Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

If you leave the holster empty you should be able to draw from it anyway to go "pew pew" at people. Hand them out to the staff assistants and reenact the giant ridiculous Helios finger gun fight from Tales From The Borderlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Can we please add a cooldown to activating the teleporter via network? Had a few rounds now where people lagged the server to poo poo by making a script that spams the teleporter nonstop,

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
It does have a cooldown. The script is likely just in an infinite or extremely extended loop, but yeah that's still kinda butts.

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked
I hoped you all enjoyed The End.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Got to play with the work in progress cruiser last night, was super fun! thanks for letting me play with it! :buddy:

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

Matty posted:

Got to play with the work in progress cruiser last night, was super fun! thanks for letting me play with it! :buddy:

I am dripping with jealousy.

Can you describe the experience for all of us?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Bunmo posted:

I hoped you all enjoyed The End.

What were you doing? Hiding in bushes and tranqing people as they ran by? I can't really think of any other way to emulate that fight in SS13.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

FriskyBoat posted:

What were you doing? Hiding in bushes and tranqing people as they ran by? I can't really think of any other way to emulate that fight in SS13.

Needs a parrot to go with it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

yeah I was really stuck on that one when I was doing my MGS boss traitor gimmicks in August. Thankfully I only got like three traitor rounds all month and wasted two of them being The Fury, zooming into the station with an experimental flamethrower and cosmonaut suit and immediately blowing myself up.

(by wasted I mean I got it right)

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Pain is the best boss to copy, of course.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Man, no wonder nobody plays sec nowadays. Just watched a round where the only members of sec were all mugged, beaten up and/or murdered by people who really should have known better, because they were trying to stop a traitor who was openly lazering people in the halls.

Disclaimer: wasn't even playing sec, observed the entire round

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pretty sure I was sec in the round you're talking about, and the traitors were deliberately spreading misinformation to make it worse. But yeah.

E: I noticed that if you depower a computer, you can no longer remove ID cards from it. That seems like a pretty huge flaw.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Shortest Path posted:

E: I noticed that if you depower a computer, you can no longer remove ID cards from it. That seems like a pretty huge flaw.

That's been like that for months, if not years.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not something that comes up often, but I guess I see why it works that way because you can't interact with depowered computers at all.

Still, a right-click-dialog eject option would be nifty and helpful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

make it require a bent paperclip

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

make it require a bent paperclip

Sticking one into one with the monitor unscrewed (but the power still live) should give a nice jolt. Or when the computer is working perfectly fine, this is SS13 after all.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Houka posted:

I am dripping with jealousy.

Can you describe the experience for all of us?

I should have taken some screenies :shep:

Really fun, even if it is a WIP.

the one i played on was a big back, sleek looking ship. I was teleported inside but you can physically enter it too. Inside is a room with engine, life support, turret mounts etc. There are 3 pods inside the room that you enter to do your role on the cruiser: security, for weapons and weapon functions, engineering, for shields and warp, and navigation for erm, navigation! Myself, Dions, and Mr White piloted the curiser against several rounds of ai drones, till an ar drone blew us apart and we all died. Through some sort of voodoo magic, the 'interior' of the pod displays any damage the cruiser has sustained. When the ar drone wrecked us our pods ejected us and exploded, and the 'room' had holes in the floor and fires everywhere.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Inadequately posted:

Man, no wonder nobody plays sec nowadays. Just watched a round where the only members of sec were all mugged, beaten up and/or murdered by people who really should have known better, because they were trying to stop a traitor who was openly lazering people in the halls.

Disclaimer: wasn't even playing sec, observed the entire round

I got secbanned on #2 for reacting appropriately to the kind of people who do this (read: liberally applying beatings and removing limbs).

I regret nothing :colbert:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

-Troika- posted:

I got secbanned on #2 for reacting appropriately to the kind of people who do this (read: liberally applying beatings and removing limbs).

