Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Is there some new thing to get lil' brimstone? Twice he has joined my parade of guys as lilith, and I haven't picked him up.

Cambion Conception, which you can unlock for her as a starting item, has a low chance of spawning a devil-based familiar when you take damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Cambion Conception, which you can unlock for her as a starting item, has a low chance of spawning a devil-based familiar when you take damage.

It's actually after Lilith takes a certain amount of hits. I think it was 15.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Dr. Fetus posted:

It's actually after Lilith takes a certain amount of hits. I think it was 15.

Oh, my mistake. I haven't kept up on all the specifics since I don't have Afterbirth myself.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Am I the only one who actually LIKES the keeper? Similar to buffed Lost, once you've unlocked the wooden nickel starting item you pretty much have one hit per room, and instead of flight + spectral tears you get more offense in the triple shot and extra money for using shops. My only real complaint is that devil deals are completely impossible to use, 1 heart deals are possible but generally not worth it and 2 heart deals will just kill you outright.
Overall he seems like a hard but fair character post unlocks, though having to beat Isaac to get the nickel is kind of annoying, still better than getting Lost's holy mantle though.

That's really what the "Keeper starts with a penny" unlock from the Hush should do.
|
v

Einwand fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 15, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

1 heart deals are takeable if you have a health up elsewhere on the floor, since you can regain the second coin. Personally I think it'd be nice if they increased the max number of coinhearts he can have to 3 so that you at least could have a shot at taking the cooler devil deal items.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I kinda wish the Spider Mod item was just a regular feature in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

1 heart deals are takeable if you have a health up elsewhere on the floor, since you can regain the second coin. Personally I think it'd be nice if they increased the max number of coinhearts he can have to 3 so that you at least could have a shot at taking the cooler devil deal items.

oh poo poo that never occurred to me, but he can't even take stuff like brimstone without dying can he? that's kind of a bummer

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Beat Boss Rush as Keeper and unlocked "Sticky Nickels". Anyone know what that's all about?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Manatee Cannon posted:

oh poo poo that never occurred to me, but he can't even take stuff like brimstone without dying can he? that's kind of a bummer

The only way I can think of besides Chaos would be to have the D6 or a Perthro Rune and reroll a 1 heart deal into Brimstone.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Beat Boss Rush as Keeper and unlocked "Sticky Nickels". Anyone know what that's all about?

Sometimes a nickel will stick to the ground and you can't pick it up until you bomb it free.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

An irritating pickup. Essentially the Nickel will flip over once Isaac tries to pick one up, and gets stuck to the ground. To get the Nickel, Isaac has to bomb it.

e:fb

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
man a whole lot of these new unlocks really put me off this whole "unlocking everything" thing

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fetus posted:

An irritating pickup. Essentially the Nickel will flip over once Isaac tries to pick one up, and gets stuck to the ground. To get the Nickel, Isaac has to bomb it.

So basically a punishment achievement? haha.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone actually unlocked the Keeper legitimately yet? This seems like it'll take an extremely high number of runs

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Dr. Fetus posted:

cool upgrade i love video games

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Tetracube posted:

Has anyone actually unlocked the Keeper legitimately yet? This seems like it'll take an extremely high number of runs

ProblemsIRL did because he can actually put in the 20-25 hours needed to do it. But that was before the patch, so he had to do one more run where he put in *a coin* and unlocked everything.

Also I think sticky nickles makes nickles much more common or something? I loving hope it isn't entirely garbage.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are probably bonus nickels from the item. Or supposed to be.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Well, that's Boss Rush, Mom's Heart, Isaac, and ??? done with Keeper now, I'll admit I got lucky, with the ipecac and kidney stone and all. I could have done the Hush too but I was too scared, that's gonna be a really difficult fight without like, piggy bank and/or swallowed penny.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lilith + Guillotine is fun and like literally the only cool thing about Guillotine in the game

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh joy, the unlock for beating Hush with Keeper is Keeper now starts with a penny! How disappointing..

