Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Spiderdrake posted:

Also someone wake up DT I want to know what XFL means on a slide

I'm awake

I don't know why people assume that I'm going to comment on a rumor this big without an external source confirming or denying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Oh I just wanted to know what the acronym meant. It bugs me. Wikipedia says it's football, but that doesn't make any sense! Fort Max can't play football... Unless it means they play football inside him?

Whatever, here's a picture from tumblr

I was told the acronym means 'expected for launch'

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
So I finally got around to opening MP Tracks and spent the last 20-30 minutes transforming and fiddling with him. Below is a summary of my observations.

PROS
  • Excellent paint - the blue and red are very sharp
  • Amazing head sculpt
  • Alt-mode is sex
  • Nice ratchets on elbows and knees
  • Wrist/hand transformation is impressive
  • Comes with a stand
  • Tiny Blaster :allears:
CONS
  • Super fiddly transformation overall - lots of half-tabs that do not lock in place very well (chest, back, backpack, leg panels)
  • Mine has a bum left knee that kind of flops around
  • The backpack, pretty much all of it
  • The wings and shoulders kind of get in each other's way, unless I'm not doing something right
  • Legs were pegged together suuuuuper tight and now I'm scared to peg them back together
  • The head likes to fall backwards as it isn't supported from behind

Overall he is great to look at but as mentioned above has some flaws. I probably won't be messing with him as often as I do Bumblebee or Wheeljack. He has very good pose-ability so getting him into a cool stance and leaving him that way is no problem for me. He is really tall for being able to shrink down into a nice, dense corvette.

Have a pic!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheDK posted:

So I finally got around to opening MP Tracks and spent the last 20-30 minutes transforming and fiddling with him. Below is a summary of my observations.

PROS
  • Excellent paint - the blue and red are very sharp
  • Amazing head sculpt
  • Alt-mode is sex
  • Nice ratchets on elbows and knees
  • Wrist/hand transformation is impressive
  • Comes with a stand
  • Tiny Blaster :allears:
CONS
  • Super fiddly transformation overall - lots of half-tabs that do not lock in place very well (chest, back, backpack, leg panels)
  • Mine has a bum left knee that kind of flops around
  • The backpack, pretty much all of it
  • The wings and shoulders kind of get in each other's way, unless I'm not doing something right
  • Legs were pegged together suuuuuper tight and now I'm scared to peg them back together
  • The head likes to fall backwards as it isn't supported from behind

Overall he is great to look at but as mentioned above has some flaws. I probably won't be messing with him as often as I do Bumblebee or Wheeljack. He has very good pose-ability so getting him into a cool stance and leaving him that way is no problem for me. He is really tall for being able to shrink down into a nice, dense corvette.

Have a pic!

You're not wrong about the head or the wing/shoulder thing or the backpack. You've articulated how I feel about this toy perfectly. Very well put.

I think Spartan/Not-Impactor is the superior toy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm not closing the Secret Santa signup till tomorrow, so you've still got time!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I kinda want these guys!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That reminds me, the 3rd party Drift and his Vic Viper lookalike, when were those meant to be coming out?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not closing the Secret Santa signup till tomorrow, so you've still got time!

I'm pretty sure I'm signed up, the first email we get should be who we are assigned, like last year, right? My finger slipped and submitted the form before I could fill out the "about me" stuff.

If I'm not on there, let me know otherwise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm signed up, the first email we get should be who we are assigned, like last year, right? My finger slipped and submitted the form before I could fill out the "about me" stuff.

If I'm not on there, let me know otherwise.

Correct! I can't check the form right now but I'm pretty sure you are.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh I just wanted to know what the acronym meant. It bugs me. Wikipedia says it's football, but that doesn't make any sense! Fort Max can't play football... Unless it means they play football inside him?

Whatever, here's a picture from tumblr

I was told the acronym means 'expected for launch'

Really wished it was "Xtra Fuckin' Large"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That TAV Drift looks pretty good but ... Not quite there?

