Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

commy gun posted:

Does Brees look done or are the Saints that bad of a mess?

The Saints defense is the hottest dumpster fire you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

swickles posted:

That didn't seem like a bad call considering it took the DB making a ridiculous play to make it an in completion.

There's times when you have to just play smart and take the best odds and use the clock as your ally instead of 'oh I think there may be a matchup issue we can take advantage of'.

That kind of thinking loses you super bowls.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hahahahaha I guess Eli didn't watch the super bowl

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's really amazing how untalented the Saints defense is.

Like yeah fire rob or whatever but what is he supposed to do with those guys? None of them even look like they know how to play their positions. none of them can beat blocks, and some don't look like they physically know how to tackle.

How do players like that end up starting in the NFL?

Oh yeah they sold out for last year and now the devil is getting his due.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Running the clock out is the most important thing in that situation, though. Who cares if he saw a touchdown? It was a "don't score" scenario.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

swickles posted:

That didn't seem like a bad call considering it took the DB making a ridiculous play to make it an in completion.

Buying a lottery ticket every week doesn't seem like a waste of money but it still is.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

been working on the weekends lately, so i haven't seen a lot of games. can someone explain why the packers are sucking rear end lately?

The previous two weeks it was both offense/defense, the defense had problems with Shields out and teams picking on the younger replacements, while the offense can't open running lanes for the RBs, and teams have been able to blanket our WRs with man coverage because they're just not getting separation.

This week, the defense was pretty good, but Rodgers was inaccurate for most of the game, OL still couldn't open running lanes, and our game plan of "abuse the new DB" didn't work because every single one of the 21 throws to Davante Adams was either:

1. Inaccurate ball
2. Adams going the wrong way
3. DB grabbing Adams and it going uncalled

3 was particularly painful because Adams would throw a fit even if the incompletion was because of #1 or #2 up there, and eventually got penalized in a late game situation because of it.

We had a stupid number of three and outs, including one from our own ~6 yard line with 50 seconds left in the half where we decided we were going to jam it on down the field, and it backfired on us.

Special teams were the wrong kind of special.

But by and large, the defense has been similar to what it's been all year, the offense is just getting completely bogged down and making GBS threads itself. And if it can't do anything against the Lions, at home, going against backup defensive players, we are in for some bad times ahead.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Special Teams issues? Might be time to fireronzook.com

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fsif posted:

Running the clock out is the most important thing in that situation, though. Who cares if he saw a touchdown? It was a "don't score" scenario.

Yeah I thought it was dumb for them to be throwing in that situation. The only time I could support checking into a pass is if its a situation like Kaepernick / Smith where he's literally uncovered and can just fall over at the 1 giving you a new set of downs.

Not enough teams are willing to go to a jumbo run set and see if you can just get that 3.5 yards you'll need three times in a row. I reckon a good percentage of teams would be able to pick those up. I'd rather as a fan see the oline throw down three times than try to get cute.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Darth Brooks posted:

I've been a Vikes fan since the mid 70's. Something tells me that next season is going to be THE special one. In the meanwhile, having hope (and seeing the results of hope) feels good.

Really pulling for that homefield Super Bowl. Zimmer is a loving wizard with the D, and it is fun as poo poo to watch. I keep waiting for things to coming crashing back to earth, and every week they look like a more cohesive team than the week before.

Regardless of that continuing success, I share WHOOPS' fears for next week. It is very easy to imagine the announcers talking for three hours about Aaron "loving" Rogers and Fat Mike having a come-to-Jesus meeting with the offense while watching the Pack blow a load of four games-worth of points all over TCF.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

FizFashizzle posted:

It's really amazing how untalented the Saints defense is.

Like yeah fire rob or whatever but what is he supposed to do with those guys? None of them even look like they know how to play their positions. none of them can beat blocks, and some don't look like they physically know how to tackle.

How do players like that end up starting in the NFL?

Oh yeah they sold out for last year and now the devil is getting his due.

I mean, sure, but there are also obviously talented guys like Byrd or Lewis or Jordan who are just utterly lost and useless. You hand these players to the Panthers coaching staff and they're maybe slightly below average. You hand the Panthers guys to Rob Ryan and they're also probably slightly below average. It's really hard to distinguish between poor talent and poor coaching on defense. If nothing else look at how Browner is used by the Saints versus how he was used elsewhere where he was actually successful.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Special Teams issues? Might be time to fireronzook.com

I think Desmond Howard was the last person to be good on special teams for us. It's always been a painful part of the game. The guys we draft to potentially be special teams stars get put into starting roles because of injury, so we throw in backup DBs or RBs or whatever. The fact we actually recovered an onside kick today still hasn't sunk in as to its amazingness, I can't even remember the last time that happened for us instead of against us.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Abugadu posted:

I think Desmond Howard was the last person to be good on special teams for us. It's always been a painful part of the game. The guys we draft to potentially be special teams stars get put into starting roles because of injury, so we throw in backup DBs or RBs or whatever. The fact we actually recovered an onside kick today still hasn't sunk in as to its amazingness, I can't even remember the last time that happened for us instead of against us.

