Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you're ever wondering "why is food X kosher/okay for lent/halal and not food Y" the answer is usually medieval rules lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ah, so it used to be a lot more nuanced, but now everybody just says it's no meat and overlooks the weirdness. Fish is great, good on'em

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/meatship-seinfeld-script/1/

This seems relevant.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
It's not in any regard a sin to be shot with pork bullets. That's just another way for Europeans to obsess about bacon.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Triglav posted:

It's not in any regard a sin to be shot with pork bullets. That's just another way for Europeans to obsess about bacon.

Bacon bullet's on par with telling the judge their rulings don't matter due to gold fringe.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you're ever wondering "why is food X kosher/okay for lent/halal and not food Y" the answer is usually medieval rules lawyers.

See also, Iranian caviar being spontaneously declared un-haram in the 90s because Iranian fisheries were losing tons of money for well founded technicality reasons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Triglav posted:

Europeans don't obsess about bacon. :raise:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

See also, Iranian caviar being spontaneously declared un-haram in the 90s because Iranian fisheries were losing tons of money for well founded technicality reasons.

Same thing with fish, actually. Fisheries in England did well because there were so many meatless feast days. Then Henry VIII started his own church with blackjack and hookers and only papist scum ate fish and all the fisheries went to poo poo because there was no more demand. After he died they decided "well okay, fish is for Fridays" and the fisheries did okay again.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
See, this is how right-wing rhetoric works:

The whole "vegetarian dining hall" thing was a carbon-footprint experiment, not an attempt to force people to be vegetarians.

However, this thread, secret cia marxist plot headquarters, just spent pages debating whether or not it was okay to force people to be vegetarians.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luigi Thirty posted:

Same thing with fish, actually. Fisheries in England did well because there were so many meatless feast days. Then Henry VIII started his own church with blackjack and hookers and only papist scum ate fish and all the fisheries went to poo poo because there was no more demand. After he died they decided "well okay, fish is for Fridays" and the fisheries did okay again.

This owns. God bless Anglicans. :allears:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

Meat ship, cooked, looked like an abortion. Bacon on that turkey will turn into coal hours before the stuffing (WHY?!) even broke 100°F.

3 or 4 good sized strips of bacon on a turkey can help crisp the skin and the rendered fat will help keep the meat moist but an entire weave is ridiculous overkill. Butter is better on turkey than bacon anyway.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interestingly enough, fish is also not considered meat as far as Kosher laws are concerned, hence why you can eat a lox and cream cheese bagel with impunity. :v:

And thank Christ for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grundulum posted:

And thank Christ for that.

You can also eat whatever and not give a gently caress by not keeping Kosher. #justsecularjewthings

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Your Gay Uncle posted:

3 or 4 good sized strips of bacon on a turkey can help crisp the skin and the rendered fat will help keep the meat moist but an entire weave is ridiculous overkill. Butter is better on turkey than bacon anyway.

I just cover the skin in bacon and then do the Alton Brown method which gives the most juicy turkey possible.

Debate talk: The real winner was the proper use of social media to call out the 9/11 masturbation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Interestingly enough, fish is also not considered meat as far as Kosher laws are concerned, hence why you can eat a lox and cream cheese bagel with impunity. :v:

It also doesn't fall under the normal Halal rules, or so my friend who only eats Halal certified stuff tells me.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Supposedly baby goats were boiled in their mother goat's milk as sacrifice to a Canaanite fertility god, and God said don't do that. To be safe, rabbis took it as a recommendation not to eat meat and dairy within the same meal, and since fish can't produce milk to boil baby fish in, fish are considered neutral, or "parve." Eggs are also parve, as well as water.

Similarly, Canaanites supposedly used wine for bad reasons. As such, kosher wine must be bottled by Jews, thus Manischewitz.

A lot of Jewish law is about deterring assimilation, a force considered tantamount to genocide.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Triglav posted:

Similarly, Canaanites supposedly used wine for bad reasons. As such, kosher wine must be bottled by Jews, thus Manischewitz.

I really hate that the glorified grape juice that is Manischewitz is what's associated with kosher wine. There actually is wine out there that is both kosher and good, like Herzog Special Reserve.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

computer parts posted:

It also doesn't fall under the normal Halal rules, or so my friend who only eats Halal certified stuff tells me.

