Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

The only thing I found really terrible about this episode was the "May the God's bless us" thing they said when they were trying to contact each other on the radio. That didn't seem to fit in at all.

It's just one of those crazy Indo-Japanese cultural quibbles. You know the Indo-Japanese.

That was one of the more baffling aspects of the episode. Like, Japan's gotta take quite a trip to get all the way around to India, all the way around Australia unless it wants to take parts of Indonesia with it. It almost seems like a mean-spirited parody of the show's (laudable) efforts to show various countries in space in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

'Rasmussen didn't want to fight The Doctor directly so he created a false narrative where he lost so The Doctor would leave' is an interesting angle as well. I think that's actually a pretty great plan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If the scientist guy was a sandman the whole time, that means the Sandmen are sapient, right? So the Doctor thinks he just genocided another sapient species.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

That was one of the more baffling aspects of the episode. Like, Japan's gotta take quite a trip to get all the way around to India, all the way around Australia unless it wants to take parts of Indonesia with it. It almost seems like a mean-spirited parody of the show's (laudable) efforts to show various countries in space in the future.

You mean the crater where Australia and Indonesia were before the Great Catastrophe?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Angela Christine posted:

If the scientist guy was a sandman the whole time, that means the Sandmen are sapient, right? So the Doctor thinks he just genocided another sapient species.

I got the impression that they were simply empty vessels controlled by the disembodied single mind that resulted from whatever the side effects of the sleep procedure were. Basically akin to The Great Intelligence and its various puppets over the years.

Whether that intelligence developed as some kind of psychic manifestation out of Rasmussen's mind alone, or some kind of gestalt combination of the minds of all the staff I don't know - we can't take anything we learned at face value because everything we saw was very deliberately put together by the Sandman to keep the viewer watching long enough to be infected.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Random Stranger posted:

You mean the crater where Australia and Indonesia were before the Great Catastrophe?

The Withering

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
This episode is the first time I've gotten to the end credits and had to say to myself, 'wait, what happened?'.

Then I went back and rewatched bits of it to see if I just hadn't been paying enough attention (which, I will freely admit, had been flagging). I've come to the conclusion that, nope, that was just lovely writing, all the way down.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I liked it, I think, although it's far too weird to be flawless and perfect, and am making a loud farting noise in your general direction. At least it wasn't dull like the Zygon part one. Worth watching again in 48 hours to examine the Emperor's sense of haute couture more closely.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Allow this picture to sum up my feelings on this episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

I liked it, I think, although it's far too weird to be flawless and perfect, and am making a loud farting noise in your general direction. At least it wasn't dull like the Zygon part one. Worth watching again in 48 hours to examine the Emperor's sense of haute couture more closely.

There are definitely bits and pieces that could be salvaged into a far more compelling episode (the entire backdrop and setup is spot on for example). It's just the assemblage and the resolution of the setup and set pieces are just all over the place. It's especially egregious since there was already a somewhat similar episode this series with a slightly less interesting set-up and setting, but a much better utilization and execution.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can 12 just regenerate back into 11 and we go on fun adventures again with Amy and Rory? Or back into 10 and we keep the writers from 11s seasons?

Or have another multi-Doc episode with 10 and 11 calling 12 grandpa?

Or have a 3 parter with as many living Doctors as possible doing something fun?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually liked it more than Under the Lake. Under the Lake just felt insanely rote to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Can 12 just regenerate back into 11 and we go on fun adventures again with Amy and Rory? Or back into 10 and we keep the writers from 11s seasons?

For any and all faults that this season might have had, I don't think Peter Capaldi has been one of them - he's still basically perfect casting for the Doctor. That said.....

Infinitum posted:

Or have another multi-Doc episode with 10 and 11 calling 12 grandpa?

I'd be down for this!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah Capaldi is great as the Doctor, he's just had lovely scripts. Also the sunnies have gotta go.

Which is why I would kill to have Tennant have had a run with Moffat at the helm after Davies left so we didn't get stuck with R-r-rose plotlines.

10 with Amy and Rory :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm always in two minds about that - I believe the original intention was for Tennant to stick around for Moffat's first season before moving on, but then he decided to wrap things up at the same time as RTD? Tennant with Moffat scripts would have been fascinating (as Day of the Doctor showcased) but on the other hand, that would mean no season 5 with Smith which is still the high watermark of the modern revival of Doctor Who, and I'd hate to have missed out on that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah season 5 is just ridiculously good.

I'd just really really really love to see a multi-Doctor story that takes place over 2+ episodes so we can see them all have some time in the sun again.

Offtopic, but if you aren't hype for Tennant as Timelord VictoriousThe Purple Man in Jessica Jones I don't know what to tell you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UYWK2jeX0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Offtopic, but if you aren't hype for Tennant as Timelord VictoriousThe Purple Man in Jessica Jones I don't know what to tell you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3UYWK2jeX0

Oh maaaaaaaan I somehow managed to put out of my mind they were making this and now it's almost here. If it is even half as good as the comic it's going to be amazing, and the casting of Tennant as The Purple Man is inspired.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I noticed that in next week's episode the preview show the Doctor back in his grumpy magician attire. I don't know what that means but it struck me as interesting considering how different his character has been this season.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh maaaaaaaan I somehow managed to put out of my mind they were making this and now it's almost here.

Friday bitchesssssss :woop:

quote:

If it is even half as good as the comic it's going to be amazing, and the casting of Tennant as The Purple Man is inspired.

If it's even half as good as Dare Devil, we're in for a goddamn treat.

Tennant playing a villian :allears:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tennant is good but I'm totally watching for K Ritz.

Thing about this episode rear end, yeah, the "eye booger monsters" thing was dumb, but I liked the direction and the idea that the corporatist/capitalist mentality is taken so far that it's considered acceptable to find a way to eliminate sleep so you can work more and make more money for your company. The implementation is off but there's something to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Infinitum posted:

Tennant playing a villian :allears:

I know it was brief but he played a villain in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The concept of the monster is great from a 'scare the poo poo out of kids' perspective.

Hey kids you know the sleep in the corner of your eye? IT'S A MONSTER THAT'S GONNA EAT YOU!
Now time for bed! Gotta start growing that monster!

The execution was dumb.
Can we please go back to episodes designed to scare the gently caress out of children? They're the best episodes.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just got around to the episode and I have to say, I was not impressed. Its not the worst episode of the season (hello, whatever the opener was called) but it also wasn't better than any of the other ones. I was assuming it was going to be creatures from the id so I am pleasantly surprised that I didn't end up guessing the ending but other than that it was a mess. Like Clara saying the machine was calling out to her? That went nowhere. The monsters were dumb, the idea that a video signal could cause people to turn into dust monsters was dumb too. The show tried to hide the fact that no-one had anything to do by having everything be too frantic but it just didn't work. I feel like Clara's actress gave a bad performance and Capaldi, while good, had ridiculous lines that not even he could sell as being in any way profound. A not good episode all around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cliff Racer posted:

. I feel like Clara's actress gave a bad performance

I disagree, she was on point this week. And the bit where she showed how smart she was and point at herself and was all "Not just this." was great.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Davros1 posted:

You know, if they had managed to work in a plot about cyberspace and only had McCoy appear at the beginning and end, this would have been the perfect Virgin New Adventure.

I think you're being too harsh on the NA's. Both the TV series and the books need the space to be able to have "doctor light" episodes and books, and both can actually benefit from those necessities. Cat's Cradle: Warhead fits your description, and while in retrospect isn't very Doctor Who-ish, it's still a good novel and amazingly prescient in it's predictions about technology.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

I disagree, she was on point this week. And the bit where she showed how smart she was and point at herself and was all "Not just this." was great.

I actually didn't like that line, because it honestly felt way too forced.

Like, if one of the soldiers made some kind of sexist comment about her, or something in that vein, commented on her looks, sure cool.

But they didn't, and in fact no one did anything of the sort the entire episode. It just came out the gently caress of no where as kind of obnoxious and I don't know what the gently caress.

Like it wasn't even an answer to her relationship with the Doctor at all because he spent all of last year insulting her looks, not basing her off of them in a positive light.

If the Doctor followed it up with something like "God help us if you were" or something pithy, it would have worked better I think. Just a weird line that didn't fit Clara as a character or the scene or moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was just a standard bit of good-humored fun, dude. People do that kind of thing all the time, figure something out/do something cool and then jokingly compliment themselves over it. It didn't have to be in reaction to what anybody else was saying, it was just a fun little character moment.

If anything it went to showcase how Clara is becoming increasingly more comfortable in living the Doctor's vagabond, nutso adventuring lifestyle, perhaps to the detriment of the non-Doctor side of her life. She can show up on a desolate space station during a rescue mission and crack jokes that would be more suited to just hanging out with your friends shooting the poo poo. In season 8 she was juggling the Doctor, the school and Danny trying to maintain some level of balance. Now this season we've seen basically one scene of her at the school and the rest of the time she's on adventures with the Doctor or casually taking control of UNIT during dire situations, and shows no concern over the idea that there doesn't seem to be anything else in her life.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 16, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

I actually didn't like that line, because it honestly felt way too forced.

Like, if one of the soldiers made some kind of sexist comment about her, or something in that vein, commented on her looks, sure cool.

But they didn't, and in fact no one did anything of the sort the entire episode. It just came out the gently caress of no where as kind of obnoxious and I don't know what the gently caress.

Like it wasn't even an answer to her relationship with the Doctor at all because he spent all of last year insulting her looks, not basing her off of them in a positive light.

If the Doctor followed it up with something like "God help us if you were" or something pithy, it would have worked better I think. Just a weird line that didn't fit Clara as a character or the scene or moment.

Companions are usually described as "just a pretty face." Her comment was in light of that. It was funny. Lighten up dude.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Not just a pretty face" is something people say all the time yeah.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I...I thought that was a pretty straightforward, fun, solid episode. After reading the thread, I was bracing myself for a shitfest, but that was actually pretty drat cool. Probably my favorite Gatiss script.

The Doctor accidentally wanders into basically a film set, sees some weird poo poo that makes no sense, and then just leaves. The poster who said this was The Twilight Zone featuring The Doctor nailed it on the head, and it was good.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Roach Warehouse posted:

I noticed that in next week's episode the preview show the Doctor back in his grumpy magician attire. I don't know what that means but it struck me as interesting considering how different his character has been this season.

Given the theories about Clara being dead and the Doctor breaking their own continuity to continue to have adventures, perhaps it's an earlier version of 12 (ala the Time of Angels thing)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It wouldn't have taken that much to save the episode. Make the monsters into something (loving anything, I don't care) other than sleep dust, and instead of Shearsmith giving the denouement, have the Doctor figure it out, explain Shearsmith's plan to Clara as he innoculates her against the signal and adds something to its transmission to Earth to neutralize the effects. Then he and Clara reflect on how awful it would be if an undoctored signal were ever released to a mass audience.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If you’re looking to get the taste of Sleep No More out of your mouth, Jago & Litefoot & Strax is one of the best releases Big Finish has done in a long time. It’s definitely the funniest. The dialogue and chemistry between the four leads is superb, especially as Strax keeps calling Litefoot “Madam.”

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Four leads?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

cargohills posted:

Four leads?

Well, three – Jago, Litefoot, and Strax, but Ellie the bardmaid keeps popping in enough that I counted her as one.

Lisa Bowerman not only plays Ellie (whose a major supporting character in the main range), but I think she’s directed every single story in the Jago & Litefoot range. I like her much more as Ellie than as Benny.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 16, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Whybird posted:

It wouldn't have taken that much to save the episode. Make the monsters into something (loving anything, I don't care) other than sleep dust, and instead of Shearsmith giving the denouement, have the Doctor figure it out, explain Shearsmith's plan to Clara as he innoculates her against the signal and adds something to its transmission to Earth to neutralize the effects. Then he and Clara reflect on how awful it would be if an undoctored signal were ever released to a mass audience.
You're then replacing the cool and unique ending with a very generic one, though.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is far from a good story but I don't understand at all the complaints about the sleep dust. It's thematically appropriate and it works from a folkloric perspective (the dust accumulates because nobody's sleeping).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

This is far from a good story but I don't understand at all the complaints about the sleep dust. It's thematically appropriate and it works from a folkloric perspective (the dust accumulates because nobody's sleeping).

Well, in the US there's the fact that we more commonly refer to this stuff as "eye boogers".

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You're then replacing the cool and unique ending with a very generic one, though.

The ending is still 'you, the audience are hosed because of what you just watched'. You just don't have the narrator carefully explaining to the audience in patronising detail exactly why they are hosed, like the Cryptkeeper closing the book and going to the audience 'But don't worry, vampires aren't real. OR ARE THEY?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Whybird posted:

The ending is still 'you, the audience are hosed because of what you just watched'. You just don't have the narrator carefully explaining to the audience in patronising detail exactly why they are hosed, like the Cryptkeeper closing the book and going to the audience 'But don't worry, vampires aren't real. OR ARE THEY?'

The whole point of the ending is the baddie wins and The Doctor just has to bail on the whole thing. Granted the execution leaves alot to be desired but 'The Doctor [techs] something and the crisis is averted really misses the point of the episode's whole found-footage horror schtick

• Locked thread