Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
So I've had the 6P for the better part of a week now. Some things I've noticed that haven't really been mentioned here.

In additional to being colossal, it's really heavy. I keep my Nexus 5 around as a spare device and it's almost the perfect weight. I expected the 6P to be heavier but not by that much, even with the metal case. Even though it's solidly put together it feels more fragile due to the extra weight and it's the first phone I feel like I might drop. It doesn't feel bad in my pocket but I have to be extra-careful putting it in as I'm afraid I'm going to miss. I bought a tempered-glass screen protector for this reason. No case, though, it's already big enough.

I hold it in my left hand balanced on my pinky so I can raise it to hit the soft keys and lower it to reach the notifications. It works well enough but if I wrap my fingers all the way around the back for a good grip I lose a lot of reach with my thumb. I can type ok with one hand but I find myself using a second hand a lot to tap stuff that I could have done one-handed on my 5.

The screen is alright, I guess. It doesn't seem that much better than the 5 and whites get a green tint at off angles. The tint happens with both color modes in developer settings. It does get brighter and the blacks are nice and dark but it's not noticeable unless I'm comparing it to something else. I ran Awful side-by-side with the 5 and the 6P shows one more thread in the list. The extra screen space hasn't done anything for me but I don't watch videos on my phone.

The type C cable fits in it really well. The day I got it I picked it up while it was charging and it pulled the charger out of the wall socket. For now I'm charging it in another room at night and keeping my 5 as an alarm/bed phone because I'm so used to wireless charging. Battery life is just ok, maybe a little better than the 5. I really thought I would be getting a lot more based on reviews and what other people have mentioned here. It only needs to last a day and it does that with no trouble so not a big deal.

The main thing I was wowed by is the camera. It takes great pictures in every light and the shutter speed is so fast I didn't think it was taking pictures at first.

I had a bit of trouble with the fingerprint reader at first but I rescanned it after figuring out how to hold the phone and it's worked every single time after that.

It's a pretty good phone and I'm going to keep it but the size is a huge negative. Got all of my stuff on it. Glad I paid for more storage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's about 35% heavier than your Nexus 5. 6.2 ounces instead of 4.6. Which is right in line with the Nexus 6 and iPhone 6+. Sucks to hear you're not having great battery life, what kind of screen on time do you get?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I haven't run it all the way down yet, but around 4-5 hours going from the battery screen. My Nexus 5 would get about 4 with the same usage. I can't remember a single time I ran out of battery with the 5 so it's not a big deal.

Funky Bunkbed
Jul 27, 2007
You are now.

The Whiz Kid posted:

I recently switched from the iPhone 6+ to the Nexus 6P. One thing is really bothering me, though. On iOS, when you add a phonetic name to a contact, Siri will use that phonetic name as well. This way, it doesn't sound so weird when you ask her to call someone - she says the name correctly (at least, assuming YOU made the correct phonetic spelling). There is also a phonetic spelling field on Google Contacts. However, while it may help Android to know who I mean when I ask it to call someone, Google Now still uses the same broken pronunciation that made me add a phonetic name in the first place. Is there any way to alter the way the name is spoken back to me?

This was either lost or no one knows the answer. Figured I'd quote it once to make sure it wasn't the former! :)

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

butt dickus posted:

I haven't run it all the way down yet, but around 4-5 hours going from the battery screen. My Nexus 5 would get about 4 with the same usage. I can't remember a single time I ran out of battery with the 5 so it's not a big deal.

After two years of use, my Nexus 5 battery could barely make it past lunch. I know everyone's use case is different, but my 6P is getting 17 hours of regular use and still left with 50% or so. Amazing coming from my 5.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's now a handy app which lets you check whether your USB A-C cables are liable to kill your charger :eng101:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

beerinator posted:

After two years of use, my Nexus 5 battery could barely make it past lunch. I know everyone's use case is different, but my 6P is getting 17 hours of regular use and still left with 50% or so. Amazing coming from my 5.
I regretted not charging the N6P overnight on Thursday, but that was because I spent way too much time using it on Friday and still squeaked through the day. The battery life is damned impressive.

I still think wireless charging would have been good to include, but I can see why some people say quick charge is better. 20 minutes for a whole day's usage is nice to have.

Now we just need that speed in a wireless charger. I've already dropped the N6P several times (onto carpet) trying to grab it at night and getting it yanked out of my hands by the cord.

Speaking of which, any fast charging type-C 3rd party chargers available yet? The Google ones are expensive.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 15, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of which, any fast charging type-C 3rd party chargers available yet? The Google ones are expensive.

