Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

smg77 posted:

The low ratings aren't that surprising considering that the Democratic primary is boring (unless you're a Bernie Bro who still thinks Sanders has a chance) and it was on a Saturday night when nobody is watching TV.

I'm a Bernie Bro and missed it. Did he win? My friends said he thinks global warming caused the French terrorist atacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Three Olives posted:

It absolutely disgusts me, I mean the lowest of the low to politicize this non-issue. There is almost zero chance that a terrorist would come in as a refugee, if they could pass the background check to come in as a refugee they could just come in on a tourist visa without all the annoying paperwork.

However countries/states denying entry to Syrian refugees is exactly what ISIS wants.

Well this why the US was so slow to accept refugees- it takes a very long time to vet each one. A lot of people wanted to drop that policy but it's a very good thing no one of importance listened. I mean it's hardly just going to be the US south on this issue- refugee policy is going to be changed across the globe.

Also to be frank you are not going to win in 16 by saying 'almost zero chance'. A couple more major attacks and it's going to be very hard for Hillary to win without going full hawk, unfortunately.

mcmagic posted:

So if we had a republican president we would have 150K troops heading to Syria/Iraq now. (For those who think there is no difference between the parties and that there is no reason to vote)

"Because of this fact I completely just pulled out of my rear end,"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mike Pence also refusing refugees, probably to protect Christian pizza parlors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gohmak posted:

I'm a Bernie Bro and missed it. Did he win? My friends said he thinks global warming caused the French terrorist atacks.

He said that global warming is the biggest national security threat and that climate change can be said to be one of the causes of ISIS.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Joementum posted:

Bobby Jindal has joined the refugee refuseniks. It'll be interesting to see if Christie hops on board too, or maybe he'll just make them live in a tent for a month.
I find it disturbing that party that brags about its commitment to Biblically Literal Christian virtues is playing the role of the Worst Samaritan.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Didn't Alabama recently outlaw Sharia law as well? I can't say I'm surprised, but still... :cripes:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I think it's super cool that some maniacs went on a murder spree in Paris and now the public at large is going to be obsessed with Syrian refugees and we can go back to just ignoring climate change, which is totally not a problem at all or one that will lead to any kind of violence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

Joementum posted:

Bobby Jindal has joined the refugee refuseniks. It'll be interesting to see if Christie hops on board too, or maybe he'll just make them live in a tent for a month.

i cant wait for the debates to see all these shitheads defend this poo poo.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

A real life Boris Badinov!

Anyway, the White House put out an official version of the photo too.

"Ok guys, we're not going to change any of our plans regarding ISIS, but somehow things are totally going to get better. Go team!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

I think it's super cool that some maniacs went on a murder spree in Paris and now the public at large is going to be obsessed with Syrian refugees and we can go back to just ignoring climate change, which is totally not a problem at all or one that will lead to any kind of violence.

Of course, most of the terrorists weren't refugees, but EU citizens, but why let facts get in the way of sending people to their deaths.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

gohmak posted:

It certainly was not a win and his chances are rapidly dwindling at this point. Also as I just said this probably just became a Foreign Policy campaign due to the attack and that pretty much scuttles what hope he had left- he ain't beating Hillary in an election focused on terrorism. And yes he does think it is a contributing factor, which is kinda dumb because there's no real evidence to support the connection at all between GCC and ISIS and the arab spring and so on.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

"Indiana Welcome!"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Maarek posted:

It's kind of hard to go back to ignoring climate change when the public has never paid attention to it.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Two interesting articles today on Paris and Western response.

Article in Vox that considers what ISIS's motivation might have been for Paris.

quote:

The challenge for governments in responding to this kind of stuff is to wait until you know exactly what your enemy is trying to provoke you to do. If we don't know why ISIS did these things, we risk making some major blunders that play into its hand.

Think about 9/11. Al-Qaeda told us vaguely in the propaganda, "You're the crusaders, and we want to get you out of here." But the real strategy behind the attacks wasn't revealed for a few years, and they came from internal al-Qaeda memoranda that later surfaced. In the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, we didn't understand then that Al-Qaeda was dearly hoping for a large military deployment so that it could bog us down and win this propaganda war.

We made the right decision early on — that went against al-Qaeda — by going in Afghanistan. But we made a different decision in Iraq, and it played into their hands. There's a similar worry here, and without knowing exactly why ISIS undertook these attacks, we risk dancing to their tune.

Blog post by Charles Pierce in Esquire that posits no response to ISIS will ever be enough unless we go after their source of money and support, which means going after our very good friends and allies, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and Kuwait. The links to articles cited here are very good; especially the one to the article in The Guardian.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wait the climate is changing? What?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course, most of the terrorists weren't refugees, but EU citizens, but why let facts get in the way of sending people to their deaths.

You seem to be missing the fact that your point brings about a even worse right-wing conclusion -- muslim citizens cannot be trusted now if they can be radicalized.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Baker in Massachusetts saying no to refugees too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Can the states even refuse refugees?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My local mosque got a phone message from some nut saying he was going to firebomb it and shoot Muslim children along with several other Florida mosques so uhhhh I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Other things I learned today: Oklahoma has a "state antiterrorism caucus" that says no to refugees.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joementum posted:

A real life Boris Badinov!

