Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMgkGesoVI

Here's the full video with more rat tricks.
THE DUNKSI :myballs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've had all sorts of rodents in my life.
Once, while having two rats and one hamster in separate cages, the more affectionate rat would break out of his cage for the sole purpose of getting in the hamster cage and cuddling :3:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Back in the Spring, my wife and I visited a local sanctuary for abused farm animals- Ralphy's Retreat. I forgot to post up the photos in this here thread, so here's the Imgur gallery if anyone wants to take a look.

We'll be returning to the sanctuary in the near future to help them build some new enclosures and sheltering for the animals (occupancy at the sanctuary is growing at an alarming rate), so if there's any interest we'll post up more piggy photos once we go back there for a work day. :3:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Inzombiac posted:

I've had all sorts of rodents in my life.
Once, while having two rats and one hamster in separate cages, the more affectionate rat would break out of his cage for the sole purpose of getting in the hamster cage and cuddling :3:

According to wikipedia, rats that escape their cages in lab tests will stick around to help others get out of their own, and when presented with the option to share food, most will do so almost reflexively.

They're pretty great.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

bobjr posted:

That's amazing. When I saw the thing with the eyeglass case I said "YOU'RE SHITTIN' ME!" :3:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
An internet acquaintance of mine maintains a hamster blog. One of her favorite little guys died recently, and I was reminded of this funny post involving him from a while back:

quote:

So, last week we went out of town for 4 days. We arranged to have a pet sitter come over to check on the hamsters while we were out of town so that we could be assured everyone would be alright. As we always do, we also attached a water bottle to the leg of a table, and left out a bowl of food just in case there was an escape. We assumed an escape wouldn't happen since it has probably been about a year since our last minor escape, but better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately, there was an escape while we were gone as we came home to Tabitha in George's aquarium. They were both asleep. Upon further inspection of our basement we deduced that while we were gone Tabitha escaped her 40 gallon aquarium. She ate the bowl of food, drank the water, and then chewed a hole in our 40 pound bag of hamster food. Finally, she climbed into George's 29 gallon aquarium. Yes, she apparently scaled the side of a glass aquarium.

I imagine it went something like this: Tabitha escapes, Tabitha find 40 pound bag of food, Tabitha eats 40 pound bag of food, Tabitha goes into heat, Tabitha huffs and puffs around the basement (they making huffing sounds when they are in heat calling out for boys, and Tabitha is always the loudest), George is asleep, Tabitha smells a boy, Tabitha scales his aquarium and probably lands on his still sleeping head, Tabitha bites George, Tabitha mates with George, George is still confused, Tabitha eats all of George's food, drinks his water, sleeps in his nest. Meanwhile George curls up behind the wheel wondering what just happened and why this lady hamster took over his cage. The sex was good, but he is still confused. George is a very confused and lazy hamster.

RIP, George. :(

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

bobjr posted:

Oh wow, that was amazing and adorable! My favourite part was the hopping when one fetched the pink ball :3:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could you link to the blog, I think I'd like to post that on Facebook to make things slightly happier after the last few days.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My roomie has to do community service, and thanks to this thread, I suggested he work with some animals. This lead to him rescuing one dog from some hoarder down in Detroit that overbred her, and a four month old little boy from Detroit Animal Control that got shut down for being horrible monsters. He was skin and bones, bad hips, and breathing problems from spending most of his life locked in a cage.

Becky is a pit bull/collie mix, and Ash is some sort of all black pit mix. Both are doing so much better under our care. We were worried that the dogs would have behavioral problems, but they're so loving and well behaved it's amazing.

So, thanks again for helping inspire us to foster these dogs. May your days be filled fat cats and capybaras.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Josef bugman posted:

Could you link to the blog, I think I'd like to post that on Facebook to make things slightly happier after the last few days.

This is the main blog: http://thepipsqueakery.org/

This is that post on their Facebook page, which I couldn't find on the blog: https://www.facebook.com/thepipsqueakery/posts/858929367451826

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hi guys

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

bobjr posted:

All of these are my favorite.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Let's talk scratch arches:

These are wonderful devices, they provide a cat with stimulation, and allow them a way to take care of all of their itchies at onces.

Like this:

We happen to have an arch in our house. Our forever cat, Monty, has ignored the arch because he is a good catte. Butterscotch on the other hand has been studying it intensely for the past several weeks, from afar at first.

He wouldn't get near it at all...

Until today.

Some up close, Purr Reviewed (sorry) studying

AND GO!

A noble effort.

Butterscotch has a had a nice weekend, he hung out on our deck:

Snoozed on our couch:

And had a screen test:

Maximum Flatness

A screen test for what you may ask?

Well, we burried the lead. Fine goons, I present to you..

Butterscotch, live in the cat room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5YX33E2lY

Those vocals.... :allears:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Goddamn, I had a rat in high school and she was really sweet. I never though I'd get another, but that video makes me wish I had one again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I love how Butterscotch's shape varies so much from "spherical" to "pillow shaped".

I also like your usage of Stock Photo Cat to compare and contrast.

mycot has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Nov 16, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Chili posted:

Maximum Flatness

:eyepop:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chili posted:

Maximum Flatness

It's a pillow, it's a pet, it's a pillow pet!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wanna make fat waves with that cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm glad you all appreciate that picture. He is very apprehensive about being photographed in that manner.

