Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I typically find liberal comedians with a massive hateboner for the PC Police to be way more grating than right wing comedians who feel the same way.

Maybe it's just the "cultural gatekeeping" of the left that puts me off. I find Bill Maher and Seth MacFarlane to be completely annoying. But I still have a somewhat positive opinion of the South Park guys for example. Maybe citing Trey Parker and Matt Stone as conservative comedians is unfair because they're actually often funny.

Uhh... I like Mike Judge... he's kind of conservative and libertarian also I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe it's just the "cultural gatekeeping" of the left that puts me off. I find Bill Maher and Seth MacFarlane to be completely annoying. But I still have a somewhat positive opinion of the South Park guys for example. Maybe citing Trey Parker and Matt Stone as conservative comedians is unfair because they're actually often funny.

The problem with saying "conservatives can't be funny" or whatever else is it doesn't really allow the fact that a person's individual politics rarely fit in one side's box. MacFarlane is really proud (and often smug) to be left leaning, but he is also a giant white guy who doesn't get why women wouldn't want him singing about seeing their tits to their faces at the Oscars.

Parker and Stone are kind of libertarian, but mostly just like saying the truth is always in the middle. It's hard to tell what their actual beliefs are. They did some real lovely things about transgender people, but then seemed to change their minds and did an episode with some actual nuance to it. But now they're apparently doing a whole season whining about PC culture.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Practical Demon posted:

There was also Red Eye, a late night panel show on Fox News that tried to cash in on Daily Show style topical humor. Don't know if it's still a thing.

That reminds me, what was the name of the show Fox news had that was trying to copy the daily show, that had jokes like Barack Obama = B.O which is also BODY ODOR!
I remember it was so bad they had to pay people to watch it and it still had empty seats.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Conservative comedian? Here you go, enjoy. Please watch the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaE98w1KZ-c

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 8, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Smoothrich posted:

Conservative comedian? Here you go, enjoy. Please watch the whole thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDb3sTwD_vA

I skipped around and didn't see any attempt at comedy, just ranting and dementia.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

I typically find liberal comedians with a massive hateboner for the PC Police to be way more grating than right wing comedians who feel the same way.

Uhh... I like Mike Judge... he's kind of conservative and libertarian also I guess.
I'm not sure what you mean. You can't be liberal and anti-PC. That just makes you a libertarian with bad taste. And it always shows.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

coyo7e posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't be liberal and anti-PC. That just makes you a libertarian with bad taste. And it always shows.

There's a lot like Patton Oswalt or Dan Harmon that pride themselves on being super liberal but go off on hour long Twitter rants if anyone says they don't like rape jokes or the word "retard". But they make certain to keep letting you know how liberal they are as they do it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

Taste is subjective and all, but man, claiming Parker and Stone as being "often funny"... woof. I'd definitely put them in the same camp as Seth MacFarlane, they certainly attempt the same "humor."
I mean, maybe 15 years ago or so, but I also liked Family Guy back then so I'm not sure if they were actually funny or if it was just that I was 19 and their off-color brand was still shocking and edgy to me, rather than moldy and played-out.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Book of Mormon seemed to be pretty funny and was remarkably not mean-spirited for a satire on religion. Then again, BoM premiered in 2011 so I guess we're already well beyond whatever honeymoon period of goodwill the creators had with that.

I'll admit I haven't seen that much South Park since college, but I always thought it was slightly more nuanced than people give it credit for. It was a little bit more than "the truth is in middle" that people who hate on the show parrot about it. (Though not much. I don't want overstate it. It obviously falls into the same traps that makes other faux anti-establishment libertarian "humor" intolerable.) And that its writing had more commitment to plotting and joke construction than Family Guy.

John Oliver needs to hurry up and pump out a new episode of LWT so I can stop being part of the problem with thread derails.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

coyo7e posted:

PC Police = Thought Police

"The Thought Police (thinkpol in Newspeak) are the secret police of the fictional superstate, Oceania, in George Orwell's 1949 dystopian novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four. Orwell's Thought Police are charged with uncovering and punishing "thoughtcrime" and thought-criminals. They use psychological methods and omnipresent surveillance (such as telescreens) to search, find, monitor, and arrest members of society who could potentially challenge authority and the status quo—even if only by thought—hence the name Thought Police. They use terror and torture to achieve their ends. Orwell's concept of "thought policing" derived from and had much to do with his own "power of facing unpleasant facts", as he referred to it, and his willingness to criticize society's prevailing ideas—which often brought him into conflict with others and what he called their "smelly little orthodoxies"

