Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah but they did it a million times. I'm pissed they bothered implementing remote play on ps4 with it, rather than find a solution using tablets.

With what would you control a PS game on a tablet? The Vita is only missing the shoulder triggers. Using tablets as a mobile display while still using the DS4 controller is the best I can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mycot posted:

It also really kills me that, in an age where people have become so confident about finding reveals weeks or months ahead of time, CLOUD STRIFE IN SMASH was kept in total hush hush secrecy.

I like to imagine that this is because Cloud was so unbelievable before they actually did it that nobody could leak it. Cloud was one of the characters people wheeled out to make exaggerated predictions, he was perhaps only second to Goku in that regard. Anybody actually leaking that would be accused of faking it by pretty much everyone, pretty much immediately.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I like to think fighting Devastator and Menasor at the same time in Transformers: Devastation is a troll. Because why else would Platinum want you to fight two giant robots who specialize in loving up your camera while killing you in a single combo?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mycot posted:

It wouldn't be as funny if almost the entire rest of the Smash 4 cast wasn't leaked ahead of time though.

Which Nintendo flipped out about. Supposedly at least one of the major leaks was tracked down, fired, and sued into oblivion.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is it a troll that Bethesda made the main character in FO4 straight and married? Because that seems to be irking people because it puts too much plot in their sandbox rpg.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Len posted:

Is it a troll that Bethesda made the main character in FO4 straight and married? Because that seems to be irking people because it puts too much plot in their sandbox rpg.

bhlaab posted:

The back story of Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas are incredibly general and based on circumstance. In the tradition of pen & paper rpgs you are a clean slate of a person thrown into a situation by an inciting incident and free to make up your mind about the specifics of your past and personality.

In Fallout 1 you are from a vault. You might have friends and family, you might not. You might be very young or very old. There are no details about what your life was like before being sent to find a water chip. You can pretend you were a maintenance man or a nurse or anything in between if that sort of roleplaying floats your boat. You might enjoy being a vault dweller, or you might wish to be free. Maybe you volunteered to go find a water chip, maybe you were forced to, maybe you're too unintelligent to even understand the mission. You can immediately decide you don't care about the vault or the super mutants and just piss about. You won't get an ending that way, but the game never contradicts this possibility. You can even sell out your vault and join the mutants.

In Fallout 2 you are a tribal. You are the descendant of the main character from Fallout 1, and you are called "The Chosen One" and sent to find a geck. Again, the details of your personal life and feelings are completely up to you, and you can ignore your quest. Just because other people tell you that you are the chosen one doesn't mean your character necessarily believes it.

In New Vegas they went to even greater lengths to maintain vagueness. You're just some courier who took a job. You could be anybody or from anywhere-- your pick. At many points in the game NPCs will ask you why you are looking for Benny and the game pointedly offers a list of motivations and allows you to choose between things like revenge, information, getting the chip back to finish your delivery... or you can just not care about Benny or the chip. There is one DLC that adds something specific to your character's backstory: that you had a previous job to deliver something. Even that doesn't sit right with me, but it's one minor mark against it in a DLC.

Fallout 3 is a little more specific but still somewhat acceptable. Like Fallout 1 you are a vault dweller, but this time you are very specifically eighteen years old. The circumstances of your birth and family life are set in stone: You definitely have a father and you definitely don't have a mother. That being said, it is up to you whether or not you hate your Dad, even if it isn't reflected by the game perfectly. For example, on your 10th birthday you can shoot him in the head with a BB gun until he passes out and he doesn't seem to care. He will scold you for detonating a nuclear bomb in the middle of a town, but he still trusts you with saving the wasteland with a water purification scheme that doesn't make any sense. The game is clearly built around the idea that you love the Dad character, but it does acquiesce to you in small doses if you really push the idea that you do not. And you can just refuse to care about him and never bother to save him from Vault 112, like in the previous games, although it's sometimes difficult within dialogue choices to avoid the fact that the game intends you play along with its story (instead of the other way around).

Fallout 4 tosses all of the above out the window within the first 20 minutes. The game literally opens with the male character personally filling you in on what he's all about. Specific information inside the game states the following: You are either a married man or woman within the right age to have a relatively newborn baby. You are definitely not homosexual. You are definitely upper-middle class and come from a nice suburb. If you are the husband you've served in the military. If you are a woman you have a degree in law. You have a baby. The baby is definitely named Shaun. You definitely love this baby. You definitely love your spouse. You definitely mourn your spouse once he or she is dead. You very specifically state "I'm going to find my son". You definitely care about finding your son. Whether you hate newspapers or support news, however.... that much is up to you~

It's a reasonable complaint.

(edit)

vvv Lol dude the FO4 thread is like a thousand pages long and it's been out less than a week.

13Pandora13 has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Nov 15, 2015

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Len posted:

There is no one in the world who sincerely gives a poo poo about the plot to a Bethesda game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

13Pandora13 posted:

It's a reasonable complaint.

