Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I'm torn. Should I get the General Research Pod or the General Science Pod? :confused:

Get into :gary: Paaaaaarp pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm not a developer so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. This is what I've gathered from osmosis:

First, they are promising that 40 people will be able to play online at the same time. That's really really different from having 4-8 people on a LAN.

Second, they are promising a huge area to explore. When you're giving a presentation with staff they know exactly where to go and where not to go. Known bugs can be conveniently avoided.

Third, they are attempting to integrate completely different design architectures on top of one another (FPS, Multi-Crew, Space Combat). This can result in making a fix in one area that causes something breaking down elsewhere. So as they've continued progressing on the project they may have actually made things worse in other ways.

This is what they've promised for this release, by the way. It's a good deal more than what was shown at CitCon I think:

All correct, more or less, with the added wrinkle of the current major issue being memory leaks, which probably wouldn't have shown up in the relatively short play sessions shown at Gamescom or CitCon. There's also just the normal fact of development on a large complicated system causing regression and new bugs as things are added or changed in general.

As for earlier comments people made about the FPS lead's broken wrist causing delays: first, CIG really does not have a very deep bench on the programming side and never has--I'd guess only about 10% of their team are actually programmers, and they are spread very thin over different chunks and systems, so a single loss is a significant chunk of their total manpower. I would be surprised if they have more two or three people who have worked on the FPS portions in-house. Secondly, programmers are not interchangeable, particularly when working primarily on bug fixing; it'll probably take a week just for his replacement(s) to get familiar enough with his code to be marginally effective unless he's much better than average at writing readable code.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

why do i hear slurping

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I'm torn. Should I get the General Research Pod or the General Science Pod? :confused:

CIG posted:

The General Science Pod (GSP) is the Endeavor’s ‘analytic’ module, with installation points for a variety of scientific computers and databanks. The GSP is oriented towards inward-facing processing of data gathered elsewhere, featuring extensive systems for turning the raw information gathered by the GRP and Telescope Array into valuable data for sale or trade.

CIG posted:

The General Research Pod (GRP) is intended as a multi-use facility that can support a variety of active scientific pursuits: microscopy, zero gravity experiments, biological studies and the like. With internal slots for precision scanners, sample and specimen collections, spectrometers and chemical analyzer, the GRP is capable of cataloging new experimental data as well as producing cutting edge compounds. Note: The GRP is intended for legal experimentation as authorized by the UEE only.
Pretty simple choice imo

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Even if you broke both of your wrist and they just covered your hands in plaster couldn't you still code just by dictating to the computer with some voice to text program?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

CIG really does not have a very deep bench on the programming side and never has--I'd guess only about 10% of their team are actually programmers

Yeah man who needs coders when you are making a game anyways? gently caress that noise!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Meta-Mollusk posted:

One's for research and one's for science, they're totally different.

What are you, a loving idiot?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vire posted:

Even if you broke both of your wrist couldn't you still code just by dictating to the computer with some voice to text program?

I think the issue is it's really difficult to hand wave problems away when your wrists are hosed up

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

peter gabriel posted:

I think the issue is it's really difficult to hand wave problems away when your wrists are hosed up

Hahaha :iceburn:

Yeah instead of getting a mic and a copy of dragon naturally speaking for 200 bucks lets just shut down our whole coding department for a month.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

So is the mo cap stuff actually in game now in the social module? Because if so fuuuuuuuuuck ha ha

In a basic way, they are all the new gestures that were added into the social module. The primary movement changes are going into the AC 2.0 / (future) FPS module. They build their product quite similar to ours, with a branch release and a trunk.

So after a branch whatever updates are easily rolled in are added, but the primary development has moved onto the trunk build and the next branch. Branches in order: Hangar Module, AC Module, Racing Module, Social Module, AC 2.0, FPS Module.

If you have a rapidly evolving engine, your backports (upgrades from later trunk builds to earlier branches) become quickly infrequent because you've moved on. For example, they were able to add PBR and the updated Deferred Renderer as a backport to the early Hangar Module, but they could not add the new movement (flight engine) in, and had to release a new build.

They've actually switched to a management system, called Excalibur, which is making the branch building easier. In our case (non-game company), our branches are a full release of the build once we've nailed down the required features for the branch. For a game like this, you actually do a unique build (Public build) that strips out a lot of assets. You cannot release the full trunk because it contains other components (like Foundry 42's SQ42 work) that are absolutely not ready for release.

All that is just to say, this is why their current build where they've like, replaced the movement system that was in Hangar/Social module, you're not seeing that update until they finish off the next branch and public build.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Amazing. Octopode is actually defending the broken wrist excuse. Dude, telling us that they only have a handful of coders to make this enormously complex and ambitious game does nothing to counter the view that CIG is incompetent and this project doomed. Quite the opposite in fact.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah man who needs coders when you are making a game anyways? gently caress that noise!

