Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Theyre probably not even going to read it...

That said, I have managed to sneak a 9.1m x 6.2m x 3.3m shed past them. Not QUITE tall enough in the walls for a hoist because the 4wd is too bloody tall, but it means i wont have to take the roof top tent off to get in the shed any more! 2.85m under the roller door!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Awesome. I want a bus. Unfortunately over here I couldn't legally drive it on the road :(

warcake posted:

Toot toot, you can if its over 30 years old and for personal use!
I think Tomarse may be referencing the licence weight limit issue, in which case I believe the rule is pre-1960, not being used laden, commercially, or towing anything.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

InitialDave posted:

I think Tomarse may be referencing the licence weight limit issue, in which case I believe the rule is pre-1960, not being used laden, commercially, or towing anything.

I was just going by this: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/driving-passenger-carrying-vehicles-pcv-on-a-car-driving-licence

Which suggests you can drive any bus over 30 years old (I think its so people with old buses for shows etc don't need a full bus licence)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just bought a new telly and am about to nail it to the wall. The bracket literally weighs three times what the tv does.

Also, 4k supremacy (no I don't currently have a source that pushes more than 720p, why do you ask? :v )

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I just bought a new telly and am about to nail it to the wall. The bracket literally weighs three times what the tv does.

Also, 4k supremacy (no I don't currently have a source that pushes more than 720p, why do you ask? :v )

Having spent quite a lot of time working on new school builds/refurbs and IT fit outs, much of the time when fitting wall mount screens I have had to spec brackets that were rated to hold not only the weight of the screen but the weight of a child hanging on it. This extra 70kg makes the brackets pretty chunky!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tomarse posted:

Having spent quite a lot of time working on new school builds/refurbs and IT fit outs, much of the time when fitting wall mount screens I have had to spec brackets that were rated to hold not only the weight of the screen but the weight of a child hanging on it. This extra 70kg makes the brackets pretty chunky!

Yeah, it's weird things like kid behaviour you don't often think about in some jobs before it's pointed out. Eg when installing a/cs I learnt you aren't supposed to put an outdoor unit/condenser anywhere near a balcony railing, because a kid could climb onto the a/c and then be able to climb onto the balcony rail and fall off.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamnit. Never going to hear that song the same way again :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

cursedshitbox posted:

http://imgur.com/a/L0H4x
Going back to his house nextweekend to weld in the final crossmember, paint the frame and move it.
That thing is amazing. Going to make a great toy hauler. At some point I'm going to need a truck/trailer or a toy hauler but I'm not sure I'd want something that massive. 12mpg@65mph is pretty impressive though.

Negromancer posted:

I just realized this aw11 mr2 is still for sale, which is pretty much my perfect aw11. Mentioned it to my fiancee and her response was "So are you going to make an offer on it?", which I wasn't really expecting. Wouldn't want to ship it all the way from Orlando to Seattle, since that could be a fun roadtrip, but I don't know if I would want to do it during the winter.

Buy it and do the road trip, I mean what's the worst that could happen...

:argh:

Doing my usual fall cleanup but burning all the drat leaves and the fire department shows up. Not sure if that means I'm doing things right or wrong but they were happy to see fire extinguishers, garden hose and several 5 gallon buckets of water. Shot the poo poo, talked about cars then went on their way. Wonder if they'll be back next weekend when I clean up the extra lot, that one is going to be a controlled burn instead of moving everything to the fire pit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

warcake posted:

I was just going by this: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/driving-passenger-carrying-vehicles-pcv-on-a-car-driving-licence

Which suggests you can drive any bus over 30 years old (I think its so people with old buses for shows etc don't need a full bus licence)
Ah, ok, that's something separate, that's for something with more than a certain number of seats, and it would have to be below a given weight, a minibus effectively. Also bear in mind that the website you referenced is for Northern Ireland, and not everything ties up quite the same (not sure whether this does or not).
Also, depending on when you got your licence, you may already have the "minibus" entitlement.