Yeah, plus the cable is integrated in the charger. I'm waiting for Anker to release their charger which has 3 USB A ports and one USB C port but it just says "coming soon" on their website.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Got my 6P in yesterday and I have been enjoying it so far, except for a couple things. First, I can't seem to unpack any .zip files; and secondly, no voicemail using Verizon as my carrier.

RAR app claims it does not have permission to decompress a folder of songs. Does any one know why this might be? I wasn't sure if one or two apps were causing this to misbehave so I went ahead and factory reset the phone, to no avail.

Another bad thing is apparently Verizon isn't supporting Voicemail on the 6P since it wasn't sold through them. I am switching to Cricket soon so hopefully that will fix the VM problem, but has anyone encountered the .zip issue? Why would this occur? Thanks goons

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

TenaciousTomato posted:

Got my 6P in yesterday and I have been enjoying it so far, except for a couple things. First, I can't seem to unpack any .zip files; and secondly, no voicemail using Verizon as my carrier.

RAR app claims it does not have permission to decompress a folder of songs. Does any one know why this might be? I wasn't sure if one or two apps were causing this to misbehave so I went ahead and factory reset the phone, to no avail.

Another bad thing is apparently Verizon isn't supporting Voicemail on the 6P since it wasn't sold through them. I am switching to Cricket soon so hopefully that will fix the VM problem, but has anyone encountered the .zip issue? Why would this occur? Thanks goons

You may need to manually allow the app to write in the permissions. Things not updated for marshmallow won't automatically ask as far as i recall.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Nondescript Van posted:

You may need to manually allow the app to write in the permissions. Things not updated for marshmallow won't automatically ask as far as i recall.

This was spot on. Thanks a bunch.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi quick question, I have a Moto X with Android 5.1 and every time I'm on a call I get a popup about mobile data being suspended while on the phone.

It's a really annoying extra dialogue box to go through when I'm driving and in the phone if I want to hang up or go to speaker or something.

It's not recent but I'm just really fed up. Is there a way to turn this off? I couldn't get Google to help on this...

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TenaciousTomato posted:

If a quick Google doesn't solve this issue other people have had luck integrating their voicemail into the dialer by using Google voice for their voicemail. (It's nearly seamless and relatively easy to setup)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

Hi quick question, I have a Moto X with Android 5.1 and every time I'm on a call I get a popup about mobile data being suspended while on the phone.

It's a really annoying extra dialogue box to go through when I'm driving and in the phone if I want to hang up or go to speaker or something.

It's not recent but I'm just really fed up. Is there a way to turn this off? I couldn't get Google to help on this...
-Open the dialer andial *#*#4636#*#*

-Go to Phone Information and choose Enable VoLTE Provisioned Flag

-Reboot

-Go to Settings > More > Cellular Networks and enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode. If it isn't there, reboot again, if it still isn't, go into the service menu and try enabling it again.

-Your phone now thinks that VoLTE is enabled (you don't unless your carrier has enabled it. For Verizon at least you have to add it as a free feature to your account) and will stop interrupting data when you're on a call but still fail over to 3G because VoLTE isn't available.

-Revel in the absurdity of having to go into a service menu to enable a switch to enable a feature that doesn't work to get rid of an error message that seems completely unrelated to the question you asked until you read the technical description of what it does and why it's relevant to the question you asked.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'm selling an almost brand new moto x pure edition in SA mart if anybody is interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751642

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

GWBBQ posted:

-Reboot

-Go to Settings > More > Cellular Networks and enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode. If it isn't there, reboot again, if it still isn't, go into the service menu and try enabling it again.

-Your phone now thinks that VoLTE is enabled (you don't unless your carrier has enabled it. For Verizon at least you have to add it as a free feature to your account) and will stop interrupting data when you're on a call but still fail over to 3G because VoLTE isn't available.

When I put the service code into the stock dialer, it just disappears as soon as I hit the last *. Nothing happens. What's this about?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What case should I get for my Nexus 6P? My friend recommended this one: http://www.amazon.com/Spigen%C2%AE-Rugged-Resilient-Ultimate-protection/dp/B016CBFBVI/ but I also not Diztronic is recommended here and I have one on the phone I'm replacing.

Also, are all my portable chargers useless now because this is USB type C?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 15, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GWBBQ posted:

-Reboot

-Revel in the absurdity of having to go into a service menu to enable a switch to enable a feature that doesn't work to get rid of an error message that seems completely unrelated to the question you asked until you read the technical description of what it does and why it's relevant to the question you asked.

At first I was thinking "The 2013 MotoX doesn't do advanced calling, why the gently caress are they having them try to enable it?!"

Then it all made sense because Verizon.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

KingKapalone posted:

Also, are all my portable chargers useless now because this is USB type C?

