Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

I had a prototype pilot once take on Vader and a couple of TIEs. He took out one TIE, damaged another, and forced Vader to drive across some proxy mines to get the kill.

It was a total fluke though, I couldn't roll anything but hits and evades.

I use a lot of Z-95s so i'm used to 2-attack ships. They do their thing. I've gotten lots of kills with them including Soontir more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Pissed off merc Katarn wearing a giant overcoat that has a ton of shield armor and every drat weapon at once because light sabers are for wussies = best Katarn.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
In X-wing he just rides on the Outrider chilling out and giving Dash focus when he greens up after doing his big movement shenanigan.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The FFG card game has the Skipray Blastboat and TIE Scout so I wouldn't be surprised if they make an appearance in X-Wing at some point.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't see anything in the OP but is are there a couple of decent balanced starter squads (in terms of pilots/upgrades) people recommend for the stuff in the force awakens core set, beyond the intro tutorial mission? I've also got a TIE fighter and TIE advanced if that makes it easier

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kai Tave posted:

Correct, Keyan wants cannons, advanced systems (which unfortunately you don't have, good ones for him are Fire Control System and Advanced Sensors), and ways to generate stress on demand (like Stay on Target). Torpedoes run counter to his ability as you've noted.

Actually I checked my collection of cards, and I have both Stay on Target & Advanced Sensors (from the YT-2400 & E-Wing, respectively).

So here's my revised list:
99 points
-Jake Farrell (28) A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Calculation (1), Autothrusters (2), Outmaneuver (3)
-Tycho Celchu (30) A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Wired (1), Autothrusters (2), Push the Limit (3)
-Keyan Farlander (41) B-Wing (29), Advanced Sensors (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Stay on Target (2)

I'm tempted to grab a Kihraxz for the cards (Lightning Reflexes & Predator) to replace Wired & Outmaneuver, but I'd feel like an absolute jerk doing that just to get some more advantage in a friendly tourney. I must resist the lure of the dark side!

Ayn Randi posted:

I couldn't see anything in the OP but is are there a couple of decent balanced starter squads (in terms of pilots/upgrades) people recommend for the stuff in the force awakens core set, beyond the intro tutorial mission? I've also got a TIE fighter and TIE advanced if that makes it easier

Some of the 'big box' expansions (Falcon, Rebel/Imperial Aes, etc.) tend to come with further missions. Usually what it boils down to is just 100 points vs. 100 points. So I'd suggest grabbing Rebel Aces or the Falcon, since that gives you more stuff for the Rebels as well as a new scenario. Mostly, just focus on getting ships you like the look of.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 12, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I don't even play rebels.

Why did I buy this Tantive IV?

...so cool looking

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 12, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

...so cool looking

Play the campaign that comes with it, it's fun.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Deviant posted:

...so cool looking

Corellian corvettes were primarily an imperial ship so you're good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Deviant posted:

...so cool looking

That's a good question, considering the Imperial Raider is a thing that exists.

Yes, it's cooler looking that the Corvette, and I say that as a Rebel player. Deal with it. :colbert:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So this ship appeared in the last couple episodes of Rebels I kinda feel like this would play the same role as the raider, and personally, I like the look better. Thoughts?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So this ship appeared in the last couple episodes of Rebels I kinda feel like this would play the same role as the raider, and personally, I like the look better. Thoughts?

Its a clone wars ship (which i think is a big reason its not going to be touched soon) and its bigger than the corvette so I don't know if it fits in too precisely to x-wing. Seems fine for armada though and I could see it coming out for x-wing after the scum large ships are a thing off in the distant future. Though to be honest I think the Imperial Raider genuinely looks better than that.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chill la Chill posted:

Corellian corvettes were primarily an imperial ship so you're good.

Only in the now non-canon Legends stuff. All representations of the CR-90 in the new stuff has been as a rebel ship (Tantive IV in A New Hope, Star Wars Rebels, etc).

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why didn't they use a Carrack or a Lancer? Too big?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Alctel posted:

Why didn't they use a Carrack or a Lancer? Too big?

Both are almost twice the size of a CR-90. Lancer a little less, Carrack a little more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Endman posted:

Only in the now non-canon Legends stuff. All representations of the CR-90 in the new stuff has been as a rebel ship (Tantive IV in A New Hope, Star Wars Rebels, etc).

Oh, weird. I thought they would've kept that part to show how desperate the alliance was. I'm only on episode 8 of the Rebels show and haven't seen the CR90 yet.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's a good question, considering the Imperial Raider is a thing that exists.

Yes, it's cooler looking that the Corvette, and I say that as a Rebel player. Deal with it. :colbert:

...i have both now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Poopy Palpy posted:

Both are almost twice the size of a CR-90. Lancer a little less, Carrack a little more.

