Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey so I've been thinking about this (More than I should have)

Mission 1/46
Mission 20
Mission 43

Don't these all feel like they came out of a different game totally? The cinematic camera angles, the control being taken away from you frequently into cutscenes, the LOAAAADS of blood, all being very suspenseful and incredibly violent? On top of that, Kiefer voice acts way more of these missions than the rest of the game. It feels like they actually finished these missions first as the frame of the game then filled out the gameplay around it. It even makes sense with GZ being so dark that they'd transition into starting on the hosed up missions like that as a framework.

On the other hand you get say mission 30/31, where even during the super long exposition sequence you never go into a real cutscene, there's no creepy suspense parts and it's just sorta generic villian monologue to himself but without Snake talking back at all and they use entirely existing assets. I guess you shoot off his hand but whatever.

It sort of feels like they had 2 games being worked on side by side that were stitched together. The above missions also make me really wish we saw the rest of Silent Hills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Mission 1/46
Mission 20
Mission 43

Don't these all feel like they came out of a different game totally? The cinematic camera angles, the control being taken away from you frequently into cutscenes, the LOAAAADS of blood, all being very suspenseful and incredibly violent? On top of that, Kiefer voice acts way more of these missions than the rest of the game. It feels like they actually finished these missions first as the frame of the game then filled out the gameplay around it. It even makes sense with GZ being so dark that they'd transition into starting on the hosed up missions like that as a framework.

On the other hand you get say mission 30/31, where even during the super long exposition sequence you never go into a real cutscene, there's no creepy suspense parts and it's just sorta generic villian monologue to himself but without Snake talking back at all and they use entirely existing assets. I guess you shoot off his hand but whatever.

It sort of feels like they had 2 games being worked on side by side that were stitched together. The above missions also make me really wish we saw the rest of Silent Hills.
It's symbolic of how the medic and Big Boss were stitched together. The bloody parts of the game are the medic, a man who would have much experience with blood, guts, and tragedy, while the lighter parts of the game is Big Boss just doing what he loves. This is also why the darkest missions take place in hospitals or hospital like settings.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's symbolic of how the medic and Big Boss were stitched together. The bloody parts of the game are the medic, a man who would have much experience with blood, guts, and tragedy, while the lighter parts of the game is Big Boss just doing what he loves. This is also why the darkest missions take place in hospitals or hospital like settings.
poo poo, good catch.

really wish we had more of that stuff.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
So has anyone mentioned Zero stole his body double plan from Diamonds are Forever, solidifying himself as a James Bond Superfan

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Which outpost has the You Only Live Twice tape?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I uh didn't notice those were all hospitals

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mission 1/46
Mission 20
Mission 43

Don't these all feel like they came out of a different game totally?

Even if it weren't always parasites in regards to overarching threat which would lead you to mission 43's scene, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those three missions and Ground Zeroes were the first Kojima came up with and he, rightly in my opinion, thought that they were so good in concept that they had to make it to the finished game.

After that, he probably figured that he had to make a game to fill the void to get to those points and the open world structure came to mind after it.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

In addition to what ^^^^ that poster said, the logo change from Diamond Dogs to Outer Heaven in the background behind Venom, which the way it is shown, is meant to demonstrate passage of time.

Does it? Thought both were always shown, I always took it as just happening at Outer Heaven since the credits cut to it when the Outer Heaven logo is shown and sorta lingers on it, not to mention Big Boss's tape says that Venom helped grow the legend of big boss, which given the fact that no one knows about the whole Skullface thing outside of a few people, makes me think its later in life after, like after Sniper Wolf and Grey Fox get saved

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yeah, they meant the logo on the door, which can only be seen in the mirror's reflection.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

grancheater posted:

Which outpost has the You Only Live Twice tape?

the pc only outpost.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Does anyone have a list of the descriptions for the Yellow Dot Important combat deployments? I have a dumb pet theory that they are prepping the area (southern Africa) for ~Outer Heaven~

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I uh didn't notice those were all hospitals

Haha me either. That awesome.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just realised that “this is the day weapons learn to walk”, while a great line in of itself, has a most cool double meaning in that the entire game is about Venom – the first (memetic) clone of Big Boss, the true category of weapon to surpass Metal Gear – learning to “walk” as and surpass Big Boss and so setting the precedent for all the Snakes to come.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is there any info on when Kojimas paperwork with Konami expires and he is able to talk about the game as he pleases?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gortarius posted:

Is there any info on when Kojimas paperwork with Konami expires and he is able to talk about the game as he pleases?

