Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Is it bad that I'm probably going to buy that in spite of not owning a PS4 or an Xbone yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Plom Bar posted:

Is it bad that I'm probably going to buy that in spite of not owning a PS4 or an Xbone yet?

The European press release mentions a PC version as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Decius posted:

She usually jumps into herself in the past, has the memories of her "future" self until she leaves. The thing is, she doesn't leave this time. She never will leave again. She stays in her body, she retains the memory. The butterfly scene and her smile makes that pretty clear, together with her visit at the lighthouse.

In other news, a physical box edition will be released: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/12/life-is-strange-limited-edition/

I don't know what you're getting at. The current Max, the one we've been following, takes over up at the lighthouse before the funeral. The past one she jumped into was after she took the butterfly photo.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

I could do with another season of this game with maybe a fluid killer that changes based on your choices. I'd be totally cool with narrowing the scope or amount of branches needed if the 3-4 it had actually led to totally different experiences rather then all roads lead to one final choice that dictates one of two outcomes. Maybe the sheer amount of variations prevent this in this kind of genre or having to not have any kind of game ending fail state to avoid pissing people off.

How'd until dawn do? Same deal?

e: I still really liked it, and was one of those people that did not see the killer reveal coming at all.

That was kinda the game I expected from Until Dawn, your choices loving up things so much that the serial killer simply changes person beneath the mask (and possibly trigger variations in murders to give hints).

Would have to be a real messed up cast though :v:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

That was kinda the game I expected from Until Dawn, your choices loving up things so much that the serial killer simply changes person beneath the mask (and possibly trigger variations in murders to give hints).

Would have to be a real messed up cast though :v:

I recall that this is what people expected out of Heavy Rain too, but from a narrative perspective it kind of makes no sense.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Plom Bar posted:

I recall that this is what people expected out of Heavy Rain too, but from a narrative perspective it kind of makes no sense.

It was actually Cage's intention that Ethan and the killer were psychically linked, so let's not pretend that something making no narrative sense would have stopped him.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crappy Jack posted:

It was actually Cage's intention that Ethan and the killer were psychically linked, so let's not pretend that something making no narrative sense would have stopped him.

We had a big ole talk about this in the horror thread (Fitting for David Cage discussion) a while back and yeah, Heavy Rain actually turned out much more sane and reasonable than originally planned.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Read that OP because I got this for free on PS+... am I mistaken in feeling like it's basically Hipster: The Game with a Sands of Time gimmick?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fuzz posted:

Read that OP because I got this for free on PS+... am I mistaken in feeling like it's basically Hipster: The Game with a Sands of Time gimmick?

It is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fuzz posted:

It's also really good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As fair warning, the ending may really disappoint you or it may not. Regardless, everything before Episode 5 is fantastic.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 13, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Fuzz posted:

Read that OP because I got this for free on PS+...

When?

Don't recall it ever being one of the free games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fuzz posted:

It hella is

Subyng
May 4, 2013
shaka brah

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, just finished the game. Gonna finish reading through this whole thread, but I figured I'd write out my reactions about the game and the ending before I read any more, because I'm sure there's gonna be dozens of pages about it. I figured we'd be past spoilers by this point, but I see a bunch of spoilers scrolling back very recently, so I guess I'll do that.

Whoah, what a ride. I loved the game. There were some off notes, I felt, in Ep5, but I overall it was damned good. The attention to detail, and rewarding me for noticing much of that detail, was incredible.

Now onto to the ending:
I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay, because I felt in the end there wasn't really much of a choice. I see it was almost an even split, and I understand how people could have chosen the other option, but I think I made the right choice.

- I couldn't refute, couldn't destroy, couldn't undo everything I and everyone I'd gone through the game with had experienced. Everyone in the dream diner begged you not to kill them them again... but wouldn't that be what reverting would do? If I reverted, the people they were, the things they'd experienced, for every single one of them, that would be gone. The people I'd come to know, they would all be just as dead as they would be from the tornado if I chose to unmake them now. I still believe, having seen the endings, that survivors of the tornado were likely - the town was in better shape than I thought. Perhaps it is crueler to let them live after such a disaster, but...

- Seeing how much havoc I'd caused with my attempts to "fix" the past, I couldn't imagine that going back "one last time" would fix my problems. "Just one more hit"? No. It's time to embrace the things I've done, the choices I've made, and accept that some things are out of my hands. The vision I had of the tornado happened before I ever altered time - could I risk going back and letting Chloe die, creating a reality where Max was unaware this tornado was coming (because I'd overwrite her memory of learning to time travel)? Going back to "fix" things seemed like a terrible temptation, a poisoned apple. And worse yet...

