Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I saw Paul Ryan's 60 Minute segment and I do think he doesn't want the Speaker position. I mean he was willing to take VP depsite that being the most do-nothing role possible. So he probably wasn't (entirely) lying about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

smg77 posted:

To be fair her answer was ridiculous and I'm still surprised Bernie and MOM didn't jump on it immediately.

That would have been a mistake. The answer was so bad the moderators basically called her out on it and even the likes of the WaPo and NYT are today, too. Jumping on her would have taken some of the heat off of her answer and turned the narrative 100% into SANDERS/OMALLEY ATTACK CLINTON.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Bernie's answer on the global warming and ISIS was really stupid in how he approached it. I knew immediately what he was going after, but man did he gently caress up that delivery, not once but twice.

Hillary's response to Wall Street backing was easily the dumbest answer of the night, but I think her almost immediate call out on that answer by a kick rear end Twitter comment helped save her because it kind of prevented it from really blowing up.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

pathetic little tramp posted:

Global Warming kinda did. The entire conflict in Syria started over water.

'Evil people don't kill people, lack of water kills people' kind of sounds like the liberal version of conservative's favorite line to flaunt, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

'Evil people don't kill people, lack of water kills people' kind of sounds like the liberal version of conservative's favorite line to flaunt, 'guns don't kill people, people kill people'.

I can't tell if you're joking but the point is that climate change is going to destabilize the third world even more because of diminishing resources, making it a national security threat.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

tsa posted:

It certainly was not a win and his chances are rapidly dwindling at this point. Also as I just said this probably just became a Foreign Policy campaign due to the attack and that pretty much scuttles what hope he had left- he ain't beating Hillary in an election focused on terrorism. And yes he does think it is a contributing factor, which is kinda dumb because there's no real evidence to support the connection at all between GCC and ISIS and the arab spring and so on.

Didn't watch the debate. But I was under the impression Syria was destabilized in significant part by an ongoing drought, people dying of thirst being much more desperate to change things. And the Pentagon is pretty consistent about climate change being a threat to national security.

'Course that's only part of the story and far too nuanced to catch on, but still.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Without knowing anything about the impact of climate change on the Mideast, I feel like there was something else happening in the region that might have impacted water infrastructure...

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Talmonis posted:

This. Also, ask what possessed him to endorse something with such horrible optics as the "Rain Tax."

From a few pages back, but this is one of those "Watershed states start contributing more to the cleanup or start to rack up fines from the EPA." The tax was really only something like $30 for most homeowners. But MD as a whole had a freakout about it and now we have Hogan. Granted, I don't think Maryland Republicans are as insane as some Midwest Republicans, but.. yeah.

e: From an environmental standpoint, the 'ran tax' was a good thing to help fund Bay cleanup and other conservation projects. But getting people to care about something they can't eat, fight or gently caress is hard.

Sorus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 16, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DOOP posted:

Obama and Putin. Is Pig Fucker the other dude? No idea about the woman.

The woman is National Security Advisor Susan Rice. I assume the man is her Russian counterpart.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsa posted:

Well this why the US was so slow to accept refugees- it takes a very long time to vet each one. A lot of people wanted to drop that policy but it's a very good thing no one of importance listened. I mean it's hardly just going to be the US south on this issue- refugee policy is going to be changed across the globe.

The slowness involved with refugee intake is entirely political, starting from Congressional funding, to a lack of bureacratic initiative, to stops and checks imposed from cabinet level officials that have nothing to do with safety.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Aren't the regimes in those states allowing this outflow of money in support of terrorism because otherwise it would go toward essentially firing up a civil war within their own borders? It could be that as difficult as it has been to limit the spread of ISIS and the worldwide effects of the fighting would be a walk in the park compared to Saudi Arabia and co plunging into full civil war.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You seem to be missing the fact that your point brings about a even worse right-wing conclusion -- muslim citizens cannot be trusted now if they can be radicalized.

Luigi Thirty posted:

My local mosque got a phone message from some nut saying he was going to firebomb it and shoot Muslim children along with several other Florida mosques so uhhhh I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.