I'm sure the answer to that is never.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gortarius posted:

No I don't think anyone's leaked the contents of Kojima's employment contract or resignation agreement with Konami, nor is anyone likely to

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
isn't it december? he's on leave right now since you gotta get your holiday time all done before leaving so bonuses and salary poo poo can be worked properly but i do remember reading the contract ends in december.

as for talking about as in "did konami gently caress me" he never will because they didn't gently caress him and he is happy with whats out there and he is japanese too so we wont get any shittalk from him either way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Vikar Jerome posted:

isn't it december? he's on leave right now since you gotta get your holiday time all done before leaving so bonuses and salary poo poo can be worked properly but i do remember reading the contract ends in december.

as for talking about as in "did konami gently caress me" he never will because they didn't gently caress him and he is happy with whats out there and he is japanese too so we wont get any shittalk from him either way.
December is when most people expect he's free of Konami. No telling if he has a non-compete for some amount of time after that, and an un-authorized tell all is a good way to retire because noone else will want to touch you, auteur or not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Vikar Jerome posted:

It's cultural disconnect. In Japan you don't poo poo talk your employer former or otherwise.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Yeah. Someone tried to get Hideki Kamiya of all people to poo poo talk Capcom but he wouldn't bite.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Is that really a Japanese thing? Burning your bridges with an old employer in a tiny, insular industry seems like a terrible idea. I can't think of someone at a very senior level leaving a videogame company then trashing them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah. Someone tried to get Hideki Kamiya of all people to poo poo talk Capcom but he wouldn't bite.

why would he? he essentially admits he hosed up a lot of his first big project, RE2, and they still helped him out and kept him on. he was basically mentored and hired by capcom with virtually no experience. regardless of how it all turned out he's a successful designer because of his time there.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MinibarMatchman posted:

why would he? he essentially admits he hosed up a lot of his first big project, RE2, and they still helped him out and kept him on. he was basically mentored and hired by capcom with virtually no experience. regardless of how it all turned out he's a successful designer because of his time there.

People wanted him to because of how Capcom handled the characters he created after he left or something. All of what you just said about Kamiya could also basically apply to Kojima too.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Is that really a Japanese thing? Burning your bridges with an old employer in a tiny, insular industry seems like a terrible idea. I can't think of someone at a very senior level leaving a videogame company then trashing them.

I think it's just that most game companies in Japan that we are familiar with are the big serious business corporations, so you would have to be kind of an idiot to start trashing them publicly if you still want to work with another one. It's not really got much to do with the industry.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yeah, even though Japanese business culture is majorly skewed toward respecting seniority/the hierarchy*, even to the detriment of the company in some cases (not that this is unique, even if it's pronounced), it doesn't seem like there'd be a reason for an equivalent American developer to start talking poo poo about his former employer in a similar situation either. I mean, I can totally imagine someone doing that, but that's not really the same thing as there being a real reason to.

*Most easily seen perhaps in the fact that Japanese CEOs are like 15 years older on average than American/European CEOs. You probably don't get that from an age-neutral selection process.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, even though Japanese business culture is majorly skewed toward respecting seniority/the hierarchy*, even to the detriment of the company in some cases (not that this is unique, even if it's pronounced), it doesn't seem like there'd be a reason for an equivalent American developer to start talking poo poo about his former employer in a similar situation either. I mean, I can totally imagine someone doing that, but that's not really the same thing as there being a real reason to.

*Most easily seen perhaps in the fact that Japanese CEOs are like 15 years older on average than American/European CEOs. You probably don't get that from an age-neutral selection process.