- Assuming the stuff about alternate realities persisting is correct, not only would I have created a new reality where Max has to deal with everything without Chloe, without knowledge, and with a similar ending... I'd have left behind me yet another reality, and not just another reality but the only reality where we well and truly leave Chloe alone. Again. Forever. Can you imagine looking into that photo and disappearing from the cliff, leaving her to face the devastation of the tornado and it's aftermath, with many dead and injured including possibly what's left of her family, without you? I couldn't do that to her. I wouldn't just be choosing to let another Chloe die (no big deal there), I would have been choosing to abandon the Chloe that had grown over her time together and had a chance, at last, of becoming more than the girl who died in Arcadia Bay. Choose to save Arcadia Bay isn't the "good choice", it's the choice to run away from Chloe in her time and need and build a new life somewhere else without her, in some "new, better reality where Chloe is dead", and pretend that what happened never happened at all. It's repeating the exact same mistake you made at the beginning of the game, and I promised her and myself it was not something I'd ever do again. It's time to stick around and deal with the mess I've found myself instead of running away and abandoning those who are left.

- Finally, despite Warren's insistence and the nightmare's insinuations... Warren doesn't know poo poo about what's going on, really, and the nightmare lies to you over and over again. Is the storm really the result of my time travel? Because like I said, we see signs of it before I ever go back in time, and if anything I feel like my time travel is the first sign of whatever is happening, not the cause, and even if I chose the good ending and it seemed like things would be alright... it's clearly not. On top of them wanting me to believe it was somehow my fault, they wanted me to believe it was Chloe's fault for living, and... I don't buy it. There's obviously correlation, but there's nothing in the game that sold me on causation, and plenty of reasons not to trust the sources that try to claim the first is the second.

In summary:
Sometimes things just happen. The choice in the end felt like a choice between the selfish running away and leaving someone else to pick up the pieces of their ruined lives while you pursue your own happy ending, or learning from everything you've experienced and deciding that this time you're going to stick around and be there for the people that need you, when they need you, instead of running away again. How could I have chosen anything but what I did?

So ultimately, I was happy with the ending, even though I wish we'd gotten at least some more closure in regards to the aftermath, and I was glad I was given the option I was given.

Edit:Hahah, I finally gave in and watched the bay ending on youtube. How could anyone think this was the good ending!? It closes with the blue butterfly on the coffin as it begins to snow! You didn't stop poo poo!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 16, 2015

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Edit:Hahah, I finally gave in and watched the bay ending on youtube. How could anyone think this was the good ending!? It closes with the blue butterfly on the coffin as it begins to snow! You didn't stop poo poo!

Now that's something I didn't consider. :stare:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

For starters it's good because Chloe is dead.

But also snow? I had to check on youtube and either there are multiple Bay endings or you imagined it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Paladinus posted:

But also snow? I had to check on youtube and either there are multiple Bay endings or you imagined it.

It was in the top video for "save bay ending", plain as day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpG3W7aTyw Starts around 11:00 minutes but is hard to see, starting around 11:30 it's pretty easy to spot if you're looking for it, and it's most obvious in the scenes that are looking up at the sky.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

It was in the top video for "save bay ending", plain as day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpG3W7aTyw Starts around 11:00 minutes but is hard to see, starting around 11:30 it's pretty easy to spot if you're looking for it, and it's most obvious in the scenes that are looking up at the sky.

Uhm, what makes you think it's snow? To me it looks like their graphic engine is glitching with how light goes through the trees. That's why you don't see it in front of characters. Or those are just some random specks, because they don't even fall, but only move horizontally and upwards. That's not how snow works.

You can also tell by the photos that there were no tornado and the weather is sunny and warm instead.

\/\/\/ Maybe that's the point. Everything is so renewed and rejuvenated, it's Summer again.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I think that's intended to be flying tree fluff, like from a cottonwood tree or something. You see it in certain parts of the country. Tends to be more of an early to mid summer kind of thing though, so it would still be unseasonal in October. But I kind of doubt that's what they were going for.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

I think that's intended to be flying tree fluff, like from a cottonwood tree or something. You see it in certain parts of the country. Tends to be more of an early to mid summer kind of thing though, so it would still be unseasonal in October. But I kind of doubt that's what they were going for.

Eh, I don't know. They've demonstrated a pretty good attention to detail and leaving subtle hints throughout the entire rest of the game, I don't see why it couldn't be. I guess it could be tree fluff as well - I did spend a bit wondering if it might be pollen or seeds, but that would honestly be weirder than snow.

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, what makes you think it's snow? To me it looks like their graphic engine is glitching with how light goes through the trees. That's why you don't see it in front of characters. Or those are just some random specks, because they don't even fall, but only move horizontally and upwards. That's not how snow works.

You can also tell by the photos that there were no tornado and the weather is sunny and warm instead.
It was sunny and warm when the first snow fell, too. That's what made it weird.

