Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Why does every show have the friend who has a checkered past with hacking and can magically hack the~~NSA firewall~~ in like 2 minutes? I don't know if I feel right about this guys... *types 5 keys on an old laptop and magically breaks the encryption.* Cop shows are mostly guilty of this and Arrow does set up Felicity and the new fella to be actual experts that work with computers and tech, but it's just too cringe worthy sometimes and I know jack poo poo about computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Felicity's in the grave. Emily Bett Rickards has a small part in the movie Brooklyn so she's clearly going to go diva like Robbie Amell and think she's too big for genre TV.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

buddhanc posted:

Why does every show have the friend who has a checkered past with hacking and can magically hack the~~NSA firewall~~ in like 2 minutes? I don't know if I feel right about this guys... *types 5 keys on an old laptop and magically breaks the encryption.* Cop shows are mostly guilty of this and Arrow does set up Felicity and the new fella to be actual experts that work with computers and tech, but it's just too cringe worthy sometimes and I know jack poo poo about computers.

Because it's a internet super highway world and somebody has to hack those Gibsons.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

buddhanc posted:

Same reason people always have no signal when making a call on their cellphone would solve everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Warmachine posted:

You say this like it hasn't already happened.

That was a glove of opportunity, doesn't count. I want him to have one as a legit piece of his arsenal. Right next to the toilet plunger arrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh god drat it.

Chicago Fire and Chicago PD are two of the worst shows on the air right now. There is yet another one in the pipeline, Chicago MED debuting this week.

And Colin Donnel is on it so I am compelled to watch it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Valeyard posted:

I'm pretty sure he used the "dropping bodies" phrase a couple weeks back, obv not about Ollie though but still

Doesn't count

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

flosofl posted:

That was a glove of opportunity, doesn't count. I want him to have one as a legit piece of his arsenal. Right next to the toilet plunger arrow.

If he doesn't use a toilet plunger arrow on Dahrk to keep him from finishing a spell then this entire show and also network is a failure.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

buddhanc posted:

Because it is a fast, easy way to keep the plot moving forward. Notice how they most often use it as a way of research some clue or track a villain. They get something identifying, like a fingerprint or blood sample, and then the computer person hacks the FBI database, runs a crosscheck, and find-outs a bit of important information. There are other ways the characters could research the same information, but they would take up more screen time and don't really relate to the story being told. It's a writing shortcut that is tired and overused, but still serves a purpose.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I dont know posted:

Because it is a fast, easy way to keep the plot moving forward. Notice how they most often use it as a way of research some clue or track a villain. They get something identifying, like a fingerprint or blood sample, and then the computer person hacks the FBI database, runs a crosscheck, and find-outs a bit of important information. There are other ways the characters could research the same information, but they would take up more screen time and don't really relate to the story being told. It's a writing shortcut that is tired and overused, but still serves a purpose.

Hell, it'd probably save money, too? It would be just as easy to write "okay Laurel, go use your law contacts and crosscheck that" "ok got it ollie!" and then flashforward to the next day and have her present the same info that Felicity normally retrieves from hacking, but that'd require a set change, costume change, etc. Cheaper to just do it all in-scene.

I mean, I'm just guessing on all of that, maybe I'm wrong, so anyone please correct me, but it seems like it makes sense.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I liked season 1 Ollie a lot more when he was indiscriminately killing bad guys as well as neutral guys (e.g. guards) that got in his way, because that made him more of a vigilante with gray-area morals, district from the batman. But then he went no-kill-mode and basically became batman-lite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nearly nobody in the DCU kills, it's not really a Batman trait.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Nearly nobody in the DCU kills, it's not really a Batman trait.

Exactly, it made Ollie pretty unique. Now though he's just a run-of-the-mill hero who uses bow and arrow vs some other weapon/power.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly, it made Ollie pretty unique. Now though he's just a run-of-the-mill hero who uses bow and arrow vs some other weapon/power.

Eh, Ollie will still kill if necessary on Arrow (and in the comics from what I understand). He killed Vertigo, he killed Ras.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

enraged_camel posted:

Are you seriously calling Oliver Queen, this series' Oliver Queen, unique? Dude, he's been Batman from day one. In the comics too, but it's even more blatant here that the writers really wanted to do a Batman show and couldn't.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you seriously calling Oliver Queen, this series' Oliver Queen, unique? Dude, he's been Batman from day one. In the comics too, but it's even more blatant here that the writers really wanted to do a Batman show and couldn't.

Have you been reading what I've posted? That's exactly what I said: the Oliver queen we have right now is basically batman.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Are only so many stories you can tell when your protagonist kills all his enemies. Quentin Lance would still be hunting him, the league would just be "oh also a group of killers", etc etc

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

enraged_camel posted:

Have you been reading what I've posted? That's exactly what I said: the Oliver queen we have right now is basically batman.

Yes, I did. Hence why I said: he's been Batman from day one. He didn't become Batman when he decided to stop killing people, he became Batman when he was written as a rich man in peak physical shape, with no superpowers, who fights entirely at night, using different gadgets (different arrows, in this case), and is constantly brooding because of the death of his parents which motivates him to be a morally-dubious hero. The obvious Robin parallel only adds to it. And only some of these are to blame on the comics.

