Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

anyone know the console command for the ranks of the local leader perk? really feel as if this should have been a default mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Inon Zur pulled out all the stops for this soundtrack, didn't he? Diamond City's music is loving amazing.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
It sounds like my decision to invest nothing in charisma and solve all situations by blowing off heads rather than talking was the correct one. And with the bloody mess perk, that's way more satisfying anyway.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 16, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

CJacobs posted:

It's because they don't design their video games with you cheating in mind, dumbass

It's not really cheating to use the tools given to you by the game to the best benefit possible. Even if it was, it's sort of generally accepted that as a developer it's your job to prevent the most amount of cheating possible. Sorta why VAC exists in the first place.

Moridin920 posted:

But what's really the point when you can just console yourself whatever you want anyway?

As long as you're talking about designing things to be easily bypassed.

So your argument is literally 'I adjusted my HUD to a color that makes the font unreadable, this is Bethesda's fault' ???

Percentage based can be save scummed easily, too. It's just weird to complain that save scumming is possible then suggest a alternative that would do nothing to resolve your complaint.

I never said that I wanted the percent system implemented to bypass savescumming though, they're two completely different thoughts.

I want percent-based indicators because they give you a good idea of how much your buffs and perks are affecting speech checks, so you can use that data to choose or ignore those things on your own terms, rather than having to roughly guess based on how many times you've succeeded/failed checks in a ballpark.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Moridin920 posted:

1 CTD in ~40 hours of playing is not broken and unplayable.

Man do I enjoy people using their personal anecdotes as prima facie evidence that the game has no issues whatsoever

I had to work around the Stuck at Terminals bug, if google is an indicator lots of other people had to work around the Stuck at Terminals bug, just because you didn't get it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lady Naga posted:

It's not really cheating to use the tools given to you by the game to the best benefit possible. Even if it was, it's sort of generally accepted that as a developer it's your job to prevent the most amount of cheating possible. Sorta why VAC exists in the first place.

Reloading your game to an earlier state to brute force a better outcome isn't cheating??

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"gently caress I just had an entire round ruined because this guy wouldn't stop wallhacking, why can't they implement some sort of anti-cheat system so these guys get kicked?"

"They don't design their video games with you cheating in mind, dumbass."

CJacobs posted:

Reloading your game to an earlier state to brute force a better outcome isn't cheating??
Considering the game explicitly allows it and they've done nothing to prevent me from doing so, no.

Using those "always succeed at lockpicking" mods are (very lightly) cheating, because you're using external tools to bypass a skill-based check. Brute-forcing a better outcome is just using the tools that were given to me by the developer in order to give myself an edge.

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 16, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lady Naga posted:

I never said that I wanted the percent system implemented to bypass savescumming though, they're two completely different thoughts.

Oh my bad then.

Lady Naga posted:

"gently caress I just had an entire round ruined because this guy wouldn't stop wallhacking, why can't they implement some sort of anti-cheat system so these guys get kicked?"

"They don't design their video games with you cheating in mind, dumbass."

But obv there's a difference between online multiplayer and single player. VAC prevents cheating in multiplayer games. Generally in single player games the option to cheat is a wanted feature - thus the console availability.

quadrophrenic posted:

Man do I enjoy people using their personal anecdotes as prima facie evidence that the game has no issues whatsoever

I had to work around the Stuck at Terminals bug, if google is an indicator lots of other people had to work around the Stuck at Terminals bug, just because you didn't get it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I understand there are bugs. The game still isn't BROKEN and UNPLAYABLE. That implies it is.... unplayable.

If a bug exists that sucks but if the workaround is to edit 1 .ini file while waiting for a patch then it's not that big of a deal imo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rockybar posted:

anyone know the console command for the ranks of the local leader perk? really feel as if this should have been a default mechanic.

level 1: player.addperk 0004d88d

level 2: player.addperk 001d2468

If you have the required CHA I would recommend adding yourself a couple levels and taking the perks that way though, when I added Local Leader with the console I couldn't assign supply routes.

e: oops quote is not edit

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It'd be cool if Cannibal gave some bonus in addition to the heal. Maybe different bonuses depending on what kind of corpse you're eating.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This game is easy! Every time I die I just load back and try again. loving Bethesda why can't you design a video game right?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The one bug I get semi-consistently that's really begun to piss me off is when I try to switch to another favorited weapon and it'll either refuse to bring it out or my hands will go up but the gun will be invisible.

Other than that the buggy stuff in the game has been pretty excusable.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Moridin920 posted:

But obv there's a difference between online multiplayer and single player. VAC prevents cheating in multiplayer games. Generally in single player games the option to cheat is a wanted feature - thus the console availability.