For the kind of full-size bus CSB just bought, the rules would be different, and I'm not 100% sure what it would come under. If you stripped out a lot of the seating to use as a "toybox" truck, I think it'd come under being a rigid goods vehicle as class C (C1 if under 7.5t), rather than the D1 or D for a full size bus - again, the definitions given on the government websites are a bit fuzzy.

And I think it'd need the pre-1960 clause to drive if you didn't have that entitlement.

The bit I'm unsure of is whether the pre-1960 clause allows you to drive old buses that still have their seats, rather than a goods vehicle. I think so, but it'd need checking.

Short answer is the licence categories are a loving mess half the time, they've been chopped and changed multiple times to get to where we are now, and when you passed your test makes a big difference to what you're allowed to do.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yup, my brother can drive almost anything, I passed 2 years later and have a lot less entitlements, so the bloke who wants to drive a big campervan can't, the bloke who can, doesn't want to. My wife passed when she was in her late 20s and has an even stricter set of entitlements even though her test was twice as hard as mine.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Ah, ok, that's something separate, that's for something with more than a certain number of seats, and it would have to be below a given weight, a minibus effectively. Also bear in mind that the website you referenced is for Northern Ireland, and not everything ties up quite the same (not sure whether this does or not).
Also, depending on when you got your licence, you may already have the "minibus" entitlement.

For the kind of full-size bus CSB just bought, the rules would be different, and I'm not 100% sure what it would come under. If you stripped out a lot of the seating to use as a "toybox" truck, I think it'd come under being a rigid goods vehicle as class C (C1 if under 7.5t), rather than the D1 or D for a full size bus - again, the definitions given on the government websites are a bit fuzzy.

And I think it'd need the pre-1960 clause to drive if you didn't have that entitlement.

The bit I'm unsure of is whether the pre-1960 clause allows you to drive old buses that still have their seats, rather than a goods vehicle. I think so, but it'd need checking.

Short answer is the licence categories are a loving mess half the time, they've been chopped and changed multiple times to get to where we are now, and when you passed your test makes a big difference to what you're allowed to do.

Yeah i didnt even clock that i'd gone on the NI website, but I do think that it is referencing 2 different vehicle types. Either an old bus of any size which can be driven with up to 8 passengers, or a minibus with up to 16 passengers as long as the dates on your licence stack up (both not for hire or reward)

With that bus CSB has you would be treading on very thin ice even if it was over the age limit and you were driving it on a car licence if it has obviously been chopped up to use as a goods vehicle. I assume a bus would be registered as such and would require a bus licence even if you took the seats out. Can you even change the type of vehicle it is?

Ive got my full D licence and i've been arguing with my boss about picking buses up from over the 50km radius you are allowed with no CPC and bringing them back to our workshop, so who the gently caress knows what I can drive. I wouldn't fancy my chances with a copper if he pulls me over with no tacho card in and no CPC.

To make it even more stupid, to get your CPC you can do the same 7 hour lesson 5 times in a row to meet the 35 hours training. (for you american types to be a "professional" truck or bus driver you have to take 35 hours of training over 5 years, which just ends up being guys who have been driving over 20 years getting taught how to do their daily walkaround checks by someone who has never driven a truck)

EDIT: i think basically what the gov website says is if you aren't sure seek legal advice because its ultimately a judge who will decide how to interpret the law.

Cakefool posted:

Yup, my brother can drive almost anything, I passed 2 years later and have a lot less entitlements, so the bloke who wants to drive a big campervan can't, the bloke who can, doesn't want to. My wife passed when she was in her late 20s and has an even stricter set of entitlements even though her test was twice as hard as mine.

Yep I can drive one of those loving huge 3 axle european tour coaches but i can't drive some transit vans.

warcake fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 15, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I don't get it. Maybe I'm glad that I'm not familiar enough with the original, it just seems like the tempo is slowed by ~40%?

