Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's great to go into Higurashi blind. So many people get spoiled by the anime or I dunno, internet osmosis, and they really miss out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, when I first heard about it I thought it was about a plague or something. Not crazy people drugging other people and then they murder eachother with a baseball bat then commit suicide in a phone booth.

So far, I preferred what I played of Umineko (Only halfway through chapter 3) because the characters were a bit more interesting and the narrative device was a bit more interesting post chapter 1. Higurashi probably doesn't use a similar style, and I'm expecting Less Groundhog Day, more Endless Eight but with significant changes in key events. A mystery just for the player, not for the characters involved.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Completed my Norn9 review: http://www.knightime.net/2015/11/14/norn9-var-commons/

It was OK. I only liked Naruhiko, Akito, and Itsuki and the time travel felt really random. Art is nice and has a lot of CGs. My gameplay order was Makiko>Nanami>Koharu. I hope they release the FD so I can fill in all those plot holes.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Clannad is coming out on Nov 23rd on Steam.

That is all.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I pirated CLANNAD years ago with the 99.9% complete patch, so I am obligated to purchase it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is the umineko manga worth reading though, maybe as a supplement to the visual novel?

50 volumes is a lot

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd say no, except for EP8's which actually did add some interesting content.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It doesn't tell the story any better, but it's not bad or anything and it's fun to see things drawn out. Art varies a lot from one part to the next.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Higurashi is great and anyone who hasn't played it yet owes it to themselves to get it now. It absolutely nails the feeling of paranoia and distrust in a way that hits home pretty hard. Still have no clue about what the solution to the mystery is, but its been a pretty great ride up until now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do be warned that it will take like seven years for all that to be released in english, unless you watch the anime or read the horribly translated version

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Higurashi is great and anyone who hasn't played it yet owes it to themselves to get it now. It absolutely nails the feeling of paranoia and distrust in a way that hits home pretty hard. Still have no clue about what the solution to the mystery is, but its been a pretty great ride up until now.

Ah, this sounds like a good one to play after I finish Steins;Gate. I don't think I've played a VN of that genre yet.

I've been continuing playing Steins;Gate, and it is really great. The highs aren't necessarily higher than Fate/Stay Night, but the quality is far more consistent overall, so I would say that it's even better. I'm trying to get my friends to play it, but no luck so far (none of them play any VNs).

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Steins;Gate is probably my favorite VN overall. Sort of curious about the other stuff in that series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Chaos;Head isn't as good despite an interesting premise of having a completely detestable schizophrenic MC, Robotics;Note is just kind of boring and Chaos;Child is good but is more or less a direct sequel to Chaos;Head.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Do be warned that it will take like seven years for all that to be released in english, unless you watch the anime or read the horribly translated version

Rumor on the grapevine is that the first 4 are taking forever due to a crappy original translation that has to be fixed from the ground up. The latter 4 should come out quicker, hopefully. And while the bonus chapters will be nice to have I'm not really looking forward to them as much as the main 8.

But where the heck is Umineko? Hopefully they're not doing something insane like waiting to get all of Higurashi out first.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Robotics;Note is just kind of boring and Chaos;Child is good but is more or less a direct sequel to Chaos;Head.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was pretty boring for a mecha show.

I tried a few other popular PC VNs but I lost interest quickly midway through the stories.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Volt Catfish posted:

They did do two this year, they can probably do another 3 next year and then after that (chapters 4-8) the translation isn't nearly as bad so hopefully they'll release them even faster. I'm moderately more hopeful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I tried a few other popular PC VNs but I lost interest quickly midway through the stories.

I find that most protagonists are extremely boring and they often also try to seriously set up multiple romance routes (to the detriment of the rest of the game). Part of what makes Steins;Gate good is that, while multiple routes technically exist, it's super obvious who the actual love interest is supposed to be and little effort is put towards trying to make the others seem viable. It also has a much more compelling protagonist than other VNs.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I find that most protagonists are extremely boring and they often also try to seriously set up multiple romance routes (to the detriment of the rest of the game). Part of what makes Steins;Gate good is that, while multiple routes technically exist, it's super obvious who the actual love interest is supposed to be and little effort is put towards trying to make the others seem viable. It also has a much more compelling protagonist than other VNs.

