Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

To be fair to Tifa, she wasn't lying for the sake of lying. She genuinely doesn't know what happened because even though Cloud is getting details wrong, he also knows things he shouldn't know. Remember, she didn't think Cloud was there at all. So while Cloud's recollection conflicts with her own, she comes to doubt her own memories because Cloud can't just be making things up.

There's a weird strain of thought I've found online that almost blames Tifa and Aerith for not telling Cloud anything was wrong. Nevermind Aerith probably didn't realize anything was off until way later, both of them were trying to help Cloud. Some people try to spin it like they wee basically using Cloud and didn't care about how hosed up he was so long as they got what they wanted. They forget that, when the truth is finally revealed to Cloud, he falls apart. It wasn't even Sephiroth who did it, not really. It was just Sephiroth making him think. Once Cloud stopped to contemplate his past, he realized 'hey...I was Soldier 1st Class but when did I actually join?! I can't remember!" His psyche was scotchtaped back together by Jenova Cells and when any real pressure was applied it all fell apart. I think that's why Tifa and Aerith didn't press the subject.

The real offender and enabler is Barret. After Cloud gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth and attacks Aerith, he's justifiably concerned with what he'll do next and refuses to continue on the quest. "I'm not going to put the world in any more danger because Sephiroth will make me do evil poo poo." And then, in the face of this perfectly sound reasoning, Barret just says "no, gently caress you. You gotta keep goin' because there ain't no gettin' off this train we on. We're gonna ride this train right off the tracks so we all crash and burn."

FFVII is a good game and also it's very easy to understand the characters even with the less than perfect translation.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I must have played through FF7 at least ten times but the idea that Aerith was doing something other than actually selling flowers had never crossed my mind before....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

In spite of their iconic status, I was never impressed with either J-E-N-O-V-A or One-Winged Angel in FFVII. I mean, they weren't bad, but they also weren't super amazing. AC gave us far more impressive versions.

Actually....nevermind. I forgot the version of J-E-N-O-V-A in Advent Children and the one The Black Mages did for their album are different. Their album one was the one I was thinking of as really good.

[Still, OWA is way better in AC. The original music is great too, of course. My favorite has always been Battle in the Forgotten City.

The secret of AC is just to let your eyes and ears feast. It's very pretty and it sounds great.

I didn't know about one winged angel and I still poo poo my drawers when it kicked it during the final battle when I first played FFVII like two years ago. The song is awesome.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I must have played through FF7 at least ten times but the idea that Aerith was doing something other than actually selling flowers had never crossed my mind before....

It's not true. it...i-it can't be true

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

epitasis posted:

you guys are making ff7 sound... interesting??? hope that remake comes out someday so I can play it

It's one of the all time greats for a reason

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think aeris was a hooker, guys

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm pretty sure she's just selling flowers. She can turn it into a living because of her street smarts letting her exploit the creepers. Like when Cloud is busy goofiin around in the tub with Mukki, she's out front swindling creepers for several grand per flower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The original version of OWA is amazing and a natural evolution after the FF6 end of game boss music was basically Tarkus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The original version of OWA is amazing and a natural evolution after the FF6 end of game boss music was basically Tarkus

Imagine how loving awesome it's going to be to see that 3 minute attack animation where Sephiroth blows up the universe one planet at a time at 1080p60fps.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

zedprime posted:

I'm pretty sure she's just selling flowers. She can turn it into a living because of her street smarts letting her exploit the creepers. Like when Cloud is busy goofiin around in the tub with Mukki, she's out front swindling creepers for several grand per flower.

Yeah. She's a lot more street savvy then I understood when first playing the game, but I don't like she literally makes a living as a prostitute.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone that has to make a living out of such a place would be quite street savvy and even sort of devious in getting people to buy their wares, especially something as "worthless" as flowers. You survive the best you can do in a place like that.

Of course that, between the no policing and the extreme need for escapism, those sorts of place are a drug dealer's heaven. Makes you think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Imagine how loving awesome it's going to be to see that 3 minute attack animation where Sephiroth blows up the universe one planet at a time at 1080p60fps.

Won't get chance after I mime chain Knights of the Round while I make a cup of tea

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone that has to make a living out of such a place would be quite street savvy and even sort of devious in getting people to buy their wares, especially something as "worthless" as flowers. You survive the best you can do in a place like that.

Of course that, between the no policing and the extreme need for escapism, those sorts of place are a drug dealer's heaven. Makes you think.

Marlene is the most savviest as Tifa saw fit to leave her, a seven-year-old, in charge of the bar in the slums. Then again, who else did Tifa have. Even if babysitters were available to slum dwellers what do you tell them? "I don't know how long I'll be gone as I'm a terrorist trying to blow up an invaluable reactor run by the despotic world government/corporation."

Seriously though Tifa isn't very street smart is my point.

EDIT:

Actually hold on, Marlene is only four. It just gets better/worse.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

epitasis posted:

you guys are making ff7 sound... interesting??? hope that remake comes out someday so I can play it

The original FF7 hasn't aged particularly well but it's worth giving a try. Most digital storefronts have it around for $10 and less during sales. The remake is likely to make significant changes.

Pureauthor posted:

Regardless of what they do with it the FF7 remake is gonna be fun to with reactions to.

It would be funny if they made the FF7 remake into an open world Fallout clone because Fallout 4 shipped more copies at launch day than FF7 sold in its life time.

