Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Libluini posted:

It's even stupider because neutron bombs exist. If those ever get used, they'll destroy mostly people and technical infrastructure, but the radiation is supposed to be back to almost normal after about 30 years. I guess if WWIII ever happens, the survivors fleeing from a American continent devastated by Russian dirty bombs can just repopulate neutron-bombed Russia. The ultimate defeat: The enemy is not only destroyed, but you end up replacing him totally. USR victory!

Hey that 30 year thing is mostly if you give a poo poo about vastly increased cancer rates and potential infertility. Given that apparently we're getting dirty bombed with cobalt-60, I'd deffo rather move over into the still-standing-but-eradicated-of-life Russian cities we hit with the neutron bombs rather than hang out in our irradiated hellscape or try to fend for myself for 30 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought neutron bombs were a purely theoretical thing?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

No, they are easy to make, just rear end to maintain. They are very maintenance-intensive, and thus, I guess, not too popular to make even when making nukes was the thing. U.S. had them on Cold War missile defences, I think.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
They were also supposed to, originally, make it so the resources would be safe to work around within like a year, hopefully even months, but it turns out the radiation they cause lingers much longer. Making it so they don't really have any sort of short term strategic use. And since people can't safely get into the target areas to perform necessary maintenance of the infrastructure you were hoping to have, most of it's going to be weathered as hell or even collapsed by the time you can.

So if you're going to try to kill everyone in the target city, you might as well just use a regular nuke.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've just translated a post by Askai707 into English, another one of his open source investigations into the presence of Russian troops in Ukraine in 2014 - Artillerymen of Russia’s 136th Motorized Infantry Brigade in the Donbass. Like his earlier on Russia’s 6th Tank Brigade in Ukraine it's a really excellent combination of sources that presents clear evidence of Russian troops in Ukraine, from their own soldiers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Brown Moses posted:

We've just translated a post by Askai707 into English, another one of his open source investigations into the presence of Russian troops in Ukraine in 2014 - Artillerymen of Russia’s 136th Motorized Infantry Brigade in the Donbass. Like his earlier on Russia’s 6th Tank Brigade in Ukraine it's a really excellent combination of sources that presents clear evidence of Russian troops in Ukraine, from their own soldiers.

Volunteers

On a more serious note, This seems like a pretty significant upgrade from just SF Troops parading around

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 13, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
RFE ran a piece about far right militias opening camps for kids:

http://www.rferl.org/media/video/ukraine-azov-regiment-military/27355932.html

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Poland is not taking the refugees we agreed to after all and Schengen is probably dead in the water. Such is life.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cliff Racer posted:

Neutron bombs are somewhat theoretically sound but have never really been tested. It's cobalt bombs that are the work of sci-fi and would be less dangerous than the current bombs that use depleted uranium as a tamper.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

A Pale Horse posted:

Poland is not taking the refugees we agreed to after all and Schengen is probably dead in the water. Such is life.

I think this is a bit premature. Schengen is in the interest of most European countries and I think that's not where the main issue lies. The problem is radical Islam in the Middle-East coupled with the fact that Western-European countries have created a permanent underclass of non-integrated, non-assimilated people, which is of course a fertile ground for all sorts of violence and misery.

The smart thing to do would be to cut off the financing to extremists in Europe, which is mainly coming from oil-rich countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran. Then crack down hard on those extremists while simultaneously investing in a wide range of counter-extremism initiatives and thinking very hard about every step we take in the Middle-East.

But I'm guessing we're just going to bomb some goat herders and weddings and create a few hundred thousand people more who want to see our entire continent burn.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OhYeah posted:

I think this is a bit premature. Schengen is in the interest of most European countries and I think that's not where the main issue lies. The problem is radical Islam in the Middle-East coupled with the fact that Western-European countries have created a permanent underclass of non-integrated, non-assimilated people, which is of course a fertile ground for all sorts of violence and misery.

The smart thing to do would be to cut off the financing to extremists in Europe, which is mainly coming from oil-rich countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran. Then crack down hard on those extremists while simultaneously investing in a wide range of counter-extremism initiatives and thinking very hard about every step we take in the Middle-East.

But I'm guessing we're just going to bomb some goat herders and weddings and create a few hundred thousand people more who want to see our entire continent burn.

Why aren't you posting in the Paris thread?

It is because you are a sensible person, isn't it?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why aren't you posting in the Paris thread?

It is because you are a sensible person, isn't it?

