Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

My Fallout 4 issues:

No grenade use in VATS, which sucks as having to hold the button to throw in real time is cumbersome and I'd like to be able to quickly launch one.

Power Armour seems a bit eh, you need to know you might need it in advance (or have like infinite fusion cores) so you can go back to wherever you stored it. It doesn't feel powerful when tiny little mirelurk hatchlings destroy a piece of leg armour easily and when a piece armour is fully damaged it automatically shoves itself into your inventory using up weight till you go repair it. Why not have it not count for DR purposes when damaged but still keep it attached to the frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
While I agree that design choice is annoying and perplexing, I'm pretty sure the parts have 0 weight.

To add my own annoyance is scraping junk is kind of obtuse. There's a couple ways to do it but I'd really like to be able to do it from a menu and dump the materials in my inventory directly like I can with weapons and armor.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Cleretic posted:

But I don't want to play as a straight, married parent.
Yeah. I thought I was going to be the baby in the opening like FO3. Much as it would have felt a little cheap to have basically the same opening as the predecessor I ultimately would have preferred it.

On a similar note the voiced protagonist bugs me since it means there have to be fewer dialogue choices than there else wise could be. It'll also create a further gulf between vanilla content and any mod content which is something Bethesda should probably avoid in their core design with how much people love modding their games. Indeed the dialogue mechanic in general seems like it may limit modders in some substantial ways.

Also they did the same thing with the dialogue that I hated in Mass Effect where they give you a small phrase that only vaguely represents what my character is going to say when I click it. Just put the whole line there on the screen so I actually know what I'm making my character say.

Buzkashi posted:

Somebody referred to the current FO4 settler management system as "Schroedinger's workforce" and it's totally on point. I wish I could have a better way to see who is assigned to what job so I can make sure all these fuckers are contributing.

I wish the settlers could figure it out for themselves more. I don't mind making the big decisions & doing the construction but don't want to have to bother with all the micromanaging malarky.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My experience with building so far is making a prefab tiny thing and sticking four beds wherever the gently caress the game would let me.
Not impressed so far. Have to get a clean source of water and I have no idea or resources on how to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calaveron posted:

My experience with building so far is making a prefab tiny thing and sticking four beds wherever the gently caress the game would let me.
Not impressed so far. Have to get a clean source of water and I have no idea or resources on how to do it.

It's in the Resource section, Water.

You need to make 2 pumps. The materials can be scavenged from the town, everything you need is there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also now I learned I need to get EVERYTHING if I wanna mod and upgrade my gear. You can use coffee mugs to make better guns, and I did not know that and have been coffee mugless the entire game so far.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Eventually you learn what's good and what's garbage, so that kinda turns it into a plus for me. You get better at looting, as a player!

Also learning you can cook your own Adhesive ended up saving me a lot of headache.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
The one thing that is really dragging down FO4 for me is that if you leave your Power Armor unattended your own followers can hijack it. It happened once while I was fighting some really overpowered nasty and gently caress get out of my ride!

Now I just remove the Fusion Core whenever I park the armor that isn't in a power armor station. It's like taking the keys to my car.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

TopHatGenius posted:

The one thing that is really dragging down FO4 for me is that if you leave your Power Armor unattended your own followers can hijack it. It happened once while I was fighting some really overpowered nasty and gently caress get out of my ride!

Now I just remove the Fusion Core whenever I park the armor that isn't in a power armor station. It's like taking the keys to my car.

Amazing. Fallout 4 continues to be the best game that I can't stop complaining about.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
On the plus side, you can order people into power armor (like to man guard towers or follow you around), on the negative side I don't think there's dog power armor, and it doesn't improve follower carry weight maximum :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
GGGHHHHHHHHHHH

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If some BoS guard or whatever in power armor is giving you guff you can pick pocket his fusion core. He'll casually step out of the armor and then continue acting like a big shot. It's pretty funny.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calaveron posted:

You can use coffee mugs to make better guns

lolwat :psyduck:

when you build a house, does it always have a ramshackle look to it or can you build from the ground up a grimy looking 50's house with enough scrap?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

lolwat :psyduck:

when you build a house, does it always have a ramshackle look to it or can you build from the ground up a grimy looking 50's house with enough scrap?

