Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I'm convinced the AI got a damage bonus in addition to the levels in NG+. Bandit camps are ridiculous now even several levels above them.

I never had trouble with them first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They probably did. Before the last patch NG+ was incredibly easy even on deathmarch.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Ok just beat the game. Did I get the "good" ending? I ended up with Yenefer, faked Ciri's death to the emperor, and gave her a silver sword. I was very satisfied and happy with the ending, though I think I hosed up the political choices. I let Nilfguard run over the North, letting Temeria survive as an imperial state.

Again, this was the best video game I've ever played. Kinda sucks because I think it will kinda ruin me for most games, and I dont really feel like playing through it again.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Terrible Horse posted:

Ok just beat the game. Did I get the "good" ending? I ended up with Yenefer, faked Ciri's death to the emperor, and gave her a silver sword. I was very satisfied and happy with the ending, though I think I hosed up the political choices. I let Nilfguard run over the North, letting Temeria survive as an imperial state.
That's probably the best personal ending yeah. Politically, there is no unambiguously "good" ending. Politics is hosed.

Terrible Horse posted:

Again, this was the best video game I've ever played. Kinda sucks because I think it will kinda ruin me for most games, and I dont really feel like playing through it again.

I've definitely noticed this ruining me for other RPGs, sadly. It's well worth another playthrough though. There's lots of little details you wouldn't notice the first time.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

pmchem posted:

Question about the PC version's UI:

Witcher 1's UI was bad, unplayable with mouse and keyboard (to me).
Witcher 3's UI was good, easily playable with mouse and keyboard.

What is Witcher 2's like? Is it closer to W1 or W3? What did they change from W2 to W3 (patch 1.11)?

W2 is completely fine with kb/m and not really at all compromised by being multiplatform. The main difference is that there is no short dodge in W2 so you don't have to double-tap WASD--just press spacebar to dodge roll everything. You don't drink potions during combat in W2 so there aren't many quick use keys and you have a selection wheel for knives, traps, and bombs. There's also no focus mode for finding clues and poo poo. You have a button on a short cooldown that highlights every interactable in a small radius for a brief period. Standard hotkeys for map, inventory, journal, etc.

I found it totally playable right from the beginning.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
This time around I helped Hjalmar in King's Gambit and we didn't even find out that Birna was behind the bear attacks. We just killed some bear people and Hjalmar was all like "WELP WE SURE SOLVED THAT MYSTERY". Everybody was talking about how Hjalmar will be a good king just as long as Crach is around to reign him in except Crach is scheduled to die later on. The game is telling me I made the wrong choice, isn't it?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

That's probably the best personal ending yeah.

I guess it's a personal preference thing and a lot of goons like Witcher Ciri ending but I have no desire for that ending. Empress Ciri was what I got and like the most.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

I guess it's a personal preference thing and a lot of goons like Witcher Ciri ending but I have no desire for that ending. Empress Ciri was what I got and like the most.

That's the ending I got, and I loved it. One of my favorite endings ever. I was surprised at how much I liked Ciri, but the writing, animation, and acting made it easy to believe there was a deep connection there.

"Thought we had time. A lot more time."

Shiiiiiiiit.

It says a lot about CDPR that they can make such huge game accessible, engaging, and rewarding for new and old fans alike. This was my first Witcher game and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

the truth fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 15, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JetsGuy posted:

I deliberately shot for making Ciri become Empress and was very pleased that was how it turned out. I only looked up the other endings afterwards and still felt satisfied with my choice.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is there any way to cheat in TW2? I haven't played in years, but I picked it back up to beat so I can play TW3 and now I have to fight a loving dragon. I just keep dying and dying.
edit: I forgot trainers exist

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 15, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Endings Empress Ciri has a nice bittersweet feel but it's really poorly written and implausible and I can't get over that. It's also not the best ending if we're talking how happy everyone ends up.