This is really where my concern lies. When a major, possibly country wide small-arms attack occurs, the country is going to go insane. So insane, that it might be right to start worrying about pogroms, after the landslide Republican election it would cause. I mean, you already have Trump calling to shut down Mosques, and it's a quick trip to burning them down in the night.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DOOP posted:

Obama and Putin. Is Pig Fucker the other dude? No idea about the woman.

The woman is Susan Rice. The pig fucker...maybe a Putin aide?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ISIS is going to be impossible to deal with for the same reason the Taliban was impossible to deal with in Afghanistan: we're unwilling to intervene with the source (Saudi Arabia in the former, Pakistan for the latter).

Anything that doesn't involve throttling Saudi Arabia et al via economic/financial means isn't going to be effective at all in curtailing ISIS in Syria and Iraq.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Knowing that, in a world of more than six billion people, there will always be assholes like the Paris terrorists - is it worth it to try and fight for good, knowing that any progress made will be thrown away the instant some dude shouts "allahu ackbar" and unloads a few AK magazines into innocent people?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

"Radical Islam" is also kinda meaningless because its in English and you could say it applies to anything. Like Obama could say that we are at war with "Radical Islam" and then praise our Wahhabi allies in Saudi Arabia or something.

Agree.

EDIT:

Radbot posted:

Knowing that, in a world of more than six billion people, there will always be assholes like the Paris terrorists - is it worth it to try and fight for good, knowing that any progress made will be thrown away the instant some dude shouts "allahu ackbar" and unloads a few AK magazines into innocent people?

This is pretty histronic. There are less people being killed in war related and terrorist attacks than there has ever been. The causes for terrorism (a lack of institutions, development, hope, and options for a large chunk of the world's population) have been recognized for a long time, and real, smart, and dedicated investment by the world community has already short circuted time and time again at its source, from the IRA, to the Tamil Tigers (though the ending there was pretty ugly), Maoists in Nepal, anarchists in Europe, etc, etc.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 16, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Huckabee smells an opportunity

quote:

Republican presidential candidate and Former Arkansas Gov. Huckabee suggested in a radio interview Saturday that Syrian refugees be put in the neighborhoods or homes of the “limousine liberals” who support accepting them into the U.S.

“[L]isten, all of these feel good liberals who say we ought to be taking in refugees,” Huckabee said on the John Gibson show Saturday, “how come they never end up in the neighborhood where the limousine liberal lives? Behind gated communities and with armed security around.”

“Heck, we may take them to the University of Missouri,” Huckabee said. “A lot of the students are so stressed out from feeling unsafe because somebody said a word they didn’t like that they are not using their dorm rooms anymore. Maybe we can put them there.”

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shifty Pony posted:

Aren't the regimes in those states allowing this outflow of money in support of terrorism because otherwise it would go toward essentially firing up a civil war within their own borders? It could be that as difficult as it has been to limit the spread of ISIS and the worldwide effects of the fighting would be a walk in the park compared to Saudi Arabia and co plunging into full civil war.

Yeah, I think the idea of exporting your problems to other countries is a big motivator for them. But, maybe they've been chopping off the heads and hands of the wrong people within their border. Maybe they should start putting the right people up against the wall inside their own borders before the West has to do it for them. I'd rather see Arab sons and daughters in uniform fighting ISIS rather than U.S. kids. It simply seems that anything the West does or can do is delaying the inevitable change that is going to have to come in the Middle East Monarchies.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radbot posted:

Agreed. Let's not try to fix anything, let entropy take its course, why bother, hail Satan.

:rolleyes:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Agreed. Let's not try to fix anything, let entropy take its course, why bother, hail Satan.

entropy always wins. ~ Posted by a collection of highly organized biochemical processes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

What an opportunistic shithead.

All the cheap political point scoring since the Paris attacks has been really loving aggravating. :argh:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

This is really where my concern lies. When a major, possibly country wide small-arms attack occurs, the country is going to go insane. So insane, that it might be right to start worrying about pogroms, after the landslide Republican election it would cause. I mean, you already have Trump calling to shut down Mosques, and it's a quick trip to burning them down in the night.