It's because you break down whatever loot objects you find to their raw components, and I'm guessing coffee mugs have, like, "ceramic" as one of their components?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played fallout 4 for just an hour or two and I'm enjoying it but there is a huge problem with textures I'm having where many textures are extremely low-res because I think it's only loading the LOD versions of them. This includes ones that are extremely hard to ignore like the billboard right outside the vault you exit at the start of the game. Not my screenshot but this is roughly what it looks like for me, only even worse because I'm on a 560 and need to keep other graphics settings lower. People on 980s with SSDs are getting the exact same problem though, and putting textures to ultra with 16x anisotropic filtering does nothing.

It's very inconsistent, where plants and my character's face will be fine but structures and clothes will look awful, and the contrast is really jarring. Just going through the world has been downright ugly so far and it's very hard to ignore.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Nov 14, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Somfin posted:

It's because you break down whatever loot objects you find to their raw components, and I'm guessing coffee mugs have, like, "ceramic" as one of their components?

Yep. Literally every junk item from previous fallout games provides something. Coffee cups, glasses, brooms, desk lamps, collect them all!

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
Yeah, I've stuffed my pockets with garbage every time I go on a quest (it's a Bethesda game after all) and have never really been short on crafting materials aside from the poo poo that's intentionally really scarce.

The game unfortunately never explains this anywhere but once you figure it out it works pretty nicely.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Thin Privilege posted:

GGGHHHHHHHHHHH

This character found the only thesaurus that survived the war, he talks like such a loving goober I can't take him seriously

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Slowly, I've realized the biggest problem I have with Fallout 4. Everything else I've complained about here or elsewhere is a problem, but it's one I can fix and then not worry about. But there's a big one that's been staring me in the face, that I don't think I could reasonably ever fix.

Bethesda games are all about playing the character you want to play, how you want to play them, and that's what I love about them.

But I don't want to play as a straight, married parent.

I understand that Fallout is a bit more confined than Elder Scrolls, and that's okay, but every Fallout protagonist is very lightly defined and can fit most any character type. New Vegas' Courier had a defined job, but that's all; their past and their life was left open for us to fill in. Before leaving the Vault, Fallout 3's Lone Wanderer lived a life that could've just as easily produced a psychopathic axe-murderer or a nonassuming, quiet thief, however you wanted to play it. Sure you had a dad and were looking for him, but everybody has a dad, that doesn't really shave it down. And that same open-ness in character creation goes back to Black Isle's offerings, it's always been there.

Fallout 4's protagonist is way too defined in comparison, because the entirety of the story hinges on them being a type of person that not everybody wants to be, or play. They aren't just a character that happens to be in a straight marriage and has a child either, the entire drive of the story is to find your child. Not only is that really confining given how many Fallout characters people make really would not be marriage material (certainly none of the three characters I usually play in RPGs are the type), the 'straight' part is almost offensive given how the Fallout series thus far has been, almost accidentally, really sexually progressive.

EDIT: One of the first mods that will come out once we get the Creation Kit, I'm sure, is a same-sex marriage mod. And that will probably be the best we can hope for in terms of a fix, I'd certainly accept it, but it's still going to be a problem that will never go away.

:agreed:

As an immersion sperg, I just don't want to play as the kind of person who'd be idyllic and happily settled in Fallout's awful pre war dystopia.

It's like if Skyrim started you as a happily married Thalmor interrogator enjoying an early retirement (wait no that would be awesome)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

In Fallout 4 if you play as the wife, and set your intelligence to literally the lowest possible setting, you still have a law degree.

Dunno if that's Bethesda being dumb or brilliant though.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Thin Privilege posted:

GGGHHHHHHHHHHH

I've seen several of these so far: "it's" instead of "its" (also from Danse), "keep your eyes pealed," and similar. RIP subtitles.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

kazil posted:

In Fallout 4 if you play as the wife, and set your intelligence to literally the lowest possible setting, you still have a law degree.

Is there a dialogue system that actually reflects the fact that you are a drooling retard if you have low intelligence in this one?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I've seen several of these so far: "it's" instead of "its" (also from Danse), "keep your eyes pealed," and similar. RIP subtitles.