If I want a sad ending I'd just go with the one where she dies. It's probably the best executed one overall and doesn't require weird logical leaps, inconsistent characterization, and ignore the themes of the series.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
"Sad" ending is incredibly good.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah it's really well done. Kind of painful to watch, but deliberately so. A shame to get it you have to make Geralt act like an idiot. Which I guess kind of undermines my earlier point, come to think of it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I finished the main game and moved into the Hearts of Stone content. The "Dead Man's Party" quest is probably the first quest in the game where I wasn't really into the story line. It gets a bit tedious for awhile there.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Don't worry. It's just there to relieve tension for the very heavy stuff to come. Lots of people seemed to enjoy that lighter part but yeah I was more interested in the other parts of the expansion myself.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Hmmm, my game has started crashing after about 150 hours of zero issues. Has there been any kind of patch/update that's messed anything up? Closest thing to an error I can find is something about a random .dll file but no indication beyond that.

Edit: Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Edit 2: VS debugger reports: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 15, 2015

Overdoze
Jan 6, 2008

Revolution of evolution
edit: wrong thead, whoops.

edit2: I guess I could ask whether or not the DLC expansions are worth the money? More witcher sounds great but how is the story compared to the main game?

Overdoze fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 15, 2015

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The DLC storyline is very high-quality, easily matching the best moments from the main game. Even if you just rush through the DLC's main quest, I'd wager it would take you a couple hours to reach the end. CDR weren't bullshittingnwhen they pegged the number of hours in the DLC at around 10. Whether that is worth the price is up to you, but I was personally satisfied with what I got.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Lareine posted:

This time around I helped Hjalmar in King's Gambit and we didn't even find out that Birna was behind the bear attacks. We just killed some bear people and Hjalmar was all like "WELP WE SURE SOLVED THAT MYSTERY". Everybody was talking about how Hjalmar will be a good king just as long as Crach is around to reign him in except Crach is scheduled to die later on. The game is telling me I made the wrong choice, isn't it?

(Skellige Isle endings) Well, the whole point of the choice is whether you want Skellige ruled by reason and political patience or do you want to maintain the old ways, regardless of what happens? Birna got her wish in a sense, Skellige is a little less backwards if you side with Cerys.

I didn't play through the ending you just did, but I figured Crach was an rear end in a top hat when he was a kid, too. Hjalmar's wisdom will come in time.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

All this chat about endings had me go look up the Empress one, does anyone know what armour this guy has on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8OdJZQ8NLI

Spoilers, obviously.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Hmmm, my game has started crashing after about 150 hours of zero issues. Has there been any kind of patch/update that's messed anything up? Closest thing to an error I can find is something about a random .dll file but no indication beyond that.

Edit: Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Edit 2: VS debugger reports: 0xC0000374: A heap has been corrupted

Turns out the GOG overlay that was patched in a couple of days ago is bugged and causes random crashes on some systems, so much for testing!

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Slashrat posted:

The DLC storyline is very high-quality, easily matching the best moments from the main game. Even if you just rush through the DLC's main quest, I'd wager it would take you a couple hours to reach the end. CDR weren't bullshittingnwhen they pegged the number of hours in the DLC at around 10. Whether that is worth the price is up to you, but I was personally satisfied with what I got.

I think $1/hour is very reasonable for DLC. $5/20 minutes in Arkham Knight I dont feel like paying, but I'm definitely going to pick up both DLCs when the second comes out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I will say the "bad" ending for HoS seems much more fun. I missed the damned sword though doing the "good" way.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty intrigued by the developers setting the campaign in Toussaint, the Disneyland of Nilfgaard. It's like the one place on the Continent where fantasy tropes aren't subverted on the reg.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

All this chat about endings had me go look up the Empress one, does anyone know what armour this guy has on?

Looks like Witch Hunter's Armor or Eternal Fire Executioner's Armor. No self-respecting witcher would wear that poo poo though. :colbert: At least remove the insignia first ffs.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

JetsGuy posted:

I will say the "bad" ending for HoS seems much more fun. I missed the damned sword though doing the "good" way.

How is that the bad ending?

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm pretty intrigued by the developers setting the campaign in Toussaint, the Disneyland of Nilfgaard. It's like the one place on the Continent where fantasy tropes aren't subverted on the reg.

