l - +0 helmet of Focus {rC++}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     d - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     g - +2 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Stasis   .     W - +2 pair of boots {run}
MR     ++...                    i - amulet of clarity
Stlth  ..........               A - ring of protection from fire
                                s - ring of Pous {+Fly EV+3 Str+4 Dex+3}

apple fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 14, 2015

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

apple posted:

+9 morningstar (vamp)

A morningstar? Doesn't Trog throw down weapons left and right?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Eveningstars are still kinda rare, although he could have gotten away with a great mace too(gr doesn't really need the extra defense from a shield).

apple
May 18, 2003

odiv posted:

A morningstar? Doesn't Trog throw down weapons left and right?

I had a +9 great mace of freezing lying around but I wanted to use a shield + I really liked the vampirism for tabbing through stuff. No eveningstars all game unfortunately, except an unbranded -3 one :(

The great mace would have done much better vs orbs of fire, but I wasn't expecting a 5 OoF ambush :yikes:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
So I'm making my annual-ish return to the game for 3 weeks during a tournament -- When starting the game on CAO webtiles, it drops a ton of warnings about missing lua files. Is this normal?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So I'm making my annual-ish return to the game for 3 weeks during a tournament -- When starting the game on CAO webtiles, it drops a ton of warnings about missing lua files. Is this normal?

The default rcfile for 0.17 is broken somehow. Just copy your 0.16 file and replace everything with it and it'll be fine.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

After being amazingly stupid enough to die of starvation in Zot:5, finally managed to get the lowest scoring win so far for team Edit: Nevemind Dead! I guess Chei doesn't make for a high-scoring three runer.

Either way, grats to the team so far, we're kicking arse with 9 wins total and hovering around #15 on the ranks!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Internet Kraken posted:

The default rcfile for 0.17 is broken somehow. Just copy your 0.16 file and replace everything with it and it'll be fine.

Alternatively you can reset your rcfile for 0.17 by going to the A)dvanced menu. It's what I did, my edits were only a few lines that I copied before hand.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

That reminds me:

As a long time casual player (only ever getting like 5 runes max, never doing Pan or Tomb or gone 15+ in a Zig, etc), I occasionally read about edits to rc files aside from team membership, but I don't know really anything about that stuff. What kind of edits do people use? Are there some widely accepted standard ones, or is it personal taste or reliant on race/class/god choice?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That reminds me:

As a long time casual player (only ever getting like 5 runes max, never doing Pan or Tomb or gone 15+ in a Zig, etc), I occasionally read about edits to rc files aside from team membership, but I don't know really anything about that stuff. What kind of edits do people use? Are there some widely accepted standard ones, or is it personal taste or reliant on race/class/god choice?

I used to add stuff that made me eat chunks while auto-exploring or resting but that's in by default now. I also change my morgue output to add vaults and item locations (I think this may also be default now) and change my automatic pickups a bit.

I'm also not a good player. I have two wins, ever, in any modern version of Crawl. One of them was this tournament, though, so I'm not completely hopeless for my team.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That reminds me:

My suggestion is to pick a top player like elliptic or the_glow and read through their rcfile. You can do some cool stuff like muting summons' message spam, recoloring item names, etc.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That reminds me:

I usually dink around with the edits per version, but my staples are easy to understand:

code:
 show_more = false
 travel_delay = 20
 auto_sacrifice = true
I disable the 'Show More' prompt. Rarely do I need clarification of what happened and if something does surprise me, I can always look back at the extended log. Show More usually just means I spend a lot of time spamming to get the drat prompt out of the way.
I include a Travel Delay for webtiles because I feel it's important to see what I'm walking by and get a feel for the terrain I'm covering with 'o'. 20, is the number of milliseconds between tile traveled, so this setting will cover 50 tiles/second, which is still rapid, but not so rapid that I'm not aware of every tile I'm covering.
Auto Sacrifice is a QoL option I flip on since I rarely will leave corpses for later. Some classes/races want to and I'll flip it off for those, but my default is on.

Also, Macros:

code:
o > +
- > p
zd > *
ze > /
I want to play on the numpad as much as I possible, so I bind the most common functions (pray, auto-explore, 2 spells) to numpad spots. The 'p' bind is a bit deprecated from when Nemelex wasn't a joke and I played him a lot, but out of habit, it's still there.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Another 15-rune win! :toot:
code:

11876873 wormsofcant the Wrestler (level 27, 175/208 (212) HPs)
             Began as a Ghoul Warper on Nov 14, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Ru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Nov 15, 2015!

