Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Sebastian is spanish-american!

note: I only know that because I own the artbook

edit: And actually fun fact, Seb was originally supposed to be for real spanish and not spanish-but-actually-basically-white, and Kidman was supposed to be french! But then they changed the setting of the game from Spain to the US and decided against that.

Castellano(s), besides being a legit last name in Spanish, is a way to refer to the Spanish language in Spanish. :eng101: Also how southern Brazilians refer to our spanish-speaking neighbours, even if legit castellanos are from a certain region in Spain.

Which reminds me that the new CoD has a Brazilian girl with a Spanish-as-gently caress last name. What a mysterious jogo indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sad Mammal posted:

Awkward, U.S. fighting game from the early aughts? Just slap a scary, tattooed black man on the cover

Uhh, I think that's just a white guy with a weird black tattoo on his face.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Huh, I always thought it was a black guy with a red tattoo/filter thing on the bottom half of his face. Looking at the game I see he's a white guy, huh. I never took too close a look at the game, reason: it's Tao Feng.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tao Feng desperately needs to be a Scrublords at some point, it's another of those goofy-fun SO REAL bone breaking, cuts and bruising, blood all over fighting games.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Tao Feng desperately needs to be a Scrublords at some point, it's another of those goofy-fun SO REAL bone breaking, cuts and bruising, blood all over fighting games.

Ahem

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Depths posted:

Asgore is my favorite

Bergentruckung + asgore or nothing at all. Gotta get that buildup.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fuuuuuuck, missed that one somehow.

JUMPING FROM THE PAGES OF YOUNG BLOOD, IT'S EXILE.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I hold no ill will toward the The Evil Within playthrough because it gave us amazing poo poo like this. poo poo that you can look at and be like, yup, that's video games right there.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Burgertruck is so fuckin' effective, man, it tells you everything about that fight in 32 measures.

Death by Glamour still best track NA tho.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Dias posted:

Burgertruck is so fuckin' effective, man, it tells you everything about that fight in 32 measures.

Bergentruckung is the best song in context for thematic purposes but the true best song is right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2FOXsCIpY

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the Nintendo direct a night video? Ugh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I started in on Walking Dead S2 and I am so bummed that Matt and Pat didn't notice Not-Kenny's gun freaking out in his hands when they were shoving Clementine in the shed. That is some grade-A Telltale jank there, where the loving scene focuses on the gun in his hands, and it's straight up vibrating independently of the character holding it

Dias posted:

Nah. Megalovania beats DBG by a mile, and Spider Dance, Burgertruckasgore, Undertale, and Hopes And Dreams/SAVE The World/Last Goodbye are all equal tier to Megalovania.

If anything DBG is hindered by not including the bit that plays during the True Ending credits. Adding in the Core music to it the way the ending credits does is just so effective.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah. Megalovania beats DBG by a mile, and Spider Dance, Burgertruckasgore, Undertale, and Hopes And Dreams/SAVE The World/Last Goodbye are all equal tier to Megalovania.

If anything DBG is hindered by not including the bit that plays during the True Ending credits. Adding in the Core music to it the way the ending credits does is just so effective.

Nah.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yep.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

captain invictus...is right

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Matt did way better on the Omega Flowey boss than I did the first time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I died once then owned him

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I held on and didn't die.

Second time I fought him I died a couple times though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did they take off the super tammy armor at some point, because the final bosses did absurd damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

havenwaters posted:

I held on and didn't die.

Second time I fought him I died a couple times though.

I was too busy laughing on my first try so he got some good hits in on me and poof

Tae posted:

Did they take off the super tammy armor at some point, because the final bosses did absurd damage.

Health is logarithmic against O. Flowey, your armor and weapon literally does not matter. Notice how his damage is never consistent and when Matt is near death it takes like a million hits for him to actually kill him.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

It's the only fight in the game (on this route anyway) that completely ignores whatever you have equipped.

As a aside my buddy that made the thumbnail art is the hypertester so Matt just muttering "...hypertester..." is apparently enough of a shoutout to make him excited. I don't think it works that way but who am i to object

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't even know you could die in that fight, simply because you take less damage at lower health.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

The fight is pre-programmed to just chop off half-ish of whatever your current health is every time you get hit. That way you can get down to a tiny sliver of health and then continue to take hits to make the fight more tense because it's maybe a tiny bit unfair by design.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I meant the fight against the King.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rhonne posted:

Matt did way better on the Omega Flowey boss than I did the first time.

I actually didn't know that you could die to Omega Flowey until I heard people talking about what happens when you do! :yayclod:

(Asgore kicked my rear end many times because I was too dumb to realize that he was literally taking Mercy off of the table.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tae posted:

Oh. No he just fucks your poo poo up.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just told myself I'd punch you lot in the dick if you were talking about a Vessel video, so be happy your dicks will survive to fight another day.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Don't get hit by Asgore

Don't do it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silentman0 posted:

I actually didn't know that you could die to Omega Flowey until I heard people talking about what happens when you do! :yayclod:

(Asgore kicked my rear end many times because I was too dumb to realize that he was literally taking Mercy off of the table.)