The first blurb they released implied that the reason Toussaint is the magical duchy of Disney was going to turn out to be some horrible secret, I thought.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just finished HoS a little bit ago. I spread it out over five or six days and had a great time. There was also quite a bit added to the NE corner of the map. At first I thought it was just the one little town and lake and a couple houses and farms. Well worth the money - that was a more comprehensive story than many full retail games. It was similar to the Bloody Baron quests, but I liked this one more because I had no sympathy for the Baron as he was fully responsible for all of his own actions. I guess there are two endings, judging by a recent post. I got two swords - a Witcher sword and a sword as a gift. Seemed like a good ending to me. The lighting in the last scene was beautiful.

Is the next expansion supposed to take place during the story, or after? Not sure if I should send my level 39 character from the nice world of Sword 'n Story to the nightmare of NG+ Death March. If it requires a high level then I will probably just wait, as I can't be sure I will have the time to beat the game again. Maybe I should actually learn how to use potions and make a bomb other than the one or two required in the story.

I wish I had the patience to platinum this game, especially given how many hours I have spent on it, but there are so many dull grind trophies that I am glad that I can just put it out of my mind completely.

MotorCityBadBoy
Nov 15, 2015

the truth posted:

Is the next expansion supposed to take place during the story, or after? Not sure if I should send my level 39 character from the nice world of Sword 'n Story to the nightmare of NG+ Death March. If it requires a high level then I will probably just wait, as I can't be sure I will have the time to beat the game again. Maybe I should actually learn how to use potions and make a bomb other than the one or two required in the story.

I vaguely remember that either Marcin Momot or someone else from CDprojektRed made a comment implying it is suppose to take place after. Something about how Geralt wouldn't travel across the continent on a side quest when Ciri's whereabouts were on the line.

I'm sure they'll provide another New Game+ feature where you can start out automatically leveled up with gear to handle Blood & Wine content much like they did for Hearts of Stone.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure they've said no explicitly post-game expansions.

MotorCityBadBoy posted:

Something about how Geralt wouldn't travel across the continent on a side quest when Ciri's whereabouts were on the line.

Kind of an arbitrary line to draw with all the other stuff he can waste time doing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Sharmat posted:

Kind of an arbitrary line to draw with all the other stuff he can waste time doing.
Speaking of, I just started not too long ago and just left White Orchard. Oh my god there are so many question marks on the map of this new zone!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Speaking of, I just started not too long ago and just left White Orchard. Oh my god there are so many question marks on the map of this new zone!

I did a bunch of those, got burnt out by Skellig and am actually now just finishing the game. So, uh, space it out I guess.

Speaking of which I picked up Hearts of Stone and am just having a bitch of a time with the toad fight since I'm completely out of practice. I guess I'm going to cheese it with Igni.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Don't seek out question marks, do them on the way to other things. That way they are fun little diversions instead of something you feel obliged to methodically collect

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chunkles posted:

I did a bunch of those, got burnt out by Skellig and am actually now just finishing the game. So, uh, space it out I guess.

Speaking of which I picked up Hearts of Stone and am just having a bitch of a time with the toad fight since I'm completely out of practice. I guess I'm going to cheese it with Igni.

The fights in the expansion usually have gimmicks. You're not out of practice. Experiment to learn the trick.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I freed a merchant North of the Hanged's Man Tree but the little sack icon still appears inside the cage and I don't remember where he said he was going. Where can I find him now?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

How is that the bad ending?

I mean, helping O'Dimm is pretty clearly the "bad" ending. Oligerd is a scumbag and all but helping the literal devil to take a soul is pretty clearly the "bad" of the two options.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
What sword did you miss then? I got Iris and the Legendary Viper Silver Sword doing the "good" ending.

Also he's not the literal devil. Just close.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Sharmat posted:

What sword did you miss then? I got Iris and the Legendary Viper Silver Sword doing the "good" ending.

Also he's not the literal devil. Just close.

You get the Iris from Oligerd. The Legendary Viper Silver Sword is very miss-able as it's only in the netherworld or whatever. I saw it twice but didn't run into it the time I actually figured out the way to the house.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

same

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I actually managed to miss the steel one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
If I play through Hearts of Stone with a pre-made, can I use that save for New Game+? I lost my own clear save and I kind of don't want to download someone else's.