If you mean the GBS thread, then you've answered your own question. But in any case, even a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day... the architecture and china.jpg threads are pretty okay there. :)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OhYeah posted:

If you mean the GBS thread, then you've answered your own question. But in any case, even a stopped clock shows the correct time twice a day... the architecture and china.jpg threads are pretty okay there. :)
There is a D&D thread about yesterday's shooting too.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751370

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The D&D thread descended into rumor/fear/poo poo mongering pretty quickly after I went to sleep last night.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dodoman posted:

The D&D thread descended into rumor/fear/poo poo mongering pretty quickly after I went to sleep last night.
Yeah it's garbage, similarly to the CH one from what I've heard.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Hey can anyone translate this for me? Someone I know from Montenegro keeps posting it everywhere.

I'm assuming it's the typical Serbian whiny bullshit that they do whenever anyone gets upset about an attack when nobody got upset at the fact that they were getting bombed when they were led by literal fascists to try to ethnically cleans not one but two places within a single decade.

And then they all went to downtown Belgrade and stoned the McDonalds like babies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Kindly go gently caress yourself, NomChompsky, GBS is that-a-way,

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

It would still be nice to see a translation of this shameless self pitying propaganda, thanks.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

NomChompsky posted:

It would still be nice to see a translation of this shameless self pitying propaganda, thanks.

But the shameless propaganda was already in English?

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

But the shameless propaganda was already in English?

Oh boy!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

NomChompsky posted:

Hey can anyone translate this for me? Someone I know from Montenegro keeps posting it everywhere.

I'm assuming it's the typical Serbian whiny bullshit that they do whenever anyone gets upset about an attack when nobody got upset at the fact that they were getting bombed when they were led by literal fascists to try to ethnically cleans not one but two places within a single decade.

And then they all went to downtown Belgrade and stoned the McDonalds like babies.

You know what they say: When you assume something, gently caress you.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Ironically someone from GBS already half confirmed my suspicions! LOL!!!!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

NomChompsky posted:

Ironically someone from GBS already half confirmed my suspicions! LOL!!!!

You say that as if you didn't have those suspicions confirmed in your head before you asked the question. The only thing confirmed by your post is your lack of understanding of the issue at hand and your ability to use thinly-veiled racism to make a political point.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

"Dok su padale NATO bombe devedesetih, dok su šiptari palili naše svetinje, dok su đihadisti sjekli glave Srbima na Ozrenu tokom rata u BiH itd. Francuzi nisu pisali "Pray for Serbia", već su slali svoje avione i ubijali tvoj narod, razapali i otimali tvoju zemlju glupa medijska izmanipulisana maso!!!"

While the NATO bombs were falling in the nineties, while shiptars were burning our sanctities, while jihadists were cutting Serb heads on Ozren during the war in Bosnia etc. The French didn't write "Pray for Serbia", but they sent their planes and killed your people, looting and taking your land you stupid media manipulated mass!!!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Disco Infiva posted:

"Dok su padale NATO bombe devedesetih, dok su šiptari palili naše svetinje, dok su đihadisti sjekli glave Srbima na Ozrenu tokom rata u BiH itd. Francuzi nisu pisali "Pray for Serbia", već su slali svoje avione i ubijali tvoj narod, razapali i otimali tvoju zemlju glupa medijska izmanipulisana maso!!!"

While the NATO bombs were falling in the nineties, while shiptars were burning our sanctities, while jihadists were cutting Serb heads on Ozren during the war in Bosnia etc. The French didn't write "Pray for Serbia", but they sent their planes and killed your people, looting and taking your land you stupid media manipulated mass!!!

:goonsay:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Disco Infiva posted:

lmao I hope the Balkan people never become civilised

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Disco Infiva posted:

Shiptar is Albanian right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

Neutron bombs are somewhat theoretically sound but have never really been tested. It's cobalt bombs that are the work of sci-fi and would be less dangerous than the current bombs that use depleted uranium as a tamper.

No this is completely wrong what is wrong with you? This is one of those cases where one second on Wikipedia could have told you the US build 700 of those things before dismantling them again during the Clinton and Bush years 1996 - 2003.

But even France and China tested them. As said, they're easy to make, but hard to maintain.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In actual news, at least 4 Serbian citizens were injured in the attacks in Paris. Serbia reacted more-less the same way as most of the rest of Europe - condemning the attack, lowering flags to half height, saying condolences to France, projecting the tricolor on major national landmarks, and offering help regarding this attack to the French government. One of the attackers was recorded entering Serbia (among the 490,000 other people who registered as refugees since the start of the crisis), their personal information was taken by our authorities, and it's been provided to the French authorities along with info about possible associaties etc. There was quite a line of people signing themselves in the book of grief (don't know how else to translate it) at the French embassy, and a general feeling of shock at this horrible massacre.

