Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Shaped
Jan 16, 2006

The weapons you pick up along the way help. At least they help you do less talking.
my happiest moments with fallout come from seeing the "STIMPACK DOGMEAT" prompt because i know that dead loving dog won't block me when some GWAR roadie throws a grenade at me loving again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Nothing happens when I click there.

Same

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I love nick but he can be pretty judgemental. Yes I am technically stealing something that doesn't belong to me, but it is from insane drugged out cultists, don't give me that look.

Unrelated, the ratio of times I have seen a rotocopter crashing/exploding in a ball of firey death vs flying around normally is pretty abysmal. Someone in the Brotherhood needs to learn that "coming in hot" does not mean to turn your helicopter into a missile

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

I really wouldn't have minded a nice middleground where all the important stuff isn't voice acted but you still had battlecries and stuff so you didn't seem like a mute.

Yeah, my posts in this thread have been embarrassingly angry about the voice acting choice and even I would be comfortable with this. Unfortunately I doubt they're gonna roll this lovely decision back in any subsequent games--sunk cost fallacy + an attempt at consistency + being bad developers is not a good combo

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I love nick but he can be pretty judgemental. Yes I am technically stealing something that doesn't belong to me, but it is from insane drugged out cultists, don't give me that look.

Unrelated, the ratio of times I have seen a rotocopter crashing/exploding in a ball of firey death vs flying around normally is pretty abysmal. Someone in the Brotherhood needs to learn that "coming in hot" does not mean to turn your helicopter into a missile

the only thing they cant crash into is the prydwen which they just clip straight through

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, question halfway through the main quest: I tracked down the Courser for his brain chip, and one of the chat options was something like Reset Code, and my guy said a string of numbers that made the Courser shut down without a fight. Pretty cool, but where on earth did I learn that??

Later on: Also, what would have happened if I didn't tell Father I'd join him? Would I have immediately had to kill everyone? I didn't have a Quicksave to check.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lol an assaultron dominator just oneshot me from full health. guess I better upgrade my armor

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's the best way to boost HP/resistances (besides better armor)? Is it worth using perk points to boost Endurance and/or get the Endurance perks? I'm at 3 Endurance right now on a melee character on Survival difficulty and could use the extra HP.

Does putting perk points in the Armorsmith perk help? Haven't really fiddled with that yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Phenotype posted:

Later on: Also, what would have happened if I didn't tell Father I'd join him? Would I have immediately had to kill everyone? I didn't have a Quicksave to check.

Nah, he just gets all mopey and lets you go without a fight. I still need to see what happens when you actually agree to his demands

AgentJR
Jun 5, 2011

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

LumberingTroll posted:

Holy poo poo, the default launcher has a data menu, but its hidden.

Click here

There is also a link for workshop that takes you to steam.

This does work, but only if you've already added bEnableFileSelection=1 to Fallout4Prefs.ini. Still, thanks Bethesda!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finished Cait's companion questline I guess it's fine that she got clean or whatever. Kind of anticlimactic. But now she's judging me when I do drugs in battle? Bitch, that's the only reason I hung out with you in the first place!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, especially considering functional aircraft are some of the most rare things you can find in Fallout, unless you were dealing with the Enclave in 2-3.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's the best way to boost HP/resistances (besides better armor)? Is it worth using perk points to boost Endurance and/or get the Endurance perks? I'm at 3 Endurance right now on a melee character on Survival difficulty and could use the extra HP.

Does putting perk points in the Armorsmith perk help? Haven't really fiddled with that yet.

eat lots of buffout, med-x, and psycho. and yeah, good armor mods are worth tons and tons of defense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I the only one feeling totally neutral about your character having a voice? I don't think it adds anything or takes it away at all.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Am I the only one feeling totally neutral about your character having a voice? I don't think it adds anything or takes it away at all.

it probably overall takes something away because money was spent on this instead of other things, but because no one can actually know what not having it would have improved you'de have to be a real sausage to give that much of a poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I prefer it. I was never big on role playing though.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I'm having a lot of fun with this game. Out of the three first person Fallout games this one definitely has the best setting, and it's definitely the best looking. I'm so glad that they got rid of that puke green aesthetic from 3, and while New Vegas didn't have that it was still mostly just a big mess of brown, which, to be fair, makes sense seeing as it's set in an arid desert.

Although, as I feared, making the protagonist a talking character really cut just about all of the meat out of the dialogue system, at least at the point I'm at right now. But your character actually having a voice isn't all bad. I actually feel like Fallout 4 has better conversations but worse dialogue, if that makes sense. I haven't gotten to many big important scenes but so far I thought that (early spoilers for Diamond City) the scenes in the intro to Diamond City with Piper were probably the best "cut-scenes" Bethesda has ever done.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Anyway i'm probably going to have to shelve this game until i have a ps4 or a pc that can actually properly handle it. this lovely laptop can get a solid 30+ fps with ini weeks, but only outdoors, interior areas are just about unplayable and nothing i've tried has made it better so whatever.

Hell of a drat good game tho.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Voice acting is a huge money sink in games, so paying to have someone voice this many lines obviously took a lot of time and cash. For something that doesn't really improve the game, that's pretty poor. It doesn't bug me a huge deal since Bethesda's never really good at writing player dialogue. But it does make me worried it will set a trend where any future installments need to have it.

Like say hypothetically Obsidian could New Vegas 2 or something. Having a voiced protagonist there would keep them from giving you a bunch of dialogue options, and with them I would actually care a lot about what my character is gonna say.

More important matters; does anyone know of some cool beachfront property you can make a settlement in? Only one I've found is the lighthouse. Would like to build something in the wharf but there doesn't seem to be any options. Though now that I think about it, its probably because the settler AI would not behave well with water.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

I think it's fine, though it does introduce the mass effect problem of sometimes having the prompt not quite match what you think the character is gonna say

the pc isn't that interesting but I don't think it detracts from the game at all

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Obsidian made Alpha Protocol, which had a voiced protagonist with [You guessed it] 4 conversation options. And it was one of best conversation systems in an action rpg, period. There's nothing innately good or bad about having a voiced protagonist, it's all about how you design around it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Voice acting is a huge money sink in games, so paying to have someone voice this many lines obviously took a lot of time and cash. For something that doesn't really improve the game, that's pretty poor.

But at the same time, the game is great so I have a hard time bring bothered by that. it definitely doesn't feel necessary though.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

i hate it because i want to get to the trader's menu asap and i have to sit through my char's stupid line and their stupid line every single time
also i really wanted to make a cowboy char again but instead because all the armors look dumb and most of the clothes do too my char looks like one of the cannon fodder space marines from halo 1

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NecroMonster posted:

eat lots of buffout, med-x, and psycho. and yeah, good armor mods are worth tons and tons of defense.

Thanks for the advice! I'm basically going with the Doomguy standard of RIP AND TEAR with tons of drugs. :black101:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NESguerilla posted:

But at the same time, the game is great so I have a hard time bring bothered by that. it definitely doesn't feel necessary though.

Yeah this game is amazing in other areas so it isn't bothering me that much, I'm more worried about it setting a bad precedent. It only bugs me a ton when I'm talking to my settlers because my dumbass character won't say hi like a normal person and instead initiates conversations by being an awkward idiot.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Obsidian made Alpha Protocol, which had a voiced protagonist with [You guessed it] 4 conversation options. And it was one of best conversation systems in an action rpg, period. There's nothing innately good or bad about having a voiced protagonist, it's all about how you design around it.

That's a good point. I never played Alpha Protocol so I wasn't sure how it worked there, but I kind of figured your character had a mostly set background and personality and you just went between being serious or being an rear end in a top hat on the job.

In New Vegas it felt like they intentionally set up your character to have as vague a background as possible so you could come up with whatever you want in your head.

EDIT: My advice for melee is don't go pure melee because it will drive you crazy with all the turrets that show up. Mix melee with explosives for a good time. You can still sell all the ammo you pick up and put most of your cash towards crafting grenades so you can blow anything you can't punch to death up.

I'm not sure how you'd deal with alpha deathclaws as a melee character otherwise since they can just insta-gib you with a grab.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Boogaleeboo posted:

I played through Alpha Protocol recently, and I really have no idea why people say this about the conversations. Its the same 4 options, only with a time limit added. The only really neat thing I thought the game did was the amount of different permutations the missions could have based on your conversations with others, but I only knew about it from reading a wiki, because it's only something you notice if you're playing through 2 or 3 times. I thought it was a very mediocre game, through and through.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

drugs and booze are fuckin' good as hell in this game

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Jet is a huuuuuuge OH poo poo button. Legendary super mutant all up in your poo poo? Pop a Jet, equip your highest-DPS weapon, and point blank headshot that motherfucker 500 times before he can blink. Or dodge missiles/grenades/moltovs. That poo poo is amazing.

This game sort of ruins the whole "addictions are terrible" thing from earlier games by just letting you use Addictol or get perks that make you 100% unable to become chem addicted. On the other hand, the only reason the ghoul that makes your Silver Shroud armor is alive is because I popped Buffjet and ran up to his executioners face and ripped it off before he could fire. I guess that sort of exemplifies what this game is about though, gameplay is tons of fun while lore and story and stuff are sort of set to the wayside. Even though I'd say this is a better world than Bethesda have made in years.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

So I drafted a list of interesting mods available for the moment! Most of these are mine, but I'll note where they are not. Also let me know if I'm being annoying and I'll shut up until I release a new mod, or a modding thread is created. That being said, endorse after you download please so I can get that sweet sweet e-cred (kidding. Mostly).

Customize Carry Weight: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/214/
If you are annoyed by carry weight in the game and inventory management, this comes with a number of options to set your carry weight higher (or lower, if you're insane lol). That being said, it's easier to just use the following console command. Press the ~ key (on an english keyboard) and type the following without quotes: "player.modav carryweight 1000" - this will increase your carry weight by a thousand, and of course you can change that number into anything you want. You can also use negative numbers to take that away, so if you wanted to go back to default you would just type "player.modav carryweight -1000"

Create Your Own Survival Damage Rebalance: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/
This only applies for survival difficulty, because the settings altered only exist for survival. This comes with a host of different options that let you change how much damage you deal and how much damage you take. The mod page on the nexus should explain the various options and how you use them. I like this a lot because on survival healing is slower and the enemy has better AI and resistances, but without the silly default setting where you deal half damage and take double damage.

Easy Lockpicking: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/227
Seriously gently caress lockpicking. No options to choose from here, or console command alternatives. Just take the .esp and plop it in your data folder, and you can just open every lock so long as you have the perk for it. No matter where your pick is, you can turn it at any time and have it open.

Legendary Enemy Spawning: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/218/
Legendary Enemies are cool and fun and have rad weapons and armour. This mod lets you increase the number of legendary enemies. By default as you change difficulties the amount of legendary enemies goes up - this mod lets you choose the rate at which legendary enemies spawn regardless of difficulty. Optionally, it lets you increase the spawn rate of legendary enemies past what is available by default. I play with 5x the spawn rate of normal difficulty, by default the max rate is 3x normal difficulty while playing on pOWER

Power Armour Drain: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/225/
This mod eliminates the fusion core mechanic - you still need one to activate a suit of power armour, but it doesn't drain at all anymore. Similarly, jetpack use is unlimited as well. If you want to still have the fusion core drain but at a smaller rate, use this mod by RAWberry400 instead: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/325/

No Fall Damage: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/264/
Exactly what it says on the tin. It gets rid of fall damage. Really nothing more to say about this one lol.

Lowered Sprint AP Drain by grasmann: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/208/
Again, exactly what it says on the tin. I found it really annoying that I basically couldn't run anywhere, for fear that my AP bar would be empty when I ran into enemies. This mod lets you customize the rate at which your AP drains while sprinting, and optionally eliminate AP drain while sprinting altogether.

Pipboy Shadows by McGuffin: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/281/
A visual mod! This one makes it so your pipboy light can create shadows. Pretty cool!
Follow this video to start off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-VZAumD-o

Easy Hacking: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/266/
This makes it so that there's a maximum of one word while hacking, which makes it so you essentially always succeed.

These are all .esp mods, which means they are plugins. Since there are no good mod managers yet, follow the following two videos to install modifications.

This video to enable mods:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-VZAumD-o

And then this one for the installation process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZpIQ6P38xE

Additionally, I have instructions on the main page for all my mods. Just remember to right click Fallout4Prefs.ini and Plugins.txt and set them to read only just in case.

Thanks for these, been rocking the survival legendary spawning one on normal and it made the game more challenging without making me sink 200 caps worth of bullets into every fight.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So I just found the Atom Cats Garage, and a.) those cats are cool man, cool and b.) they sell power armor bits and pieces, including custom painted T-60. Plus, you can steal at least two suits of the stuff, and get another three or so if you just wipe them all out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gently caress you cait helping those sailor robots with their dumbass plan was amazing

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

I played through Alpha Protocol recently, and I really have no idea why people say this about the conversations. Its the same 4 options, only with a time limit added. The only really neat thing I thought the game did was the amount of different permutations the missions could have based on your conversations with others, but I only knew about it from reading a wiki, because it's only something you notice if you're playing through 2 or 3 times. I thought it was a very mediocre game, through and through.

