Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

In true :911: fashion, it even includes a mask made in China Cantha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
So I'm looking to get into crafting, and I have one alt of every profession, which is more than enough to cover each of the 9 crafting disciplines. Therefore, are there any disciplines where is it valuable to double up on?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AmericanGeeksta posted:

So I'm looking to get into crafting, and I have one alt of every profession, which is more than enough to cover each of the 9 crafting disciplines. Therefore, are there any disciplines where is it valuable to double up on?

I'm pretty sure there isn't, since your characters would just be competing for mats. Time-gated crafted items (e.g. Lumps of Mithrillium) are gated across your entire account, too, so multiple crafters don't help there.
Plus, recipes are unlocked per-character, so if you find a particularly cool item you want to craft, you'd have to decide which char with that discipline will learn it.

Nothing wrong with repeating a discipline if you're just trying to get a few extra levels though.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Also scribing is a dumpster fire right now, wait to do that until the prices of mats go down or they make the requirements for making things not so stupid.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I spruced up my mesmer with all the neato stuff I've gotten from the expansion.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ItBurns posted:

I spruced up my mesmer with all the neato stuff I've gotten from the expansion.

Needs more gold highlights and particle effects.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Needs more gold highlights and particle effects.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

Didn't know R. Kelly played gw2.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I got this one as well.

It goes well with the black feather effects from reaper.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I asked this earlier in the midst of the Mastery discussion, so I think it got missed. I'm just starting into HoT (for the first time) on my Warrior and I'm getting owned pretty hard. Does anyone have a build that emphasises survivability for a Warrior?

I run a full soldier's warrior and still get shredded by those mobs even with shout heals, they're pretty terrible, best I can suggest other than heal shouts is maybe dolyak runes for extra regen and weapons that cleave to put poo poo down fast, longbow especially is a good one but you generally don't want weapons with to many attacks that make stand still because you WILL die, way to many of the mobs either have attacks that hurt you a ton if you stand still or pretty much force you to move, moldrem mobs in particular and arrowheads.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

warrior build:

greatsword

the greatsword trait line

the traitline that makes you move faster with a greatsword

a third traitline (buff your greatsword)

heal signet

uhhhh

more signets

push 2

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 15, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what the gently caress reaper

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

I am sprucing up SFD's guild hall tonight.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

yeah

re dreggon not benis

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 15, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dreggon posted:

what the gently caress reaper

it's good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lonk posted:

nice

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lonk posted:

now do nipples

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Big thanks to Merc for running a HP train last night and putting up with my newbie squishy 80 warrior. :love:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Big thanks to Merc for running a HP train last night and putting up with my newbie squishy 80 warrior. :love:

Merc is the reason my lovely ungeared alts have completed elite specs, many thanks go out to him.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Not really. If anything, consider stacking some or all serious professions on one character. The 3 major ascended mats, the ingots, cloth, and wood, are all time gated by account. Having one crafter live in rata sum makes that daily craft much easier.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

mike12345 posted:

now do nipples

I tried but it wouldn't work.
Come on Arenanet, first SAB and now this?!? I paid $50 to put pumpkin nipples on a statue and you won't even let me!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also scribing is a dumpster fire right now, wait to do that until the prices of mats go down or they make the requirements for making things not so stupid.

I really wanted to be a guild scriber so bad. But the fact that it takes so much and rewards so little just gives no incentive for me to do it.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

malhavok posted:

Merc is the reason my lovely ungeared alts have completed elite specs, many thanks go out to him.

I got 10/11 HP in VB and 8/11 in AB last night, plus what I was able to turn in from WvW, I'm about 50 points short on full Berserker, and finished 2 whole Mastery tracks and got halfway to Updrafts. What feels like a huge advance on my first 80!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I got 10/11 HP in VB and 8/11 in AB last night, plus what I was able to turn in from WvW, I'm about 50 points short on full Berserker, and finished 2 whole Mastery tracks and got halfway to Updrafts. What feels like a huge advance on my first 80!

Do you have a job or a girlfriend though? If you do, did you notice a cut in pay when you got more mastery points? Asking for a friend.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Does anyone here play sinister/viper Berserker in PvE? How is it?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Trogdos! posted:

Does anyone here play sinister/viper Berserker in PvE? How is it?

I've been running it with sword/torch longbow on warrior. Arms Discipline Berserker. King of Fires gives you 33% burn duration so you don't need full Viper's if you're using Balthazar runes. Signet of Fury and Headbutt (and Outrage) give you two quick ways to get into berserk mode, though Headbutt is the only hard CC on the build as I've got it so it can be better to save it. Having most of your damage available at range (sword and longbow primal bursts) is pretty good for HoT stuff so far.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

So, after busting out both blue and yellow EXP boosters, a celebration booster, 15% exp Halloween food, the cheapest utility buff for 10%, and the guild exp booster when it was 6%, I did a full Dragon's Stand meta chain while failing one event and not tagging a second, and got 45% of gliding 5 in about 75 minutes. That was definitely more than a little bit over a million exp. It'll probably work out to be about a third of leyline gliding each time, so if you can spare 90 minutes you should be able to be some real progress with the higher end ones.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Illuyankas posted:

