Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

That's like the definition of horrible person.

Eh, not really. Most of the guys I'm talking about are good sportsmen and fun people - they just want to be as 'competitive' as possible, which naturally includes bringing the hardest list possible, something which is common across all wargames with an army points system. The horrible thing is the rules/game itself, which incentivizes that sort of thing over solid tactics and cool units being balanced against each other in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Genghis Cohen posted:

Eh, not really. Most of the guys I'm talking about are good sportsmen and fun people - they just want to be as 'competitive' as possible, which naturally includes bringing the hardest list possible, something which is common across all wargames with an army points system. The horrible thing is the rules/game itself, which incentivizes that sort of thing over solid tactics and cool units being balanced against each other in a vacuum.

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. Make no mistake--Buffalo Chicken doesn't field poo poo armies and he doesn't play to lose. I haven't won a game against him yet. He's not bringing top-tier tournament lists. but he's not fielding garbage, either.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got some Victoria Miniatures Guthrie Female Heads in the mail yesterday. Time to make some female space marines and piss a few people off.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nothing wrong with wanting to win. Make no mistake--Buffalo Chicken doesn't field poo poo armies and he doesn't play to lose. I haven't won a game against him yet. He's not bringing top-tier tournament lists. but he's not fielding garbage, either.
I'll bring my Catachan next time - last two games with them I got tabled (thanks SRM!!!).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

BuffaloChicken posted:

Since some goons are being incredible and helping me get a few Scrunts for my Scruntswarm army, here's some photos of the army that all new adopted Scrunts will be joining. Think of your minis being adopted and going to live on a happy farm where everyone is lovingly converted, painted, and gets to play with other happy minis all the time.

I sold a Dark Eldar army to someone from France about ten years ago, still blows my mind that those figurines are out there right now. Or maybe he burned his own house down, maybe they got bloweded-uppy, who knows!

Festive? Chrimbus themed? You lied to us, those aren't scrunts, they're elves!

ALSO: after reading your batrep I remembered about the modest thing I sent to you, thank YOU for the warm feelings I get knowing that those bits I had no use for are on such badass models. Two or three other people asked for bits and 1) my bits are in many scattered boxes 2) too busy with work and getting right (feels good, man). Still, once things get sorted I will gladly hand out more bits and doodads. I'm back, baby, really sweet to see how amazing your games with your brother are.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 16, 2015

Germ
May 7, 2013

BuffaloChicken, you live on the wrong godsdamned coast. Go west, young man, go west. Gorgeous stuff, as usual.

Hey, do you have any pics/links to your super-cool wraithknight build? Searched for them, but the old links are dead.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Thanks everyone for the positive posts - I'll try to post good battle photos more often. A lot of my recent games have been with my friends who are still new to the hobby, so lots of unpainted models on boards of varying quality. But slowly they're getting more and more complete, so good photos will come.

Germ posted:

BuffaloChicken, you live on the wrong godsdamned coast. Go west, young man, go west. Gorgeous stuff, as usual.

Hey, do you have any pics/links to your super-cool wraithknight build? Searched for them, but the old links are dead.
I spent a few years working in California and Arizona - guess the timing wasn't right!

Had a WIP Wraithknight shot saved on my computer, so just uploaded it for you. Not actually a super-hard conversion - I reversed the knee joints, rotated the torso, stuffed it with tinfoil and wedged a toy Droid Fighter head in backwards, pinned the fins down the center back (instead of behind the shoulders), cut the arms at the eldows and glued the guns on, then added a few details.

That sounds like a lot, but none of it was really complicated. Google "Armourcast Revenant Scout Titan" to see what I was trying to emulate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of conversions and such, does anyone know any arms that work well with the Fantasy Wildwood Rangers?
I've come to realize that Cadian arms aren't all that great for them because of the scale differences between WHFB and 40k kits and the only thing I can seem to find that might work is the Rolled sleeve arms from Victoria Miniatures. Just wondering if anyone know of any better alternatives than those as I want to avoid an excessive amount of cutting and green stuffing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks everyone for the positive posts - I'll try to post good battle photos more often. A lot of my recent games have been with my friends who are still new to the hobby, so lots of unpainted models on boards of varying quality. But slowly they're getting more and more complete, so good photos will come.