Thank you for demonstrating in plain terms that all liberals support an authoritarian Nazi-Communist Hitler/Stalin oppression-state where words and thoughts are punishable by torture and death. Being anti-PC means you are pro-freedom, so if you can't be anti-PC and be a liberal, it means All Liberals Hate Freedom

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

PC Police = Thought Police

"The Thought Police (thinkpol in Newspeak) are the secret police of the fictional superstate, Oceania, in George Orwell's 1949 dystopian novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four. Orwell's Thought Police are charged with uncovering and punishing "thoughtcrime" and thought-criminals. They use psychological methods and omnipresent surveillance (such as telescreens) to search, find, monitor, and arrest members of society who could potentially challenge authority and the status quo—even if only by thought—hence the name Thought Police. They use terror and torture to achieve their ends. Orwell's concept of "thought policing" derived from and had much to do with his own "power of facing unpleasant facts", as he referred to it, and his willingness to criticize society's prevailing ideas—which often brought him into conflict with others and what he called their "smelly little orthodoxies"

Thank you for demonstrating in plain terms that all liberals support an authoritarian Nazi-Communist Hitler/Stalin oppression-state where words and thoughts are punishable by torture and death. Being anti-PC means you are pro-freedom, so if you can't be anti-PC and be a liberal, it means All Liberals Hate Freedom

The Great Unmedicated One is Johnny Appleseeding his way through the subforums I see.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/here-are-7-times-john-oliver-perfectly-captured-whats-wrong-with-america-and-triggered-reform/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here Are 16.3 MIND-BLOWING Reasons Why I Am Not Clicking That

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Here Are 16.3 MIND-BLOWING Reasons Why I Am Not Clicking That

... and what you did next will melt our hearts.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

tarlibone posted:

... and what you did next will melt our hearts.

Number 4 will SHOCK YOU.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I would actually love it if one week the topic was clickbait and the Buzzfeed-like sites that profit from curiosity of the inane.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Clickbait is one of those things that are annoying and okay to make fun of until you realize the kind of people who really get irrationally mad at them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Echo Chamber posted:

Clickbait is one of those things that are annoying and okay to make fun of until you realize the kind of people who really get irrationally mad at them.

They're terrible dude

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It's literally a single page with a list of 7 things, not a 7 page monstrosity.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I really liked the personal touch with tonight's episode. Bilal is a brave man, for all the wrong reasons. :smith:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

adhuin posted:

It's literally a single page with a list of 7 things, not a 7 page monstrosity.

Sometimes it's 7 pages with one thing on each one and a slide show thing you're forced to click through! The horror!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

hcreight posted:

I really liked the personal touch with tonight's episode. Bilal is a brave man, for all the wrong reasons. :smith:

Yeah, I really hope he come out of this ahead.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Timett posted:

Sometimes it's 7 pages with one thing on each one and a slide show thing you're forced to click through! The horror!

You might be joking but a list that you have to click through has made me exit out of many web pages because its pretty annoying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Perhaps if the link had been shared in a way that was not so unlike that of a fake russian chick who posts listicles to dog site to a dog breed page, despite not owning a dog..

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
This episode contained references to a hog, the Queen, and loving something inappropriate in the distant past, and not a single mention of David Cameron? For shame, LWT :colbert:

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

I noticed that despite the amount of times he's mentioned it, the globe behind the interview table doesn't even have New Zealand on it. Shame on you, John Oliver! (or your set builder, or whatever)

Really, it's quite a large island. How do so many maps just leave it out?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's not important.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Laverna posted:

I noticed that despite the amount of times he's mentioned it, the globe behind the interview table doesn't even have New Zealand on it. Shame on you, John Oliver! (or your set builder, or whatever)

gently caress new zealand

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Laverna posted:

It's a map of Earth, not Middle Earth.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Take a map of Italy, turn it upside down... boom. New Zealand.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Maybe they're just setting up for a future "a place you think so little about" gag.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The world's going to poo poo now.

But John Oliver is a dad now.

And it seems like there's only two more episodes this season.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He didn't even birth the child on his bathroom floor? For shame, John!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That closing sketch might have been the darkest thing Seth Rogen has done since Observe and Report, and it couldn't have been directed at a better target.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
DraftKing and FanDuel advertisements are constant and insidious, and I can't wait until they're forced into "fly-by-night offshore operation" status.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Ama request: Janice From Accounting

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how Seth lost it in the credits with "I think it just died!"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Janice in Accounting jokes have gotten to be loving hilarious.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Also, was the guy who appeared just before Seth Rogen Mike Birbiglia? I think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Timett posted:

Ama request: Janice From Accounting

Never going to happen. You know she don't give a gently caress.

• Locked thread