Also the Lancer is ugly. It's just a big flying box.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Yeah the Imperial Raider looks a tonne better than any of those ships. I mean if your going to have a giant space wang in x-wang you better pick a good looking wang.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Star Wars: X-Wing - If you're going to pick a space-wang, better make it pretty

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Deviant posted:

...i have both now.

Sounds like you're doing X-Wing right.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a gift card and CSI is doing 10% off everything for the next hour, how is this for a starter list for 2 players? I basically picked cool looking ships and ended up with this. Anything I should switch out?

code:
X-Wing: Core Set
X-Wing: The Force Awakens Core Set
X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion Pack
X-Wing: K-Wing Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Rebel Aces Expansion Pack
X-Wing: TIE Bomber Expansion Pack
X-Wing: TIE Punisher Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Imperial Aces Expansion Pack

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 13, 2015

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Good thing is that "cool looking ships" is a fine way of doing it. Only thing I'd change is that the TIE Bomber is a bit of a dud. I'd swap it out with a TIE Phantom because they're good and fun as heck.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'd recommend grabbing an Interceptor to go with Imperial Aces and an A-Wing and B-Wing to go with Rebel Aces. Though you can probably skip those for now if you prefer the bomber selections you've picked out. Those packs do have different upgrades and pilots for the ships from the Aces packs though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a gift card and CSI is doing 10% off everything for the next hour, how is this for a starter list for 2 players? I basically picked cool looking ships and ended up with this. Anything I should switch out?

code:
X-Wing: Core Set
X-Wing: The Force Awakens Core Set
X-Wing: Y-Wing Expansion Pack
X-Wing: K-Wing Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Rebel Aces Expansion Pack
X-Wing: TIE Bomber Expansion Pack
X-Wing: TIE Punisher Expansion Pack
X-Wing: Imperial Aces Expansion Pack

It'll cost a little more but I'd maybe switch the TIE Bomber out for a Firespray so both sides have a big ship to fly. The Punisher is basically a Bomber+ anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok, switched out the Bomber for a Phantom, and added the Slave 1, VT-49, and YT-2400 cause big ships are cool as heck.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok, switched out the Bomber for a Phantom, and added the Slave 1, VT-49, and YT-2400 cause big ships are cool as heck.

You should be plenty good to go at that point. Later if you guys like the game other individual expacs will have cool stuff you can slowly pick up (Interceptor, X-Wing, A/B-Wings) and there's a whole nother faction in Scum.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I was thinking of putting together a Redline squad since I like to try and get time on every ship at some point. I know the common problem with Redline or any Punisher is loading them down with points since they're pretty easy to blow up - but the advice I've heard is to try and screen them with a mini-swarm and to try to stick to range 3 where autothrusters can potentially help a little.

Does this list make sense?

Redline (39)
TIE Punisher (27)
Fire Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Howlrunner (23)
TIE Fighter (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
TIE Fighter (13)

TIE Fighter (13)

Academy Pilot (12)
TIE Fighter (12)

Total: 100

I thought maybe a Howlrunner/Black Sqn Crackshot squad might be better but I'm loathe to drop any points from Redline to be able to afford it. It just seems silly sending a bomber into the field with only one piece of ordnance even with extra munitions and FCS seems really handy with the unique pilot ability. Is 39 points too many still though?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ZenMastaT posted:

I was thinking of putting together a Redline squad since I like to try and get time on every ship at some point. I know the common problem with Redline or any Punisher is loading them down with points since they're pretty easy to blow up - but the advice I've heard is to try and screen them with a mini-swarm and to try to stick to range 3 where autothrusters can potentially help a little.

Does this list make sense?

Redline (39)
TIE Punisher (27)
Fire Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Concussion Missiles (4)
Autothrusters (2)

Howlrunner (23)
TIE Fighter (18)
Swarm Tactics (2)
Stealth Device (3)

TIE Fighter (13)

TIE Fighter (13)

Academy Pilot (12)
TIE Fighter (12)

Total: 100

I thought maybe a Howlrunner/Black Sqn Crackshot squad might be better but I'm loathe to drop any points from Redline to be able to afford it. It just seems silly sending a bomber into the field with only one piece of ordnance even with extra munitions and FCS seems really handy with the unique pilot ability. Is 39 points too many still though?

Autothrusters isn't actually that useful on Redline tbh. You could drop it and shave some points that way. Also I'd be tempted to swap those Concussion Missiles out for Cluster Missiles as if you're running Redline +FCS and NOT using Clusters you're really missing out on some good damage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZenMastaT posted:

..snip...