I'll have a full table worth of painted terrain by the next time we game. I'm making good progress on buildings right now, plus I brought up some stuff from my folks' place last time I was down there. We should organize a hobby hang-out at Necron Bro's place sometime to paint his sweet MDF terrain.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll have a full table worth of painted terrain by the next time we game. I'm making good progress on buildings right now, plus I brought up some stuff from my folks' place last time I was down there. We should organize a hobby hang-out at Necron Bro's place sometime to paint his sweet MDF terrain.
For sure - he's planning on cutting some add-on bits to alleviate the blocky look of the current functional terrain. Mostly squared-off pyramid corner pieces and "coffin-lid" shaped Necron cartouches for the flat spaces. After he prints those and glues them on we should definitely do a terrain day.

Plus your board needs to be played on again, especially after I drop off the alpine trees.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

For sure - he's planning on cutting some add-on bits to alleviate the blocky look of the current functional terrain. Mostly squared-off pyramid corner pieces and "coffin-lid" shaped Necron cartouches for the flat spaces. After he prints those and glues them on we should definitely do a terrain day.

Plus your board needs to be played on again, especially after I drop off the alpine trees.

The biggest issue right now with his table/scenery I think is the lack of large, elevated spaces. I love the buildings he's got and the walkways, but there's only one large central building that has a lot of space for models--the walkways are neat, but they don't have cover nor room for models to really interact. He needs another 2-3 large, flat buildings at different elevations. What he's got now is awesome, though.

For everyone else's benefit, here's a shot of the board from the game we played on Friday night. Daemonkin and Eldar (Star Wars proxies) vs. Necrons and Orks.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
How about adding a few guardrails to the walkways? They'd add a bit of cover when fighting on different elevations and add a great reason to get up there. Bet that table will look fantastic once it's done!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So the planning for my annual nerd tournament is beginning. They've got three separate events to participate in that I need to plan for--a "classic" tournament using a standard FOC with no additions (:wth:), a team tournament, and finally an 1850pts game using up to three army selections (CAD, Allied, Decurion, Formation) which can include up to one double. I will likely be bringing Tyranids for the classic and the 1850pt game, but I need to work out how I want to swing it. I ran the Skyblight Formation and a standard Leviathan CAD last time which worked fairly well, though the Gargoyles didn't really achieve all that much. I'm considering if I should change things up. If I want to go insane I could run six Flying Hive Tyrants with a double Leviathan CAD, but I'm thinking of going a little more balanced with either five and a few more support gribblies or reworking my last year's list a touch and trying it again. I had a hell of a time with the two Eldar lists I fought due to a billion Wraithknights but now that they're LOW I doubt I'll be seeing as many.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Huh. "Classic". Sad but necessary.

Sounds like a blast and bit for every style of play.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Shame that game was so one sided Buffchix, but it looked drat good while it was going down.

The idea of a "classic" event sounds like a good way to keep some of the craziness out of control with this game, and it probably wouldn't be as unpopular as a more traditional comp system. I'd have no objections to playing a "classic" event, since that's how most of my 40k games go anyway.

Also I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for this unit of 30 grots and friends, it's so close

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Also I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for this unit of 30 grots and friends, it's so close
I did the same once with a unit of 30 gaunts. I understand your pain. :shepface:

After that experience, I'll only do batches of 10, tops.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
As someone who has done 30 Gaunts and 30 Gargoyles, never again. :suicide:

One of the reasons why this tourny is going to be so less stressful is all my poo poo is painted... unless I want to go 5-6 Hive Tyrants.

Also, slowing working my way back into getting regular games. Managed to table someone on a 1250pt Nids vs. Nids throwdown. It was a pretty equal list matchup, all said. I brought a "friendly" list of 2 FHTs, a Hive Crone, Tervigon, 30 Termagants, 2 Zoanthropes, a Venomthrope, and a Toxicrene. He brought 2 FHTs, a Hive Crone, 30 Termagants, 3 Warriors, a Mawloc, and a Tyrannofex. The dice gods were... not in his favor. The first loss was his own mistake, having elected to go first and then deploy his Hive Crone outside of cover in range of my Tyrants. Everything else was just him getting the wrong side of the dice. His failed both his Reserve rolls for his Mawloc and failed two Grounding checks on the same turn, one for each Hive Tyrant. The one immediately took the remaining wounds in Devourer and Fleshborers and the other flew off, never to be seen again as the game ended before it could return to the table.