Your eyes will peal after I ring your head like a bell (is there a knuckle cracking emoticon? I need it for a project)

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
What's dragging Fallout 4 down for me is that it's only easy to build on flat ground which there's gently caress all of. No wonder people are looking to me for help if i'm building them hovering houses to live in.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

They should have gone full sims and let you smooth out terrain.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kazil posted:

Its Bethsada not giving a single gently caress, the entire game is filled with moments that just feel like Beth didn't give a gently caress in many aspects, its pretty clear they don't have the slightest idea why people liked New Vegas so much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Breetai posted:

Is there a dialogue system that actually reflects the fact that you are a drooling retard if you have low intelligence in this one?
yep, unfortunately it's bugged and is all that displays regardless of how high your intelligence is

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Its Bethsada not giving a single gently caress, the entire game is filled with moments that just feel like Beth didn't give a gently caress in many aspects, its pretty clear they don't have the slightest idea why people liked New Vegas so much.

It uses the SPECIAL system purely for stats, not for roleplaying. I've... I've come to terms with this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

kazil posted:

Add that as another thing I don't like about their defining the protagonist, then. I'd have thought they would at least have the sense to recognize that people with different jobs would have different approaches to post-apocalyptia, given how they themselves directly played on that in Fallout 3's character creation.

But no. They're either that stupid, stubborn or ignorant of why people actually enjoy their games that they've decided to declare that one, too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's even the point in giving the player a strongly pre-determined background in Fallout 4?

The PC in New Vegas who was shot in the head on a delivery job, but who came back from the dead, gives a lot of lee-way in how that character's past went and how their future will go. It's a set-up for loads of role-playing opportunities, which the game provides. The PC can choose to favour an over-stretched democracy, a regressive autocracy, a pragmatic business-empire, or push their luck and go independent.

The PC in Fallout 4 was in a hetero-marriage with a son, only for their spouse to be killed and their son kidnapped. The PC's quest is to find their son. That's not back-story and motivation, that's just baggage that needlessly limits role-playing. This isn't the "The Last of Us", it's a sandbox RPG. No players are going to give enough of a poo poo to make finding their uncanny-valley infant-son, whom they knew for all of five minutes, a priority. Does a setting this colourful need the old "It's Personal" cliche to get the ball rolling?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Nov 15, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tweet Me Balls posted:

It uses the SPECIAL system purely for stats, not for roleplaying. I've... I've come to terms with this.

It ain't just that, the whole dialogue system is weak as hell, as much as I hate this term cause it feels so elitist, the game feels incredibly simplified in almost all aspects, even the world feels a bit strange, like you have this zone that's insanely full of people and the rest of the map feels so barren and empty.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alteisen posted:

Fallout 3 sold better and was reviewed better than New Vegas.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sleeveless posted:

People liked Fallout 3, too. I'm worried that Bethesda thought this was entirely due to Liam Neeson.

I know this doesn't mean a whole lot, especially right now, but Fallout 3 is higher on Metacritic. By five points critically, which is quite a lot for the high end of things. The user ratings are 8.0 to 5.1, which even assuming reflexively lovely reviews is HUGE.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Nov 15, 2015

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
When NV came out all I remember is people talking about how broken it was. The most positive reviews I remember reading at launch were basically "If you can get past the frequent gamebreaking bugs there is a really rewarding experience". It feels like it took the better part of a year for it to reach the almost godly reputation it has now.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Glokta posted:

What's dragging Fallout 4 down for me is that it's only easy to build on flat ground which there's gently caress all of. No wonder people are looking to me for help if i'm building them hovering houses to live in.

You can build foundations to flatten an area for putting a building on. You're still p hosed if you want to build a fence around your compound though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kazil posted:

Maybe she used to be smart, but then suffered a brain injury or something.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The PC in Fallout 4 was in a hetero-marriage with a son, only for their spouse to be killed and their son kidnapped. The PC's quest is to find their son. That's not back-story and motivation, that's just baggage that needlessly limits role-playing. This isn't the "The Last of Us", it's a sandbox RPG. No players are going to give enough of a poo poo to make finding their uncanny-valley infant-son, whom they knew for all of five minutes, a priority. Does a setting this colourful need the old "It's Personal" cliche to get the ball rolling?
Reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates:

:siren: Your family-members have been abducted, find and rescue them! :siren:
:pirate: Nah, I think I'll just become a pirate-hunting bigamist duke instead.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

And?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

New Vegas is better in just about every way I want a Fallout game to be better.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Captain Lavender posted:

New Vegas is better in just about every way I want a Fallout game to be better.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cleretic posted:

People liked Fallout 3, too.

I mean, FO3 was actually good. You can look back on it from 7 years on and after NV, but at the time it was really fun and innovative.

FO4 is just a lazy recycle of what FO3 is. FO4 is a game that belongs in 2009.