Funniest part for me was in my first playthrough Muffet was my roadblock. I just couldn't wrap my head around the doughnuts and just kept getting destroyed. My buddy was watching me and as I approached EX he was like "uh go get food you're gonna need it" and I aced every boss and encounter after it much to his confusion (though to be fair though he was getting sick of me dodging ASGORE's attacks before blurting out JUST HIT THE GUY)

When the game finally released I'd tell some friends when they got to muffet "don't feel bad if she kills you a few times she's a hard fight!!!" only for everyone to seemingly do it on the first try :negative:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mettaton EX was my only real roadblock because I think I was tired at the time and throwing a boss at me who throws poo poo on the screen fucks with my sense of space a lot

That being said now I can beat him first try every try so eh

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Flowey managed to kill him twice before i got to the first soul, then I can able to beat him without any trouble. Man, what a good rear end fight though. Matt's reaction to Omega Flowey's reveal was great too.

Can't wait to see the true ending!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All Undertale boss fights are good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

The fight is pre-programmed to just chop off half-ish of whatever your current health is every time you get hit. That way you can get down to a tiny sliver of health and then continue to take hits to make the fight more tense because it's maybe a tiny bit unfair by design.

Same thing with the mettaton bomb scene. The final countdown from like 25 "seconds" gets slower and slower to the point where it's like 7 seconds per "second" when you get to the last ten on the timer.

I think it's a nice touch. It might feel a little cheap after the fact, but the scenes he uses that trick for, it definitely adds tension.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baal posted:

All Undertale boss fights are good

I would debate toriel is the only one that is severely flawed because of the way beating her peacefully might not seem like it's working to a lot of people. As evidenced by a lot of folks accidentally killing her because of that stupid froggit who says you can beat enemies by getting their health low and then sparing them, when they most likely tried to spare her once or twice and it seemingly did nothing, and then of course you gib toriel if you hit her when she's at 30% health or so.

The toriel fight is the one consistent one I hear complaints of bad design for, and it's true in that sense. A lot of other aspects of her fight are great, like how she shoots away from you when you hit low health (and you have to actively try to kill yourself after that point, and if you manage to, there's a split second shot of toriel freaking out for accidentally killing you before the game over screen). There's not enough feedback initially when trying to spare her, that I feel maybe it was a little too early in the game for as complicated a fight as that. Like, the subsequent couple boss fights aren't nearly as difficult or involved.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 15, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
One thing I never noticed before about the Flowey fight is that the soul attacks are all weapons you can find.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

I would debate toriel is the only one that is severely flawed because of the way beating her peacefully might not seem like it's working to a lot of people. As evidenced by a lot of folks accidentally killing her because of that stupid froggit who says you can beat enemies by getting their health low and then sparing them, when they most likely tried to spare her once or twice and it seemingly did nothing, and then of course you gib toriel if you hit her when she's at 30% health or so.

The toriel fight is the one consistent one I hear complaints of bad design for, and it's true in that sense. A lot of other aspects of her fight are great, like how she shoots away from you when you hit low health (and you have to actively try to kill yourself after that point, and if you manage to, there's a split second shot of toriel freaking out for accidentally killing you before the game over screen). There's not enough feedback initially when trying to spare her, that I feel maybe it was a little too early in the game for as complicated a fight as that. Like, the subsequent couple boss fights aren't nearly as difficult or involved.

Toriel's mercy lines are actually different, she ellipses more on the second and third time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pandaK posted:

Toriel's mercy lines are actually different, she ellipses more on the second and third time.
I know you or I might notice that right away, but someone who's not paying very specific attention to her sprite/speech bubble for more dots won't. And there's a lot of those people, because that's far and away the biggest complaint about that fight if not Undertale entirely that I see.

Well, that and Alphys being an obnoxious poo poo on the phone, but that's kind of her thing.

One minor change I'd make is that I'd make the Talk command during the Asgore fight just repeat saying You can only FIGHT" instead of only saying it once after 5 uses of the command.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2015

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Improbable Lobster posted:

One thing I never noticed before about the Flowey fight is that the soul attacks are all weapons you can find.

Yeah, that's because those weapons and armor are heavily implied to have belonged to the previous humans who entered the underground.

Undertale brings out the worst in my backseat-gamer tendencies. It was really painful to watch Matt and Liam try and figure out the secret to the Asgore fight, though the blame really lies upon those people who told them that they never need to attack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hahahahahahaha, I just reached The Return Of Kenny.

"alright everyone, just release your sphincters...*sees old beardy Kenny* OH NOOOOOOO!/OH MY GOD, NO!" :allears:

"It's playing happy music, WHY, I HATE KENNY!"

this is the best

edit: so we've got Ms. Preggers on the team. Seeing as this is The Walking Dead and I feel like just about every possible topic is up in the air at this point, what is the likelihood we get some horrifying scene where the baby is stillborn, and due to the whole "die for any reason and you zombify" we end up with zombie baby, possibly zombie baby attacking the mother after she gives birth?

Dunno the lengths this series goes, I hear season two is NOT GOOD, so it makes me think something real badumb like that will happen

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Phantasium posted:

I didn't even know you could die in that fight, simply because you take less damage at lower health.

Yeah, I didn't know either until I saw it shown off in the screenshot LP on these forums.