Anyway, the White House put out an official version of the photo too.

Obama and Putin. Is Pig Fucker the other dude? No idea about the woman.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You seem to be missing the fact that your point brings about a even worse right-wing conclusion -- muslim citizens cannot be trusted now if they can be radicalized.

They didn't miss it the right has believed that for over a decade at this point.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Swagger Dagger posted:

It doesn't really matter, if they can't then the GOP gains cool points for standing up to Obama.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

tsa posted:

It certainly was not a win and his chances are rapidly dwindling at this point. Also as I just said this probably just became a Foreign Policy campaign due to the attack and that pretty much scuttles what hope he had left- he ain't beating Hillary in an election focused on terrorism.

Most of the post-debate coverage in the papers and even a good bit online is about her nonsensical answer about wall street rather than her foreign policy acumen, which is impressive considering the debate happened a day after French 9/11.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

Quick heads-up, since this is the New Yorker there seems to be some sources for this story (though not too many named, Nasrallah being one of the few, given an entire page of narration), but citing Hersh might not be the best of ideas. There's been a lot of sturm un drang with the guy the past few years due to alleged shaky reporting (like coming and saying that there were US special forces in Syria, etc). Just letting you know.

Hersh being poo poo plus, that article is from 2007 and there has only been at least 3 regime changes and an ongoing civil war in the Middle East since then; not to mention a new administration in the White House.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DOOP posted:

Obama and Putin. Is Pig Fucker the other dude? No idea about the woman.

Translators/aides probably.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

uhhhh I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.

We've been slowly and inexorably headed that direction since 9/12/01 :toot:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ 3,000 US citizens couldn't cause it, but surely 130 killed in a different continent will be the tipping point for sure ^^^^^

Luigi Thirty posted:

My local mosque got a phone message from some nut saying he was going to firebomb it and shoot Muslim children along with several other Florida mosques so uhhhh I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.

I'm always mystified by these kneejerek reactions. I'm not trying to downplay a verbal threat such as that, but pogroms, seriously? I'm sure that will occur after the KKK finishes their nationwide killings of black college student protesters.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 16, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Other things I learned today: Oklahoma has a "state antiterrorism caucus" that says no to refugees.

Saying "Today I learned: Oklahoma is poo poo" is like saying "Today I learned: water is wet" with bigger words.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

They super can't

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

We've been slowly and inexorably headed that direction since 9/12/01 :toot:

15 mosques were attacked in the last 24 hours in France.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

I'm always mystified by these kneejerek reactions. I'm not trying to downplay a verbal threat such as that, but pogroms, seriously? I'm sure that will occur after the KKK finishes their nationwide killings of black college student protesters.

i mean did you see where Trump thinks he can and should "shut down" mosques

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.
"Moderate" "reform" republican David Frum was calling for a Trump style roundup and deportation of Muslims in Europe on Friday while the hostages were still being held. Where do you see this ending?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Joementum posted:

Nah, he'll opt to put them in cages where they can't turn around.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Doctor Butts posted:

Every loving old person who lives in the United States Of America most assuredly knows what channel CBS is. It's the home of NCIS/Crime Procedural channel du jour.

Anecdotal, but my elderly family member and their friends all couldn't. They mostly stick to entertainment news like Fox and CNN, though.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Maarek posted:

Most of the post-debate coverage in the papers and even a good bit online is about her nonsensical answer about wall street rather than her foreign policy acumen, which is impressive considering the debate happened a day after French 9/11.

To be fair her answer was ridiculous and I'm still surprised Bernie and MOM didn't jump on it immediately.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shageletic posted:

This whole thing is ridiculously useless, but the key difference is that what might be construed from "radical Islam" is that involves "fundamentalist" Muslims, which I suppose might refer to Salafism, the majority of whom (at least their most well-known proponents) tack to a firm non-involvment in political matters. Its a belief system.

"JIhadist Islam" might be construed (might, because its largely a non-sensical term that has been thrown at a criminal enterprise) as involving action.

"Radical Islam" is also kinda meaningless because its in English and you could say it applies to anything. Like Obama could say that we are at war with "Radical Islam" and then praise our Wahhabi allies in Saudi Arabia or something.

Its also curious that the people that we'd be concerned about pissing off with "Radical Islam" are those friendliest to the Republican party. Or is that just the Bush family?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

To be fair her answer was ridiculous and I'm still surprised Bernie and MOM didn't jump on it immediately.

That's because the non Hillary candidates are running mostly to pull Hillary left and aren't going to do anything to seriously damage the eventual candidate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

^^^^^ 3,000 US citizens couldn't cause it, but surely 130 killed in a different continent will be the tipping point for sure ^^^^^

I don't mean this this, I mean "it's going to take things getting a lot worse before it gets better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

gohmak posted:

Global Warming kinda did. The entire conflict in Syria started over water.

• Locked thread