Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
How do I know you're not a narc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Was in the bay area two weeks ago visiting friends and family. Where was my free weed for being on terminal? I'm 2000 miles away now so gently caress it

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

How do I know you're not a narc?

https://www.scveteransalliance.com We run a legal medical cannabis collective for veterans and have two meetings a month at the local VFW in Capitola. All you need is your mmj recommendation, valid id and proof of service. Usually about 30-50 people show up. Also im pretty sure cops in Santa Cruz dont care about weed so why you scared bruh?

A Kpro posted:

Was in the bay area two weeks ago visiting friends and family. Where was my free weed for being on terminal? I'm 2000 miles away now so gently caress it

Should of hit me up man.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Sheriff Jake posted:

https://www.scveteransalliance.com We run a legal medical cannabis collective for veterans and have two meetings a month at the local VFW in Capitola. All you need is your mmj recommendation, valid id and proof of service. Usually about 30-50 people show up. Also im pretty sure cops in Santa Cruz dont care about weed so why you scared bruh?
I was just kidding, most of the jobs I'm looking at require I stay drug free, but it sounds like you're doing good work.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

invision posted:

Yep. Automatic SSgt after you finish ALS and have TIG/TIS requirements.

The way I like to describe it is:
CMSgt's are just... guard chiefs.... who the gently caress knows?
SMSgt's just do whatever.
MSgt's are what Techs should be, except way more paperwork, and no real responsibilites
Techs are what Staffs should be - they know their job pretty well, and manage pretty well.
Staffs are SrA, except with a troop or two Staffs are still in the bitch-ranks.
SrA is the chillest rank, by far. Outrank all of the other jr. e's, but you don't have ANY responsibilites. Not even the 'oh, he passed ALS, give him a troop!" thing that we did on AD.
A1C is shop bitch.
AMN is "jesus christ you hosed up, we all come in as an A1C"
slicksleeves don't exist.

e:to actually answer the question: Every slot is staff, minimum. So when you initially enlist as an A1C, you are put into a "staff" slot. You'll get auto-promoted to that staff slot per tig and tis, assuming you passed your CDC's and ALS, but you'll still be an A1C/whatever in a "staff" slot. There are no "Sra", "a1c", or "amn" slots.

chillingly accurate.

On another note my half assed officer packet was approved by NGB so here's hoping I charm my way past the Guards infamous "good ol boy" policy in choosing officers and luck into a slot

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 12, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Godholio posted:

AFPC is basically IT from Wool.

:stare:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CE had a squadron meeting to address a lot of the really negative stuff that came out on the climate survey. By address I mean their chief got up and told them that anyone who says there's a good old boys system is dead wrong, no argument. Then he got all defensive about how he got to where he is and seemed like he was about to start crying.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao. Our last superintendent spent all of their time talking to chiefs on the phone instead of working and surprise surprise, they magically passed the board on their first try. Our current SMSgt said they don't give a poo poo about making Chief and it's nice because they actually do things

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

By address I mean their chief got up and told them that anyone who says there's a good old boys system is dead wrong, no argument.

This is why nothing will change. It's the same on both the senior E and senior O sides

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

This is why nothing will change. It's the same on both the senior E and senior O sides
All the people who I talked to about it said the whole thing was basically telling them that their opinions will not be taken into account, and signalling that they wouldn't budge on a thing.

They've done some really poo poo over the years. Like delaying promotions until one of the good ol' boys was eligible, screwing over people who had been already. A firefighter got caught loving one of his female coworkers in Kuwait, got sent home, lost a stripe, and was moved to another shop. Shortly thereafter a tech slot opened back up in that shop so they gave it to him over the girl who had been working in there for years and hadn't ever been in real trouble. There's a rumor the chief sells off scrap copper sometimes and pockets the money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Some raging bitch out in the city nearly sideswiped a motorcyclist in uniform and wrote this ridiculous email to the base PA office talking about how she was sure she checked her mirrors and that she felt her life was threatened when the biker gave her the finger and yelled at her. She attached a picture of the guy from behind.

The Chief responded to the email by saying he tried to get the plates run until he discovered "legal issues" and asking all the commanders to start a witch hunt.

loving Air Force, man.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Pretty soon there's going to be climate surveys for climate surveys :q:

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
*works Airman on 6/1 12 hour shifts for months on end*

*is confused when everyone is really unhappy*

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
at least you get one day off

Friggen noner crybabies :jerkbag:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Back in my day, I pulled 3 dayshifts, then 3 nightshifts, and had 1 day off! And I loved every minute of it! --Every single Command Post, MX, Aeroport, etc person over E-7

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Things were bad for me so it's only fair that it's just as bad or worse for you. AIR FORCE HUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

We had an amazing 3 days on/ 2 off schedule for a while when I first got to britland. Then the techs and up who all worked normal office hours got it shut down due to "poor changeover between shifts".

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
To be fair no matter where Aircraft MX takes place civilian or military it sucks so much balls 12 to 14 hour shifts are just to common.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Greataval posted:

To be fair no matter where Aircraft MX takes place civilian or military it sucks so much balls 12 to 14 hour shifts are just to common.

You need to get assigned to a TIF unit, working with the Guard as an active duty is amazing. We have only 4 planes on average, work load is non exsistent, I get paid to study for promotion and work out, life is good and easy. I have been here for 6 months and have stayed past 4 once, I leave on average around 1515 and have yet to pull a weekend duty, I have only had two guys come in for 2 hours on a weekend one in that time and they got CTOs.

Only negatives are no TDYs to speak of and a desert deployment for four months once every year and a half.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm curious what taxpayers would say about the wasted funds flying-hour-programs cause.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dominoes posted:

I'm curious what taxpayers would say about the wasted funds flying-hour-programs cause.