:lol:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Dave posted:

@RVacchianoNYDN
Why didn't the Giants run on 1st and goal from the 5 instead of throwing to Beckham in the end zone? A run was called. Eli audibled.

‏@RVacchianoNYDN
Said Eli Manning: "They had goal line personnel in and they just weren’t going to let us run the ball in that situation."

The clock was at 2:06 on first down, so three runs and a FG would have left the Pats with 1:25 on the clock and zero timeouts.

Honestly, based on where the clock was at it really wasn't a bad play. However you have to run a play that eats all 6 seconds. The clock operator stopped the clock at 2:01 after the ball was knocked out of Beckham's hands. Had the Giants hit the 2 minute warning on that play, the Pats probably would have lost, as two runs and a FG would have left them with zero time outs and about 1:05 on the clock. Instead, they got what amounted to two free time outs.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

I mean, sure, but there are also obviously talented guys like Byrd or Lewis or Jordan who are just utterly lost and useless. You hand these players to the Panthers coaching staff and they're maybe slightly below average. You hand the Panthers guys to Rob Ryan and they're also probably slightly below average. It's really hard to distinguish between poor talent and poor coaching on defense. If nothing else look at how Browner is used by the Saints versus how he was used elsewhere where he was actually successful.

Yeah, and Kenny Vacarro had a promising rookie season, too. Byrd went through like three different coordinators in Buffalo and he was always good. I think the simplest explanation is just that Rob Ryan and his team are horrible coaches.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Slowpoke! posted:

The clock was at 2:06 on first down, so three runs and a FG would have left the Pats with 1:25 on the clock and zero timeouts.

Honestly, based on where the clock was at it really wasn't a bad play. However you have to run a play that eats all 6 seconds. The clock operator stopped the clock at 2:01 after the ball was knocked out of Beckham's hands. Had the Giants hit the 2 minute warning on that play, the Pats probably would have lost, as two runs and a FG would have left them with zero time outs and about 1:05 on the clock. Instead, they got what amounted to two free time outs.

lol

"it really wasn't a bad play"
*lists all the reasons it was a bad play*

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

fsif posted:

I think the simplest explanation is just that Rob Ryan and his team are horrible coaches.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How has Dez been doing since coming back from injury anyway? Besides being a nutcase I mean, how has he looked moving on the field?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I caught the Chiefs/Broncos game today and Peyton just looks cooked now. Not even just saying that as a fan of a rival team - that was about as dismal of a performance from him as i've ever seen. Denver didn't even do that badly defensively, they forced the Chiefs to settle for field goals a lot; they just looked totally gassed because Denver's offense couldn't do a thing before garbage time.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Good guy Rodgers :unsmith:

USA Today posted:

Teams around the NFL paid tribute to those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks in France last week with a moment of silence before Sunday’s games.

At Lambeau Field, before the Green Bay Packers lost to the Detroit Lions 18-16, a fan shouted out a slur against Muslims during the moment of silence.

That did not sit well with Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who called out the fan in his postgame comments.

“I must admit, I was very disappointed with whoever the fan was that made a comment that was very inappropriate during the moment of silence,” Rodgers said.

"It’s that kind of prejudicial ideology that puts us in the position we are today as a world.”

Rodgers would not elaborate on what he heard the fan say. He wore an expression of disgust as he chastised the unidentified fan.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fsif posted:

Yeah, and Kenny Vacarro had a promising rookie season, too. Byrd went through like three different coordinators in Buffalo and he was always good. I think the simplest explanation is just that Rob Ryan and his team are horrible coaches.

I guess the question would be, who would be the best defensive coordinator to choose from after this season? But who knows if Payton will stay anyway, so :shrug:.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Throwing was just an unnecessary risk. Sure run a play that goes down to the 2 and you're good, but there's a 100% chance of that happening if you run.

There's a lot of mistakes to scrutinize, including not getting any points off of Brady's fumble, the punt return, the Gronk TD.

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

packers fans are racist and obnoxious? go on

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

please please please just this one I don't care if you lose the rest just please
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/21/8463765/packers-to-retire-brett-favres-number-on-thanksgiving-night

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I guess the question would be, who would be the best defensive coordinator to choose from after this season? But who knows if Payton will stay anyway, so :shrug:.

I'd expect the organisation to get kind of gutted they're where the Panthers were before Rivera was hired or even Tampa pre-lovie, in something of a cap hell with some nice pieces but mostly over paid middling talent. I fully expect the saints to basically cut everyone thats not on a fairly friendly deal and go through the first year with cheap vets and rookies while they build as part of a 5 year plan or something.