That's true. It's why fish is so great for meetings: It's edible for almost every Muslim, no matter how strict your practice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fired President of Mizzou made the klansman thing up.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Slate's got a hot take in which they chide young millennials for thinking that any change from the way things were post-9/11 is needed. Clearly we need more boots on the ground, more pervasive intelligence, and possibly draft people for the cause if need be!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Fired President of Mizzou made the klansman thing up.

Dude, source this.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Slate's got a hot take in which they chide young millennials for thinking that any change from the way things were post-9/11 is needed. Clearly we need more boots on the ground, more pervasive intelligence, and possibly draft people for the cause if need be!

loving Snake People trying to ruin our democracy

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grundulum posted:

Dude, source this.

Sorry reassessing until confirm. Somebody just poo poo posted the links.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Nonsense posted:

Sorry reassessing until confirm. Somebody just poo poo posted the links.

From what I understand, he heard the rumors and reposted a warning on Facebook without confirming it.

I mean it's easy enough to fall for that rumor - the KKK's demonstrated on campus more than a few times, and I can see some dumbass frat boys either claiming they're from the KKK or spreading the rumor just to mess with the activists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

loving Snake People trying to ruin our democracy

I have no consseptssion of what you are ssuggessting.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

William "A loving moron" Saletan posted:

They’re at war with your way of life.

Oh joy, I haven't heard the ol' "They hate us for our freedom" line in ages.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
This is a time for milennials to step up, take ownership, and sacrifice for their country. For example, by spending money at shopping malls.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well that two trillion dollars we lit on fire and tossed into a bottomless pit during the Bush era sure has made the Middle East much more stable, so gently caress it, I'm in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cool, literally the exact reaction ISIS was hoping to incite

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The prohibition is technically against eating the flesh of warm-blooded animals and fish are deemed to be cold-blooded. You can eat anything fitting that standard but eating fish is customary thanks to the reality of medieval food preparation (salt fish kept well) and medieval rules lawyering.

There's another school of thought (unrelated to catholicism) that anything without a face is fair game, otherwise don't eat it. I'm pretty sure that only leaves eggs and also means no shrimp :smith:

Kellsterik posted:

This is a time for milennials to step up, take ownership, and sacrifice for their country. For example, by spending money at shopping malls.

on it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Well that two trillion dollars we lit on fire and tossed into a bottomless pit during the Bush era sure has made the Middle East much more stable, so gently caress it, I'm in.

To be fair, all I have left are vague memories of George Bush looking loving sweet in a flight suit giving a ballin' rear end speech under a huge "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign, so I'm pretty sure things worked out just fine. I think it was on an aircraft carrier, but it could have been on top of a really tall building or like maybe a dock somewhere; one that was like all industrial and cool. Lotta candy colored people about too, if memory serves.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chokes McGee posted:

There's another school of thought (unrelated to catholicism) that anything without a face is fair game, otherwise don't eat it. I'm pretty sure that only leaves eggs and also means no shrimp :smith:
What about potatoes, they have eyes

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RaySmuckles posted:

To be fair, all I have left are vague memories of George Bush looking loving sweet in a flight suit giving a ballin' rear end speech under a huge "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" sign, so I'm pretty sure things worked out just fine. I think it was on an aircraft carrier, but it could have been on top of a really tall building or like maybe a dock somewhere; one that was like all industrial and cool. Lotta candy colored people about too, if memory serves.
I think you'll find that was Barack Obama who foolishly said that we accomplished a mission while looking like an idiot after he let 9/11 happen :eng101:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think you'll find he invaded Iraq to forcibly install Obamacare.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I think universal healthcare was on the list of stuff Iraq was supposed to get, in fact.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Came here to read some more stuff on last night's debate, stayed for the bacon.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Cool, literally the exact reaction ISIS was hoping to incite

I don't think that ISIL wants people to drop more bombs on them

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tough posted:

I don't think that ISIL wants people to drop more bombs on them

They do until the bombs hit, at which point they complain about it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There's just no pleasing some folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe these no good, ungrateful, not constantly afraid of terrorism millennials need some sort system to let them know threatened they should feel by terrorists. Maybe color code it and tell them how terrified we should be with broad and meaningless 'levels' of implied danger to help stoke a spiraling persecution complex and feverish, revenge filled fantasies. Then they can be less concerned with 'unnecessary surveillance' and 'civil liberties' and can start focusing on the real issue: how we are hated for our freedoms.

• Locked thread