Phy posted:

That reminds me, the 3rd party Drift and his Vic Viper lookalike, when were those meant to be coming out?
MMC doesn't usually give dates for products that far out. I'd guess Q3 2016 or so but they do seem to be banging them out a little faster lately.

That reminds me that I'm buying that next year almost certainly, argh. Probably both Alpha and Beta, ack.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

There's something odd about his face, like they wanted to give him a mustache maybe? Since the older version has facial hair too I guess.

There's this cool looking Deadlock Drift recolor too (of the original Drift toy) but it's some super limited exclusive thing.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

That TAV Drift looks pretty good but ... Not quite there?
MMC doesn't usually give dates for products that far out. I'd guess Q3 2016 or so but they do seem to be banging them out a little faster lately.

That reminds me that I'm buying that next year almost certainly, argh. Probably both Alpha and Beta, ack.

Oh yeah, Alpha and Beta. Looking forward to those.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Got the rest of my bootleg AoE dinobots in care of SirToys.

The diecast Scorn is real good. Tight, solid and menacing. The diecast Strafe is loving incredible, working light piping on the robot head, giant majestic wing span, nice metal dino heads. Transformation is boringly simple and mine had some issues with a misaligned shoulder pin, but drat that thing is king of toys.

Also got one of the black oversized diecast voyager Grimlocks. That thing kinda sucks. Metal and weight is all in the wrong places (and probably lead), joints are all weak in robot mode, screws are all rusty, the two tabs that hold him in place in dino mode don't tab together solidly. Thinking seriously about getting a Takara black knight leader Grimlock.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Umed and ahhed about it too much, signed up for the TFSS!

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
Taken from Fanstoys' site, though I think the pictures have since been removed:

catch22 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 16, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm not sure there'll ever be a good Rodimus, the transformation has to work so hard to change what is possibly the most human-style body outside of Arcee into a very straight-edged car. It also doesn't help that the animation model is very clear about what ends up where in both modes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The bot mode looks better than the MP, at least from the front. The profile shot is awkward. The car mode is almost identical. I don't know, that seems like a bad spot to put themselves in, with the MP coming next February.

After being reminded of Alpha/Beta from MMC I would frankly rather see an IDW Rodimus from MMC than much of anything else. IDW Rodimus is a bit inconsistent but I think he's the best incarnation of the character, retcons to being or not being a matrix bearer candidate notwithstanding.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
They keep coming...

Click for more Galvatron photos

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Which Galvatron is the most accurate, do you think? Probably the Fanstoys.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mean of course, with a spot on vehicle mode like that!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went to Ollie's again today to see what all new stuff they'd gotten in. Last wednesday there were two whole shelves of Generations deluxes, over 200 of them. Today there was a single Waspinator and Scoop. I'm blown away by the sheer speed that those flew out the doors.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not sure there'll ever be a good Rodimus, the transformation has to work so hard to change what is possibly the most human-style body outside of Arcee into a very straight-edged car. It also doesn't help that the animation model is very clear about what ends up where in both modes.

Even if it can't decide how to get from one mode to the other.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Animated Rodimus did it just fine, and is still probably one of the best Transformers ever made.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Spiderdrake posted:

The bot mode looks better than the MP, at least from the front. The profile shot is awkward. The car mode is almost identical. I don't know, that seems like a bad spot to put themselves in, with the MP coming next February.

I mean, you say the profile shot is awkward, but

this is what it's up against. That's just way too much backpack. Also the arms look like they rotate too low, though the FT render doesn't show if it managed to avoid that issue itself, in fairness.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I mean, it being awkward doesn't mean I don't think the profile shot you've posted looks (even more) awkward as well. Just that FT profile shot is, relative to nothing but itself, pretty awkward looking. I'm hard to please when it comes to MP of post-movie guys anyway.