Programming stuff is inherently less parallelizable than stuff like asset development, and honestly less of a schedule risk for the overall game. It makes sense that they should be prioritizing asset development staff given their tremendous backlog and the manpower intensity of their assets. Between the two, the coding side is at a much higher completion percentage than their art side is.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Octopode posted:

Programming stuff is inherently less parallelizable than stuff like asset development, and honestly less of a schedule risk for the overall game. It makes sense that they should be prioritizing asset development staff given their tremendous backlog and the manpower intensity of their assets.

You know what's even further behind and in intense need of manpower? The programming. Without it, the assets serve no purpose after all…
Oh, and as others have mentioned, a lead programmer is something that's fairly easy to replace, and that's assuming a replacement is needed to begin with. Hands aren't really needed for the majority of the tasks involved.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Octopode posted:

Programming stuff is inherently less parallelizable than stuff like asset development, and honestly less of a schedule risk for the overall game. It makes sense that they should be prioritizing asset development staff given their tremendous backlog and the manpower intensity of their assets. Between the two, the coding side is at a much higher completion percentage than their art side is.

still waiting for you to kill yourself

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bad news. Croberts' dealer accidentally brutally cut off his own head while combing his hair and now all work has stopped until he gets a new hook up.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Octopode posted:

All correct, more or less, with the added wrinkle of the current major issue being memory leaks, which probably wouldn't have shown up in the relatively short play sessions shown at Gamescom or CitCon. There's also just the normal fact of development on a large complicated system causing regression and new bugs as things are added or changed in general.

As for earlier comments people made about the FPS lead's broken wrist causing delays: first, CIG really does not have a very deep bench on the programming side and never has--I'd guess only about 10% of their team are actually programmers, and they are spread very thin over different chunks and systems, so a single loss is a significant chunk of their total manpower. I would be surprised if they have more two or three people who have worked on the FPS portions in-house. Secondly, programmers are not interchangeable, particularly when working primarily on bug fixing; it'll probably take a week just for his replacement(s) to get familiar enough with his code to be marginally effective unless he's much better than average at writing readable code.

source of loving shut up.

fake edit: also this is not the loving 80s, now we have code standardization and what not.

another fake edit: also if a programmer/developer forgets to put a comment on a chunk of code he made should be kick in the balls and be fired!

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 15, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Vire posted:

Hahaha :iceburn:

Yeah instead of getting a mic and a copy of dragon naturally speaking for 200 bucks lets just shut down our whole coding department for a month.

I don't know if you've never programmed, never used dictation software, or both, but no, that's not really a viable alternative for anything other than token productivity. He'd probably be much better off hunting and pecking with a stick taped to his cast.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

I see, thanks for the comprehensive answer

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Octopode posted:

Between the two, the coding side is at a much higher completion percentage than their art side is.

I find this incredibly hard to believe because when coding gets so far ahead of art they do placeholder stuff cubes and spheres and other hilarious programmer art. I haven't see anything of the sort only finished assets in a broken buggy engine.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

In a basic way, they are all the new gestures that were added into the social module. The primary movement changes are going into the AC 2.0 / (future) FPS module. They build their product quite similar to ours, with a branch release and a trunk.

So after a branch whatever updates are easily rolled in are added, but the primary development has moved onto the trunk build and the next branch. Branches in order: Hangar Module, AC Module, Racing Module, Social Module, AC 2.0, FPS Module.

If you have a rapidly evolving engine, your backports (upgrades from later trunk builds to earlier branches) become quickly infrequent because you've moved on. For example, they were able to add PBR and the updated Deferred Renderer as a backport to the early Hangar Module, but they could not add the new movement (flight engine) in, and had to release a new build.

They've actually switched to a management system, called Excalibur, which is making the branch building easier. In our case (non-game company), our branches are a full release of the build once we've nailed down the required features for the branch. For a game like this, you actually do a unique build (Public build) that strips out a lot of assets. You cannot release the full trunk because it contains other components (like Foundry 42's SQ42 work) that are absolutely not ready for release.

All that is just to say, this is why their current build where they've like, replaced the movement system that was in Hangar/Social module, you're not seeing that update until they finish off the next branch and public build.

Are you saying yes or no here because I can't even

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

still waiting for you to kill yourself

Tell you what, I will, but only if you go first.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vire posted:

I find this incredibly hard to believe because when coding gets so far ahead of art they do placeholder stuff cubes and spheres and other hilarious programmer art. I haven't see anything of the sort only finished assets in a broken buggy engine.

Yes you see that's the placeholder programming in action

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Octopode posted:

I don't know if you've never programmed, never used dictation software, or both, but no, that's not really a viable alternative for anything other than token productivity. He'd probably be much better off hunting and pecking with a stick taped to his cast.