You're correct with your first paragraph. You can't let the Punisher be the priority target. They have a hefty chunk of HP, but will still die in a couple rounds of concentrated fire. If they die before they fire their munitions, you wasted a third of your list, or more.

Running with a miniswarm is an effective way to do this, for sure! Especially the Howl + 3x Crack Shots miniswarm. If you also give Howl a Crack Shot (and you should), that swarm is 64 points.

So now you have to fit a Redline in with the 36 or less points.

First, drop the autothrusters unless you are facing a lot of non-TLT turrets. TLT's going to get past your pitiful one dice regardless of autothrusters or not. Your Redline is now down to 37 points.

You can free up one more point by switching Concussions for Cluster missiles. Cluster Missiles are the best thing for Redline, period.

I fly this list a lot, either with Redline or with Deathrain. I slightly prefer the Deathrain variant, but it just suits my style better. I'm too impatient to hang back with Redline like I should!

But in both cases, I tend to fly my Punisher and the swarm separate from each other. I start with the swarm in one corner, and then I place the Punisher in the middle-ish of the board, depending on enemy and asteroid placement. The idea is that the enemy has to choose what to attack: the swarm or the Punisher.

Then you swoop in with the other and wreck them. A couple rounds of cluster missile fire will take down most small ships and put a dent in the big ones!

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

ConfusedUs posted:

You can free up one more point by switching Concussions for Cluster missiles. Cluster Missiles are the best thing for Redline, period.

psst, concussions and clusters are the same cost.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KO Derf posted:

psst, concussions and clusters are the same cost.

So they are, so they are. Have to find another way to free a point. I think I dropped crack shot from Howlrunner last time I ran that list.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of which, I actually flew Redline and a miniswarm this evening and did okay. Played a few games with one of my usual opponents. First one I flew the Nera Dantels + APT/Tarn Mison/Tycho list someone posted earlier against Poe and Chewie. Poe got pasted and Nera got both her Advanced Protons off, but then she died and Tarn and Tycho couldn't seal the deal. Upon reflection I'm not fond of Expert Handling on Tycho. Yeah, his unique ability is cute but every time I fly him and rack up a bazillion stress I inevitably find myself wishing I could K-turn at some point rather than wasting turns spinning in circles. The problem isn't 2 red dice, it's lining up shots, especially on higher PS ships. I think I want to try it again, only this time subbing out Expert Handling for Juke and trying to keep his stress more manageable so I can K-turn more (while still reserving the right to go nuts with PtL if I need to).

Second game was with him trying his hand at Imperials. He borrowed my Firespray and ran a Bounty Hunter with an Ion Cannon, Proximity Mines, EU, Slave I, and Extra Munitions along with Zeta Ace + Stealth Device and Omega Ace + Stealth + PtL. I ran a slight variant on the Redline + Miniswarm list, Redline plus Howlrunner plus two Black Squad TIEs. Redline was loaded up with Clusters and Connor Nets while the TIEs all had Crack Shot and Stealth Device.

I managed to blow the Bounty Hunter away by the second round...as I cautioned my friend, using Boost first turn to fly your ship into range of mine when you don't have any evades or focuses to deal with incoming fire probably isn't a thing you want to do that often. Cluster Missiles + FCS did its job as usual, but my Punisher's shields got stripped and then, well, Redline got shot at range 1 by Omega Ace. Three crits, a Major Explosion, Direct Hit, and Loose Stabilizer later somehow he was still alive but in bad shape. My swarm had gotten all out of sorts because of some bad attempted K-turns that didn't quite clear his bases. Still, with four ships to his two and Crack Shot on hand I was able to sort out Omega Ace and managed to win anyway without taking any losses, though by the end all of my ships were at two hull and all my Crack Shots had been depleted. It's a fun list to be sure, and I need more practice with swarms.

Then we did two scenarios. The "rescue a drifting pilot" mission from the Ep7 starter set is like shooting fish in a barrel if you're Poe with BB-8 and PtL. Then we did the mission that comes with the Falcon which is a lot harder and a lot more tense. It came down to Chewie winning or losing on one last "steal the space crate" roll. All I needed was to roll less than three evades on three green dice and I would have won...and so of course I roll three evades, womp-womp. Next time I want to bring the Rebel Transport or the Raider and do some campaign stuff.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Yeah thanks for the advice, I figured Concussion Missiles since they're available at range 3 - that with the Autothrusters would make an alright combo if I could keep the ship at the back, far from enemy guns. It probably isn't doable though, you're right. I like the crackshot swarm and then walking the punisher in behind - I'll probably try that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not that ordnance is that optimal, but I'm kind of surprised to not see Concussion Missiles more. They have a target lock-like effect that makes up a bit for not having a target lock after firing them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZenMastaT posted:

Yeah thanks for the advice, I figured Concussion Missiles since they're available at range 3 - that with the Autothrusters would make an alright combo if I could keep the ship at the back, far from enemy guns. It probably isn't doable though, you're right. I like the crackshot swarm and then walking the punisher in behind - I'll probably try that.