Yeah pretty much all life in Japan is built on age hierarchy. The younger students respect the older ons who serve as their mentors, the students in turn respect the teachers with age skewering higher the higher your position in the faculty, you get into the work place and those same dynamics repeat, the juniors are there to be mentored by the seniors, you're not allowed to leave until your senior does, everyone works as late as the highest tiered person in the office who's almost always the oldest. It's considered disrespectful to do so, and there's a great deal of 'respect' greasing the system.

But the blood cycles a lot slower there than in America for example. At the same time there's a big focus on image, no one leaves because they were fired, they got sick and had to retire, or something that doesn't make it about them losing their job. The lower you get on the chain, the less likely an excuse will be made to save face, but even then, the companies don't want to look like they hire incompetent people, so saying that a person is taking a leave of absence or is having to retire due to illness makes them externally look better, even though everyone knows it's code for "he was fired" they never mention that because it's against 'the rules' I guess.

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

Maybe I'm slow but holy poo poo, you could not more literally have come face to face with the man who sold the world...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Maybe I'm slow but holy poo poo, you could not more literally have come face to face with the man who sold the world...

Can someone please explain this to me? How was the entire world ever Big Boss' s to sell and who did he sell it to?

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
I don't know, but "The man who sold the world" is a song about someone meeting their doppleganger

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can someone please explain this to me? How was the entire world ever Big Boss' s to sell and who did he sell it to?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=metaphor&oq=metaphor&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.337j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

"A metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies something as being the same as some unrelated thing for rhetorical effect, thus highlighting the similarities between the two."

:negative:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2015

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=metaphor&oq=metaphor&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.337j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

"A metaphor is a figure of speech that identifies something as being the same as some unrelated thing for rhetorical effect, thus highlighting the similarities between the two."

:negative:

Ok then apparently David Bowie's lyrics are way the gently caress over my head because I have no idea how "selling the world" relates to "meeting your doppelganger".

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I love that a cover version of Big Boss wakes up to a cover version of Bowie's song.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
"Sold" in the context of the lyrics refers to fooling or deceiving someone, like the expression "sold them a bill of goods" refers to conning somebody. It's more of a British thing. Bowie is reflecting on his past and deciding that he's the same person he was even though he's changed, despite the world thinking he's some inventive chameleon. Or maybe it's about drugs, whatever.

Big Boss considers himself The Man Who Sold The World because he fooled everyone into thinking Venom was him. Venom is face to face with The Man Who Sold The World when he looks into the mirror. Or is Venom the one selling the world? Who knows? Not me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nakar posted:

"Sold" in the context of the lyrics refers to fooling or deceiving someone, like the expression "sold them a bill of goods" refers to conning somebody. It's more of a British thing. Bowie is reflecting on his past and deciding that he's the same person he was even though he's changed, despite the world thinking he's some inventive chameleon. Or maybe it's about drugs, whatever.

Big Boss considers himself The Man Who Sold The World because he fooled everyone into thinking Venom was him. Venom is face to face with The Man Who Sold The World when he looks into the mirror. Or is Venom the one selling the world? Who knows? Not me.

Thanks for the explanation :)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The song works from both perspectives too. Venom is not a true reflection of Big Boss, he's a manifestation of who he thinks he really is. Venom is the one who turned against the entire world with outer heaven, and he's in denial that he's the one responsible for his own actions.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 19, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Broseph Brostar posted:

The song works from both perspectives too. Venom is the one who turned against the entire world with outer heaven, and he's in denial that he's the one responsible for his own actions.

It works for most of the cast except Kaz

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

It works for most of the cast except Kaz

Only because he's too dumb to look inside. Even though he can't see outside either. On account of the blindness.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Zero in a quite literal sense ends up selling the world into something tantamount to slavery

Skullface tricks the world into thinking that he's acting on Zero's behalf

Big Boss tricks the world into thinking he's someone who died a long long time ago.

Venom (inadvertantly) tricks the world into thinking he's Big Boss

Huey sells out Big Boss to Cipher at least once, maybe twice.

Ocelot

Deep Space Hitler
Apr 21, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Big Boss calls himself the man who sold the world, and his face is surgically attached to your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The song is actually about mister Kojima-san.

• Locked thread