Has it become more blatant? Absolutely. Season 3 was the worst at it because it was very literally a Batman story (Ra's Al Ghul and all) but with Bruce Wayne lazily changed into Oliver Queen. But let's not kid ourselves, this series has been a live-action Batman from the very first episode.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yes, I did. Hence why I said: he's been Batman from day one. He didn't become Batman when he decided to stop killing people

You're entitled to your opinions of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

You're entitled to your opinions of course.

What?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The only thing Ollie shared with Batman when the show started was that they both came from rich families. That's literally it. The show wasn't "batman from day 1".

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Well, they're starting to move into the political angle a bit now. That's the other thing that helps make him unique, he's one of the most politically-minded super-heroes around. So hopefully they keep moving in that direction.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

The only thing Ollie shared with Batman when the show started was that they both came from rich families. That's literally it. The show wasn't "batman from day 1".

Green Arrow has always been a Batman knockoff and the show was pretty much Batman Begins with the numbers filed off.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Green Arrow has always been a Batman knockoff and the show was pretty much Batman Begins with the numbers filed off.

I don't care about the comics. The show started out distinctly different. For example, both of Batman's parents were good people and they were killed when Bruce was little. In contrast, Ollie's parents died when he was in this 20s, and both his dad and his mom turned out to have shady ties to villains.

What I'm saying is that the differences stopped mattering when Ollie decided not to kill people. That is when he became batman-lite. I call it "the pussification of Oliver Queen".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

I don't care about the comics. The show started out distinctly different. For example, both of Batman's parents were good people and they were killed when Bruce was little. In contrast, Ollie's parents died when he was in this 20s, and both his dad and his mom turned out to have shady ties to villains.

What I'm saying is that the differences stopped mattering when Ollie decided not to kill people. That is when he became batman-lite. I call it "the pussification of Oliver Queen".

So quit watching and save us your deep insights.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So quit watching and save us your deep insights.

I have another idea: you quit being a loving dickwad. Sorry you can't handle opinions different than yours.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

That contrast can make a big difference when they let it. It's a full reversal of their motivation to fight crime - Bruce's family was hurt by the city, while Oliver's family were the ones doing the hurting to the city. So while Bruce is kind of on a quest of vengeance, Oliver is on a quest of repentance.

It doesn't always come through, but it's why Oliver is much more actively concerned with the source of the crime problem and trying to fix it rather than just being satisfied to lock up all the "bad eggs" and wait for the city to fix itself on its own.

(I know theoretically Wayne Enterprises does a lot of humanitarian efforts or whatever but this is rarely made any kind of major plot point)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

I have another idea: you quit being a loving dickwad. Sorry you can't handle opinions different than yours.

Your opinions are stupid. Go bitch about not being a nerd some more in the Flash thread, it'll make you look cool.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Your opinions are stupid. Go bitch about not being a nerd some more in the Flash thread, it'll make you look cool.

Oh man, sorry. Did I hurt your feelings? Go tell mommy, maybe she will do something about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enraged_camel posted:

Oh man, sorry. Did I hurt your feelings? Go tell mommy, maybe she will do something about it.

You didn't hurt my feelings. You just continue to make yourself look like an idiot posting about shows you clearly hate.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You didn't hurt my feelings. You just continue to make yourself look like an idiot posting about shows you clearly hate.

O_o

I don't hate either The Flash or The Arrow. Maybe you mistake criticism for hatred?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno, shut up.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I did like it more when Oliver was out to ruin the lives of predatory elite and not murder hired help.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Calling out Ray for his "lack of iron" was a pretty good joke.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

XboxPants posted:

(I know theoretically Wayne Enterprises does a lot of humanitarian efforts or whatever but this is rarely made any kind of major plot point)

Let's be honest, all Batman cares about him getting be able to say he stopped crime. But yah, I wish they would let Ollie actually tackle some of the problems with his wealth, which I am assuming is what the Mayor plot will be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Thanks Alanis.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Ollie's wanton murder in S1 was one of the main things that kept me watching initially. However, the gradual change over time in his attitude as he nurtures healthier relationships with family and friends is a pretty cool overarching theme. Watching this show has really made me dislike Batman because I find Ollie's story to be so much more compelling.

Also, "archery" is a cooler gimmick than "bats" :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Cultivating a healthier outlook over time with the help of the friends and family he picks up through the course of his war really just another fundamental narrative that Arrow ganks from Batman.

(not pictured: like four or five other Robins)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 16, 2015

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

BrianWilly posted:

Cultivating a healthier outlook over time with the help of the friends and family he picks up through the course of his war really just another fundamental narrative that Arrow ganks from Batman.

Dang. I guess I just like archery then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, except Ollie actually does get a healthier outlook. Bruce just mimics it while secretly making contingency plans to destroy all of his friends just in case, like, Alfred becomes the new Eclipso or something.

• Locked thread