You gotta figure that Daesh knows that this is what's going to happen, and I'm uncomfortable with the thought that they're planning an attack on the US in an attempt to trigger it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What an opportunistic shithead.

All the cheap political point scoring since the Paris attacks has been really loving aggravating. :argh:

Now you know how Republicans feel after a mass shooting.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

In non-mosque burning news, the Safe Campus Act is a thing, and like every congressional act, the name is not a good descriptor.

Editorialized HuffPo piece, but good connected sources.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elura-nanos/the-safe-campus-act-a-bil_b_8316646.html

The law would prohibit colleges from investigating sexual assault allegations if the victim refuses to report it to police as well. And if a police investigation is going on, it limits a campus' ability to discipline the student or organization being investigated. And only sexual assault allegations. It seems to block the mandatory reporting requirements for faculty advisors as well student campus employees.

The National fraternity and sorority organizations supported it for a long time, because they had a bone thrown to them reinforcing their single-sex exemptions. That's not true anymore.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nic-safe-campus-act_56469994e4b08cda3488eed7

Schools are great for educating students, but tend to be absolutely awful at investigating and discipling students. The due process additions seem to be well-written and a good solution to the complete and utter lack of due process on college campuses right now (at least mine). But it's not worth limiting a school's ability to discipline students who are accused of committing sexual assault crimes. Or removing mandatory reporting requirements.

Limiting it to sexual assault allegations just seems wrong to me. I'd rather it be all or nothing when it comes to limits on what colleges can do to to punish students for their criminal acts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Now you know how Republicans feel after a mass shooting.

What's the german word for feeling the same feelings about your guns that you do your children?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

To be fair Radbot is literally an accelerationist so this isn't outside his wheelhouse

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

as much of a shithead as he is, i sorta of agree with him, it would be better to house the refugees in more tolerant areas.

kelvron posted:

In non-mosque burning news, the Safe Campus Act is a thing, and like every congressional act, the name is not a good descriptor.

Editorialized HuffPo piece, but good connected sources.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elura-nanos/the-safe-campus-act-a-bil_b_8316646.html

The law would prohibit colleges from investigating sexual assault allegations if the victim refuses to report it to police as well. And if a police investigation is going on, it limits a campus' ability to discipline the student or organization being investigated. And only sexual assault allegations. It seems to block the mandatory reporting requirements for faculty advisors as well student campus employees.

The National fraternity and sorority organizations supported it for a long time, because they had a bone thrown to them reinforcing their single-sex exemptions. That's not true anymore.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nic-safe-campus-act_56469994e4b08cda3488eed7

Schools are great for educating students, but tend to be absolutely awful at investigating and discipling students. The due process additions seem to be well-written and a good solution to the complete and utter lack of due process on college campuses right now (at least mine). But it's not worth limiting a school's ability to discipline students who are accused of committing sexual assault crimes. Or removing mandatory reporting requirements.

Limiting it to sexual assault allegations just seems wrong to me. I'd rather it be all or nothing when it comes to limits on what colleges can do to to punish students for their criminal acts.

I agree with parts of the law, at least the part of the first part.(if its truly serious then you should report it to the cops) but the rest comes off as bullshit especially the mandatory reporting stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been mentioned, but here's a WaPo OpEd about how refugee hatred is a goal of ISIS. Share it with your ignorant facebook friends!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zelder posted:

To be fair Radbot is literally an accelerationist so this isn't outside his wheelhouse

Exactly, it's quite acceleratonist and histrionic to observe what happened to American civil liberties after 9/11, to see the same thing happening in France, and to wonder what the end game is going to be when we've made it quite clear that we're willing to throw years of progress in the trash when some assholes kill fewer people than were killed in the US by auto accidents in 1.5 days.

If all it takes to return to near days-after-9/11 hatred of Muslims is a half dozen assholes killing people, things will never get better (for them, at least). We're never going to get down to 0% of Muslims being terrorists, and we've made it clear that anything above that turns us into quivering cowards.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 16, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sword of Chomsky posted:

entropy always wins. ~ Posted by a collection of highly organized biochemical processes.

Keep going, you've almost discovered the sun!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

You gotta figure that Daesh knows that this is what's going to happen, and I'm uncomfortable with the thought that they're planning an attack on the US in an attempt to trigger it.