I understand that the console is somewhat of a grey area but personally I file it under "external tool", a lot of games take measures to stop you using the console too (previous bethesda games would block achievement progress if you used the console, for example. Not really sure why this one does, other than they understand that their game is so buggy you'll have to use the console at some point to unfuck something).

Bholder posted:

This game is easy! Every time I die I just load back and try again. loving Bethesda why can't you design a video game right?
I agree, death-based failure states are a relic of game design that should be phased out.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there a way to console yourself in generic perk points to spend without forcing a level up?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

this thread would only be half as many pages if lady naga would just stop loving posting 10 times every loving page

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is there a way to console yourself in generic perk points to spend without forcing a level up?

Moridin920 posted:

level 1: player.addperk 0004d88d

level 2: player.addperk 001d2468

If you have the required CHA I would recommend adding yourself a couple levels and taking the perks that way though, when I added Local Leader with the console I couldn't assign supply routes.

e: oops quote is not edit

Just find the id for the perk(s) you want.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Otacon posted:

this thread would only be half as many pages if lady naga would just stop loving posting 10 times every loving page
Most threads would be a lot shorter if people didn't post in them as much actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big problem with Charisma is that it is by far the easiest stat to game for anything short of perks, most of which are situational at best. You begin with a +2 Cha gear in your inventory and can pretty trivially get +1 from the Militia Hat you find on the corpse with the laser musket and another +1 from the countless pairs of glasses in the wasteland. That's a straight +4 to a stat that effectively maxes out at 10 for anything that isn't settlement stuff. There's also a +1 Cha bobblehead, better Cha gear, and plenty of booze/drugs that hyper-boost your Cha. Fairly trivially at *1* Cha you can get a boost to 10 and effectively assured speech check passing. That means the perks are the only thing it has going for it and only then if you want Settlement stuff.

Intelligence is similar but not quite as bad. The bonuses to Intelligence are good but there's a lot of int-up gear and drugs you can toss on for the experience boost. It has a better lineup of perks though again suffers if you don't play to do settlement stuff as Science! and Gun Nut can both be replicated by yanking mods off dropped weapons. The Exp gain is also somewhat circumvented by Idiot Savant and there's almost nothing in the line of actual intelligence checks.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I think the issue is that explicitly save-scumming to get past speech checks is something that has been designed around for a good long while in other RPGs, with seeds and whatnot. The fact that it's possible in FO4 is just more sign of the kind of ancient design jankiness that Bethesda revels in.

I don't really care either way. I'm playing this game as a shooter, not an RPG. I'll console in perks I want, savescum past speech checks all day. Anything that gets me more of that sweet sweet content is fine by me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Inon Zur pulled out all the stops for this soundtrack, didn't he? Diamond City's music is loving amazing.

The game's music is really good yeah, besides the UI and jank in settlement building there's not much about the game I'm not liking. It's really bugfree for the most part too (I had to reload at the Kellogg fight because I strafed eternally after firing off the Fat Man to destroy him though), which is amazing for Bethesda.

Charisma 6 is fun and good if you do settlements and figure out how to get stores to make money. I haven't yet but god willing they will turn a profit one day.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Zur is good and I wish he got more work.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lady Naga posted:

Most threads would be a lot shorter if people didn't post in them as much actually.

Wow you're a clever little cookie! Did you realize he was saying you're obnoxious and lovely at posting though?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a mod or console command that will let me change the stats of an item?

I want to basically take Preston Garvey's Colonial Duster and give it the stats of the Silver Shroud Armor so I can just wear that around and look awesome all day.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Bob NewSCART posted:

Wow you're a clever little cookie! Did you realize he was saying you're obnoxious and lovely at posting though?

Well considering it's objectively untrue I'm not sure why he'd post such a thing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

Is there a mod or console command that will let me change the stats of an item?

I want to basically take Preston Garvey's Colonial Duster and give it the stats of the Silver Shroud Armor so I can just wear that around and look awesome all day.

Unless you find a mod is for that item specifically you'll probably have to wait for the mod tools

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah but all your posts are really bad and every thread would probably be better by your absence

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Naga posted:

Well considering it's objectively untrue I'm not sure why he'd post such a thing.

I don't think you know what objectively means.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't think you know what objectively means.

It means that a conclusion is reached without bias or interpretation. I'm a verifiably good poster, ergo, his statement is objectively untrue.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Don't hate on the #1 poster in the thread. I'm enjoying our conversations.