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Power of Pecota posted:

Lilith + Guillotine is fun and like literally the only cool thing about Guillotine in the game

That item still makes me motion sick. Not even first person shooters make me motion sick. If I wind up with it on a run reroll or a curse of the blind, I have to quit no matter what.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I just stomped Brains! on my first try.

First floor I decided to bomb into the shop since I had like 5 bombs and 10 coins. There was a sale item that I couldn't see because of Curse of the Blind. I picked it up and it was the Stopwatch.

All I've got left is Speed, Guardian, and Onan's Streak. Let's see if I hate myself by the end of the night.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

It's still a decent damage boost and lowers tear delay below the cap. drat strong with the enough tears up. Helps make the almighty technology + monstro's lung combo ridiculous.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's also a powerful orbital if you can deal with it right! But even the best players have trouble with it sometimes.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Just did a Greed run with Chaos on the first shop, and God Head as the devil deal on the second floor. For only one heart. :getin:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

I was just too slow to dodge the beams, I literally couldn't get away.

:negative:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

dis astranagant posted:

There's a bunch of items that make him nearly invulnerable but getting to them is pretty awful. Bonus points for being all but locked out of the good devil items.

Basically anyone can hit near invulnerability already, or literal invincibility with gnawed leaf + some sort of passive damage.

I mean, compare the two:

The Lost gets free devil deals, innate flight, can take a hit and live per room outside of a curse room thanks to the Holy Mantle, innate spectral tears, and if you don't mind becoming a 1-hit glass cannon has a panic "salvage this run" button in the form of the D4.

The Keeper still has devil deal costs and can't ever take 2 heart ones without dying, can take a hit and live each time you pick up a coin (something less reliable to say the least than the Lost, although Wooden Nickel helps), no flight or spectral tears, and starting with innate triple shot. Also you don't get bonuses from the Polaroid/the Negative or the Whore of Babylon ever, which is just dumb. Or how health down pills reduce your max health but health up won't raise it.

Not to mention the unlocks: Compare Godhead and the Body/Mind/Soul trio (and the D100 for maximum hilarity) to sticky nickels, having the Keeper start with a penny (from beating goddamn Hush why would you make that an unlock to begin with), and the (to be fair unique and not terrible) Karma. It's like the game punishes you for using him at all.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

I kinda wish the Spider Mod item was just a regular feature in the game.

Yeah it doesn't even particularly leak anything important, it's just nice to have some arithmetic feedback.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Power of Pecota posted:

I can't use Guillotine. I somehow get motion sickness or something from it and I don't get motion sickness from ANYTHING else in life. And I mean anything.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

Basically anyone can hit near invulnerability already, or literal invincibility with gnawed leaf + some sort of passive damage.

I mean, compare the two:

The Lost gets free devil deals, innate flight, can take a hit and live per room outside of a curse room thanks to the Holy Mantle, innate spectral tears, and if you don't mind becoming a 1-hit glass cannon has a panic "salvage this run" button in the form of the D4.

The Keeper still has devil deal costs and can't ever take 2 heart ones without dying, can take a hit and live each time you pick up a coin (something less reliable to say the least than the Lost, although Wooden Nickel helps), no flight or spectral tears, and starting with innate triple shot. Also you don't get bonuses from the Polaroid/the Negative or the Whore of Babylon ever, which is just dumb. Or how health down pills reduce your max health but health up won't raise it.

Not to mention the unlocks: Compare Godhead and the Body/Mind/Soul trio (and the D100 for maximum hilarity) to sticky nickels, having the Keeper start with a penny (from beating goddamn Hush why would you make that an unlock to begin with), and the (to be fair unique and not terrible) Karma. It's like the game punishes you for using him at all.

I agree that Keeper is pretty bad, but he's not without benefits. His triple shot seems to be faked by giving him a bunch of tears down instead of multiplying delay like inner eye, letting you get back to the normal tear cap with enough tears up items. Wooden nickel gives him some surprising survivability and combines with the store key to let you buy out most shops pretty easily. We all just gotta git gud, I guess.

You should be glad that most of his unlocks are pointless: he's clearly designed as one last challenge and if anything amazing was hidden behind him hardly anyone would get to use it, much like Godhead is now.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kawalimus posted:

I can't use Guillotine. I somehow get motion sickness or something from it and I don't get motion sickness from ANYTHING else in life. And I mean anything.

Guillotine is mildly disturbing.

However, what makes Lilith + Guillotine great is that you get more heads.

So you get surrounded by Guillotine heads.

The effect is amazing, but the visual is extremely disturbing at that point.

Until eventually you get 4 or 5 heads, and it loops back around to normal, simply because you can no longer really see the main body anyway.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 15, 2015

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

guillotine is one of my favorites. one of the few things that provide a decent challenge while giving you nice boosts to make up for it.

gently caress Retro Vision though

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

dis astranagant posted:

I agree that Keeper is pretty bad, but he's not without benefits. His triple shot seems to be faked by giving him a bunch of tears down instead of multiplying delay like inner eye, letting you get back to the normal tear cap with enough tears up items. Wooden nickel gives him some surprising survivability and combines with the store key to let you buy out most shops pretty easily. We all just gotta git gud, I guess.

You should be glad that most of his unlocks are pointless: he's clearly designed as one last challenge and if anything amazing was hidden behind him hardly anyone would get to use it, much like Godhead is now.

I'll give him another fair shot and the starting triple shot is pretty fun, but the issue is that some of those unlocks are just rude.

He's backwards in that you actually want angel rooms rather than devil rooms with him, just because devil deals are such terrible ideas for him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So...has Brownie ever just teleported all over the gently caress for anyone else? Not bounced, but literally spazzed out and blinked across the room a billion times during his charge attack like he got stuck on something and the game didn't know what the gently caress.

Just happened to me and while I'm kinda pissed at taking unavoidable damage I'm laughing too hard to really care.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I've played a bit of WoTL and rebirth, and NL's isaac runs are background noise when I work, so when afterbirth came out I just downloaded a save file with real platinum god because gently caress doing the lost runs. I've really been enjoying the hell out of Afterbirth? I'm not good enough to rush through all the content quickly, so that probably has to do with it. It's a fun patch, I like greed mode more than normal mode (because I am bad and greed mode feels easier, and that's where the new stuff is.)

Enemies that need to get hosed in greed mode: moles, black bomb spiders, red brimstone ghosts, the stain in general, first floor krampus

Beekeeping and You fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 15, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alkydere posted:

So...has Brownie ever just teleported all over the gently caress for anyone else? Not bounced, but literally spazzed out and blinked across the room a billion times during his charge attack like he got stuck on something and the game didn't know what the gently caress.

Just happened to me and while I'm kinda pissed at taking unavoidable damage I'm laughing too hard to really care.

Did you have magnetic tears?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Alkydere posted:

Yeah this happened to me for the first time earlier today. I don't know what the gently caress but it was strange. I was already smashing everything so it wasn't a big deal.

In other news, attempted each of the new challenges (other than XXXXXXXL which I did on launch day) once tonight and managed to beat all of them but Speed on the first try.

Not that I'm that good, but I got pretty lucky on them. Blank Card + The Emperor in The Guardian was great. I got Scarred Womb for both end stages but I used the blank card on the first one then used the card itself on the second and didn't have to do poo poo.

I did however lose a whole two bars of health between Mom and It Lives. I don't understand how you're supposed to keep that rear end in a top hat alive in those fights if you don't have full health.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RatHat posted:

Did you have magnetic tears?

Nope. Scythes + Proptosis + Continuum. The setup vaporized him pretty well anyways, but it was hilarious. Continuum + any form of piercing is hilarious against Mom's Foot because you can hit two of her parts peaking through the door at once.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Azazel + Tiny Planet + Scatter Bombs + Sad Bombs.

Seed is E2R70L74. Make sure you buy Chaos when you see it in the shop.

EDIT: Oh my god depths 2 has homing bombs and the blue womb has blast damage and bomber boy.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 15, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So even with Everything is Terrible 2 Greed seems much easier now. I can certainly kill him much faster now, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
HE NEVER SAW ME COMING