:agreed:

I feel like a lot of VNs would have been improved upon if the MC didn't have romance routes for everyone just because it starts to get draggy after the 5th replay. It might make more sense to focus on one theme and have it optional if it makes sense to the plot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ah. I was well aware the translation for the first 4 Higurashi episodes was godawful and they also mutilated the music and sound effects (for no discernible reason? Isn't the loving music for the early episodes all public domain?) but I didn't know they handled the answer arcs better. That's good at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's not to say that the answer arcs couldn't use some QC work and general clean up, but I remember they were pretty much fine whereas the first four chapters were barely acceptable. Depends upon how far they're willing to go with this re-translation work, for all I know they're going to commit to re-doing all of the chapters from the ground up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

What music did they decide on for the new releases, by the way? I know for the original release there were patches for the original music, the ds music, the ps2 version's music....there's so much music for Higurashi.

v: Gotcha, thanks for the info!

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 16, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
These past two chapters didn't change any music or FX as I understand it (at least, MangaGamer advertised them as such). All of the music files are out there in the open anyway so it'd be incredibly easy to fix/mod them if necessary.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Thanks thread for convincing me to get code realize. It's good.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

numerrik posted:

Thanks thread for convincing me to get code realize. It's good.

:golfclap:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jesus, I forgot about the part in Steins;Gate where Amane goes back to 1975 and loses her memories and only regains them in 2000 and realizes she failed to get the IBN 5100 and commits suicide. That was heartbreaking. :(

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Clannad is out and 15% off for the first week. $43 is still pretty steep, I know, but let's support Key so they send more/all their stuff our way.

Update: And it appears to be floating around 2nd or 3rd in the Top Sellers which is nice.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 24, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Definitely don't go with the default resolution it starts with, assuming it grabs your desktop resolution by default like it did for me. It definitely looks a lot better at 1280x960 and just scaled up. Also, the game looks really nice. It's been too long since I played Full Voice but to my eye it definitely looks better now which makes sense since IIRC they got better art assets for this release.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So I know it's not very liked here, but for whatever reason Amnesia(tm)Memories is on sale for 3$ on WinGameStore:
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/4950/Amnesia-Memories/

This seems a bit extreme for something that just came out two months ago?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well, extreme or not I grabbed it. Thanks for the info!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Sorry double posting to say that there's a ton of VNs on sale for the Steam Fall Sale.

Anyone have any opinions on:
Eden*
Fruit of Grisaia
Little Witch Romanesque?

I was considering grabbing those three.
Might hold off on Grisaia though since it's the most expensive (still $20) and it might be better to wait for the whole trilogy to be out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I greatly enjoyed Fruit of Grisaia and I hope the sequels come out soon.

Some of the routes are super loving long but most of them were quite enjoyable more or less most of the time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Norn9 has doge memes.
Why did no one warn me.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

All games have doge memes now, welcome to the future of localization.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tamba posted:

All games have doge memes now, welcome to the future of localization.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It turns out I'm very interested in being told a story about what it's actually like to be a high school student in Japan in the real world. Is there anything like that out there? There's obviously all kinds of visual novels and other things set in and around schools, but it's always either a romanticized caricature of the real thing, or it's irrelevant to what the story is actually about, or both.

I realise I'd be better off looking at nonfiction rather than video games, but it would be such a pleasant surprise to play a game like that that I'm asking anyway.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

There's Tokimeki and Persona for HS sims.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been playing G-Senjou no Maou and it's super good so far. I was worried when I started that this one thing I knew was some giant spoiler, but it turns out that it's supposed to be super obvious from very early on and is more or less explicitly stated in chapter 2. I'm almost at the end of chapter 2 now, and Tsubaki's personality change is really interesting and unsettling. The protagonist is also very unique and interesting for a variety of reasons. Haru also recently directly stated that Azai is Maou, so I'm extremely curious about where the plot is going to go from here and how in the world Haru is going to not hate you later on, seeing as she's one of the main heroines..

I want work to end so I can go home and find out what happens next :(

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
It's a pretty good story. I had some issues with the last chapter and the ending, but they weren't bad enough to retroactively sour me on the game.

As a note I never actually did any of the side branches, just the main route. I think the usual opinion is that they're short and not really worth the effort?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember right they are not worth doing at all unless you do them before doing the final/true route, because they will pale in comparison to what goes down there. If you do them afterwards it will feel like a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

It turns out I'm very interested in being told a story about what it's actually like to be a high school student in Japan in the real world. Is there anything like that out there? There's obviously all kinds of visual novels and other things set in and around schools, but it's always either a romanticized caricature of the real thing, or it's irrelevant to what the story is actually about, or both.

I realise I'd be better off looking at nonfiction rather than video games, but it would be such a pleasant surprise to play a game like that that I'm asking anyway.

its chinese but i've seen a lot of raving about this game, idk how hung up you are on the japanese school part rather than just realistic school vn (nor do i know if its actually any good)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/347620/