This is exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it. It's disgustingly effective and they know it.

In a rare bit of good news, my state's governor isn't a total piece of poo poo:

quote:

@MaxReiss: BREAKING: @GovMalloyOffice tells @NBCConnecticut that the state will continue to take in Syrian refugees.

:unsmith:

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I agree with parts of the law, at least the part of the first part.(if its truly serious then you should report it to the cops) but the rest comes off as bullshit especially the mandatory reporting stuff.

Sometimes victims don't feel comfortable going to law enforcement and it's good for them to have access to other services if they don't feel like they want to report. For example, part of the military's initiative against sexual assaults allows for unrestricted and restricted reporting, the former involving law enforcement and chain of command, the latter ensuring access to healthcare and advocacy services without automatically notifying law enforcement or command.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

baw posted:

Sometimes victims don't feel comfortable going to law enforcement and it's good for them to have access to other services if they don't feel like they want to report. For example, part of the military's initiative against sexual assaults allows for unrestricted and restricted reporting, the former involving law enforcement and chain of command, the latter ensuring access to healthcare and advocacy services without automatically notifying law enforcement or command.

It also provides a paper trail in case the person chooses to go further later.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radbot posted:

Exactly, it's quite acceleratonist and histrionic to observe what happened to American civil liberties after 9/11, to see the same thing happening in France, and to wonder what the end game is going to be when we've made it quite clear that we're willing to throw years of progress in the trash when some assholes kill fewer people than were killed in the US by auto accidents in 1.5 days.

If all it takes to return to near days-after-9/11 hatred of Muslims is a half dozen assholes killing people, things will never get better (for them, at least). We're never going to get down to 0% of Muslims being terrorists, and we've made it clear that anything above that turns us into quivering cowards.

It's unacceptable to belittle the fears of people in the wake of a purposeful slaughter of a large number of innocents by a tiny group of monsters. People have every right to be worried about something happening here, as it's not only promised by the same ones who did so in paris, but predicted by our own intelligence agencies. There is no "just ignore it" option. They will not go away. They will kill as many innocent people as they can in as grusome and inhumane ways as they can, until either their capacity to do so is eliminated, or they win their insane war against all non-arab, non-salafists.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

baw posted:

The counterpoint there is that the military's approach hasn't worked very well. Neither has letting the Catholic Church have its own internal redress system parallel and complimentary to law enforcement.

You handle this with law enforcement, because if you let the other organization step in, it moves to rear end covering instead of Justice. That people aren't comfortable with law enforcement is an argument for law enforcement reform, not for other ways of seeking redress.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

The counterpoint there is that the military's approach hasn't worked very well. Neither has letting the Catholic Church have its own internal redress system parallel and complimentary to law enforcement.

You handle this with law enforcement, because if you let the other organization step in, it moves to rear end covering instead of Justice. That people aren't comfortable with law enforcement is an argument for law enforcement reform, not for other ways of seeking redress.

The military is just now establishing a baseline because the problem was that no one was reporting these things before. Reports are going up which is a good sign because it shows that people are more willing to come forward. That was the status as of a year ago anyway, not sure what has changed.

baw fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 16, 2015

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

The problem is we don't know how to deal with people with murderous intentions in a constructive way. We can ignore automobile accidents because they are rarely intentional and, in theory, preventable, but mass murder gets to us because we feel helpless in the face of evil.

Since we lack a constructive way of dealing with it, vengeance and brutality seem to be the only solution to violence and brutality.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as much of a shithead as he is, i sorta of agree with him, it would be better to house the refugees in more tolerant areas.

Yeah but you know the intended idea is less "Put the people who are in an incredibly stressful situation someplace safe" and more "Then when they go Sudden Jihadist they'll only kill liberals and not True Americans©"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

baw posted:

i guess my problem is after stuff like the rolling stones case and the matress case. i kinda of want a official investigation to go along with the colleges. that or you have incidents where the colleges sweep poo poo under the rug and tell the victims to keep quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i kinda of want a official investigation to go along with the colleges.

The victim might not.

• Locked thread