The official statement of our government regarding measures taken is that we're increasing security, but we're not going to close any border or take any measures that make things more difficult for refugees. Also, our minister of police made a statement that the state will take the harshest measures possible against anyone who attacks Muslims, mosques, or refugees. The actual security measures taken are laughable of course, since our government isn't particularly competent, but no incident occurred so far, thank God.

The funny thing is, I probably would have posted that FB rant itt had I seen it first, with "lol look at this loving idiot" as a comment, but nooo, someone had to show up and start soapboxing about it in the shittiest way possible and

Baracula posted:

Oh go gently caress yourself with a rake, you racist vulture.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Baracula posted:

Right. This is the type of comment unique for the Balkans and could never be found on a FB post or in a comments section of a web site in your country, wherever that is. :rolleyes:

Swan Oat posted:

Shiptar is Albanian right?

Yes. It's considered derogatory even though it's the word Albanians use for themselves.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yes. It's considered derogatory even though it's the word Albanians use for themselves.
Balkans, never change. One had to wonder how their chosen name has become an insult.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
That's not that weird, polack is (or was, I guess it's kind of old-timey in the 21st century) derogatory in English even though it's also the Polish word for a Polish man, albeit spelled differently.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I just find it somewhat odd to use their own name for themselves, since in Latvia, for example, often their Latvian name is used, just with a different intonation, when Russians are insulted. I bring Russians as an example just because there's slang for most other races/nationalities/ethnicities that Latvian bigots tend to squabble about, whereas for Russians there's only a specific word to describe a young, primarily Russian-speaking thug.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Baracula posted:

I hope you never reproduce you racist gently caress.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Chill, no need to ethnically cleanse me over it

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Hmm I haven't checked EE in a while, lets see the latest Poland politics.

Oh.

This again.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Baracula posted:

Chill, no need to ethnically cleanse me over it

Agree to disagree.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

You say that as if you didn't have those suspicions confirmed in your head before you asked the question. The only thing confirmed by your post is your lack of understanding of the issue at hand and your ability to use thinly-veiled racism to make a political point.

Any criticism of Serbian self-pity after the 90's invariably is hand-waved as racism or imperialism, and it's boring. You'd all get along really well at a cocktail party with Lost Cause American southerners.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

NomChompsky posted:

You'd all get along really well at a cocktail party with Lost Cause American southerners.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=33Iugpfph4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Libluini posted:

No this is completely wrong what is wrong with you? This is one of those cases where one second on Wikipedia could have told you the US build 700 of those things before dismantling them again during the Clinton and Bush years 1996 - 2003.

But even France and China tested them. As said, they're easy to make, but hard to maintain.

I should have qualified that a bit; they've been built but never properly tested (they were developed after bans on open-air testing, and underground testing gives you nowhere near the same level of detail and information) but there are a lot of unknowns about how they'd perform in a real situation and they very likely aren't anywhere close to as effective as claimed at killing people but not damaging inftrastructure. They would release more radiation, but the radiation to blast ratio over normal thermonuclear weapons would be nowhere near as high as parroted by people on the internet or by Clancies or sci-fi authors. That is, if you drop one in a city center you're still going to destroy a huge chunk of the city even if a few more people may die from the radiation burst. You're not going to be left with intact cities devoid of people with no contamination, not even close.

I mean I don't make nuclear weapons but I am a nuclear engineer and I don't see the thing working anywhere near as described in pop culture or in internet discussions or in fiction. They're not as lol as cobalt bombs though, which would definitely create less contamination and release less energy overall than the standard bombs that use depleted uranium as a tamper.

Edit: If you're going to quote wikipedia on me at least go to the english version of the article and scroll to the section where it says that one of the reasons for the US dismantling them is that they didn't think they'd be anywhere near as useful as first thought in an anti-tank role (the main reason they built them, to stop the Soviets from rolling through Germany) instead of cherry picking a language that has an incomplete version of the story. "Originally conceived by the U.S. military, their design goals were to stop massed Soviet armored divisions from overrunning allied nations without destroying the infrastructure of the allied nation. However, it was later found that they achieved poor results in both categories."

Edit 2: The english version's page even has a nice table showing that the predicted distribution of energy into blast, heat, instantaneous radiation, and long-term radiation aren't that impressive. Even the best estimates are "only" 50% of the energy going into heat and blast (which is a fuckoff big explosion still) instead of 85%

Edit 3: Lol reading the article shows that they're even more garbage than I thought; they have to be tiny in yield for the killzone of the radiation to be bigger than that of the blast at that point only small amounts of shielding will protect humans from that even close to ground zero. People really need to stop claiming these are viable weapons

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 15, 2015

• Locked thread