So, after busting out both blue and yellow EXP boosters, a celebration booster, 15% exp Halloween food, the cheapest utility buff for 10%, and the guild exp booster when it was 6%, I did a full Dragon's Stand meta chain while failing one event and not tagging a second, and got 45% of gliding 5 in about 75 minutes. That was definitely more than a little bit over a million exp. It'll probably work out to be about a third of leyline gliding each time, so if you can spare 90 minutes you should be able to be some real progress with the higher end ones.
Yeah, each hero point train I was running was giving me a little over a quarter of Gliding 6's experience required with full boosters. Like, it could still do to be reduced by 30% or so but it's not entirely awful, particularly if you don't actively grind for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Whoever was looking for jumping puzzles in the new zones, there's another really cool one in the egg room in Tarir

I'm only like halfway up but no mastery required yet, you just have to have done the story step that lets you in here.

e: just beat it, and it has a cheevo and chest too

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 15, 2015

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You realize there is a adventure right next to the start that let's you race up there way, way faster with some extra loot/experience.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You realize there is a adventure right next to the start that let's you race up there way, way faster with some extra loot/experience.

Nope, I wasn't in a rush and wanted to get the vista halfway up too?

e: also a while back someone specifically said they hadn't found new puzzles so I was pointing this one out, it's not always a race!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 16, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Where's the fun in that?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'd actually be surprised and disappointed if there wasn't a new puzzle on each zone.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, each hero point train I was running was giving me a little over a quarter of Gliding 6's experience required with full boosters. Like, it could still do to be reduced by 30% or so but it's not entirely awful, particularly if you don't actively grind for it.

How is it not entirely awful that someone running multiple cash-shop boosters thinks the experience requirements could stand to drop 30%?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Illuyankas posted:

I've gotten a ton of XP from DS too. I was actually mastery-capped at one point. I don't want to name names but the dentist that was making fun of me for doing DS in mumble last night can gently caress right off. It's great loot and XP.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Probad posted:

How is it not entirely awful that someone running multiple cash-shop boosters thinks the experience requirements could stand to drop 30%?

Because he's talking about the final level of the mastery tract that he's now a quarter plus of the way through two weeks into the expansion's release. Also I don't think he's advocating buying those items on the cash shop so much as using the free ones the game shits on you, rather than hording them.

Now I might be wrongly assuming that he hasn't maxed any other mastery yet, and is playing casually, (I'd say no more than 8 hours a week) of play.

I just kinda assumed like most mmo devs they're gonna leave it steeper right now and reduce it as the game ages. Hell ANET even did that with the 1-80 grind. In a month I got 2 characters to 80 (one starting at 36 I'll admit) in far less time played than it took me to get that first character to 36, and with a hell of a lot more dicking around.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, I wasn't in a rush and wanted to get the vista halfway up too?

e: also a while back someone specifically said they hadn't found new puzzles so I was pointing this one out, it's not always a race!

I think she was just pointing out that it's a route specifically built for an adventure where the goal is gotta go fast, so hey try the adventure too it's fun and good.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Probad posted:

This is balanced out by the fact that anyone that has more mastery points than me doesn't have a job and thus has less money to spend on boosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Probad posted:

You can get the boosters from Achievement reward chests, Black Lion chests and the WvW supply chest things, no need to buy them off the gem store.

I'm personally not having problems with mastery experience because I've been filling out my elite specs on my horde of alts (that I tomed to level 80) by doing hero challenges in HoT (which give an absolute shitload of experience) but I'm conscious of the fact that not everyone is as retarded as I am about alts and don't want to grind for experience so I personally think the requirements should be reduced, at least at the very high levels. Tyria masteries are 200k per point vs 250k for HoT so they should just equalise them and I think that would fix some issues.

Coolness Averted posted:

Because he's talking about the final level of the mastery tract that he's now a quarter plus of the way through two weeks into the expansion's release. Also I don't think he's advocating buying those items on the cash shop so much as using the free ones the game shits on you, rather than hording them.

Now I might be wrongly assuming that he hasn't maxed any other mastery yet, and is playing casually, (I'd say no more than 8 hours a week) of play.

I just kinda assumed like most mmo devs they're gonna leave it steeper right now and reduce it as the game ages. Hell ANET even did that with the 1-80 grind. In a month I got 2 characters to 80 (one starting at 36 I'll admit) in far less time played than it took me to get that first character to 36, and with a hell of a lot more dicking around.
I have actually finished the gliding track and I'm at Itzel 4, Nuhoch 4 and working on Exalted 4 at the moment. The mastery points I have now are really just a side effect of unlocking the elite specs on all the alts I use in PvE or WvW. I've now finished unlocking my elite specs on all of my level 80 alts so I'm expecting my Mastery experience gain to drop significantly because I don't really like grinding stuff much and don't really have much time during the week after work to do stuff in any event.

As far as time goes, I had a couple of days off work about a week after HoT launched where I spent a lot more time than usual in game as I'm in Australia and generally the only time I do stuff for extended periods with US timezone people is Saturday/Sunday morning my time. Apart from spending 6 hours exploring after I unlocked updrafts I haven't really done that much grinding other than the hero trains I've been running (which is grinding but I rather enjoy running around the zones and it helps a lot of people other than me as well). Each of the hero trains I ran take about 2 hours all up and I've done I think 14 of them at this point. I'd guess slightly more than double the time investment you're estimating at this point?

• Locked thread