E: Its better than you nerds asking where dogmeat went or how do you do some dumbshit trivial task every 3 pages.

Case in point.
vvv

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 16, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's cool how games that everyone acknowledges are janky, poorly made pieces of poo poo good for soothing a particular kind of autism and nothing else, still get 9.5/10 from reviewers

tl/dr: nerds suck

tl/dr 2: don't ban me for this please

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If you all could construct adhesive from my posts and build settlements on them I bet you'd be complaining a whole lot less.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Apologies if any of this has been asked already, but is there an immediate downside to settler happiness or lack of anything? Do settlers leave or die or are settlements more likely to be attacked if lacking? Is there a maximum and/or can I shift settlers between locations?
Is it possible for them to equip the armor pieces that can be overlaid onto clothing (chest pieces, arm/leg pieces)? I traded one of my clowns a set but it never seemed like he put them on at all.
Has anyone successfully stolen a fusion core out of an enemy's power armor suit yet? What's the minimum success requirement? (perk/stat wise)
Can I make the building blocks/walls/fences/whatever snap to the edge of a foundation of a completely ruined building? it's loving RUINING my ocd.
And why the gently caress is a raider with a fat man not damaged by the explosion it puts out? I've tested this repeatedly now with the partially power armored (helmet and chest piece only) rear end in a top hat that spawns on the walk bridge between buildings in Lexington. Luckily he doesn't have more ammunition beyond the first mini nuke but it is hot bullshit he's not affected by its explosion.

E: How does one best handle mole rat/ghoul swarms on highest difficulty? I've taken to just running far the gently caress away, hope they aggro the dog and trying to shoot them in the head as they come running towards me. They absolutely murder my (admittedly poo poo 3 endurance) guy in melee.

E2: Any reliable sources for oil, screws and adhesives? I seem to never have enough, but that's because I obsessively remove mods from found weapons to stack them on the one example of the gun I actually do use, so maybe I am the problem here.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 16, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Remember when this thread was about Fallout?

I had my first encounter with a Deathclaw in the wild last night. I was heading down south for a quest and saw all the tell-tale signs of a Super Mutant encampment in the distance, so I went stealth mode and crept up slowly. They were going nuts, shouting and shooting and explosions and all sorts of nonsense. Then it all tapered off and stopped completely. I looted the building next door, saw a bunch of dead mutants from a second story window, and thought "hmm, that's weird, maybe a BoS patrol took them out". Went out the front of the building, rounded the corner to their front gate. Face to face with a motherfucking Deathclaw. Poor Nick didn't stand a chance, pulled his lovely pipe pistol and went to town anyway. I went for the legs with my reliable Righteous Authority and we cut him down pretty quick. It was absolutely terrifying for a second, but he was already wounded so it went alright.

I happened to see another from a rooftop in the same area, but I was able to snipe him to death. Not as good of a story.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

icantfindaname posted:

it's cool how games that everyone acknowledges are janky, poorly made pieces of poo poo good for soothing a particular kind of autism and nothing else, still get 9.5/10 from reviewers

Nostalgia is a powerful thing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is it possible for them to equip the armor pieces that can be overlaid onto clothing (chest pieces, arm/leg pieces)? I traded one of my clowns a set but it never seemed like he put them on at all.

You have to tell them (and companions) to wear/wield equipment you give them. On a 360 controller you press Y to do it. It should say which button to press at the bottom of the screen when you're in their inventory.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

goodness posted:

When it comes to bethesda it's less nostalgia and more their incredible marketing prowess. Fully investing into multiplat releases means that they've fully cemented themselves into what "game culture" is all about.

Nostalgia definitely plays a role, though. They've been around long enough that they feel like they're always there.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Hambilderberglar posted:

Can I make the building blocks/walls/fences/whatever snap to the edge of a foundation of a completely ruined building? it's loving RUINING my ocd.

this is basically first on my mod wish list and I honestly think I would be much more willing to engage with settlements if I could snap to foundation

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Lady Naga posted:

I'm a verifiably good poster, ergo, his statement is objectively untrue.

everything you post is categorically and demonstrably false

also youre a human being

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

everything you post is categorically and demonstrably false

also youre a human being

Don't be crude, please. We were having a nice discussion.

Also a good volume of my posts this thread is answering people's questions so it makes even less sense to attack me this time around.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

icantfindaname posted:

Because the game is still really good? Hard to believe I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

goodness posted:

arthur gies is cool and correct with all his social justice opinions and stuff, but the bit about fallout 3 giving meaning to his life or whatever nearly made me laugh out loud

• Locked thread