Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feenix posted:

Man I am so torn on wanting Battlefront.

Every bit of beta I played was just super fun. I know I enjoy it. I just don't know what like "carrot" motivation there is. I like unlocks and upgrades and goals. It feels like (and maybe I'm ill-informed?) there's not a lot of guns or gear or unlockables strive for...

The real unlockables are your skills as a player, and the real goal is glory on the battlefield by triumphing over others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The real unlockables are your skills as a player, and the real goal is glory on the battlefield by triumphing over others.

But what about some rare colored hat??

Real hurthling! posted:

unless you are a superfan or bad with money

What if I'm just a fan but super bad with money?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just unlock different hairstyles. And eventually races for the Republic, and different types of Troopers for Imperials.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BF4 has tons of unlockables. Still only used about 4 guns.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah that progression system is a big turn-off for me too. I like unlockable skinner box stuff in multiplayer games but if you're gonna do that then embrace it and provide a huge variety of poo poo to unlock. If you're gonna have customization options as limited as the ones in Battlefront, just unlock all the guns and stuff up-front; don't put basic poo poo behind a grind. You just pick your weapon and three cards for your loadouts, right? No weapon modification or anything?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I was having a disk eject problem with my PS4 and the manual eject screw wasn't working. So as one last final gambit I plugged my PS4 back in, turned it vertically, hit the eject button, and started slapping the back of it like a madman. The disk popped right out. As a test I put in another disk and it ejected without a problem. I really hope that this was a one off thing and won't happen again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

littleorv posted:

I was having a disk eject problem with my PS4 and the manual eject screw wasn't working. So as one last final gambit I plugged my PS4 back in, turned it vertically, hit the eject button, and started slapping the back of it like a madman. The disk popped right out. As a test I put in another disk and it ejected without a problem. I really hope that this was a one off thing and won't happen again.

replacer "ps4" with "my child" and that's exactly what parenting is like

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

replacer "ps4" with "my child" and that's exactly what parenting is like

I'm uh... looking forward to it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

please warranty your defective baby if it is still covered.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I re-downloaded Arkham Knight to try and give it another chance. Man I hate the Batmobile. The flow of the game gets so thrown off by shoehorning in the drat car. Just let me beat up thugs, dammit! Then move on to the next location and beat up more. That's all I want out of a Batman game, not "how do I get the Batmobile into this closed off space?" puzzles and racetracks and poo poo. Bleh.

EDIT

Although playing this kinda makes me want to play an Assassins Creed game again. I skipped 4 and Unity so maybe it's time to be dumb and pick up the new one. Are there any black Friday leaks that show crazy deals for Syndicate?

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 16, 2015

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Was interested in checking out Lego Marvel for some mindless fun and its $85 hahaha (US store is $20)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Static Rook posted:

Although playing this kinda makes me want to play an Assassins Creed game again. I skipped 4 and Unity so maybe it's time to be dumb and pick up the new one. Are there any black Friday leaks that show crazy deals for Syndicate?

You should pick up 4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Static Rook posted:

I re-downloaded Arkham Knight to try and give it another chance. Man I hate the Batmobile. The flow of the game gets so thrown off by shoehorning in the drat car. Just let me beat up thugs, dammit! Then move on to the next location and beat up more. That's all I want out of a Batman game, not "how do I get the Batmobile into this closed off space?" puzzles and racetracks and poo poo. Bleh.

EDIT

Somewhere had it for $35, which means everywhere will have it for $35 usually.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Surlaw posted:

You should pick up 4.

Yes, why not get 4 which is good and cheap?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Any goon dads or moms got a trip report on Lego dimensions? Just the next sklander/infinity gimmick?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Any goon dads or moms got a trip report on Lego dimensions? Just the next sklander/infinity gimmick?

