Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
gently caress all those refugees taking good illegal immigrant jobs! What happened to the America I grew up in???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yoshifan823 posted:

There's a great interview with Paul Ryan on 60 Minutes, they got to talk to his wife for a little bit, she seemed like she was on the verge of tears when they were talking about him being speaker, I get the feeling they're both still deeply uncomfortable with him having that job. I think he'd be a lot happier sitting in a back room making up policy without any of the politics poo poo.

Also, he seems like a nice enough guy. I still think his policy is dumb, but talking about his dad, grandfather, great grandfather all dying in their fifties made his whole health kick make a lot more sense.

Seems like that slobbering puff piece worked on you!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

greatn posted:

Robert Bentley(Alabama governor) just went through a messy divorce where everyone knows he had an affair with his highest paid political consultant, and his strategy of simply hiding from the media completely worked, as they got bored and moved on to other stories.

I appreciate what you are doing.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Kalman posted:

Michigan outside of Detroit and Ann Arbor basically is the south.

In a way, Michigan's a prime example of the urban/rural split and how much of a role it plays in American politics. Any city with a population of more than 100,000 (such as Lansing or Grand Rapids) is going to be, if not liberal, at least have a decently sized contingent of such. This starts to fall off as you move into the suburbs of those cities, and generally vanishes entirely by the time you hit places like Oceana County. (Seriously, anywhere that crowns an "Asparagus Queen"...)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At the G20:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

So apparently the new obsession among conservatives is to get Hillary and Obama to say that we're at war with "radical Islam" and not extremists or ISIL or whatever we're actually calling them right now.

Because we can bomb and drone and snoop and deploy special forces all we want but until we blow the holy war dog whistle we're still pulling punches.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zoux posted:

At the G20:

Daesh about to get hosed up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wonder if we're gonna have all 50 states on board by close of business today. Texas also not taking Syrian refugees because they're all probably in ISIS. More Syrian refugees have been resettled in Texas than any other state. (123, so not some massive influx)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obama, and Clinton as a member of his administration, say "Jihadist Islam" which is confusing to me. If you can say "Jihadist Islam" why not "Radical Islam"? If you're afraid of saying you're at war with Islamic fundamentalist countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran then wouldn't "Jihadist" be as bad as "Radical"?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

At the G20:

Check out this weirdo sneaking around, probably taking the above picture with a camera hidden in his bag.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So apparently the new obsession among conservatives is to get Hillary and Obama to say that we're at war with "radical Islam" and not extremists or ISIL or whatever we're actually calling them right now.

Because we can bomb and drone and snoop and deploy special forces all we want but until we blow the holy war dog whistle we're still pulling punches.

... Pretty sure I'm cool with "radical Islam" being a thing

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

... Pretty sure I'm cool with "radical Islam" being a thing

Is that hijab waterproof?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If it's not to soon to be tasteless, I was a bit concerned that the France attacks could rejuvenate the Bush campaign but then I forgot about how this is actually this going to be a competition to say the most ignorant, insane things about Islam so Trump's gonna win that.

quote:

In the wake of the terrorist attacks in Paris last week, Republican frontrunner Donald Trump said Monday that the United States must resume heavy surveillance of mosques. As president, Trump said, he would consider shutting down some mosques.

"I would hate to do it, but it's something that you're going to have to strongly consider because some of the ideas and some of the hatred -- the absolute hatred -- is coming from these areas," Trump said in an interview on "Morning Joe."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is that hijab waterproof?

Considering that she is wearing a track suit, I think the hijab is the least of her worries

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

"Dallas is not going to be Paris,” he said. “We are not going to have an environment where people can murder 150-plus people because the public is not armed

Yeah, but this happening over a couple of months(according to 2010 statistics) is totally ok because

Eat_at_Milliways
May 3, 2006
bald_kid
Arkansas to refuse Syrians, per ABC.

Florida by the end of the day, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

If it's not to soon to be tasteless, I was a bit concerned that the France attacks could rejuvenate the Bush campaign but then I forgot about how this is actually this going to be a competition to say the most ignorant, insane things about Islam so Trump's gonna win that.

that doesnt surprise me from trump, thing is i doubt we have that many wahabi/extremest mosques like the UK/europe does. so trump would just be shutting down regular mosques.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

thats been a thing for a while now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Texas refusing them, too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zoux posted:

It should be noted that Scarborough brought this up, not Trump...

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Have any of the republicans mentioned that it would be bad to let Syrian refugees in because of easy access to guns in the U.S.?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Triglav posted:

I'm sure some of that was due to people not knowing exactly what channel CBS was. For whatever reason it wasn't listed in TV Guide books either, for the old folks who still subscribe.