I can just imagine Cloud (or a fully customizable lead who can be made to look incredibly unattractive) rummaging for Chocobo meat in a garbage can or buying Mako-Poisoning-Away packs from a shop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would blow my head off with a 12 gauge if that happened.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sunning posted:

It would be funny if they made the FF7 remake into an open world Fallout clone because Fallout 4 shipped more copies at launch day than FF7 sold in its life time.

I can just imagine Cloud (or a fully customizable lead who can be made to look incredibly unattractive) rummaging for Chocobo meat in a garbage can or buying Mako-Poisoning-Away packs from a shop.

Aerith dying ruins my immersion/romance/self-insert fantasies. Voted 1, never playing again.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Seriously though Tifa isn't very street smart is my point.

Well, yes, there's a whole game about it, you don't need to bring it up. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tifa Did Nothing Wrong.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tifa owns so let's not diss her please, thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Yeah. She's a lot more street savvy then I understood when first playing the game, but I don't like she literally makes a living as a prostitute.

She doesn't.

The entire thing with Aerith is that she's street smart enough she doesn't have to do that. She is literally making her living selling flowers but she's good enough at hustling that she can turn a profit off it. The game is actually very clear about this and there is supposed to be kind of a joke to the fact that she's a flower seller who is literally selling flowers and not doing it as a code. There's even an NPC who she scams who is like "I was so excited... and then she just gave me a flower?!"

Like this isn't even a case of "you can read it that way..." The game has NPCs who make the entire thing perfectly clear.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 16, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tifa is the original waifu, so codependent she leaves the 4 year old to tend bar so she can run after Cloud as he goes to do terrorist things, and so terrified of him running away again she keeps quiet about the inconsistencies in his stories. Yet also an accomplished martial artist as well as possessing enough mental fortitude to survive immersion in the life stream without Jenova cells.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

zedprime posted:

Tifa is the original waifu, so codependent she leaves the 4 year old to tend bar so she can run after Cloud as he goes to do terrorist things, and so terrified of him running away again she keeps quiet about the inconsistencies in his stories. Yet also an accomplished martial artist as well as possessing enough mental fortitude to survive immersion in the life stream without Jenova cells.

You can also steal her panties

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

You can also steal her panties

Maybe this time it will make it into the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
In Theatrhythm Curtain Call, one way you can unlock Colletacards is by entering passwords, and all characters in the game have two for Common and Rare version of their card. Tifa's are "My fists are my weapon!" for Normal and "Orthopedic Underwear" for Rare. :v:

Incidentally, Cloud's are "Chocobo-head" and "Not interested".

E:

You can also enter "Panty shot" which will net you the Normal version of this card.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 16, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Well, Toriyama's now in a position of power, so you may yet get your wish. Creep.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I am not surprised Toriyama was behind this.

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

quote:

Kitase: When an event begins in FFVII, the other 2 party members separate themselves from Cloud’s avatar. Once the event finishes, the party recombines and Cloud is alone once more. It’s just the way the game’s set up, but Toriyama parodied that. The 3 members of AVALANCHE were like “Let’s do that too!” and do their best to combine together, but they just ended up running into each other and muttering “I guess we still don’t have enough practice.” *laughing*

This is legitimately hilarious.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

xezton posted:

This is legitimately hilarious.

And it honestly really fits the tone pretty well. RIP Good AVALANCHE skit.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

imo Toriyama should be directing FFVII remake, not Nomura; he was was actually responsible for alot of the good stuff in FFVII whereas Nomura's lasting contribution has been canonising the crappy fanfic interpretations of the main cast and scenario

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

imo Toriyama should be directing FFVII remake, not Nomura; he was was actually responsible for alot of the good stuff in FFVII whereas Nomura's lasting contribution has been canonising the crappy fanfic interpretations of the main cast and scenario

I guess if you ignored the last decade of Toriyama, including killing Aya Breya and having a 12 year old have her clothes ripped apart

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tae posted:

I guess if you ignored the last decade of Toriyama, including killing Aya Breya and having a 12 year old have her clothes ripped apart

I believe returning to his most famous and beloved work would help him put those demons to rest and become a better person :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They should give it to Yoshi-P

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I believe returning to his most famous and beloved work would help him put those demons to rest and become a better person :)

But that also is true for Nomura

Just say you don't like Nomura

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I too want a Lightning cameo and Cloud to steal Marlene's panties and carry them throughout the entire game on this groundbreaking, Toriyama-directed remake.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

quote:

Once you've come back from your fifth shower scrubbing off the imaginary filth you feel yourself covered with, you're probably wondering who would come up with such a twisted idea.

neogaf are a bunch of loving babies

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

neogaf poster goes to japan, sees used panty vending machine and promptly dies on the spot from righteous moral indignation

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those never actually existed and they even made beer vending machines illegal. :( You could still see them when I was there a few years ago, they just had the coin slot blocked.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Terper posted:

They should give it to Yoshi-P

I'm surprised the guy hasn't died from overworking already, I don't think he needs further projects on his shoulders.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Excels posted:

neogaf are a bunch of loving babies

Even though that was 3 years ago from the post dates, that place is still a competition to have the most PG opinion as possible in hopes that someone will quote you and say "this".

I wouldn't hate it if FF7 remake was cancelled for a XIII trilogy remake so that it all plays like Lightning Returns, except LR which now plays like Devil May Cry 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Those never actually existed and they even made beer vending machines illegal. :( You could still see them when I was there a few years ago, they just had the coin slot blocked.

they have machines that dispense "kakou" sexy lady underwear, they just aren't actually "used". they're like pre-fade jeans