If you really want some fuckery, check out Richard Cheese. He'll show you things you've never seen.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

warcake posted:

With that bus CSB has you would be treading on very thin ice even if it was over the age limit and you were driving it on a car licence if it has obviously been chopped up to use as a goods vehicle. I assume a bus would be registered as such and would require a bus licence even if you took the seats out. Can you even change the type of vehicle it is?
Yeah, I think you can recategorise stuff using a V70 form.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I don't get it. Maybe I'm glad that I'm not familiar enough with the original, it just seems like the tempo is slowed by ~40%?

If you really want some fuckery, check out Richard Cheese. He'll show you things you've never seen.

It's the lyrics from Smashmouth with the instrumentals from Linkin Park

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ahahahahaha. Now I need to hear this done the other way around.

edit: of course, already been done.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 15, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: ^^^^ It doesn't work nearly as well :(

https://soundcloud.com/jaradmoloney/in-the-end-all-star-but-in-reverse

All of this guy's stuff is ridiculous.

https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/track/enter-seinfeld
https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/track/one-step-closer-to-the-gay-bar

https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/album/colonel-hank-stankens-fat-nasty-meme-village-for-nerds-dumb-idiots
https://nonplayablerecords.bandcamp.com/album/now-thats-what-i-call-a-sad-dad-dance-party

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 15, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

E: ^^^^ It doesn't work nearly as well :(

Yeah, still amusing all the same.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

warcake posted:

I am 6 months too young and got my license in late '97 which means I am limited to under 3.5 tons GVW and cant drive any of the good poo poo without extra tests. that site only seems to cover minibuses and doesn't mention weights so I assume my license wins.

I also own a landrover which came plated as a 3.9 tons and had to spend months messing about working out what to do with it so i could drive it as a non-goods vehicle over 3.5tons that isnt a campervan falls into a special no-mans land where neither the DVLA or VOSA want responsibility for it (the final solution was to just get new plates for it and stamp them at a lower weight and update the V5 - which is legal as long as you don't exceed the newly reduced weights if put on a weighbridge)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I went through all the trouble of getting a CDL-A which lets me go up to 80k lbs, and all i use it for is to pretend i can afford an old cabover class 8 truck.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ahahahahaha. Now I need to hear this done the other way around.

edit: of course, already been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhvXST1Rc3g

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

It's the lyrics from Smashmouth with the instrumentals from Linkin Park

Gotcha. Two bands I want nothing to do with. One of the few times that I'm glad I didn't get the point!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL9DdwqJJ44

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Gotcha. Two bands I want nothing to do with. One of the few times that I'm glad I didn't get the point!

Indeed, neither parallels the auditory orgasm of an experience that is Richard Cheese :haw:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm proud to say I'm addicted to this now

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fallout 4 caused me graphics card to overheat and fry. Turns out it looks like the fan was failing for awhile now.

I was looking to upgrade anyway, but now I'm forced to and don't want to spend megabucks. Does this look like a good midrange card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155

It'd certainly be an upgrade from the HD6870 I was using.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you guys like all those weird mashups, go to soundcloud and either find Neil Cicierega or just search for "soundclown"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdSoZO-5mM

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Previa_fun posted:

Fallout 4 caused me graphics card to overheat and fry. Turns out it looks like the fan was failing for awhile now.

I was looking to upgrade anyway, but now I'm forced to and don't want to spend megabucks. Does this look like a good midrange card? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487155

The GTX 960 is a bad deal unless you get it severely discounted, like at EVGA B-Stock prices or lower. It's worth moving up to the GTX 970 for a graphics card that is actually at a good point on the price-performance scale, or waiting until you can get a really good deal on a GTX 960.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sinestro posted:

The GTX 960 is a bad deal unless you get it severely discounted, like at EVGA B-Stock prices or lower. It's worth moving up to the GTX 970 for a graphics card that is actually at a good point on the price-performance scale, or waiting until you can get a really good deal on a GTX 960.

drat. I guess I should be prepared to spend about three bones on a card? That seems about the sweet spot for all the recommended cards. That 960 was attractive because of the price but if the performance is really that much lower I might just have to suck it up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Huh.. So it really is possible to have a successful singing career while singing worse than Taylor Swift. Who knew.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sinestro posted:

I have no idea how old it is now, but I have an 8gb GTX 770 which runs everything I currently use without any problem. Is it still solid enough for Fallout 4 when I inevitably break down and buy it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

drat. I guess I should be prepared to spend about three bones on a card? That seems about the sweet spot for all the recommended cards. That 960 was attractive because of the price but if the performance is really that much lower I might just have to suck it up.