The kicker was at the end of my turn, top of Round 4, he only had three Termagants in close combat with my Hive Crone with a single wound remaining. I joked offhandedly that at least he'd get to see his Mawloc and Hive Tyrant on the table since there was no way my WS3 3A model was going to kill all three targets... :rolldice: 3 6s to hit, all 2+ to wound. Completely tabled and he hadn't killed a single unit of mine. BAD END

It was a fun game but drat, it was bad enough that I was apologizing to him for crushing him so badly. Does anyone else feel obligated to do that?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 16, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As someone who has 60 SM Minotaurs ahead of him, might as well just shoot myself now.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've felt obligated to apologize to my opponents on a few instances when I was slamming them too badly. Usually their Terminators will mishap and get a 1 and I'll say they can reroll that if they want to out of good sportsmanship, since I know how lovely it is when you don't even get to play with your toys.

ijyt posted:

As someone who has 60 SM Minotaurs ahead of him, might as well just shoot myself now.
60 dudes isn't bad, just painting more than 10 at a time is! I used to do batches of Valhallans in 20-30 but since they were all the same handful of colors it wasn't awful.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I dunno, 60 minotaurs sounds daunting at any pace.

They're the harlequins of marines.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 16, 2015

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ignite Memories posted:

If you use that scheme, sure. Their FW releases are a really nifty bronze colour.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

I've felt obligated to apologize to my opponents on a few instances when I was slamming them too badly. Usually their Terminators will mishap and get a 1 and I'll say they can reroll that if they want to out of good sportsmanship, since I know how lovely it is when you don't even get to play with your toys.

60 dudes isn't bad, just painting more than 10 at a time is! I used to do batches of Valhallans in 20-30 but since they were all the same handful of colors it wasn't awful.

It's less the Minotaurs and more knowing I'll have all my Tau and Infinity and Malifaux to paint in schemes that aren't super easy (though boring) to paint! :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Oh my god, I need one dude painted up like that in my army.

"Huh? Wah? Bronze? :confused:"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

If they still looked like that I'd be so happy, but now they're usually just bronze with some red accents. They made them Space Spartans essentially. The new scheme looks nice but I love the old scheme that makes your eyes vibrate.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am so glad that Salamanders are loving easy to paint. Everything's green. Done.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

If they still looked like that I'd be so happy, but now they're usually just bronze with some red accents. They made them Space Spartans essentially. The new scheme looks nice but I love the old scheme that makes your eyes vibrate.

Ah well, at least there's still the Fire Hawks and Howling Griffons for that :)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

ijyt posted:

I'm doing one, only in bronze and red/black stripes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If a transport is destroyed in an enemy shooting phase can the unit inside assault? Or must it wait until the next turn?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

If a transport is destroyed in an enemy shooting phase can the unit inside assault? Or must it wait until the next turn?
You're good to go as long as the unit didn't get pinned by its transport being blown up. That's still a thing, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

The unit can only assault if the vehicle was an Assault vehicle (including open-topped). If you had your Land Raider blow up, great. If you were in a Rhino, enjoy standing in the open and weeping while firing your bolter on full-auto.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm doing one, only in bronze and red/black stripes

This is a cool idea and might steal it for my sergeants/captains.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

The unit can only assault if the vehicle was an Assault vehicle (including open-topped). If you had your Land Raider blow up, great. If you were in a Rhino, enjoy standing in the open and weeping while firing your bolter on full-auto.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Eat my gently caress, Hixson

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Shame that game was so one sided Buffchix, but it looked drat good while it was going down.

The idea of a "classic" event sounds like a good way to keep some of the craziness out of control with this game, and it probably wouldn't be as unpopular as a more traditional comp system. I'd have no objections to playing a "classic" event, since that's how most of my 40k games go anyway.

It's hard for me to get on board with classic when some armies, like my Khorne Daemonkin, are really dependent on the extra rules from the Blood Host Detachment and its formations. :-\

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

The banter between you four is the best part of this thread.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Is Helen Highwater still around? He doesn't have PMs.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ijyt posted:

When you wake up with your power-armor painted bronze because the Tech Marine wanted to revenge prank you. Don't talk up his chick at the promethium drinking party, bro, don't do it.

BULBASAUR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyOyWMvYsdU

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 17, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
So because I'm a crazy person I'm considering this for an Ally list for my team-tournament list:

HQ:
Techpriest Dominus 110pts

Troops:
3x Kataphron Breacher 150pts

3x Kataprhon Destroyer 165pts

3x Kataphron Destroyer 165pts

Heavy Support:
Kastelan Robot Maniple 310pts
++2x Twin-linked Heavy Phosphor Blaster

Fortification:
Aegis Defence Line 50pts
++Quad-gun 50pts

Total Points: 1000pts

Not super-great against horde, but should be pretty solid against most else. Bonus points for a low model count which should make painting faster. For the team list you can only have one FOC otherwise I'd consider doing a mix of Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

We won by like 30 points. Doesn't matter kido

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was denied the pleasure of making you remove 10 well painted plastic models from the table

It's the only positive reinforcement I have left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I approve of this cheating. War of lies bitch :hawksin:

• Locked thread