I regret nothing :colbert:

If this was that same round where the detective was shooting anyone that looked at him funny with lethal bullets I regret nothing either

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Poland Spring posted:

If this was that same round where the detective was shooting anyone that looked at him funny with lethal bullets I regret nothing either

This is every round

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
By the way, I played as Barman recently and I noticed a few super awesome changes. The new pitchers especially make mixing a large amount of drinks super easy. Kudos to whichever mod decided to put those in.

e: The other really neat one is that the shotgun and the Russian Revolver have switched places, so the revolver's in the Barman's room while he starts with the shottie. Super handy for avoiding the usual situation where you log in and someone (the Captain) has already stolen it.

Blastinus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 10, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Poland Spring posted:

Nah this was months ago.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Someone wrote a lot of words about Space Station 13 on Gamasutra.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Still quite a ways back in reading this thread, but I just had my first Ling round, and my first antagonist round ever. Started as a miner, and I somehow managed to grab the body of a dead sec, and absorbed him and assumed his role. All the rest of the suspicion that round was on another Ling, so I played buddy cop to another sec while we hunted for the other Ling. Kept myself alive the rest of the round with barely a scratch, save for some crazy monkey with a knife at the start of the round. We knew who the ling was by the end of the round, and everyone on the shuttle, cap'n included, stood in a circle and beat him to death with fists, chairs, crowbars, and lasers. Well past his being dead. :allears:

geeko55 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 18, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

geeko55 posted:

Still quite a ways back in reading this thread, but I just had my first Ling round, and my first antagonist round ever. Started as a miner, and I somehow managed to grab the body of a dead sec, and absorbed him and assumed his role. All the rest of the suspicion that round was on another Ling, so I played buddy cop to another sec while we hunted for the other Ling. Kept myself alive the rest of the round with barely a scratch, save for some crazy monkey with a knife at the start of the round. We knew who the ling was by the end of the round, and everyone on the shuttle, cap'n included, stood in a circle and beat him to death with fists, chairs, crowbars, and lasers. Well past his being dead. :allears:

Players will go out of their way to make drat sure that Changelings and Vampires are dead, because if they're even slightly alive they will come back for revenge.

I kinda think that Headspidering should be player-triggered, incidentally, because everyone knows to wait for it to pop the moment the Changeling's dead. Having to go investigate the corpse or drag it away doesn't immediately expose their changeling nature, plus gives better opportunities for a spider to get loose in the corridor and jump some poor passer-by on the way to Disposals/Medical/Fun. Or even just left abandoned while the Changeling sits as a ghost, waiting for that one moment late in the round to tap back in because no-one removed his corpse from the hallway in all the excitement.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Players will go out of their way to make drat sure that Changelings and Vampires are dead, because if they're even slightly alive they will come back for revenge.

I kinda think that Headspidering should be player-triggered, incidentally, because everyone knows to wait for it to pop the moment the Changeling's dead. Having to go investigate the corpse or drag it away doesn't immediately expose their changeling nature, plus gives better opportunities for a spider to get loose in the corridor and jump some poor passer-by on the way to Disposals/Medical/Fun. Or even just left abandoned while the Changeling sits as a ghost, waiting for that one moment late in the round to tap back in because no-one removed his corpse from the hallway in all the excitement.

This is a good idea, to be honest. When you kill a changeling right now you can be absolutely certain it's a ling because it starts doing the head thing immediately. More opportunities to sow confusion is good, in my opinion.

Maybe the changeling could get several different (randomly selected) revival vectors? One changeling gets headspider on death, the other gets a kind of sting that works similarly and so on? Just spitballing here.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Spy_Guy posted:

Maybe the changeling could get several different (randomly selected) revival vectors? One changeling gets headspider on death, the other gets a kind of sting that works similarly and so on? Just spitballing here.

That sounds pretty fun, another I've heard suggested is the changeling gibbing in a gory explosion and their various parts attacking nearby crew!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spy_Guy posted:

This is a good idea, to be honest. When you kill a changeling right now you can be absolutely certain it's a ling because it starts doing the head thing immediately. More opportunities to sow confusion is good, in my opinion.