Newegg usually starts their Black Friday sales the week of Black Friday, not on Black Friday. If you can, I would wait a week to see what they have. I know this sucks because you probably want to play Fallout as soon as possible.

The Locator posted:

I have no idea how old it is now, but I have an 8gb GTX 770 which runs everything I currently use without any problem. Is it still solid enough for Fallout 4 when I inevitably break down and buy it?

As long as you're not looking to max it out, you're probably okay.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Newegg usually starts their Black Friday sales the week of Black Friday, not on Black Friday. If you can, I would wait a week to see what they have. I know this sucks because you probably want to play Fallout as soon as possible.

Good point, I'll definitely consider that. The rig is four years old now and built around an old Phenom X6 processor so that's going to be my bottleneck anyway.

The dangerous thing about browsing Newegg is "a new mid range video card" turns into "let's build a new system altogether" very quickly. :v:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Previa_fun posted:

It's more that you're looking at a savings of a hundred dollars for a card that's less than two thirds as powerful. It won't explode, it's just not a very good value proposition.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Welp, this was a hosed up weekend. Kicked off Thursday by getting sick on the way home and not being able to open my door because of too much traffic on a narrow highway so my only option was into a bag that inevitably splashed onto the steering column and shorted out my turn signal so I got to drive home with a right blinker on, messed up clothes and a horrible stench. Got home and took a shower with those same clothes on to get the crap off them before hanging them up and going to sleep for the next 22 hours. Friday night I was feeling somewhat normal again so I got to do laundry, then grabbed some dinner with the other car.

Yesterday morning woke up, cleaned the thrown up in car, disinfected, etc.. Did some deep cleaning, everything was good.. Afternoon driving around, the blinker started clicking uncontrollably again. While I was sick, my fuel filter came in so today I was going to install that anyway, but I also had a side task of taking out the turn signal level and cleaning the plastic parts with soap and water, blowing them dry and cleaning the electronic components with isopropyl alcohol, put it back together and it works perfect, apparently my cleaning job yesterday got some disinfectant down into the electronics.

At least tonight is going to be good, finally going to be able to enjoy a nice meal of teriyaki salmon over rice with vegetables and black currant tea.. Tomorrow I get to see how well the blinker works since I'm making the trek into San Francisco with the Mini for a doctors appt. Hopefully I can bypass all the commute traffic bullshit, just going to zip in and zip back out, unfortunately where I need to go isn't off a bart line otherwise I'd just take the Pleasanton station in.

The Locator posted:

In all honesty, the graphics are next gen, but not really that next gen so a 770 should be just fine. I'm using a gtx 780 and running everything on ultra with 1080p.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I bought my first civic/tardis yesterday.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 16, 2015

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
tfw they realize Hanson is now "Classic Rock"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Previa_fun posted:

Sup Fallout Melting buddy. I haven't quite killed my card with it yet, but can barely run it and the textures look like rear end on it.
Also tried to run GTAV on my PC. That got some interesting results. :frog:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

Welp, this was a hosed up weekend. Kicked off Thursday by getting sick on the way home and not being able to open my door because of too much traffic on a narrow highway so my only option was into a bag that inevitably splashed onto the steering column and shorted out my turn signal

Holy gently caress. What did you eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

GTX 970 owner here, they're totally worth the price. I've got the 4gb EVGA 970 and it's a beast. Fallout 4 and GTA V on max settings at 1080p with no issues, that level of beast :v:

• Locked thread