No, just use A to C cables.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Super Dude posted:

No, just use A to C cables.

Make sure to get the non-dangerous ones too. There have been a rash of cables that don't follow the specification for A-to-C.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3st6y4/google_engineer_says_to_stay_away_from_oneplus/

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

crazysim posted:

Make sure to get the non-dangerous ones too. There have been a rash of cables that don't follow the specification for A-to-C.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3st6y4/google_engineer_says_to_stay_away_from_oneplus/

Yeah, because of that I just played it safe and ordered one from Google.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My aunt has an iPhone on AT&T, and twice in the past month she's texted me, but it goes to my email as [her number]@att.com. Why does this happen?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hooah posted:

My aunt has an iPhone on AT&T, and twice in the past month she's texted me, but it goes to my email as [her number]@att.com. Why does this happen?

Might be some MMS related thing?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Because she is "texting" you at your email address and not your phone number.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kitten smoothie posted:

Because she is "texting" you at your email address and not your phone number.

How is she managing to do that? I'd be surprised if it's in purpose.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

hooah posted:

How is she managing to do that? I'd be surprised if it's in purpose.

You can enter email addresses instead of phone numbers when sending messages. She must have chosen that as the default contact or something.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
That's weird, using that app the official cable that came with my 5x is showing up as bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

On the Note 5 (and I'm assuming the S6 is the same), how do I take a screenshot if I turn off that swipe hand across screen interaction?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TraderStav posted:

That's weird, using that app the official cable that came with my 5x is showing up as bad.

The app is only for testing A to C cables, the 5X only comes with a C to C so I think you're doing it wrong.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CLAM DOWN posted:

On the Note 5 (and I'm assuming the S6 is the same), how do I take a screenshot if I turn off that swipe hand across screen interaction?

On the Note 5 I just take out the pen and either smart select, or if I need the whole screen just click screen write and save without writing anything. I have no idea if you can re-enable the normal Android shortcut. (I bet you can't!)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That menu for the S-Pen doesn't pop up if you use the Google Now Launcher like I switched (back) to :(

E: or if it does, I hosed something up in a setting somewhere!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

repiv posted:

The app is only for testing A to C cables, the 5X only comes with a C to C so I think you're doing it wrong.

Welp, you're completely right. Derp.

Which, on another note. I accidentally ordered a Micro-B to Micro-C.... any friggen use for this cable?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

TraderStav posted:

Welp, you're completely right. Derp.

Which, on another note. I accidentally ordered a Micro-B to Micro-C.... any friggen use for this cable?

Charging other devices using your new phone's battery?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

That menu for the S-Pen doesn't pop up if you use the Google Now Launcher like I switched (back) to :(

E: or if it does, I hosed something up in a setting somewhere!

The pen menu should still pop up if you press the pen's button while hovering over the screen. Pressing the power and home buttons together should take a screenshot as well.

It's worth noting that the pen not only lets you take screenshots of just part of the screen, it'll also let you take screenshots that are multiple screens long such as a thread or conversation.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Desk Lamp posted:

The pen menu should still pop up if you press the pen's button while hovering over the screen. Pressing the power and home buttons together should take a screenshot as well.

It's worth noting that the pen not only lets you take screenshots of just part of the screen, it'll also let you take screenshots that are multiple screens long such as a thread or conversation.

Just tried the power+home shortcut and it works. Why wouldn't they just keep it the normal Android default?? This company.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Charging other devices using your new phone's battery?

Didn't know that was a feature, kind of fringe case but at least there's a purpose. =/

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

BottleKnight posted:

Just tried the power+home shortcut and it works. Why wouldn't they just keep it the normal Android default?? This company.

I'd tell you it's because for the longest time whatever they did was the de facto Android default but we all know it's cause that's how you take screenshots on an iPhone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

There was no normal default when they added that feature - vanilla Android didn't get on-device screenshot capture until 4.0 :eyepop:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone using a Nexus 5X and having bluetooth just destroy their battery life? It's far and away the highest consumer of my battery life. I have a fit bit, so maybe that syncing all day is killing my battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

On my new Nexus 6P I have the "OK Google..." hotword set to fire at any time, including when the phone is locked.

I would swear to you up and down that last week it was working with no trouble. However, for the past few days the hotword has only reliably worked when my device is unlocked and sitting on the home screen.

I can say it a dozen times to my locked device or when an app is open and nothing happens, but reliably it works first try on the home screen.

Any idea what gives?

And today the play/pause button on my headphones is causing the phone to start listening, as if I had said "OK Google".

It started doing this as I was walking through an airport, I had been using the play/pause function without incident.

This feels utterly goddamn arbitrary and is infuriating. What the hell is going on?