Every loving old person who lives in the United States Of America most assuredly knows what channel CBS is. It's the home of NCIS/Crime Procedural channel du jour.

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008

blue squares posted:

Considering that she is wearing a track suit, I think the hijab is the least of her worries

It's a burkini, you mooks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

At the G20:

The most dangerous game of Monopoly.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

Every loving old person who lives in the United States Of America most assuredly knows what channel CBS is. It's the home of NCIS/Crime Procedural channel du jour.

It's also home of Elementary which is way better than it has a right to be and you should watch it. :colbert:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Republicans are VERY upset that Obama didn't say "it's them or us" or "islam sucks".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Republicans are VERY upset that Obama didn't say "it's them or us" or "islam sucks".

He was also four minutes late to the moment of silence.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

He was also four minutes late to the moment of silence.

What's the status of marines holding his umbrella?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They don't want to owe up to their mistakes in Iraq. By their own narrative, ISIS blinked into existence some time after we left Iraq and it's Obummer's fault they came to power.

I've been citing this article all goddamn week on Facebook.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Check out this weirdo sneaking around, probably taking the above picture with a camera hidden in his bag.

A real life Boris Badinov!

Anyway, the White House put out an official version of the photo too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This stupid loving narrative is getting into the mainstream press too. I would love one conservative to tell me how it's at all helpful insult the billion Muslims in the world who's help we will definitely need to fight IS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

This stupid loving narrative is getting into the mainstream press too. I would love one conservative to tell me how it's at all helpful insult the billion Muslims in the world who's help we will definitely need to fight IS.

The secret thing they know they're not supposed to say is that they all believe there is no difference between the average Muslim and the ISIS member.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Texas refusing them, too.

It absolutely disgusts me, I mean the lowest of the low to politicize this non-issue. There is almost zero chance that a terrorist would come in as a refugee, if they could pass the background check to come in as a refugee they could just come in on a tourist visa without all the annoying paperwork.

However countries/states denying entry to Syrian refugees is exactly what ISIS wants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, America is pretty good at playing exactly into terrorists' master plans.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Obama, and Clinton as a member of his administration, say "Jihadist Islam" which is confusing to me. If you can say "Jihadist Islam" why not "Radical Islam"? If you're afraid of saying you're at war with Islamic fundamentalist countries like Saudi Arabia or Iran then wouldn't "Jihadist" be as bad as "Radical"?

This whole thing is ridiculously useless, but the key difference is that what might be construed from "radical Islam" is that involves "fundamentalist" Muslims, which I suppose might refer to Salafism, the majority of whom (at least their most well-known proponents) tack to a firm non-involvment in political matters. Its a belief system.

"JIhadist Islam" might be construed (might, because its largely a non-sensical term that has been thrown at a criminal enterprise) as involving action.

EDIT: This is all rather sickening to me. Syria is a guaranteed death for so many Syrians, and we were already so immorally short on our responsibilities to those afflicted in part by political decisions made by US leaders. Just reading some of the accounts of Syrian refugees should be a mandate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So if we had a republican president we would have 150K troops heading to Syria/Iraq now. (For those who think there is no difference between the parties and that there is no reason to vote)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

So if we had a republican president we would have 150K troops heading to Syria/Iraq now. (For those who think there is no difference between the parties and that there is no reason to vote)

Give it a couple of weeks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bobby Jindal has joined the refugee refuseniks. It'll be interesting to see if Christie hops on board too, or maybe he'll just make them live in a tent for a month.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

They don't want to owe up to their mistakes in Iraq. By their own narrative, ISIS blinked into existence some time after we left Iraq and it's Obummer's fault they came to power.

I've been citing this article all goddamn week on Facebook.

Quick heads-up, since this is the New Yorker there seems to be some sources for this story (though not too many named, Nasrallah being one of the few, given an entire page of narration), but citing Hersh might not be the best of ideas. There's been a lot of sturm un drang with the guy the past few years due to alleged shaky reporting (like coming and saying that there were US special forces in Syria, etc). Just letting you know.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Joementum posted:

A real life Boris Badinov!

Anyway, the White House put out an official version of the photo too.

It's like they're drawing up their response in the sand as if it were a game of backyard football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Joementum posted:

Bobby Jindal has joined the refugee refuseniks. It'll be interesting to see if Christie hops on board too, or maybe he'll just make them live in a tent for a month.

Christie should just have them go inhabit Trenton. He could spin it as breathing new life into a withered corpse, and the refugees might say "Uh no I don't want to live in a city that is a superfund* site."

*this is entirely a lie, only parts of the city are sites

• Locked thread