I have done both. I accept the fact that he might not be 200 words a minute but come on dude your deluding yourself if you think a broken wrist is an excuse to not do your job as a coder. You can still dictate semi colons and parentheses that's just crap if you are saying it doesn't work.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Are you saying yes or no here because I can't even
In a basic way, they are all the new gestures that were added into the social module ... All that is just to say, this is why their current build where they've like, replaced the movement system that was in Hangar/Social module, you're not seeing that update until they finish off the next branch and public build.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Bootcha where's the new cat video at?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

In a basic way, they are all the new gestures that were added into the social module ... All that is just to say, this is why their current build where they've like, replaced the movement system that was in Hangar/Social module, you're not seeing that update until they finish off the next branch and public build.

So, erm, no?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

So, erm, no?

So, kinda. Yes, they added gestures using the new mocap setup. No, the movement has not been revamped.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Vire posted:

That's because they've intentionally limited playable portions to the art stuff that's finished. Compare not only the list of ship assets finished versus planned, but the fact they have completed 0 of a planned 100+ star systems, each with individual landing zones and planets and the like, with only two of those even partially completed. Plus NPCs, clothing, ship components, etc. They have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Is there a game yet

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

CIG posted:

The General Science Pod (GSP) is the Endeavor’s ‘analytic’ module, with installation points for a variety of scientific computers and databanks. The GSP is oriented towards inward-facing processing of data gathered elsewhere, featuring extensive systems for turning the raw information gathered by the GRP and Telescope Array into valuable data for sale or trade.

CIG posted:

The General Research Pod (GRP) is intended as a multi-use facility that can support a variety of active scientific pursuits: microscopy, zero gravity experiments, biological studies and the like. With internal slots for precision scanners, sample and specimen collections, spectrometers and chemical analyzer, the GRP is capable of cataloging new experimental data as well as producing cutting edge compounds. Note: The GRP is intended for legal experimentation as authorized by the UEE only.

Ah so I should buy both if I want to turn my research into more science. Thanks for clearing that up.

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 15, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

So, kinda. Yes, they added gestures using the new mocap setup. No, the movement has not been revamped.

Thanks, it looks poo poo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kakarot posted:

Is there a game yet

Yup. It's great.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Kakarot posted:

Is there a game yet

no but please look forward to a wall of :words: from octopode about why that's okay and not a problem

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Thanks, it looks poo poo

Yes it does :) CryEngine movement is one of the ugliest around, and SC has the worst implementation of it with the current release.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

That's because they've intentionally limited playable portions to the art stuff that's finished. Compare not only the list of ship assets finished versus planned, but the fact they have completed 0 of a planned 100+ star systems, each with individual landing zones and planets and the like, with only two of those even partially completed. Plus NPCs, clothing, ship components, etc. They have a tremendous amount of outstanding assets.

Sounds to me like they need more programmers to catch up

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

Why don't CIG have a very deep bench on the programming side? The entire loving thing is founded on the belief that they're doing something so amazing that the tech to do it doesn't exist. They hype it up like it is some grand new avenue in computer science, yet with ninety five million us dollars they don't have many programmers? :downsbravo:

Programmers are interchangeable at this level. These people work in the games industry, that is already a specialisation. Sure, some people will lean more towards one thing or another but this isn't a D&D module - there are no hard Spaceship Programmer/FPS Programmer/Buggy Programmer/BLOCKER FIXER character classes. Being asked "Hey can you take a look at the issues assigned to Barry - he is off for a couple of weeks. The rest of the team can get you up to speed." shouldn't be a problem.

Oh poo poo, Barry has broken his wrist. Time to re-roll one of the people who majored in spaceships to be a bug fixer, should take about a week to level up. :gary:

tl;dr If your 95 million dollar software project crashes to a screeching halt and can't survive one person leaving then you are incompetent or the people you have hired are incompetent. Stop defending this house of cards and get a refund.

EDIT:

Octopode posted:

The assets are behind the programming? Are you looking at the same project? They have nothing but a giant pile of assets and no loving game to use them in. They've probably got an Indiana Jones style warehouse full of Ben and CRoberts raved ramblings about the verse and how things should work, all anotated with concept art. None of it works.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 15, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

Yes it does :) CryEngine movement is one of the ugliest around, and SC has the worst implementation of it with the current release.

Agreed, they suck balls

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Octopode posted:

Also just to show you are even full of poo poo about the speech recognition and coding here is a guy doing it in python after he had a hand injury and liked it so much he just does it all the time now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SkdfdXWYaI

Vire fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 15, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Vire posted:

Also just to show you are even full of poo poo about the speach reconision and coding here is a guy doing it in python after he had a hand injury and liked it so much he just does it all the time now.

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vire posted:

Also just to show you are even full of poo poo about the speach reconision and coding here is a guy doing it in python after he had a hand injury and liked it so much he just does it all the time now.

I think it's fair to not have the voice recognition, no one wants to be the guy in the office saying 'colon' all day

• Locked thread