Not enough wasted money in the grand scheme of things for anyone to give a poo poo.

Same reason why no one cares about the staggering amount of acquisitions malpractice and outright fraud in my little corner of the AF...at face value it's much worse than anything associated with the F-35 just from a stupidity level perspective, but no one in the media or Congress would give a poo poo because unlike the F-35's trillions we're only talking a couple billion over the lifecycle of the program, which is chump change by DoD standards.

You can get away with pretty much anything when it comes to FWA as long as you don't hit the dollar threshold where someone can get a Congresscritter or reporter to pay attention. The money that's actually wasted by the FHP construct comes nowhere near to that level.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Air Force has a terrible track record with the big amounts and like iyaayas said has no intent to address the medium amounts, which is why General Birth Control Glasses had to tell us to write in with our ideas for how to save money on thumbtacks and dry erase markers. Still, in the sense that the US government is a big engine that turns money into social welfare and defense spending, the FHP really isn't a huge deal. It's a huge deal from the squadron level where it incentivizes extremely poor decision-making by commanders and it's a huge deal for the group and wing levels, where it serves as a garbage metric for under-informed leadership, but moneywise, eh.

Plus, these planes have to fly because this whole defense thing is a giant show of force to convince other people that being a world-class power means shoveling money into a furnace as quickly as possible. If you think we can maintain an acceptable level of national defense without flying planes for the sake of flying planes then you may be right, but also who cares, we're America and our goal is to make enough money that we don't have to act like those old women with ziploc bags full of coupons at the cash register.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So had a meeting with the Commander...

Asked be a line IP and for all purposes, commander agreed. Going up to the Majors board as a line IP. I assume I'll be passed over.

Also found out I'm moving earlier than planned...said I have a 25% chance of going to Randolph, 75% chance of going back to Offutt. Emailed the functional to see what the latest and greatest is (and potential of switching over to KC-135s)

Time to wait and see!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 17, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I forget. What do you fly now?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

T-1s. UPT is the only place it is possible to be a line IP because we have 200+ flights a day.

In the RC, if you weren't deployed, you flew maybe 3x a month with 5 other pilots on board.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well if you get tankers, get used to offloading excess fuel on spineless awacs crews.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I have no problem with that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Of course you don't. They never do.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

xaarman posted:

T-1s. UPT is the only place it is possible to be a line IP because we have 200+ flights a day.

In the RC, if you weren't deployed, you flew maybe 3x a month with 5 other pilots on board.

I got family that just got a T-1 FAIP gig.

Wonder if you end up being his boss.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well if you get tankers, get used to offloading excess fuel on spineless awacs crews.

I would not get into a dick-measuring contest with an RC-135 guy about sortie duration. Also, it's not like extending your sorry asses was the pilot's decision.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Hahahaha well that answers that. I also inquired about homers I know I would never get (C-20/C-37s)

xaarman,

I talked to your commander.

Homers are very low probability due to 11M overmanning.

KCs are overmanned. You are an ACC asset, expect Offutt

V/R,
XXXXX

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wait, I thought 11M was undermanned after that ~400 person cut. What the hell is going on?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

What the hell is going on?

Air Force

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Godholio posted:

Wait, I thought 11M was undermanned after that ~400 person cut. What the hell is going on?

Yeah, I bet the KC-135 (and other 11Ms) would love to hear they are overmanned.

When I got here 3 years ago, they said expect to go back to Offutt... so everything is pretty much going as I was told.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 18, 2015

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Out of the guys in drone-land who were non-vol'd here from a real airplane, the 11Ms are the ones who have been consistently been told "lol yeah there's no way in hell you're going back, 11Ms are super overmanned right now."

I mean it's not like the other 11X folks are getting to leave in droves, but there have been a couple who have escaped because the manning in their home communities has gotten almost as bad as RPAs.

And it's been hilarious to watch the collective kick in the junk to those guys as the other guys who dropped Preds out of UPT leave to go to their "real" airplanes.

Also 11M has never been "undermanned," before or after the 400 person cut (which to be fair was mostly VSP iirc). They lowered the crew ratio from 3 to 2, voila, instantly overmanned career field

- Manpwr Exprt! Innovative mgmt elim'd 400+ manning slots in <1 yr, shattering HHQ 5 yr std--Promote Now!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah they can say what they want about crew ratios and manning levels but these squadrons are basically falling apart and the more people leave, the more people are going to want to leave

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

(which to be fair was mostly VSP iirc)

That doesn't change anything, just because they turned in a VSP package doesn't mean they get approved. Ask the 85% of ABMs who applied and got denied because the career field was undermanned (yet magically became overmanned without any changes).

iyaayas01 posted:

- Manpwr Exprt! Innovative mgmt elim'd 400+ manning slots in <1 yr, shattering HHQ 5 yr std--Promote Now!

That'd totally list a $ amount rather than slots. And that guy would be a future CSAF. Every few days I get more proud of my Wool IT comparison.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 18, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stolen from AI:

One of the first AC-130Js is already written off.

So, does this guy move to a desk until his ADSC is up then gets out, or does he get a DP and make O-6 in 4 years?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just did my final out today. What's up dick butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Stolen from AI:

One of the first AC-130Js is already written off.

So, does this guy move to a desk until his ADSC is up then gets out, or does he get a DP and make O-6 in 4 years?
Well, he might escape getting his rear end in a top hat reamed out and his wings confiscated because he was a test pilot flying a test profile, but when the AIB attributes an accident to pilot actions and bad judgement, it isn't good. I suspect the "desk until your ADSC is up, honorable separation" is the most likely, unless he knows a General.

• Locked thread