I watched the Giant Bomb video for it and while the ability to mix and match everyone in the story mode is neat, putting everything together seems like a huge hassle to deal with.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Static Rook posted:

I've had a lot of fun playing Syndicate. The grapple hook makes travel a ton better, as does having carriages you can hop in to cross the city.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-uk-sales-due-poor-release-timing-fine-ps4

Sales of Rise of the Tomb Raider are in the toilet and somehow a timed exclusive deal for a poo poo console didn't pan out in everyone's favor.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
MS pretty much paid for the whole thing and then some so even if it sells like ten copies, Square are probably happy. MS is probably pissed but they probably knew this was gonna go this way when they finally had to admit it was just a timed exclusive.

Releasing it across from Fallout was dumb no matter how you cut it though...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the short term I guess they can make it ok that it sold ten copies by paying lots of money, but surely that money doesn't cover the long term damage to the franchise of having only ten people able to play one of its core games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the short term I guess they can make it ok that it sold ten copies by paying lots of money, but surely that money doesn't cover the long term damage to the franchise of having only ten people able to play one of its core games.

Long term the game is coming to PS4 and PC eventually. If the game was good enough it could totally survive that, GTA5 took years to come out on PC and even when it did, it sold gangbusters.

But Tomb Raider is not quite GTA5 and could lose that "new car smell" by the time the PS4 or eventual PC release rolls around, which could definitely kill their thunder.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

TR will also be coming out after Uncharted 4, so demand will probably be a little low. I enjoyed the first one and will give the sequel a try, but probably not for $60.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I liked the last TR more than any of the Uncharteds so I'm looking forward to it. I know I can just play it on 360 but I can wait. I have a bunch on my plate right now anyways.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

We're getting a PS4 for christmas and I am trying to figure out what's good on it that I don't already have access to on my PC. I have been scrolling down a list of releases and most of what's there is stuff I either own already on Steam or could own. I used to be interested in Bloodborne until I played it on a friend's machine and saw how it performed, now I'm just hoping it gets a PC release. I can always just borrow it if I want.

Destiny looks interesting, I think Disgaea 5 just came out, there's the FFX/X-2 remaster. I was really interested in Toukiden Kiwami, except the PC port was rear end, but now I will have a PS4. Dragon Quest Heroes looks cool and I love that genre. Is there anything really major that I just gotta absolutely play and I will be missing out if I don't?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

the new tr game is much more fun than any of the previous Uncharted games imo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

We're getting a PS4 for christmas and I am trying to figure out what's good on it that I don't already have access to on my PC. I have been scrolling down a list of releases and most of what's there is stuff I either own already on Steam or could own. I used to be interested in Bloodborne until I played it on a friend's machine and saw how it performed, now I'm just hoping it gets a PC release. I can always just borrow it if I want.

Destiny looks interesting, I think Disgaea 5 just came out, there's the FFX/X-2 remaster. I was really interested in Toukiden Kiwami, except the PC port was rear end, but now I will have a PS4. Dragon Quest Heroes looks cool and I love that genre. Is there anything really major that I just gotta absolutely play and I will be missing out if I don't?

the last of us
since you like dqh, samurai warriors 4
a bunch of future jrpgs
bloodborne performs fine outside of 1 area really

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

EDF 4.1 comes out next month and probably won't come out on PC

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

It looks like Dragon Quest Heroes will get a Steam release eventually, with the caveat that Japanese PC ports tend to be kind of wonky.

- Batman Arkham Knight since the PC version is super-broken.
- Basically any Koei Tecmo game which is on PC is ported from the PS3 version, so the PS4 versions look better (includes DoA5LR, PES2016, and a few other titles).
- Driveclub has its critics but can be had for a song.
- Until Dawn
- Sports games which aren't FIFA.
- Uncharted HD collection if you've never played those

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Tomb Raider not only came out on the lesser selling platform first, but it was wedged between Fallout 4, Black Ops, Halo 5, Star Wars. They should have had it as a December/January game. Still within the "holiday" exclusivity window.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I don't think I saw anyone mention but bloodborne is highly unlikely to come to pc. It was bank tolled by Sony who is also responsible for demon's souls and that game doesn't have a pc release either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think I saw anyone mention but bloodborne is highly unlikely to come to pc. It was bank tolled by Sony who is also responsible for demon's souls and that game doesn't have a pc release either.