Brees could probably walk and get a huge paycheck from Denver, Houston, San Franciso or Kansas City Sean Payton would probably have a suitcase full of money and or coke dropped at his door by Jim Irsay or I'd think Tennessee would be fairly keen on his services.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

Absolutely if there were ever a year to break down old preconceptions of the Vikings, this is it. They're not just skating by on big plays or lucky bounces - they're all the little things that prevent games from ever getting out of control. Few penalties, great tackling, effective special teams and a lot of great downfield blocking. Wallace turning around and blocking for Teddy on his big scramble stood out to me because of how quickly he reacted to do it. As you said, the passing game is all that is holding the team back and I'm more forgiving of Teddy given he turned 23 just last week and if nothing else, he's still got *~poise~* and there's a lot to be said about that.

The team is developing ahead of schedule and the SoS of their opponents doesn't feel nearly as daunting as it did two weeks ago. No matter what happens, I just hope the offensive line is priority in the offseason.

A big difference is that the defense is finishing games. It looked like they were going to let Oakland back into the game today, but then Newman made a huge play with the pick in the end zone. So instead of Oakland bring the game within one score, the Vikings get the ball and Peterson ends the game with an 80-yard TD. That's a night and day difference compared to when they blew the game against the Bills last year.

They have a tough schedule down the stretch, but I'm not scared of it anymore. I feel like the Vikings can compete with any of those teams and if the passing game gets going, then they'll be really dangerous.

The OL, WR, and S are all major needs. I just don't think the level of talent on the OL is adequate. Clemmings was a sieve today, but he's at least young, though I'd still like to address the OL with a high round pick and/or a priority FA. At WR we have Diggs, Wright is a decent 3rd or 4th option, and Wallace, Johnson, and Patterson have been disappointing. I'd at least like to add a big possession/red zone target, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Then at safety, we have one great safety in Smith and then there's Sendejo and a bunch of young guys who haven't been able to unseat Sendejo. I'd prefer they spend their 1st rounder on offense, but I wouldn't mind if they drafted a safety to pair with Smith.

Darth Brooks posted:

I've been a Vikes fan since the mid 70's. Something tells me that next season is going to be THE special one. In the meanwhile, having hope (and seeing the results of hope) feels good.

I think so too. They are playing very good ahead of schedule, but then next year they are moving into the new stadium, it will be their 3rd year with Zimmer and Bridgewater, and that's when I really expected them to jump to the next level. It is really amazing how quickly Zimmer took the worst defense in the league and turned them into one of the best defenses in the league. He's a great play caller, but I'm even more impressed with how they have been able to develop young talent so quickly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What happens when the wheels fall off for Peterson?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

who needs wheels when you've got hooves

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

commieB posted:

packers fans are racist and obnoxious? go on

is this like some sort of genius meta-satire where you are ironically using an outburst from one person out of thousands to judge an entire fanbase much like that one person is using one small fraction of the islamic population to judge its entire religion, or are you just a bad poster?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You take a guy in the 3rd round and sign a few UDFAs and end up being completely fine for the next 5 years? Peterson is a good running back but he's far from the golden god he was 3 years ago. Bridgewater is a good QB, not like the poo poo the vikings have been trotting out the last decade or so.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He'll be less effective?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Abugadu posted:

is this like some sort of genius meta-satire where you are ironically using an outburst from one person out of thousands to judge an entire fanbase much like that one person is using one small fraction of the islamic population to judge its entire religion, or are you just a bad poster?

It's not the first thing

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014

Abugadu posted:

packers fans still salty about losing to the lions? go on

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
loving clownshow. Bring me all your schadenfreude, TFF, we've earned it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Peterson is a huge part of why they are playing so well ahead of schedule, but when he slows down, then that is when Bridgewater needs to step up and shoulder more of the load on offense. I will say that one of the issues they have on offense is that Bridgewater is more comfortable passing out of the shotgun and Peterson runs best out of the I-formation, so an ideal back to pair with Bridgewater would be a balanced back who is a good receiver out of the backfield and an effective runner out of shotgun and pistol formations, which isn't Peterson's skillset.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Isn't a lisfranc a muscle strain rather than an actual break? The foots filled with little bitty bitch bones. If it's just a broken bone in his foot he should be fine in a few weeks.

From what I recall, some Lisfranc fractures can lead to the whole structure of the foot getting hosed up. I remember when Schaub got a Lisfranc fracture, someone here posted a x-ray of how the foot looks and it was horrifying, like all of the bones in the top half of the foot were shoved to the side.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benne posted:

loving clownshow. Bring me all your schadenfreude, TFF, we've earned it.

More like schadenfrauds

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

More like schadenfrauds

7chadenfraud7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiosity fucked me up
Oct 7, 2014
everyone who deserved to win this week won

• Locked thread