Lookit this wrong rear end opinion. Alpha Protocol owns.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
but no seriously, how do they have such a killer lighting system on the character models, and just zero shadows. is it a bug? will there be a shadows dlc? I don't know but it's weird.

like look at the shadows on my back when I move just a couple feet. it's awesome. shadows would make it so much better

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

evilmiera posted:

This game sort of ruins the whole "addictions are terrible" thing from earlier games by just letting you use Addictol or get perks that make you 100% unable to become chem addicted. On the other hand, the only reason the ghoul that makes your Silver Shroud armor is alive is because I popped Buffjet and ran up to his executioners face and ripped it off before he could fire. I guess that sort of exemplifies what this game is about though, gameplay is tons of fun while lore and story and stuff are sort of set to the wayside. Even though I'd say this is a better world than Bethesda have made in years.

Fallout 3 made addictions a joke anyways, and New Vegas didn't try to make them any more hindering. They are so trivial to get rid of I'm not even sure why they still exist. It'd make more sense if being addicted to a drug also gave you better effects when using them, so being an addict is a character choice rather than just a penalty you get rid of ASAP.

I don't recall exactly how Fallout 1/2 did it, but I think being an addict there was so god awful it was never worth it to touch drugs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what the gently caress does cait even like beyond you getting wasted?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Phenotype posted:

Its the same 4 options, only with a time limit added.

Yes, it is in fact literally the same 3 options with an occasional 4th wildcard or exit option. And they are designed around 3 types of spies; Jack Bauer, Jason Bourne, and James Bond. Every single option is going to be Aggressive, Professional, or Suave. And it doesn't matter, because it fits the game it was designed around. Those options give you the experience of being that type of spy, which is sort of the point of role playing. Feeling like you are a certain type of character. And you could get wildly different endings and paths by changing things up, which is the point of giving the player choices. Making the things they do feel like they matter. The game had a massive amount of flaws, but not a single one of them was based around only having 4 dialogue choices.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So I understand that the settler limit is CHA + some modifier, is that settlers-you-can-attract-per-settlement or settlers-you-can-attract-period? I just retook The Castle and it's just big enough that I'm compelled to at least sorta build it up. That requires shuffling settlers from Sanctuary there (which they seemingly take their time getting there!).

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Noyemi K posted:

The Snatcher thing, while kind of dumb, is pretty cool IMO because I wear my love of Snatcher on my sleeve.
Are there any Snatcher/Blade Runner gags in the game, like the guy (Gibson?) with his head twisted off and the model house safe in Fallout 3? I heard that That Gun/5.56mm pistols aren't in FO4, but I'm sure someone will find a way use the assets from New Vegas to mod it in.

Speaking of special setpieces, I'm guessing there's loads of those, like in FO3 with the toilet plunger hoarder, or the failed motorcycle stunt, or the numerous toaster-in-bathtub suicide skeletons. How do the weird scenes fare in FO4?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

http://gfycat.com/CanineHastyAkitainu

One of many reasons why the jetpack is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Fallout 3 made addictions a joke anyways, and New Vegas didn't try to make them any more hindering. They are so trivial to get rid of I'm not even sure why they still exist. It'd make more sense if being addicted to a drug also gave you better effects when using them, so being an addict is a character choice rather than just a penalty you get rid of ASAP.

I don't recall exactly how Fallout 1/2 did it, but I think being an addict there was so god awful it was never worth it to touch drugs.

Pretty much. You could get traits and I think one or two perks and some stats helped you have less chances of becoming addicted but it was still a worry, albeit a small one. But it was sort of fitting with the whole "drugs are bad, mkay" thing going on in those games. You kept being reminded in text how you'd REALLY like some Jet right now, you had a reminder on the side of the screen that you were an addict and suffering withdrawal, it really hammered home just how terrible it was to be addicted to poo poo and why the junkies you found in towns were the way they were.

In the later games it sort of became a "pay some caps to get rid of this" thing.

Edit: I guess in 2 there was a longwinded quest to get rid of Jet addiction, as I recall. I don't know if there were some kind of doctors that helped cure other addictions too. But I'm not sure.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 15, 2015

• Locked thread