Rei_ posted:

Animated Rodimus did it just fine, and is still probably one of the best Transformers ever made.
I wish something would take animated Rodimus' transformation scheme and apply to a closer to chug aesthetic. It really is a top tier design, but the head sculpt is a bit of a turn off.

catch22 posted:

We're you talking about Hot Rod? Cause yeah the alt mode is pretty goofy.
No, I was not.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 16, 2015

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

Between this and DX9 Tyrant it goes to FT. The feet and upper chest detail on FT stand out, and it just flat out looks better. Direct comparison shots here. As long as FT's alt mode doesn't suck it's an easy pick over DX9's.

XTB has one on the way that I think is a little better proportioned than even FTs, but that's based on a single render that only shows his upper body.

Spiderdrake posted:

I mean of course, with a spot on vehicle mode like that!

We're you talking about Hot Rod? Cause yeah the alt mode is pretty goofy.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 16, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well, at least you are going to have 4 different things to choose from when it comes to MP Roddy. At least one should be able to get it right, I hope.

I tend to not like DX9's offerings as they take a LOT of liberties and look out of place next to the other MP's. A lot of very blocky tech detail and the like. People often say that G1 Transformers are blocky as hell, but they're not quite as blocky as you'd think. Some characters like Rodimus have a lot of curves.

I think the original MP-9 Rodimus looks great and is pretty much spot on when it comes to likeness, it's just that, well... he's kind of a terrible toy once you actually touch him. But in my glass cabinet, he looks great!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hey robo-scholars, I was wondering earlier about combining robots and who started the whole idea. Wasn't there some minor combining in Mazinger? Devastator first showed up in diaclone did he? I'd like to know who was the first guy to come up with the incredible idea to have some smaller robot dudes merging into a big robot dude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Hey robo-scholars, I was wondering earlier about combining robots and who started the whole idea. Wasn't there some minor combining in Mazinger? Devastator first showed up in diaclone did he? I'd like to know who was the first guy to come up with the incredible idea to have some smaller robot dudes merging into a big robot dude.

I'd say either Getter Robo or Zambot 3. Brave Raideen was one of the first, if not the first, transforming robot. He has a very transformery face, too.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Does Combattler V count as a combiner? Because that ran from 76 to 77

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hell, this guy could be Rodimus' grandpa.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Hell, this guy could be Rodimus' grandpa.

Dude totally fought alongside Pvt. Kup.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'd say either Getter Robo or Zambot 3. Brave Raideen was one of the first, if not the first, transforming robot. He has a very transformery face, too.

Onmi posted:

Does Combattler V count as a combiner? Because that ran from 76 to 77

There were combining robots in Astro Boy, but Getter Robo was the first to use the team of vehicles combining into a bigger robot idea. Combattler V and Voltes V were the first with elaborate repeated transformation sequences (which Western audiences would more likely associate with Voltron) that you could follow along with. Not coincidentally, Combattler V and Voltes V were the first combining robots to have fully functional toys made of them.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I've been checking out and GiSing everything mentioned, thanks. That's a lot of cool old rear end robots I didn't know about. Somehow I had managed to forget motherfucking Voltron too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Sorry for the double post but Wildrider is instock at HTS.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Are there any active discount codes for HTS right now? It looks like the 20% one expired today.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Weapons research

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The most unloved transformer. The easy fix for him is going to be grafting a pair of (probably ledgend Blackjack's) arms above/in (swiveling to accommodate transformation) his weird side chest cavities. This will give him Kuato arms (and a Kuato head if I glue Blackjack's head to his chest) and it will be cool and creepy. For the practice run, here he is with oversized black aoe voyager grimlock's arms (if I can find more t-rex arms of the right size I might just use those because it looks ridiculous). Getting him to stand up is hopeless, grafting a small pair of donor legs to the back of his current legs might help, weight reduction would involve cutting out large parts of the blue translucent plastic on his head and tail and I don't really want to do that.

He's also a hip-hop/actor star now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Any word on the Secret Santa yet? I just want to make sure I didn't miss an e-mail.