The game lasted 09:23:08 (137722 turns).
Pretty fun game with Ru, I sacrificed Love/Stealth/Eye/Skill/Courage, although I regret sacrificing Stealth; Vaults/Pandemonium/Hell is way more annoying when you can't sneak around, and Vaults in particular was dangerous since I was going for Vow of Courage III (get 6 runes before entering Depths). Ru's powers make up for it nicely though, against uniques Apocalypse pays its drain cost almost completely: In Slime, I found Dissolution and immediately Apocalypse'd, and killing it was enough to recover the drain. Also did some fun stuff like Torment > Torment > Immolation > Apocalypse against TRJ, the Tomb:3 welcome party, the Vaults:5 welcome party and the Vestibule welcome party (although I didn't use Torment in the last 3 cases.) Sacrifice Courage is also not too bad of a sacrifice since it's a visual indicator of when you're in deep poo poo, I've used it to remind myself to bail in tough fights!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Locke Dunnegan posted:

That reminds me:

Some easy edits that help prevent "oh god I was on autopilot and suddenly I'm a turn from death" incidents, in the form of forcing you to stop and pay attention for half a second:

code:
autofight_stop = 60
Or any number you want, but I'd set it to at least 40. This stops tabfighting when your HP hits that percentage. The default is 25 or something else hilariously low.

quote:

force_more_message += (Agnes|Aizul|Antaeus|Asmodeus|Asterion|Azrael|Blork the orc|Boris|Cerebov|Crazy Yiuf|Dispater|Dissolution|Donald|Dowan|Duvessa|Edmund|the Enchantress|Ereshkigal|Erica|Erolcha|Eustachio|Fannar|Frances|Frederick|Gastronok|Geryon|Gloorx Vloq|Grinder|Grum|Harold|Ignacio|Ijyb|Ilsuiw|Jessica|Jorgrun|Jory|Joseph|Josephine|Khufu|Kirke|Lamia|the Lernaean hydra|Lom Lobon|Louise|Mara|Margery|Maud|Maurice|Menkaure|Mennas|Mnoleg|Murray|Natasha|Nergalle|Nessos|Nikola|Norris|Pikel|Plog|Polyphemus|Prince Ribbit|Psyche|Purgy|Robin|Roxanne|the royal jelly|Rupert|Saint Roka|the Serpent of Hell|Sigmund|Snorg|Sonja|Terence|Tiamat|Urug|Vashnia|Wiglaf|Xtahua).*into view
Yes, it's really that long. Forces a --more-- when a unique comes into view. If you're really annoyed by --more--s you can snip out some of the less dangerous uniques.

code:
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += .*lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
These do the same thing for some particularly dangerous non-uniques.

Handy stuff:

code:
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
To make 100% sure you notice the abyssal rune.

code:
default_manual_training = true
So you don't have to deal with changing training type every time you start a game.

Fun stuff:

code:
tile_player_tile = mons:plant
tile_player_tile = tile:mons_orb_guardian_fetus
Change your tile to any monster(or plant) in the game! And a few that aren't in the game! You can only use one at a time. I forget what the diference between the mons: and tile: variants are, but try the other if one doesn't work. If you like more variety...

code:
include += RandomTiles.rc

{
  function ready()
  -- Enable RandomTiles
  random_tile()
  end

}
Gives you random tiles that change occassionally. More documentation on it here.

code:
fake_lang = dwarven|jagerkin|kraut|runes|wide|grunt|butt
Pick your favorite fake languages. You can stack up to 3 of them, separated using commas. (ex: fake_lang = grunt,dwarven,butt) You can stack the same language more than once; fake_lang = grunt,grunt,grunt is a good way to get a very!!!!!!! excited!!!!!!!!!! game!!!!!!!!!.

If you really love buttlang, you can change how often it replaces words. (ex: fake_lang=butt:10 would replace 10% of your words with "butt".)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
lmao the current Nemlex choice is Deep Elf Monk. That's got to be one of the worst possible starts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, you could beeline down to Vehumet and just learn the first spell he offers you.

apple
May 18, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

lmao the current Nemlex choice is Deep Elf Monk. That's got to be one of the worst possible starts.