It felt to me like you bought some time, but didn't actually prevent the inevitable, only delayed it. It definitely didn't seem like a graphics engine glitch to me, and it goes behind some trees and in front of others so I'm not sure if that makes sense either. And it acts like how I've seen light snow act on windy days?

I dunno, maybe it's not, but I do think it's intentional, and it seems like a weird thing to add if they didn't intend it to mean something

also are we spoiling or not spoiling?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 16, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GlyphGryph posted:

Eh, I don't know. They've demonstrated a pretty good attention to detail and leaving subtle hints throughout the entire rest of the game, I don't see why it couldn't be.

It felt to me like you bought some time, but didn't actually prevent the inevitable, only delayed it. It definitely didn't seem like a graphics engine glitch to me, and it goes behind some trees and in front of others so I'm not sure if that makes sense either. And it acts like how I've seen light snow act on windy days?

I dunno, maybe it's not, but I do think it's intentional, and it seems like a weird thing to add if they didn't intend it to mean something

I just checked out the section of the video you're talking about, and that definitely doesn't look like snow. I'm not sure what exactly it's supposed to be - probably tree fluff like someone mentioned before - but it's definitely not snow. Additionally, if it was snow, there would presumably be some reaction from the characters.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

Eh, I don't know. They've demonstrated a pretty good attention to detail and leaving subtle hints throughout the entire rest of the game, I don't see why it couldn't be.

You can see the same stuff in the other ending, too. It is not snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec6ENNForM&t=390s

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Paladinus posted:

You can see the same glitch in the other ending, too. It is not snow and it's not intentional. And again, it only appears in front of trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mec6ENNForM&t=390s

Huh, you're right about it appearing in that ending too. But you're wrong about it only appearing in front of trees. It appears in front of the road and continues being visible when it floats past the truck as well.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GlyphGryph posted:

Huh, you're right about it appearing in that ending too. But you're wrong about it only appearing in front of trees. It appears in front of the road and continues being visible when it floats past the truck as well.

Yeah, I ninja edited that out, so I'm still right. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

He hits the post button, but his argument suffers a fatal gutshot. "Rewind! Rewind!" he tells himself, before going back in time and pretending like it never happened. :v:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Y'all know that it snows in October sometimes, right?

I mean I'm always down for further validation that saving the Bay is the wrong choice but this ain't really it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Y'all know that it snows in October sometimes, right?

I mean I'm always down for further validation that saving the Bay is the wrong choice but this ain't really it.

Generally not during weather where people are wearing skirts and sleeveless shirts and the sun is shining though! And the snowing in October is sort of specifically pointed out as a weird thing for the area.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

also are we spoiling or not spoiling?

I'm all in favor of just putting the spoilers in plain text at this point. Anyone coming in here a month after the release of the final episode and not expecting spoiler discussion is bad and dumb.

As much as I would like that floating stuff to be snow, I doubt that was the intent. At the very least they would have had the characters react in some way to call attention to it. Or done some kind of 'hey look at this' camera pan across the sky to make sure the audience notices.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Generally not during weather where people are wearing skirts and sleeveless shirts and the sun is shining though!

Never been to Canada, I see. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Never been to Canada, I see. :v:

If the game was set somewhere else I might buy it, but the game itself pointed out it was a weird thing for this region and climate.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GlyphGryph posted:

If the game was set somewhere else I might buy it, but the game itself pointed out it was a weird thing for this region and climate.

Just for kicks I checked out what the weather was like in Portland this year (since the game takes place in Oregon), and the weather that month generally averaged in the 60s. That's definitely not snow weather. Given the way they talked about the snow in episode 1 - I seem to recall someone (maybe Chloe) mentioning that it was around 80 that Monday - it would be very weird if it snowed at all that week.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

So, I was thinking about even though I was happy with my ending (regardless of how I rationalized it), I was definitely unhappy with the end. I think there's problems with pacing, problems with writing, things get a bit too hamfisted and absurd and the stealth section was dumb, but my biggest complain was...

Was there any other point in the game where they made you choose an outcome rather than an action? Because your options weren't "Save Chloe or Save Arcadia Bay", they were "Refuse to change the past again" or "Undo everything in the hopes that it will lead to a better future".

I was trying to figure out why the final choice was really grinding away at me, and I think that's it. It stopped feeling like a game where I had agency and choice, and basically felt like the game was talking to me, as the player, and lazily saying "pick the one you want, I'm done".

Replaying it in my head, just changing how the two options were described could have gone a long way to making the ending feel a little better, towards making it ending where I decided what to do and lived with the consequences either way, instead of being expressly told what the outcomes were.