Here are a few variants of the Redline + Miniswarm list that I've tried.

This first one uses the unreleased Thread Tracers to buff up the Crack Shot swarm. In this, you fly Redline within the swarm for the first pass, then (if necessary) break him off to finish off priority targets with the cluster missiles.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...:;12:140:-1:-1:

The Thread Tracers may be redundant with Howlrunner present; I have considered dropping her in favor of a 4th Black Squadron, then giving Redline some kind of bomb to deter arc dodgers, which are easily this list's biggest weakness.

The second list is designed for the more hammer/anvil approach where you fly Redline to the side of the swarm at range 2-ish, and punish the other player for attacking either one. You can drop out the concussion missiles for any 4-5 point munition of your choice. I really like Assault Missiles for the splash damage, but you could just double up on the Cluster Missles, or use Concussions, or a torpedo...

The big problem here is that you have neither Howlrunner nor Thread Tracers to make the swarm dangerous. Two attack dice are going to have a hard time with high-agility targets without either of those. I've considered just dropping them all to Academy Pilots in order to fit a 5th ship in.

In both cases, you have to make compromises to stay under 100. I think Redline costs like 1 or 2 points too many to run with the (in my opinion) the ideal Howlrunner + 3 Black Sq miniswarm, all with Crack Shot.

Deathrain, on the other hand, is a few points less and you can run him with the ideal swarm. I've had far more luck with Deathrain than Redline. Here are the two builds I use with Deathrain.

First up is my anti-aces Deathrain list.

Enhanced Scopes + Connor Net allows me a more-or-less guaranteed ionization of an enemy ship if I start anywhere near it. I either drop it in front of them, or directly on them, or whatever. It's really effective against enemy aces, but leads to fairly predictable moves on Deathrain's part.

And next is my general-purpose Deathrain list. It drops the enhanced scopes and Connor Net in favor of Proton Bombs.

Proton bombs are great for disrupting enemy formations. They're also good at deterring enemy aces; they tend to stay further away to avoid being caught in the blast.

In both cases, the Proxy Mines are there for (a high chance of) unavoidable damage on any enemy I am near. I love them a lot. Every now and then they let me down, that's a risk, but at least I get to shoot after laying them!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ConfusedUs posted:

In both cases, you have to make compromises to stay under 100. I think Redline costs like 1 or 2 points too many to run with the (in my opinion) the ideal Howlrunner + 3 Black Sq miniswarm, all with Crack Shot

I think you can squeeze by with dropping Crack Shot off Howlrunner, and while Thread Tracers look nice I actually had a surprising moment with Redline and Ion Bombs today where my opponent forgot what they were, boosted Boba Fett right over the bomb template, then flew off the board next turn :v: I think 3x Black Squads with Crack Shot, Howlrunner, and Redline with some bombs and Cluster missiles is a pretty solid crew.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kai Tave posted:

I think you can squeeze by with dropping Crack Shot off Howlrunner, and while Thread Tracers look nice I actually had a surprising moment with Redline and Ion Bombs today where my opponent forgot what they were, boosted Boba Fett right over the bomb template, then flew off the board next turn :v: I think 3x Black Squads with Crack Shot, Howlrunner, and Redline with some bombs and Cluster missiles is a pretty solid crew.

Bombs are often unexpected. Most people don't know how to fly against them and often make mistakes like that.

In my first tournament--when I was still ironing out my Deathrain list--I managed to force a Super Dash and a fully loaded Hound's Tooth off the board with ion bombs.

Sadly, there's a bit too situational to be really useful. I tend to do far better with proton bombs or seismic charges.

But in the RIGHT situation, the ion bombs are so satisfying.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My buddy bought an Imperial Raider so we set up a big huge 250pt per side battle. I played rebels with a friend (125pts each) and we played against the Raider guy (200pts) and my other buddy new to the game (50pts).

I took two X-wings, a T-70, a B-wing and an A-wing, my teammate took an E-wing, B-wing, and YT-2400. We faced off against the Raider, Palpatine shuttle, a TIE, TIE/fo, two Interceptors and an Advanced. Rebels avoided the Raider for a while, lost the YT-2400 early but did some nice damage to the pack. Eventually we blew up the Raider and then cleaned up the rest of the ships.

Anyhow it was a fun game, here are some pics:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Does anyone here use a Plano 732 to store their stuff? If so, do you have any pictures that might give me an idea of how you've got it set up? I'd like to try consolidating all my stuff into one single carrying case.

• Locked thread