Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're going to experiment with drug cocktails while flying you should at minimum give them a decent shot on the ground first.

I know some guys who swear by melatonin and other guys who have some quasi-legal Thai quackery poo poo that is related to tiger balm that you inhale through your nose (it is not cocaine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

quasi-legal Thai quackery poo poo that is related to tiger balm that you inhale through your nose (it is not cocaine).

Is that the poo poo that looks like a sinus inhaler thing sold under the glass by the registers at the convenience store? I was on a songthaew in Chiang Mai and saw a Thai lady huffing away at one of those the entire ride.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

air- posted:

Is that the poo poo that looks like a sinus inhaler thing sold under the glass by the registers at the convenience store? I was on a songthaew in Chiang Mai and saw a Thai lady huffing away at one of those the entire ride.

I think so but my interest in probing an absolutely insane expat Czech who lives in Dubai is very limited so I mostly smiled and nodded.

Edit: It's a bit like the steroidal nasal spray thing I had for a horrible sinus infection once.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

So. Feelings on the potential Marriott buyout of Starwood?

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

Uncle Jam posted:

I think Korea is OK but be careful and check before entering other countries with stronger medicine like Xanax on you in the future.

Oh definitely, I did research before I went on my trip since both Japan and Korea are strict. But it's a prescription with my name and my doctor's name on it so after what I read I figured I was safe. I use it so infrequently as well that if I lost it, it wouldn't be an emergency.

Thanks for the discussion, all! I'll try to report back with what worked (if anything).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sextro posted:

I believe it's official now.

Feelings: eh, probably not great. Never seems to be. I have relatively few points though so any devaluation should have a minimal impact

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know some guys who swear by melatonin and other guys who have some quasi-legal Thai quackery poo poo that is related to tiger balm that you inhale through your nose (it is not cocaine).

I swear by melatonin. It blew me away when I first tried it because I'm a mega skeptic who thinks all natural supplement crap is all bullshit, but melatonin has me conked out in a half an hour without fail.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

I swear by melatonin. It blew me away when I first tried it because I'm a mega skeptic who thinks all natural supplement crap is all bullshit, but melatonin has me conked out in a half an hour without fail.

Melatonin is loving awesome. It has never helped me sleep on a plane, but when dealing with 4+ hour time zone changes, if I take 10mg of melatonin I'm out within 30 minutes or so, and I don't wake up all sluggish like I did when I tried whatever generic Ambien is called.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

sellouts posted:

I believe it's official now.

Feelings: eh, probably not great. Never seems to be. I have relatively few points though so any devaluation should have a minimal impact

Still technically has to go through Regulatory/Voting hurdles. But yeah, by the point of announcement this was a done deal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just hope they don't have to use Marriott's deal with Visa. I don't need another Visa.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sextro posted:

My gut instinct is that it's gonna be really bad, at least from a points earning/redemption standpoint.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

district 12 posted:

I've never heard this before! If you fast before you go on the plane would that do anything? Based on my flight times, when dinner service comes around it'll be time for a late lunch in Korea.

For it to work properly you need to fast 18-24 hours and then reset by eating breakfast where you arrive. I tried it once and although it does work the 24 hours of no eating made me incredibly grumpy. Maybe if you fast often it's easier.

I use simple antihistamine (travel sickness) pills, even in economy I can knock out 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and it's awesome.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sextro posted:

I've never seen a business in travel/leisure keep its own culture and ideology after being purchased. Marriott's just going to see the generous SPG program as a place where they can cut costs and pat themselves on the back for being geniuses because it's not like anybody ever thought of that.

I'm not deeply into the points game here or hotels in particular, but I've seen enough of these to feel like I know what's coming.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

I've never seen a business in travel/leisure keep its own culture and ideology after being purchased.

More generally, a buyout always results in a worse product in every business. It's never good for the customer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well, Delta officially is turning Comfort Plus into something you have to upgrade up to. PMs and DMs get unlimited upgrades but they have to request it without knowing what seat they'll get and upgrade inventory is controlled, you can't just select seats that are open like you can currently.

Who the hell at Delta thinks anyone would want to be "upgraded" from an exit row aisle to a middle seat that is still coach in almost all respects? This also seems to make it pretty much impossible to get into comfort plus if you're traveling with a non-status spouse.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I need some opinions. Right now I have a trip booked to Tokyo next April, and honestly, the biggest reason I'm taking the trip is I want to fly on the upper deck of a 747 before Delta retires them all, and I have the miles to pull it off now. However, looking at Delta's route map for next year, I could also do Seoul, South Korea. I don't really have a set list of things I'd like to do at either place honestly. If I were to go to Tokyo, I would probably go see Mt. Fuji, and if I go to South Korea, I would go check out the DMZ.

Any suggestions that can tip the scales one way or the other?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Alright, I need some opinions. Right now I have a trip booked to Tokyo next April, and honestly, the biggest reason I'm taking the trip is I want to fly on the upper deck of a 747 before Delta retires them all, and I have the miles to pull it off now. However, looking at Delta's route map for next year, I could also do Seoul, South Korea. I don't really have a set list of things I'd like to do at either place honestly. If I were to go to Tokyo, I would probably go see Mt. Fuji, and if I go to South Korea, I would go check out the DMZ.

I feel like outside the capital cities of the two there are more things to see in Japan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

Can't climb fuji April - trails are only open from Early July to September.

http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/

Korea: Looks like Japan but feels like China :henget:

Tokyo has a much much better dining scene and stuff to do buy souvenirs. Whereas Seoul has nicer goons and is cheaper and more mountains nearby. If budget is not a concern and you haven't been to East Asia much then stick with Tokyo.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Can't climb fuji April - trails are only open from Early July to September.

http://www.fujisan-climb.jp/en/

Korea: Looks like Japan but feels like China :henget:

Tokyo has a much much better dining scene and stuff to do buy souvenirs. Whereas Seoul has nicer goons and is cheaper and more mountains nearby. If budget is not a concern and you haven't been to East Asia much then stick with Tokyo.

Budget isn't a concern really other than how many miles the flight costs, and right now Seoul and Tokyo are right about the same. Hotels will be covered by IHG points and I wasn't planning on renting a car, so my only expenditures would be entertainment, food, and souvenirs.

A distant third on my list would be Beijing. I'd have to go double check Delta's website, but I I think I can fly into ICN and connect into Beijing.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Thoguh posted:

Well, Delta officially is turning Comfort Plus into something you have to upgrade up to. PMs and DMs get unlimited upgrades but they have to request it without knowing what seat they'll get and upgrade inventory is controlled, you can't just select seats that are open like you can currently.

It doesn't look that bad, unless they prevent you from switching back to your regular economy seat after the upgrade processes and sucks.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

It doesn't look that bad, unless they prevent you from switching back to your regular economy seat after the upgrade processes and sucks.

That would be my biggest issue with the whole thing. I would rather have pretty much any aisle seat over an C+ window or middle seat.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

A distant third on my list would be Beijing. I'd have to go double check Delta's website, but I I think I can fly into ICN and connect into Beijing.

Buy n95 masks :laffo:

Instead of going to Korea just go to Tokyo, buy some souvenirs and tokyo Banana then visit me in Hong Kong :keke:

If you are burning points and all cities cost the same amount of points then Tokyo has a much better value than Korea. Korea is the Canada of tourism. It's nice but generally neglected for first time tourists.

DJCobol posted:

That would be my biggest issue with the whole thing. I would rather have pretty much any aisle seat over an C+ window or middle seat.

I actually like window seats and take photos outside. If my flight is surrounded by tall people then I would pick C+ for the legroom. Tall people are just going to recline for the whole duration and squeeze you. They are positioned like a door wedge when they fly economy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

Assuming it doesn't get poached in the meantime. Since the upgrade could happen at any time when inventory is released you might not notice right away.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Assuming it's like F upgrades you'll get an email.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
UA reduced E+ seating as in they ripped the loving row out. I've had a few flights where it was hard to find space whereas in the past I was fine. I see why they did it with the capacity never filled those and then they dared to charge plus rev from 6 more tickets!

Still I'm really glad I didn't go to DL during a lot of our cuts. Upgrade to ec/e+? gently caress you.

We're all hosed now that there are only three drat legacy carriers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AgrippaNothing posted:

We're all hosed now that there are only three drat legacy carriers.

They seem to be better than Cathay Pacific when it comes to mileage. Prices in Hong Kong are under their thumb - it's cheaper to fly from Taiwan to USA through HKG than HKG direct :negative:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Assuming it's like F upgrades you'll get an email.

I only get about 50% of the upgrade emails, and even when I do, it's usually hours after I get upgraded. Most of the time I see it in the mobile app before I get the email.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

And once I saw an upgrade clear in the app 15 minutes before boarding, but their system glitched and didn't assign me a seat in first and wouldn't let me pick the empty seat in first. The gate agent couldn't help me. But I was in the aisle of the second row of economy anyway so when the boarding door closed and I could see the first seat was still empty, I showed the app glitch to a flight attendant and she let me move up once we took off. First time I've received an upgrade while in the air!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I've gotten exactly 2 gate upgrades in the last 3 years however UA has this wonderful glitch if you have an agent bump you to another flight as 1k it's kick up to full fare Y ticket and you side in over anyone 1k that bought anything below Y.

I've seen a more seats in F go out empty lately because the GA was too lazy to clear the list.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

And once I saw an upgrade clear in the app 15 minutes before boarding, but their system glitched and didn't assign me a seat in first and wouldn't let me pick the empty seat in first. The gate agent couldn't help me. But I was in the aisle of the second row of economy anyway so when the boarding door closed and I could see the first seat was still empty, I showed the app glitch to a flight attendant and she let me move up once we took off. First time I've received an upgrade while in the air!

haha I got an upgrade once when I was already seated in e, then a global service guy got on at the last second and they had to move me back to e, then someone else in F didn't show and the FA gave me their seat instead.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

AAdvantage just got kind of annihilated and while economy redemptions didn't change as much, premium cabin redemptions are hilariously expensive now. MileSAAver from US -> Europe in first is 85k miles each way.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
They're changing to revenue based earning as well. Time to burn my miles.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Whoa, I was never able to book to HKG on first in Cathay, and now that's definitely NOT gonna happen :( I only have 220k to burn, so I suppose that should go quickly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AgrippaNothing posted:

I've gotten exactly 2 gate upgrades in the last 3 years however UA has this wonderful glitch if you have an agent bump you to another flight as 1k it's kick up to full fare Y ticket and you side in over anyone 1k that bought anything below Y.

I've seen a more seats in F go out empty lately because the GA was too lazy to clear the list.

This is changing. I was at the mothership in Chicago a couple of weeks ago (charity event for United We Care) and one of the presentations was on their new "Journey Management System" which keeps all rebookings in the same class instead of bumping you to full Y. I'd give them 6 to 8 months before you start seeing it in the wild.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

triple sulk posted:

AAdvantage just got kind of annihilated and while economy redemptions didn't change as much, premium cabin redemptions are hilariously expensive now. MileSAAver from US -> Europe in first is 85k miles each way.

For what it's worth, while there are some hilariously awful redemption points, most of what they did was bring them in line with the hilariously awful redemption points of UA and DL.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

This is changing. I was at the mothership in Chicago a couple of weeks ago (charity event for United We Care) and one of the presentations was on their new "Journey Management System" which keeps all rebookings in the same class instead of bumping you to full Y. I'd give them 6 to 8 months before you start seeing it in the wild.

It makes sense it was always a dumb bug and way unfair to premiers on the battleground gate upgrade board. For awhile we were catching 1.5 base MP earnings on those Y too, they knock that poo poo off a few years ago lol.

So is part of this "Journey Management System" still holding to not protecting my rear end proactively. That is like the most frustrating thing to come down the pike this year. You can get them to bend but not as easily as it was once to just say yo put me on another flight that last aisle seat because your MX bullshit just gave me a 40min connection and we're still waiting.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Almost all the AA flights out of ORD are seriously delayed or straight up cancelled. What's going on?

ETA: what is the least obnoxious way to find out what's going on? The site I use only gives me avg delay times.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-ohare-wind-delays-met-1119-20151118-story.html

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

taco show posted:

Almost all the AA flights out of ORD are seriously delayed or straight up cancelled. What's going on?

ETA: what is the least obnoxious way to find out what's going on? The site I use only gives me avg delay times.

Honestly Flyertalk. Just don't get sidetracked by the people complaining how the Admiral's club is descending into anarchy due to running out of lemon scented cocktail napkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Thanks y'all. I guess I have time for frontera now