The person who described the ending as "hamfisted" a dozen pages back really had it right, I think - the only reason the game would have had to present it the way it did is they felt they hadn't actually communicated the situation (which they didn't) and that's definitely a failure in writing, but it's a failure in writing compounded by the choice they made to phrase the last choice the way they did.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 17, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

King of Solomon posted:

Just for kicks I checked out what the weather was like in Portland this year (since the game takes place in Oregon), and the weather that month generally averaged in the 60s. That's definitely not snow weather. Given the way they talked about the snow in episode 1 - I seem to recall someone (maybe Chloe) mentioning that it was around 80 that Monday - it would be very weird if it snowed at all that week.

To be honest, 80 would be really loving weird on the Oregon coast at any point, especially October. It's rare to break 60 in the summer.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

GlyphGryph posted:

Ending Thoughts

The options were "Sacrifice Chloe" or "Sacrifice Arcadia Bay" which are actions in my opinion. Also at that point in the game the outcome of either choice is pretty clearly laid out in front of you. I think this was a good course of action as can you imagine the rage people would feel if the choices were ambiguous or had different outcomes. Lets say you went back to let Chloe die and then come back to the present to see the tornado still loving up the town. I can see an unexpected ending being interesting but I don't think that's the story Dontnod wanted to tell. I also think it works because the end is basically "No gently caress you, you cant have a perfectly happy ending, now make a tough choice".

I cant really comment it being hamfisted as my girlfriend and I lapped that ending up and we both loved the poo poo out of it. I think people who are much well versed in Time Travel stories saw the ending coming a mile off and wanted something more unexpected or less hand-holdy so I can see it being a let down. I started to suspect the choice near the end but still really enjoyed it. The series as a whole had some flaws but it shot up in my own personal GOTY list pretty drat quickly.

I have also been organising showings of the game to friends who are less games inclined. Its fun to see people make different choices but also get enthused about those choices a TV show or movie wouldn't otherwise give them. Cant wait to see what they think of the ending.

Edit: I feel like we should still be spoiling this poo poo. The finale was only like a month ago...

Robiben fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 17, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Robiben posted:

basically "No gently caress you, you cant have a perfectly happy ending, now make a tough choice".

And why do you think this is a good thing?

(I'm obstinately sticking with my 'screw spoilers' stance. Don't come blundering into a game discussion thread a month after the product is out and expect everyone to cater to you)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Robiben posted:

[spoiler]I also think it works because the end is basically "No gently caress you, you cant have a perfectly happy ending, now make a tough choice".

I actually would have been happy with a bad/bittersweet ending if they'd committed to the concept instead of the half-assed attempt they made here. Imagine an alternate ending pair where:

Sacrifice Chloe: You go back in time, you let her die, you come back to the future... and the tornado still hits Arcadia Bay, but this time you're alone at the lighthouse... just like in your vision. You get to deal with the aftermath of having hosed up the past and killed Chloe yet again, and since you don't have the picture this time you can never, ever change it.

Sacrifice Arcadia Bay: You decide to stick with Chloe, and hope it's over, but as you leave the bay the strange weather and omens are obvious and it feels like no matter where the two of you go, the storm is going to follow, and more lives are going to be ruined. You get to deal with the knowledge that you've not only hosed up the present and lost your one opportunity to fix things, but it's going to be worse than you ever imagined.

Now that might have been cool. What we got was just... weak.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I like these ideas, Gryph, though I'm not sure a Twilight Zone esque resolution would have been received much better. Your choices still kind of don't matter.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

BobTheJanitor posted:

And why do you think this is a good thing?

Personally it makes the choice harder to make. A quick example of an easy choice I can think of is Mass Effect 2's suicide mission where you can make "perfect" choices and save everyone. I feel like in some other games its easy to make the right choice because the outcome is generally always good. Not saying ME2 is wrong for going this route, both games just have different ideas regarding choice.

Pretty sure this is why the split on endings is fairly even in the stats screen. I think it would be an easy bet that if there was an "The continuing relationship of Max and Chloe is fairyland where everyone is not dead" ending it would be been far out ahead of the other "bad" ending. But because both endings have obvious downsides there is no "right" choice.

GlyphGryph posted:

bad/bittersweet ending

I think these ideas could totally work but I assume its probably not the story Dontnod wanted to tell. The game is fairly positive in a lot of ways and just having a crushingly sad/depressing ending doesn't fit well in my mind. The endings are already bittersweet, because either a character your spent the game with gets murdered while Max grows as a person or a town of people die because you selfishly want to continue a relationship with someone.

I can definitely see your point about the endings feeling weak. It could have gone in much grittier/darker directions and that's a valid story choice that could have made for some seriously thought provoking narrative. But LIS feels much lighter in general. Sure it deals with some heavy stuff like suicide and murder but it does it in a "teen fiction" kind of way. I don't think uber dark stuff would fit LIS even if it would be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I stand by my statement.

I expected a gayer game than this.

• Locked thread