I think it should simply be a "Deploy Headspider" trigger that works while dead. It'd be pretty advantageous, granted, but it's something that's either getting popped immediately the moment the corpse is out of the room, or they're gonna sit for a bit while other chaos goes on anyway and just staring at your body for 10-20+ minutes is no fun.

Poland Spring posted:

That sounds pretty fun, another I've heard suggested is the changeling gibbing in a gory explosion and their various parts attacking nearby crew!

I think I actually suggested that one :v:.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think I actually suggested that one :v:.

It was a great suggestion! It'd certainly add to the chaos inherent to the station if some random assistant dies in a firefight and all of a sudden you're being eaten by his kidney

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
More mass chaos abilities for lings would be pretty fun.

Incidentally, I think headspiders work a little too quickly now. The way it works now, the second the ling dies someone in the immediate vicinity is almost always getting headspidered, and then there's no real recourse but to beat that guy to death as well because there's no way to cut it out. It would actually be more effective if the spider moved a little slower and there was a way to stop a headspidered guy from being taken over, because then you get to wonder whether that guy is pretending or actually grateful when you cut it out of him, rather than 'well, you're the ling now, rip, into the crusher with you.'

E: A way for vampires to revive in a coffin/in the bodies of one of their thrills would be fun too, but vampires probably don't need another boost in their current state.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Headspiders got buffed because before they took liek 2 minutes to come out and were very slow and useless.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In their current iteration, it's actually counterproductive how quick they are. 90% of the time, it's a loud, obvious takeover of someone nearby, while you're surrounded by an angry armed mob who promptly beats that guy to death as well because there's no hope of saving him. I know how headspiders were like before, but I'm saying their current version isn't all that great either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inadequately posted:

In their current iteration, it's actually counterproductive how quick they are. 90% of the time, it's a loud, obvious takeover of someone nearby, while you're surrounded by an angry armed mob who promptly beats that guy to death as well because there's no hope of saving him. I know how headspiders were like before, but I'm saying their current version isn't all that great either.

That was the point of my suggestion about making it player-triggered post-death; They'd still be quick, but it'd be at a moment of the Changeling's choosing. A headspider popping into the middle of a crowd of guys only to be killed immediately isn't useful (along with, potentially, it's new host). A headspider suddenly popping out while some guy's picking over a (seemingly) random corpse and leaping right down their throat is.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That was the point of my suggestion about making it player-triggered post-death; They'd still be quick, but it'd be at a moment of the Changeling's choosing. A headspider popping into the middle of a crowd of guys only to be killed immediately isn't useful (along with, potentially, it's new host). A headspider suddenly popping out while some guy's picking over a (seemingly) random corpse and leaping right down their throat is.

While this really is a good idea, I don't think it'll help changelings all that much. Whenever a crew is reasonably sure that the guy they just beat down is a changeling, there's almost always going to be a mob of people that won't leave the body alone until it's destroyed. So even if the changeling waits until the last moment, they'll just be there to destroy the headspider or the person it gets into.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

More SS13 coverage.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe combine the headspider with the earlier mentioned idea of a Ling gibbing into animated organs/gibs/limbs? Make all of these organs/gibs/limbs have the potential to be the effective headspider, but only one actually is. So the crew doesn't know what gibling to target, and even if they see a few folks get infected, they have no idea if they're really infected or not.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe combine the headspider with the earlier mentioned idea of a Ling gibbing into animated organs/gibs/limbs? Make all of these organs/gibs/limbs have the potential to be the effective headspider, but only one actually is. So the crew doesn't know what gibling to target, and even if they see a few folks get infected, they have no idea if they're really infected or not.

This would work, but only if all of the animated body parts go nuts and start screaming and demanding to be eaten and actively trying to shove themselves down their victim's throats while beating on them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Basically how I imagined it, yeah. Sort of a reverse firing squad scenario. Most would be harmless, but you'd have no way of knowing which.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

This was a really good read, and it highlights exactly why SS13 is a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I've spent some time reworking the SS13 website after it got migrated, it still needs some work. If anyone has some suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

The purpose is to make it a good introduction to the game and the many branches available.

• Locked thread