I think I got past most of the bullshit, though I'm still in a weird position, how do I proceed from here? :gonk:

Edit: I found Orcish mines so far, I'm in D:9

Here's the spells available/learned:

code:
    Spells                             Type                      Level
    a - Sublimation of Blood         Necromancy                    2
    b - Ignite Poison                Fire/Transmutation/Poison     3
    c - Alistair's Intoxication      Transmutation/Poison          4
    d - Condensation Shield          Ice                           4
    e - Petrify                      Transmutation/Earth           4
    f - Irradiate                    Conjuration/Transmutation     5
 y - a book of Summonings   

Spells                             Type                      Level
    a - Recall                       Summoning/Translocation       3
    b - Aura of Abjuration           Summoning                     5
    c - Shadow Creatures             Summoning                     5
    d - Summon Demon                 Summoning                     5
    e - Summon Forest                Summoning/Translocation       5
    f - Summon Mana Viper            Hexes/Summoning               5
Comestibles
 b - 5 bread rations
 f - 5 meat rations
 m - 4 fruits
 q - 2 royal jellies

Skills:
 + Level 4.5 Fighting
 - Level 1.2 Short Blades
 - Level 10.0 Dodging
 - Level 4.1 Stealth
 - Level 3.5 Unarmed Combat
 + Level 11.8 Spellcasting
 + Level 7.9 Conjurations
 - Level 3.7 Summonings
 + Level 6.8 Necromancy
 - Level 5.4 Ice Magic
 + Level 6.4 Evocations

You have 15 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Freeze                Ice            ####         1%          1    None
b - Inner Flame           Hex/Fire       ##......     7%          3    None
c - Throw Frost           Conj/Ice       #####.       1%          2    None
d - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          38%         5    ####...
e - Bolt of Draining      Conj/Necr      #####.....   3%          5    ####...
f - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #####.....   1%          2    None
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/bananaken/bananaken.txt

apple fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 15, 2015

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, you have more than enough spellcasting. Pick a school or two, maybe Summoning I guess, and get them up so you've got the power to kill stuff. Shadow Creatures is amazing at high power, you get like ettins and yaktaur packs.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Not been a great tournament for me so far - best result is a 4-rune splat in crypt caused by being careless with Folly.(messing about with fclouds vs threatening foes rather than Chain Lightning/Tornado).

My current character is an Ogre of Qazlal that has mutated rC+++ from benemut potions. I intentionally chose to brand/enchant a giant club rather than a giant spiked club due to the lower delay (this was changed recently for one or both of them, right? 18-24 is a big difference even for ogre). I'm surprised that I don't seem to be regretting that, as of 2 runes and Vaults. After making that choice, a GSC won't be competitive until I find another brand scroll, so I've been continuing to enchant the GC.

apple
May 18, 2003

megane posted:

Well, you have more than enough spellcasting. Pick a school or two, maybe Summoning I guess, and get them up so you've got the power to kill stuff. Shadow Creatures is amazing at high power, you get like ettins and yaktaur packs.

Well, I found this now, got a lot more options :woop:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'd probably get book of ice, freezing cloud / bolt of cold / bolt of draining is a great set of blasting spells and you get Simulacrum for more mangling. Book of power instead / in addition is also reasonable.

apple
May 18, 2003

rchandra posted:

I'd probably get book of ice, freezing cloud / bolt of cold / bolt of draining is a great set of blasting spells and you get Simulacrum for more mangling. Book of power instead / in addition is also reasonable.

Yeah, I went for the latter; I'm more used to using those set of spells, so might as well play it safe.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Thanks, Xom.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Some easy edits that help prevent "oh god I was on autopilot and suddenly I'm a turn from death" incidents, in the form of forcing you to stop and pay attention for half a second:

code:
autofight_stop = 60
Or any number you want, but I'd set it to at least 40. This stops tabfighting when your HP hits that percentage. The default is 25 or something else hilariously low.

Yes, it's really that long. Forces a --more-- when a unique comes into view. If you're really annoyed by --more--s you can snip out some of the less dangerous uniques.

code:
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += .*lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*(s|player) ghost.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
These do the same thing for some particularly dangerous non-uniques.

Handy stuff:

code:
fmm += Found .* abyssal rune of Zot
To make 100% sure you notice the abyssal rune.

code:
default_manual_training = true
So you don't have to deal with changing training type every time you start a game.

Fun stuff:

code:
tile_player_tile = mons:plant
tile_player_tile = tile:mons_orb_guardian_fetus
Change your tile to any monster(or plant) in the game! And a few that aren't in the game! You can only use one at a time. I forget what the diference between the mons: and tile: variants are, but try the other if one doesn't work. If you like more variety...

code:
include += RandomTiles.rc

{
  function ready()
  -- Enable RandomTiles
  random_tile()
  end

}
Gives you random tiles that change occassionally. More documentation on it here.

code:
fake_lang = dwarven|jagerkin|kraut|runes|wide|grunt|butt
Pick your favorite fake languages. You can stack up to 3 of them, separated using commas. (ex: fake_lang = grunt,dwarven,butt) You can stack the same language more than once; fake_lang = grunt,grunt,grunt is a good way to get a very!!!!!!! excited!!!!!!!!!! game!!!!!!!!!.

If you really love buttlang, you can change how often it replaces words. (ex: fake_lang=butt:10 would replace 10% of your words with "butt".)

Thanks for these! I did the ones forcing more pausing messages, since I am definitely bad about going autopilot in the midgame and walking into stupid poo poo.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Just entered the shoals as a kobold assassin, dreading having to somehow stay stealthy without reusable flight, when Oka pops in like "Hey buddy, I heard you don't like water"

:henget:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Got a VsFi of Qaz going, and found the Moon Troll armour and gloves of Regen. Who needs healing potions or wands when you're healing for 2hp every turn.

e. And an amulet of Vitality. Don't think Regen+++++++ instead of Regen++++++ is worth giving up the amulet of four winds though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 15, 2015

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Two wins for Would You Smooch a Player Ghost!

code:

1924434 Lawman0 the Ruinous (level 27, 211/211 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Venom Mage on Nov 10, 2015.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Nov 14, 2015!

The game lasted 11:39:19 (190917 turns).

Lawman0 the Ruinous (Demigod Venom Mage)          Turns: 190917, Time: 11:39:19

Health: 211/211    AC: 33    Str: 23      XL:     27
Magic:  54/55      EV: 21    Int: 34 (35) God:    
Gold:   5648       SH: 18    Dex: 20      Spells: 17 memorised, 3 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     b - staff of energy
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     p - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   + + +     SustAt   +     S - +1 shield {rC+ rF+}
rPois  +         Gourm    .     V - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     i - +1 cloak of the Dice {Str+8}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     r - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     x - +1 pair of boots {Stlth+}
MR     ++...                    D - amulet of resist mutation
Stlth  +.........               k - ring of Saron {rPois rN+++ Str-3 Dex+4}
                                y - ring of protection from cold

@: contaminated, hasted, glowing, deflect missiles, very quick, very resistant
to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: large bone plates 1, blurry vision 1, deterioration 1, high mp 1, sustain
attributes, MP-powered wands
a: no special abilities
0: Orb of Zot
}: 5/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, gossamer
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20151114-170817.txt

AAR: A shameful 5 rune that made me realize I don't know how to efficiently skill demigods so they can tackle the postgame. Attempted to zig raid for exp pots after almost dying in tartarus and dis which I got a few of but they only got chain lightning down to 15% failure which wasn't good enough for me at all to tackle the demon lords or tomb. I'm going to do a proper 15 runer this tournament to avenge this game.
code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-24-gcfadda4 (webtiles) character file.

1599682 Lawman0 the Formicid Barricade (level 27, 308/308 HPs)
             Began as a Formicid Chaos Knight on Nov 15, 2015.

Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 04:16:45 (83034 turns).

Lawman0 the Formicid Barricade (FoCK)              Turns: 83034, Time: 04:16:45

Health: 308/308    AC: 53    Str: 34    XL:     27
Magic:  26/26      EV: 10    Int: 17    God:    Xom [.*....]
Gold:   9881       SH: 32    Dex: 14    Spells: 3 memorised, 29 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     z - +4 great mace (holy)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     i - +13 crystal plate armour
rNeg   . . .     SustAt   .     O - +3 large shield {rC+}
rPois  .         Gourm    .     (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +         Spirit   .     E - +2 cloak {rC+}
rCorr  +         Warding  .     V - +2 pair of gloves of Elyvilon's Scorn {Regen+}
rMut   .         Stasis   +     y - +2 pair of boots
MR     +++++                    N - amulet of resist corrosion
Stlth  +.........               j - ring of the Mage {Wiz MR++ Int+3}
                                u - ring of Doawajos {rElec rF+ Str+2 Int+2 Stlth+}

@: repel missiles, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments, very
unstealthy
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, four strong arms, antennae 3, fangs
1, hooves 1, rugged brown scales 3, camouflage 1, agile 2, blurry vision 1,
breathe flames 1, clarity, fire resistance 1, low mp 1, magic resistance 1,
mutation resistance 2, robust 2, screaming 1, electricity resistance, strong 1,
wild magic 1, MP-powered wands
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Renounce Religion, Breathe Fire
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Lawman0/morgue-Lawman0-20151115-173239.txt

AAR: Goddamn this game was funny as gently caress, here is what you need to know.
b - the +6 arbalest "Hellfire" {hellfire, rF++ rC- MR+}
(You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)
30778 | D:11 | Identified the +16 plate armour "Epobboaq" {Dex+4} (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)
4048 | D:5 | XOM: god gift: 1830 gold pieces
Did the usual Formicid thing of getting a big weapon and shield but then floorgod decided to give me hellfire which I literally never got to use in an actual game before and it owned bones.
Fun fact: Orbs of Fire are not immune to hellfire.

apple
May 18, 2003

Went after slime pits with my DEMo with firestorm, destroyed TRJ and tried to go upstairs before realizing I had azure jellies and no rC+ :argh:

That game was pretty much won too, rip

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

This is a fun run so far. Mottled DrCj of Vehumet with an early book of Annihilations, and just found a staff of fire. I have Fire Storm memorized by Lair:2 but I know it's going to be a while before I can actually cast it. Still, shooting holes through people via Vehumet's gift of Iron Shot is fun while I'm training up evo and staves a bit to start defending myself in melee aside from sticky flame breath. I hope I find a book with blink or haste or something, but otherwise this is a blast. :3:

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Just died to a white ugly thing hitting for 31 damage through 13AC/12EV and no rC. It had like 20% health and lived through an enhanced bolt of fire and a 8 evo staff of fire with no visible damage. WELP

apple
May 18, 2003

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Just died to a white ugly thing hitting for 31 damage through 13AC/12EV and no rC. It had like 20% health and lived through an enhanced bolt of fire and a 8 evo staff of fire with no visible damage. WELP

Cold damage is pretty brutal without resistances :( If you need to finish off an enemy, fireball or sticky flame will never miss, but you don't want to be in melee range if possible, so sticky flame is more of a last resort.

Tried Qazlal for the first time, it was actually pretty hilarious because I could clear a Ziggurat with it but he didn't feel "extended ready" (probably because I didn't hybridize at all):

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-24-gcfadda4 (webtiles) character file.

2713328 bananaken the Orcish Cataclysm (level 27, 273/273 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Fighter on Nov 15, 2015.
             Was a High Priest of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 16, 2015!

The game lasted 04:39:18 (62132 turns).

bananaken the Orcish Cataclysm (Hill Orc Fighter)  Turns: 62132, Time: 04:39:18

Health: 273/273    AC: 59    Str: 27    XL:     27
Magic:  49/49      EV: 24    Int: 13    God:    Qazlal [*****.]
Gold:   7007       SH:  7    Dex: 16    Spells: 1 memorised, 25 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     P - +9 battleaxe (vamp)
rCold  + + +     Clarity  .     G - +10 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +         Gourm    .     w - +2 helmet {SInv}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     C - +2 cloak
rCorr  .         Warding  +     z - +0 pair of gloves of Light {rN+}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     F - +2 pair of boots of Claustrophobia {rC+ Int+5}
MR     ++...                    A - brooch of Shielding {Ward rN+ AC+4 EV+4}
Stlth  ..........               N - ring "Odos" {rElec MP+9 Slay+2 Stlth-}
                                q - ring of Spite {rPois rF+ rC+}

@: protected from fire, repel missiles, very resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: claws 1, rough black scales 1, thin skeletal structure 1, regeneration 1
a: Upheaval, Elemental Force, Disaster Area, Renounce Religion
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, silver, abyssal, gossamer

You escaped.
You worshipped Qazlal.
Qazlal was extremely pleased with you.
You were very full.

You visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and saw 54 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 3 times.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You completed 1 ziggurat, and saw 27 of its levels.
You also visited: Ossuary, Bailey and Wizlab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

So I've just cleared Snake and Shoals and getting ready for the end game. I have a CPA +4, an antimagic battleaxe +7, executioner axe + 2 venom, or +1 elec. I also have 6 each of enchant armour/weapon.

Should I hold out for anything else from Trog weapon wise? I'm sure i'll get an executioner antimagic at some point or other, would that be a better brand than venon or elec?. Armour wise, am I better off just dumping everything into the CPA or holding out for golden dragon armour (and if so where do I get that, I've never seen it in a game)? Regardless, I'll be going for a 3 rune win since I've never ascended.

• Locked thread