DQH is very unlikely to jump to PC for similar reasons plus the crazy licensing stuff around it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

DQH is very unlikely to jump to PC for similar reasons plus the crazy licensing stuff around it.

What? Dragon Quest Heroes showed up in a Steam ad.

revolther
May 27, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

I don't have any hands on experience with the product, but from an ethical stand point gently caress em. Nintendo and Sony want to make action figure tie ins that link to bad games, that's fine, but Lego is supposed to be all about creativity with some educational/developmental benefits.

Taking a product that at it's core proclaims, "girls or boys can build anything! Imagination, tally ho!" then evolve it into some product that compels kids to build one predefined thing, then rewards them with dicking around in a bad video game till they get bored enough to buy another, seems pretty hosed up.

Buy that kid a wood burning kit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I watched a walkthrough of about 1/2 of the new Tomb Raider and while it looks fun the story is complete garbage. Native people in brown clothing tell Laura "go here and do this, go there and do that" over and over.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

What "crazy licensing" stuff would a DQ game have?

e: And the Demons' deal isn't just money, it's that Sony, through Studio Japan, was a co-developer on that game.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 16, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell Lego Dimensions is a typical but well made Lego game that's like all the other Lego Games with them having a little more fun than usual with mixing properties together (with stuff like Batman trying to beat up the Wizard of Oz Scarecrow). The main difference between it and other Lego games is that while it still had a huge list of unlockable characters who have special abilities that unlock secrets, now you have to individually but all those characters. If you've ever seen how big the roster is in any of the Lego games you'll see how horrifying that is.

Ironically it seems like the Disney Infinity stuff has actual better building tools.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

PantsBandit posted:

I watched a walkthrough of about 1/2 of the new Tomb Raider and while it looks fun the story is complete garbage. Native people in brown clothing tell Laura "go here and do this, go there and do that" over and over.

That doesn't seem accurate based on my first hand experience. Story isn't great, but eh

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tsurupettan posted:

Dude Bloodborne is a partnership with Sony. It will not ever ever ever come out on PC. Stop hoping for it. You'll play it on PS4 or you won't play it at all. Its worth getting on PS4.

Destiny is okay, way better than it used to be but it feels like such a huge timesink. You get really caught up in it and you don't want to play other games, but its not really rewarding enough for all the time it ends up sucking out of your life. Its better than vanilla but it still has much room to grow.

Toukiden Kiwami is pretty cool and runs well on PS4.

Most games on PS4 are also on PC so its just kinda your choice, most of the games I could suggest you've probably already played. The Last of Us and Bloodborne are the only exclusives that come to mind right now.

Ineffiable posted:

E:FB

But yeah, its beyond "highly unlikely", it flat out will not happen. We'll be lucky if we ever get a DeS remaster on Playstation, a PC port of DeS or BB just is NOT happening. Sony is involved and they realize the value the series has. DS1/2/3 are different than DeS/BB in this regard.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

http://wccftech.com/rise-tomb-raider-uk-sales-due-poor-release-timing-fine-ps4

Sales of Rise of the Tomb Raider are in the toilet and somehow a timed exclusive deal for a poo poo console didn't pan out in everyone's favor.
Speaking of sales, these are supposedly "leaked" NPD numbers for October I'm seeing on social media, but I see no source for them yet:

quote:

Tales of Zestiria - 58k
Disgaea 5 - 26k
Dragon Quest Heroes - 31k
Yikes for DQ. Has the JRPG audience not moved on yet or is it really that niche?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

jabro posted:

BF4 has tons of unlockables. Still only used about 4 guns.

Put 500 hours in it and use the same 4-5 guns most of the time.

• Locked thread