I've been saying this stuff since before the game came out, but this guy's put it way better than I have. Probably because he's actually played the game instead of not buying it because of this exact problem.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

vvv Lol dude the FO4 thread is like a thousand pages long and it's been out less than a week.

I'm sure all 40000 of those posts are about the plot of the game. (there is a 0% chance of this, no one has ever played a bethesda rpg without skipping all the dialogue after an hour)

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cleretic posted:

I've been saying this stuff since before the game came out, but this guy's put it way better than I have. Probably because he's actually played the game instead of not buying it because of this exact problem.

I'm already back to New Vegas. Maybe if, in a couple of years, there's modding that basically overhauls the dialog from the ground up I'll go back but whelp.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
New Vegas did a cool thing where your skills gave you some starting gear. If you were good at melee combat, you got a melee starting weapon, because your character is the Courier and reasonably good at whatever poo poo they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Is that law degree thing Int-independent? Because I would love to play a 1-int lady who uses a greathammer to solve literally all of her problems and can't string two words together but totally had a law degree you guys.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Nov 15, 2015

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Somfin posted:

uses a greathammer to solve literally all of her problems

I believe it's called a "Gavel"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Evilreaver posted:

I believe it's called a "Gavel"

Only if you're a robe-person. The shouty one.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Somfin posted:

New Vegas did a cool thing where your skills gave you some starting gear. If you were good at melee combat, you got a melee starting weapon, because your character is the Courier and reasonably good at whatever poo poo they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Is that law degree thing Int-independent? Because I would love to play a 1-int lady who uses a greathammer to solve literally all of her problems and can't string two words together but totally had a law degree you guys.
According to someone in dragging games down:

kazil posted:

In Fallout 4 if you play as the wife, and set your intelligence to literally the lowest possible setting, you still have a law degree.

Dunno if that's Bethesda being dumb or brilliant though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm already back to New Vegas. Maybe if, in a couple of years, there's modding that basically overhauls the dialog from the ground up I'll go back but whelp.

The Nexus has both already got a same-sex marriage save setup and a mod to remove all the player character's voiced lines. And that's without the mod tools. So that's the silver lining to me in all this; the people with the know-how to actually solve this problem also have the eye to see it and the willingness to do it.

It seems that this specific choice is the one most biting Bethesda in the rear end, though. I'd be interested to see both their justification and response, even if it takes them until their next game to make it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Their response and their justification will be "this game hasn't been a free form RPG for 17 years and no matter what we do, you grognards are still going to complain and we're still going to sell fifty ho-jillion copies"

The days of publishers letting this sort of game come out without focus-grouping it to death and making sure it has the biggest mass appeal as possible are long gone. In this case, it means having a solid story and locking you into it to a greater degree than previously.

I personally don't see it as a problem and certainly not as a troll. I played both of the original games basically the day they came out, until I had wrung out every ounce of enjoyment they had to offer. I'll play this one in a few months and a few bug patches' time (but apparently it's not as bad as past releases for this) but I know I'm not getting a "real" Fallout experience in 2015 no matter how much I wanted one.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I think my complaint is that it puts exactly the worst amount of plot into it. We don't have, like, Shepard or similar, who's an actual character I can get behind, we've got an almost blank slate, but with just enough characterization applied to stop me from quite playing the character I want to play.

It's a pretty tiny annoyance for me, but it's still an annoyance.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Lol if you roleplay in a videogame about slave vegetable farming and dog micromanagement

Just lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ArcMage posted:

I think my complaint is that it puts exactly the worst amount of plot into it. We don't have, like, Shepard or similar, who's an actual character I can get behind, we've got an almost blank slate, but with just enough characterization applied to stop me from quite playing the character I want to play.

Yeah this is kind of nagging at me. Not very long after you leave the vault you become an almost blank slate, but before that they give you a lot of history and there's just enough connection to that history to make it weird whenever it comes up in a conversation. Then stuff like the 1-intelligence idiot with a law degree, etc.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Somfin posted:

Only if you're a robe-person. The shouty one.

The Graybeards aren't in Fallout 4.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Yeah this is kind of nagging at me. Not very long after you leave the vault you become an almost blank slate, but before that they give you a lot of history and there's just enough connection to that history to make it weird whenever it comes up in a conversation. Then stuff like the 1-intelligence idiot with a law degree, etc.

They also took out the same-sex romance perks, so men are locked into Lady Killer and women are locked into Black Widow. It's too bad, really.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
EDIT: ^^ In fairness, Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez La Femme were not included by Bethesda, they were done by Obsidian in New Vegas. It's still a great idea they should've borrowed, though, and I want to say there were ways to initiate gay old times and/or lesbionics in the games before that. And of course, Skyrim had entirely gender-irrelevant marriages.

ArcMage posted:

Actually, it's pretty much the exact possible anti-Shepard. While Shepard's a pretty defined character in the actual games, with a very specific list of objectives, we choose the actual personal history that led to them being in that position. Shepard will always be a militaristic badass, but it's up to you whether that's because of a military family raising them and being the sole survivor of an operation gone wrong, or because they're an orphan who joined the military to be a horrifying stone-cold killer. Your choice has minor in-game effects, but mostly it just helps to inform what sort of person the character might be in your hands. You can very easily ignore it, and in fact I have no idea what backstories I chose because it has so very little impact.