He actually doesn't really like the camera all that much and gets a little jumpy around it, I've disable the flash which has seemed to help.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What's with the dedicated cat room anyway? I've not been around any cat owners for a long time but I've never seen anything like that.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

What's with the dedicated cat room anyway? I've not been around any cat owners for a long time but I've never seen anything like that.

It's just 'cos we foster. It ends up being the "foster cat room". When we get a new cat/cats they typically need to spend about a week away from our cat. He especially needed to because he had a contagious upper respiratory infect. Now, he only really eats in there. Otherwise, he roams the house freely.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

pookel posted:

An internet acquaintance of mine maintains a hamster blog. One of her favorite little guys died recently, and I was reminded of this funny post involving him from a while back:

Aww, poor George :( he had a good life as a ladies' hamster though so not all bad, what a cute little fuzzball :3:

I was on YT looking at old commercials and ran across an old favorite Mastercard one - so simple and the music is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cNDSPutas8

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Goddamn, I had a rat in high school and she was really sweet. I never though I'd get another, but that video makes me wish I had one again.

The only reason I don't have any now is because my GF convinced me to get guinea pigs.
Plus, they generally only live for a couple years.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

little girl can't stay mad with squeaky shoes on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np8V9xdRsP4

guy is blown away by the fact that chickens float
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR9wqxYvDo

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

The only reason I don't have any now is because my GF convinced me to get guinea pigs.
Plus, they generally only live for a couple years.

Good news! You can also teach Guinea pigs fun tricks!

http://youtu.be/esONT_AB_u8

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Chili posted:

It's just 'cos we foster. It ends up being the "foster cat room". When we get a new cat/cats they typically need to spend about a week away from our cat. He especially needed to because he had a contagious upper respiratory infect. Now, he only really eats in there. Otherwise, he roams the house freely.

Chiming in to note that this is actually the "right" way to add any new cat to an existing-cat home (contagion or no), just kinda chucking a new arrival into a shared space makes old+new cattes less likely to get along. Source: lots of reading up on the subject before I got a second cat, then 100% successful phased introduction which has culminated in Groomin' Buddies status :3: (Note: it's difficult when your apartment is effectively 1 huge space and 1 other room...)

P.S. bless you for expending the time/energy needed for fostering, Chili. Wish we had the time/energy(/space) for it ourselves.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Norse Code posted:

:kimchi: x lots

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It's a pillow, it's a pet, it's a pillow pet!

I am having a crap day, as a helicopter parent has flown into my life this morning and short of nuking her from orbit, I am wasting a precious, precious research day fending her off.

That said, these pictures made me go, 'I have one of those!' :neckbeard: Mr Boods bought me a dog because a few years back I completely threw out my back and needed lumbar support in the car and on a long Tube train ride. He's got a sheep that's supposed to serve the same duty, but sometimes I find him soundly asleep on the sofa clutching his tatty sheep like a teddy :3:

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

pookel posted:

The Pipsqueakery seem like such good people, George had a great life :unsmith:

Hamsters-in-cups is another great tumblr for any ham fans

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

melon cat posted:

We'll be returning to the sanctuary in the near future to help them build some new enclosures and sheltering for the animals (occupancy at the sanctuary is growing at an alarming rate), so if there's any interest we'll post up more piggy photos once we go back there for a work day. :3:

MORE HOGS

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Norse Code posted:

guy is blown away by the fact that chickens float
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR9wqxYvDo

These both put a huge smile on my face.

bitprophet posted:

Chiming in to note that this is actually the "right" way to add any new cat to an existing-cat home (contagion or no), just kinda chucking a new arrival into a shared space makes old+new cattes less likely to get along. Source: lots of reading up on the subject before I got a second cat, then 100% successful phased introduction which has culminated in Groomin' Buddies status :3: (Note: it's difficult when your apartment is effectively 1 huge space and 1 other room...)

P.S. bless you for expending the time/energy needed for fostering, Chili. Wish we had the time/energy(/space) for it ourselves.

My fiancee, katdicks really does get the credit. She was the one who signed up with the spca and got all of the training. It does end up being a fair bit of work on both of our parts, but for me, it's energizing. Waking up for me is a lot easier when I have small little tasks to do that have to get done. It gets me started on a better path each day.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Do we know how Butterscotch ended up spherical? Or is it a mystery.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

painted bird posted:

He ate a balloon and now they're just waiting for it to deflate :v:

more seriously

Chili posted:

We also found out that he was the pet of an older woman who essentially just fed him everything off her plate. So yeah, don't do that, or you end up with a cat like this:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Chili posted:

Butterscotch, live in the cat room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5YX33E2lY

Those vocals.... :allears:
I love Butterscotch so much :3:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

painted bird posted:

Remember all those stories your parents told you about eating watermelon seeds? Well...

Also that chicken floating video rules, someone needs to make a chicken bumper boats game

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just wanted you to know that no matter how many times I read his real name, to me Butterscotch will always be Blubberscotch.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Uh oh, they're getting friendlier.

Chili has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Nov 16, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

This is art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU