Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green

GoodBee posted:

a day of murder pants (not really that bad, just my cup will fill up in less than 12 hours, more like I need to empty in 10 hours when I get home from work rather than it's fine until I go to bed in 15 or 16 hours. On most of the other days I'm fine emptying my cup at 7 am and then again somewhere between 6 and midnight, whenever is convenient.

Hahahaha this is not murder pants.

In an update that nobody asked for, vitamin D supplements and soy milk have improved my irregular periods and PMS issues 90%. My periods are still really, really heavy for a day (changing my cup once an hour - this is murder pants), but everything else is so much more bearable that I can't complain. So glad I didn't remove my Paragard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

akulol posted:

I super, super know that feel. The last year or so, I feel like anything can set off a yeast infection. "a toss up if sex would trigger an infection" sounds like the last 4 months of my life. It's the worst. I've been taking some hippie bullshit anti-yeast stuff (note: i do not really believe in hippie medicine but the placebo effect is a real thing, haha) and chugging the yogurt like a champ and I feel like I'm juuuust holding one back. I wish I could offer some advice :( if you figure out how to fix it, by all means, please tell me!!

just to follow up the fix seems to be having it out because my period has come and gone, sex has been had, and I even ate Halloween candy and no yeast infections. :toot: dang body just wasn't cool with the iud i guess :shrug:

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kyashi posted:

just to follow up the fix seems to be having it out because my period has come and gone, sex has been had, and I even ate Halloween candy and no yeast infections. :toot: dang body just wasn't cool with the iud i guess :shrug:

My god, I'm jealous.

My battle against yeast was a losing one. I got a fluconazole from my doctor yesterday, but it feels worse today - I'm trying to grade papers in an unsuccessful effort to ignore wanting to violently scratch.

I'm tempted to get an OTC yeast treatment. Which ones work? Plx halp. :(

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

akulol posted:

My god, I'm jealous.

My battle against yeast was a losing one. I got a fluconazole from my doctor yesterday, but it feels worse today - I'm trying to grade papers in an unsuccessful effort to ignore wanting to violently scratch.

Only OTC treatment I've ever tried was AZO Yeast, but it worked pretty well back when I had regular yeast infections. Then again, I think I have regular yeast infections AGAIN... or just one that I haven't been able to get rid of. I can't even tell anymore. :tinfoil:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

akulol posted:

My god, I'm jealous.

A lot of times when I've taken fluconazole, the symptoms would get worse at first then better. I know everything says it should improve pretty quickly, but I always had like a really itchy day or two before it would clear up. Also usually you take two of these a week apart, so this is probably just the first dose.

Pretty much any over the counter stuff is going to be fine, it's more about how much you want to spend and how long you want have ointment going everywhere. I usually used the 3 day clotrimazole, because the 1 day treatments weren't long enough to work, 7 days is too long for and miconazole (the stuff in Monistat) was too irritating for me. They're a little more pricey but I liked the ones that had cream and little vaginal suppositories just because slightly less mess.

I'm not really sure if OTC is going to help much if the prescription isn't. Did the doctor actually test you for yeast? Like I mentioned before there have been times I was convinced I had an infection, but the doctor would test and find BV or find nothing abnormal at all.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 29, 2015

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

I'm not really sure if OTC is going to help much if the prescription isn't. Did the doctor actually test you for yeast? Like I mentioned before there have been times I was convinced I had an infection, but the doctor would test and find BV or find nothing abnormal at all.

She only gave me 1 fluconazole even though I asked for two :(
She did test for yeast and it was there. I'm like 80% sure I'm getting it from boyfriend recurrently - he has no genital symptoms, but he's got throat yeast, and we use his spit, lol. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to take care of that, because if I get one more drat yeast infection I'm going to quarantine my poor vagina. Sigh.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Read whatever OTC thing you buy and make sure it actually has an active ingredient and isn't homeopathic bullshit. The amount of non-medicine pharmacies are stocking now has skyrocketed.

That said, most of the medicinal creams will probably help control symptoms and make you more comfortable while the pills work.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

She only gave me 1 fluconazole even though I asked for two :(
She did test for yeast and it was there. I'm like 80% sure I'm getting it from boyfriend recurrently - he has no genital symptoms, but he's got throat yeast, and we use his spit, lol. I'm trying to convince him that he needs to take care of that, because if I get one more drat yeast infection I'm going to quarantine my poor vagina. Sigh.

Well you don't take two at a time, but every time I've taken them it's always been 2 doses taken a week apart.

Men can have genital yeast infections without any symptoms so it's entirely possible he could have it there with no obvious signs. But has he been tested or seen a doctor at all? I don't understand where the throat diagnosis is coming from. Plus if it is thrush he can get treated and checked out, because it's not really normal to have that as a healthy adult (that's not on antibiotics or something along those lines).

GoodBee posted:

Read whatever OTC thing you buy and make sure it actually has an active ingredient and isn't homeopathic bullshit. The amount of non-medicine pharmacies are stocking now has skyrocketed.

That said, most of the medicinal creams will probably help control symptoms and make you more comfortable while the pills work.

Yeah, the AZO yeast treatment mentioned earlier is homeopathic stuff with no antifungal ingredient in sight other than maybe having a probiotic.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah, the AZO yeast treatment mentioned earlier is homeopathic stuff with no antifungal ingredient in sight other than maybe having a probiotic.

Doesn't really surprise me actually! The only time I took it was waaaaay back when, so thankfully I haven't bothered with it this time around. Guess I'll have to call my doc to prescribe me some more actual medicine for it.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have never had a yeast infection but many of my lady friends who have said DO NOT USE the Monistat 1 Day or your lady junk will burn like 10,000 suns. :supaburn:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

There's an over the counter pill I tried once that I can't remember the name of that was loving great. But like the filthy loving hippie I am, I have used yogurt and garlic in the past with great success for yeast infections.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

cash crab posted:

There's an over the counter pill I tried once that I can't remember the name of that was loving great. But like the filthy loving hippie I am, I have used yogurt and garlic in the past with great success for yeast infections.

It would have been Diflucan, fluconazole is OTC in canada.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scudworth posted:

It would have been Diflucan, fluconazole is OTC in canada.

Ah, yes, that's the one. Thanks.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I have never had a yeast infection but many of my lady friends who have said DO NOT USE the Monistat 1 Day or your lady junk will burn like 10,000 suns. :supaburn:

They all burn to some extent. I think the 1 day ones are just really high dose or something (and always worthless for me because it's just not enough time). Really expensive too - to the point that even out of pocket, the prescription stuff is cheaper.

cash crab posted:

I've found yogurt to be helpful too. But I also found out the hard way that it can cause an overgrowth of the "good bacteria" and give you something just as irritating as yeast, called cytolytic vaginosis. So be careful with that unless you want to sit in baking soda baths for a week. :sigh: I only say this because I see a lot of people online who seem to think that you can't overdo it with stuff like yogurt or probiotics because it's natural but you absolutely can.

Edit: Wow, so it seems I've gone from 7+ day periods to about 3-4 days now. :stare: I've lost a bunch of weight in the past few months which might be a factor, but it's a really (pleasant) surprise.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 31, 2015

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Oh.. Hey you dudes. Really really really long time no talk. Some of you may remember my troubles getting my doctor to take me seriously about wanting a full hysto, despite brutal endo pain and complications I had my tubes tied ages ago, and when that happened they discovered I had endo.

Jump to years later, I just had a full hysterectomy to (hopefully) rid myself of stage 4 endo. The doc said it was the worst adhesions she's ever seen. :( I've been posting my whole saga of loving awful over in the endo thread as it happens, so here's the story. It's long and awful. You've been warned.

---

Oct 20

That drat Satyr posted:

Xpost to chronic pain thread.

Remember when I said we were hoping for the best but planning for the worst?  Well the record for new worst has just been set apparently.

Taken back at 7:30ish, didn't wake up in recovery until nearly 4.  Was brought straight to my room.  Got the cruel discovery that I'd been catheterised at about 5.

Doctor O came in around 5ish as well to discuss the surgery with me in more detail, since all I've gotten at this point is that they ran my hemoglobin, it was quite low, and so as a safety precaution they went ahead and have me a transfusion. 

Once they were in laparoscopically, it became clearly evident that if they tried to get all the endo removed in that way would be long rear end surgery... And so I am sporting a big 18inch incision directly across my tummy as well as one under, from the failed laparoscopy.

So, in they went through my tummy and for drat good reason.   Once inside, it becomes a chaotic mass of adhesions. She said that my situation was one of the worst stages of stage 4 endo she's seen in a long time. My uterus had slipped /behind/ my bladder, and both had adhered to the top of my bowels. My right ovary was mostly OK, just a few spots. What you would expect. My left ovary was missing completely, and the cavity it was supposed to be in was a thick mass of adhesion. They dug all over for it, cauterising sores and adhesions as they went, and eventually even so far as looking in my charts to make sure I hadn't had it previously removed. They finally found it, adhered to my abdominal cavity wall, adhesions beginning to leech through the membrane and into the muscle wall itself. They basically had to do micro-surgery to get it - and all the adhesions - out. The entire ovary didn't even /look/ like an ovary, it was one giant hard mass of adhesions.

At this point they decided to leave my cervix because to get to it would require a lot more cutting, and while there's nothing left to produce estrogen and endometrial cells, because I already have adhesions it means they can easily form. So, the smallest amount of cutting possible = the best for me. So they packed the newly empty spaces with reabsorbing cloth and delicately put me back together. I recorded a video of what all she said to me, as I'd never remember it all and I'm probably not remembering it all even now.

I've been on a cocktail of Diulaudid, toridol, morphine, oxycodone and ativan, and the pain is still almost more than I can stand. I didn't finish this post last night because I had a bad wave of pain come up at about 7ish, called for the nurse at 7:10 and they said she would be right over with pain meds. Half past and she still hadn't shown up, but my grandparents did and my Pa went to get a nurse. He said she waived him off and said she knew already. At this point I had been screaming and crying for 20 mins. Finally, at 15 till 8 a nurse comes in with the excuse that they had a c-section patient come in. Like I didn't spend well over an hour screaming at the top of my lungs in pain? Who makes that kind of excuse when you've just made a patient suffer to the point they're screaming?

So...yeah. Surgery went bad, the nurse up here is kind of a jerk and I am in a hell of a lot of pain.

Oct 24

That drat Satyr posted:

So, I'm now back in hospital.

Yesterday midday I took a nap and when I awoke I was chilling so bad I couldn't stop shaking. Couldn't find the thermometer to get my temp, so had to wait for mom to get off to drop one by.

Fever was at 102.

My husband called the helpline on my discharge paperwork to get advice and was put through to the OBGYN on call - the doctor that put me through so much hell over these surgeries in the first place. I'm sure she felt vindicated but quite frankly I feel so bad that I don't give a drat. She advised coming to the ER.

Upon arrival I was seen immediately, and the first nurse that laid eyes on me / the incision said she thought I had a "pretty raging" case of cellulitus going on near the incision and possible infection, but of course the doctor would make the final call.

When the doctor finally made it down to see me, I was promptly re-admitted to hospital. Thank god this time around the nurses caring for me have been amazing and helpful. They did a CT scan last night with both iv and oral contrast and found no pooled liquid internally, so I guess no infection inside and no internal bleeding.

This morning they drew blood and a short while later the nurse came in and said my hemoglobin was at 8.7 and that I needed to 'be careful' with myself today.

My doc still hasn't quite made it in this morning, I guess when she does I'll edit with what she has to say about my current condition.

Oct 26

That drat Satyr posted:

Sorry I forgot to edit, I reckoned a bump would be well enough. I remain hospitalized, now it being the... Fourth night? With today marking a week from surgery, I got one night of freedom before I had to come back.

The incision site was not happy at all when the doc came to have a look at it, and put me on a strong course of antibiotics, I dont even remember what. That night I had another 101+ fever, the next day she came and said it was looking "more angry" and that we'd keep cleaning it and see, and she removed the staples. Yesterday her inspection and judgement was that it's definitely more infected than it was, let's hit it with something harder - and then she began the shuffle to find something I could safely take, as I get anapheleptic reactions from sulfa, ceuphlosporins and most of the penecillin family.

Finally she came back with one to try - gentamicin - and it's been absolutely atrocious, giving me nightmares and mild hallucinations. The fever has also consistently returned each night, leaving me in a flurry of cold sweats, burning up hot flashes, and no real in between.

Today the incision was kind of not so good, the wound-hold strips were all gunky and we were having a hard time deciding if it was from seepage or residue from cleaning. Got the wound rinsed and re-bandadged, and it turns out now I've been moved to 'kill it with fire' levels of antibiotics, adding in Vancomycin and, hesitantly to be started in the morning g after we chat again, Bactrim. The last one falls into the category of meds that, as far as I'm aware of, I've been allergic my entire life. When I was a baby I had the reactions and almost died. The thing is, some while ago I'm almost certain, after I had my last abalation, that we had to resort to a sulfa to kick a UTI out of me. I've already given my tentative permission for them to administer it, but the nurse wants to wait for the Dr to come tomorrow so we can talk again. So far the worst reaction I've gotten has been extreme scalp itchyness while the Vancomycin was going in.

I don't want to say that I'm regretting my surgery, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but goddamn I didn't realize it was going to go this badly right from the start.

The only real silver lining I've gotten this hospital trip has been that they put me in the proper surgery-recovery ward, instead of in labor and delivery, which was where I was horribly mistreated. Every nurse here has gone out if their way to stop and chat, be friendly, get anything I need in a reasonable time, and just generally have had compassion. The nurse that took care of me the first night I was here couldn't have looked after me better if she's been my own mother.

Anyway. I had a fever over 100.4 again tonight, and its the hospital policy that if a patient's fever is that or higher they can't be discharged for 24 hours... And since night discharges aren't a thing, I'm stuck here yet another night, tomorrow night. Sigh.

----

So, cue to now. I've been out of hospital for a couple days now, trying to take it easy and rest. I'm still having the 'infection' pain in a certain spot on my incision, but I'm also still on meds so... Hoping it resolves. No more fever, and that's what really matters the most. I'm weak as hell, but getting stronger. I think through this whole mess I've lost like 8lbs from just... Not being able to eat.

Having my gallbladder, my appendix out... Any of my abalation were nothing like this. Ugh. I keep telling myself I did this for a reason, but its hard to see that through all of this pain.

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 1, 2015

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I have a question about my copper IUD.

I've had my IUD for over a year now (maybe two?). A handful of times, a day or two after my period is finished, I have what I believe to be a vasovagal response where I get severe cramping, nausea, urge to use the bathroom, chills -- it lasts for an hour or two and then fades completely in a matter of minutes. The cramps are significantly more intense than what I normally experience during my period. This last time it seemed to be brought about by a bowel movement.

So... is it normal? My husband is worried. I think it's my IUD shifting around and had assumed it wasn't abnormal. I'll be seeing my doctor in a month or so for a full physical and plan to ask about it then, but my husband is urging me to get it addressed sooner. I'm reluctant due to distance/time needed to see my doctor, and my impression that it's not too out of the ordinary.

a life less fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I can't really say for sure what it is, only that I never experienced anything like that when I had my IUD.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Every so often I get cramps so bad and sharp and quick I feel like I am going to poo and sometimes they are near my "period" and sometimes they aren't and it doesn't happen every month. They usually last for about an hour but I also usually take ibu as soon as I feel them coming on. I always chalked to up to "thing in my uterus".

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I've only had my iud for... 2 months and have had 2 periods. The day before each period I've had the exact same feeling. I feel like I'm going to throw up and have the most intense pain in my uterus that I literally double over in pain. It lasts for maybe 10 minutes and then I'm fine right after.

So I have no idea what causes it but afaik my iud is fine so??

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

Man, I forgot how nice it was not to have periods all the time. :sigh: I'm having my second period since going off of HBC and it's been miserable. I've never had a flow this heavy for so long and the clotting is totally ridiculous and more thematically appropriate for Halloween than November. Is this something I can expect to even out as my body adjusts to having regular periods again, or did my brief stint on HBC condemn me to periods even more nightmarish than normal? Although it might be because of endometriosis, I guess. At least the pain pill my doctor gave me is helping better than regular Advil.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

Every so often I get cramps so bad and sharp and quick I feel like I am going to poo and sometimes they are near my "period" and sometimes they aren't and it doesn't happen every month. They usually last for about an hour but I also usually take ibu as soon as I feel them coming on. I always chalked to up to "thing in my uterus".

I've gotten the sharp twinges and pains before, but I've never felt like I was going to throw up/chills/cramps etc. and I wouldn't really describe it as all that severe so I don't know. :shrug:

Trogdor_666
Mar 12, 2010
Is there a cure for micro penis?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, just click on any spam email for thorough instructions.

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within

Urban Wizard posted:

Man, I forgot how nice it was not to have periods all the time. :sigh: I'm having my second period since going off of HBC and it's been miserable. I've never had a flow this heavy for so long and the clotting is totally ridiculous and more thematically appropriate for Halloween than November. Is this something I can expect to even out as my body adjusts to having regular periods again, or did my brief stint on HBC condemn me to periods even more nightmarish than normal? Although it might be because of endometriosis, I guess. At least the pain pill my doctor gave me is helping better than regular Advil.

It took my body a full year to even out after a year on Depo Provera. Just as it takes a while for your body to adjust to newly taking BC pills, it can also take a while to adjust to going off of them. Give it a few more months and I bet you'll be back to normal (normal as in what you were before you started BC pills to begin with).

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

AquarianFire posted:

It took my body a full year to even out after a year on Depo Provera. Just as it takes a while for your body to adjust to newly taking BC pills, it can also take a while to adjust to going off of them. Give it a few more months and I bet you'll be back to normal (normal as in what you were before you started BC pills to begin with).
From what my doctor (and the internet) says, it can take a month or 2 to up to 18 mos to even out after Depo. Reading your post worries me that I'll be suffering with weird periods for a year. My last Depo shot was in June, got my tubes removed in July, and got my first period on Oct. 31. It lasted till Nov. 11. Not fun at all. I was so tired I missed a day of work and felt like I had freaking mono. I really hope this doesn't continue to happen. There are only so many Kotex coupons I can find...

AquarianFire
Dec 24, 2006

Unleashing the Fire Within

Pig Head posted:

From what my doctor (and the internet) says, it can take a month or 2 to up to 18 mos to even out after Depo. Reading your post worries me that I'll be suffering with weird periods for a year. My last Depo shot was in June, got my tubes removed in July, and got my first period on Oct. 31. It lasted till Nov. 11. Not fun at all. I was so tired I missed a day of work and felt like I had freaking mono. I really hope this doesn't continue to happen. There are only so many Kotex coupons I can find...

For me, that happened twice in a row once my periods jump started back up. After that, I got more and more back into my normal cycle, with random spotting sometimes and one month where I totally just skipped a period all together. I went off it in November of last year, didn't get a period again until March/April (but had random spotting and weirdness in between) and I just started feeling 100% normal again with my last 2-3 periods (basically August timeframe). July was the month I skipped all together, and May and June periods didn't have much time in between them, but finally the August and September periods seemed to come at normal time and lasted a normal amount of days that I was used to before heading into the Depo nightmare. I also noticed other positives that were coming back... sex drive was slowly increasing (but still not back to normal...sigh), my happiness scale has been jumpstarted (I didn't even have the desire to listen to music while on Depo - which is totally out of character for me), my weight is finally stable (gaining 20 lbs on Depo with the scale creeping up everytime I stepped on it... ugh), and other just random personality changes that finally make me feel like I'm back to my old self. So, while coming off it takes a bit, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Side note: I don't want my post to be against Depo. It worked WONDERS for me in getting rid of a HUGE cyst I had on my right ovary that my doctors assumed was my endometriosis coming back. I had an ultrasound and the doctor basically told me it was a chocolate cyst because they couldn't see through it and *I* asked to go on Depo as a last measure before having surgery again. When I went back a year later, after being on Depo, the cyst was gone. Like totally gone and that's when I decided that I was done with Depo. It worked and now I needed to get that poo poo out of me. So while Depo can have crazy side effects and can drive some people crazy, it worked wonders for me and I would totally do it all over again if I needed to. This was the 2nd time in 20 years that Depo basically saved me.

Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

AquarianFire posted:

For me, that happened twice in a row once my periods jump started back up. After that, I got more and more back into my normal cycle, with random spotting sometimes and one month where I totally just skipped a period all together. I went off it in November of last year, didn't get a period again until March/April (but had random spotting and weirdness in between) and I just started feeling 100% normal again with my last 2-3 periods (basically August timeframe). July was the month I skipped all together, and May and June periods didn't have much time in between them, but finally the August and September periods seemed to come at normal time and lasted a normal amount of days that I was used to before heading into the Depo nightmare. I also noticed other positives that were coming back... sex drive was slowly increasing (but still not back to normal...sigh), my happiness scale has been jumpstarted (I didn't even have the desire to listen to music while on Depo - which is totally out of character for me), my weight is finally stable (gaining 20 lbs on Depo with the scale creeping up everytime I stepped on it... ugh), and other just random personality changes that finally make me feel like I'm back to my old self. So, while coming off it takes a bit, there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Side note: I don't want my post to be against Depo. It worked WONDERS for me in getting rid of a HUGE cyst I had on my right ovary that my doctors assumed was my endometriosis coming back. I had an ultrasound and the doctor basically told me it was a chocolate cyst because they couldn't see through it and *I* asked to go on Depo as a last measure before having surgery again. When I went back a year later, after being on Depo, the cyst was gone. Like totally gone and that's when I decided that I was done with Depo. It worked and now I needed to get that poo poo out of me. So while Depo can have crazy side effects and can drive some people crazy, it worked wonders for me and I would totally do it all over again if I needed to. This was the 2nd time in 20 years that Depo basically saved me.
Dang, I had no idea being on Depo could shrink a cyst. Learn something new every day! Regardless of those side effects you experienced, that's great news. I had very few side effects from the shot other than zits with every 'no-period-cycle' - I haven't had any big zits to speak of for 20+ yrs so that was kind of difficult to deal with. Oh, and the loving weight gain. That's been the worst part. I gained exactly 14 lbs since my first shot in March and it's not budging yet. Then again, since I've been on Depo, I've had 2 surgeries and a host of tooth issues so all of those things certainly haven't helped me on the scale. It blows.

I'm glad to hear about this goofiness coming off of Depo. I was considering calling my doctor to ask if that crazy period I had was normal but I know she would have wanted to see me and I'd be hit with a copay. No thanks.

I will say too that I never, ever, ever kept track of my periods until I got the P Tracker app last year. It's fabulous. I feel so period-organized now. :)

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Quick question... My gf was on Depo for the first time. Just at the end of the 12 week time-frame (about 3-4 days left of it). She just finished having her period yesterday.

I'm assuming the next 3-4 days she is still protected under it... or no? Or would it not be advised to rely on it for another few days?

She wants to go back on the pill, but it's going to take 2-weeks before her doctor gets back to prescribe it. We plan to use a condom for that time, but for the next 4 days I assumed it's still covered under it's effects?

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

I just skipped a period. :gonk:

- I use nuvaring, I'm really good about taking it in/out at the right time each month, and I almost never take it out during the 3 weeks it's supposed to be in

- I had unprotected sex once in the past month

- my periods are always really light, usually lasting 24 or 48 hours at most

- I had a few months of exercise-induced amenorrhea about a year or more ago. Eating more and laying off the biking a bit fixed me up then.

- I'm not working out nearly as much now as I was then, honestly maybe half as often as I was.

- I was under a lot of stress at work during the last few weeks.

- I've gained 2-3 lbs in the past couple months (intentionally, trying to gain muscle, have a mid-range/normal BMI)

- normally I take out my nuvaring Monday PM, get my period Friday PM or Saturday AM, then it's over by the time I put in my ring on Monday PM. That was yesterday, still no period.

Should I get a pregnancy test? :ohdear:

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

- I was under a lot of stress at work during the last few weeks.

Ding ding ding! More than likely the reason. Go pee on a stick, they're super cheap and it will put you at ease more than some words on a comedy forum could. :glomp:

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

BlueOccamy posted:

Ding ding ding! More than likely the reason. Go pee on a stick, they're super cheap and it will put you at ease more than some words on a comedy forum could. :glomp:

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time for it to be accurate?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

If you've missed your period, any test should be accurate. I use my first pee of the morning on pee sticks, too.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
*You didn't have unprotected sex, birth control is protection. Condomless sex, but not unprotected.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

T. J. Eckleburg posted:

If you've missed a period it should be pretty accurate. The last test I took also came with a little slip of paper in it that had a chart outlining the % accuracy based on the timing of the test.

But it sounds like you're using your birth control as you should so stress and any kind of weight fluctuations are probably the more likely culprit. I've been trying to lose weight the past couple of months and ended up over a week late once recently (which for me is really late and unusual).

akulol
Apr 14, 2008
Hello Paragard Pals,

I've had mine since mid-september and generally get my period around the 12th of the month. I've had really sore, tender boobs all of last week, and on Saturday (the 5th), I started having that dark, stringy discharge I generally get at the end of my period, even though I've got a solid week and a half before it's normal blood time. It persisted as the dark stringy stuff until today, where it seems to have escalated into full blown period, even though I'm mysteriously without cramps. The last two periods have been crampy hell for me, so this is extra confusing. Did anyone else have anything like this happen? I've also got some sort of terrible cold, too, so I'm bonus miserable. Weird stuff comin out of everywhere... blah. I took a pregnancy test (ok, I took two) and am not pregnant.

Also, also, this might be the weirdest symptomy thing, but when boyfriend and I have sex, it sometimes feels like he's hitting some sort of internal structure (not cervix). It'll have this kind of clicky feel that doesn't necessarily hurt but just feels weird. It seems to only happen in certain positions (if I'm tilted in some way or if I'm on top). It's extremely distracting. This hasn't happened before with any sex partner ever, or even with the current one before a month or two ago. I was at the gyno the other day for a routine checkup and forgot to mention it, but she didn't say she saw anything weird. Any ideas?

Thanks goons! I think I'm going nuts. :confused:

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Has anyone gotten a prescription for Ella from Planned Parenthood? How much was it? I'm going in tomorrow morning :/

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Just as an update, for anyone curious or worried about post-surgery: for the past few months my body has apparently decided that being sterilized means light 3 day periods with no cramps. :woop: I know it's not typical and who knows how long it will last but it's pretty great! Nothing else to speak of though, feeling very normal in every sense.

akulol posted:

Hello Paragard Pals,

I've had mine since mid-september and generally get my period around the 12th of the month. I've had really sore, tender boobs all of last week, and on Saturday (the 5th), I started having that dark, stringy discharge I generally get at the end of my period, even though I've got a solid week and a half before it's normal blood time. It persisted as the dark stringy stuff until today, where it seems to have escalated into full blown period, even though I'm mysteriously without cramps. The last two periods have been crampy hell for me, so this is extra confusing. Did anyone else have anything like this happen? I've also got some sort of terrible cold, too, so I'm bonus miserable. Weird stuff comin out of everywhere... blah. I took a pregnancy test (ok, I took two) and am not pregnant.

Also, also, this might be the weirdest symptomy thing, but when boyfriend and I have sex, it sometimes feels like he's hitting some sort of internal structure (not cervix). It'll have this kind of clicky feel that doesn't necessarily hurt but just feels weird. It seems to only happen in certain positions (if I'm tilted in some way or if I'm on top). It's extremely distracting. This hasn't happened before with any sex partner ever, or even with the current one before a month or two ago. I was at the gyno the other day for a routine checkup and forgot to mention it, but she didn't say she saw anything weird. Any ideas?

Thanks goons! I think I'm going nuts. :confused:

Just to be sure I understand (not making fun here), you're worried about not having cramps? In any case, I definitely had periods on Paragard that either didn't have cramps at all or maybe had them for a day and none for the rest of it. For me that was after the 6 month mark when things got "settled" but maybe your body has just adjusted sooner. I don't think it's a sign of anything bad really if everything seems to still be in there (which I assume your gynecologist would have caught).

I never had the sensation you're talking about during sex or at least I don't think I did, so I won't be much help there.

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

Just to be sure I understand (not making fun here), you're worried about not having cramps? In any case, I definitely had periods on Paragard that either didn't have cramps at all or maybe had them for a day and none for the rest of it. For me that was after the 6 month mark when things got "settled" but maybe your body has just adjusted sooner. I don't think it's a sign of anything bad really if everything seems to still be in there (which I assume your gynecologist would have caught).

poo poo, yep, I guess I am complaining about that. haha. Good lord, the amount of blood I've lost over the last few days has been crazy. Do any of you use a diva cup or a similar device and play highish impact sports? I hate tampons, but the idea of doing a heavy clean and jerk and having a diva cup explode out of my crotch and spew blood everywhere is pretty terrifying, haha. You're welcome for that imagery

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

akulol posted:

poo poo, yep, I guess I am complaining about that. haha. Good lord, the amount of blood I've lost over the last few days has been crazy. Do any of you use a diva cup or a similar device and play highish impact sports? I hate tampons, but the idea of doing a heavy clean and jerk and having a diva cup explode out of my crotch and spew blood everywhere is pretty terrifying, haha. You're welcome for that imagery

No big deal, it's just the first time I'd heard that complaint. It is definitely possible to have cramp-free (or mostly free) periods with Paragard.

And if no one here has an answer, there's a Menstrual cup thread here in Ask/Tell that seems to stay pretty active. I usually just used the giant Ultra absorbency tampons for the worst days, but of course you said you hated tampons and I definitely didn't do sports of any kind. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akulol
Apr 14, 2008

Kimmalah posted:

No big deal, it's just the first time I'd heard that complaint. It is definitely possible to have cramp-free (or mostly free) periods with Paragard.

And if no one here has an answer, there's a Menstrual cup thread here in Ask/Tell that seems to stay pretty active. I usually just used the giant Ultra absorbency tampons for the worst days, but of course you said you hated tampons and I definitely didn't do sports of any kind. :v:

I'm sort of just skeptical this is the secret start to an ultraperiod that will begin phase 2 (painfully) on the day my period is "supposed" to start. ULTRAPERIOD.

Thanks so much for all your responses, you've been super helpful! :)

• Locked thread