Fallout 4's protagonist has a VERY rigidly-defined pre-game story. Like was said: Married, straight, pre-war parent in a specific age and probably income bracket, that lives in the suburbs, and was either in the military or has a law degree depending on your gender. Even if the game does go 'but you know, whatever, do what you want' after the first half-hour, that leaves a MASSIVE print that, yes, you'll never be able to completely shake off.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 07:48 on Nov 15, 2015

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: ^^ In fairness, Confirmed Bachelor and Cherchez La Femme were not included by Bethesda, they were done by Obsidian in New Vegas. It's still a great idea they should've borrowed, though, and I want to say there were ways to initiate gay old times and/or lesbionics in the games before that. And of course, Skyrim had entirely gender-irrelevant marriages.

Actually, it's pretty much the exact possible anti-Shepard. While Shepard's a pretty defined character in the actual games, with a very specific list of objectives, we choose the actual personal history that led to them being in that position. Shepard will always be a militaristic badass, but it's up to you whether that's because of a military family raising them and being the sole survivor of an operation gone wrong, or because they're an orphan who joined the military to be a horrifying stone-cold killer. Your choice has minor in-game effects, but mostly it just helps to inform what sort of person the character might be in your hands. You can very easily ignore it, and in fact I have no idea what backstories I chose because it has so very little impact.

Fallout 4's protagonist has a VERY rigidly-defined pre-game story. Like was said: Married, straight, pre-war parent in a specific age and probably income bracket, that lives in the suburbs, and was either in the military or has a law degree depending on your gender. Even if the game does go 'but you know, whatever, do what you want' after the first half-hour, that leaves a MASSIVE print that, yes, you'll never be able to completely shake off.

This is far more words than the subject warrants.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Please stop talking about how the plot to games trolls the players, in the PYF Trolls From Game Developers thread.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Lady Naga posted:

Please stop talking about how the plot to games trolls the players, in the PYF Trolls From Game Developers thread.

In all fairness, I don't think Bethesda was deliberately messing with players by making the protag straight. If this was the stuff dragging games down thread, I'd say have at it, but this is for games designed to piss you off.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe the character is just bi

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You'll spend so much of your playtime digging through literal trash that you won't even notice your sexuality!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My dude character had the option to flirt with that minute man guy though. I didn't do it because that's guys annoying as hell telling me how amazing and selfless I am every few minutes. Back off man!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Yeah Bro posted:

Sorry the game's plot raped and murdered your parents enough to make you have to point out how terrible it is whenever anyone else cares about it, instead of just you know, not caring about those posts.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yeah Bro posted:

Hey. Bud. We get it. It's ok

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

X: HATE GAY

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Alaois posted:

maybe the character is just bi

they are, you can romance most of the humanoid companions regardless of gender and you can romance them even if you've romanced someone else already.

The start is a bit rigid but it's not a big deal.

The only "troll" in that part is the fact that you get to play around in character creation for both, and if you're a certain kind of person you may spend an hour or two making both characters look perfect only for one of them to die 10 minutes into the game.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

they are, you can romance most of the humanoid companions regardless of gender and you can romance them even if you've romanced someone else already.

So, the Saints Row IV model. Glad to know that concretely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

graybook posted:

Well you know Bethesda games always have actual impact from the player on the world allowing them to forge a name for themselves in ways that aren't predetermined based on the quests you do.

Oh wait no they don't.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the gently caress up. You're telling me that people on the internet were bitching about nothing!!!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Atasnaya Vaflja posted:

The only "troll" in that part is the fact that you get to play around in character creation for both, and if you're a certain kind of person you may spend an hour or two making both characters look perfect only for one of them to die 10 minutes into the game.
So this kind of person will feel the pain of the character dying the most, making the experience the most genuine for them. A true victory in organic storytelling?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I was pretty bummed when I spent 3 hours making my ewife the prettiest ever only for her to be completely irrelevant to the game.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pneub posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the gently caress up. You're telling me that people on the internet were bitching about nothing!!!

Anyone who cares about insanely ham-fisted video game romance is probably creepy as gently caress IRL.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

I was pretty bummed when I spent 3 hours making my ewife the prettiest ever only for her to be completely irrelevant to the game.

To be fair thats the same for every single bethesda game ever. Spend hours so you can sometimes look at a shittily animated version of yourself in third person sometimes.

I don't know why people give a poo poo about character designers, never had any appeal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

graybook posted:

You have to actually impress the companion first but basically, yeah. It's awesome.

Agent355 posted:

To be fair thats the same for every single bethesda game ever. Spend hours so you can sometimes look at a shittily animated version of yourself in third person sometimes.

I don't know why people give a poo poo about character designers, never had any appeal to me.

They're fun to play around with in the moment, for me. I like to see what I can make but it's more a neat creative tool than an obsessive mirror simulator for a lot of people.

For example:

(Not mine)

• Locked thread