Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I thought Owen was less of a dick now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I hope that midway through the match both the players are seized by existential crises and they stop playing and give their collections to charity

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well TomMa won.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

AgentSythe posted:

Sam Black's Top 8 draft is completely insane. BUG Nonsense, featuring Desolation Twin and Part the Waterveil

I definitely liked seeing Sam resolve awakened Part, even though he did it on the turn before he died

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I hope that midway through the match both the players are seized by existential crises and they stop playing and give their collections to charity

:chanpop:
3edgy5me

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

No way dude think of how much Reid duke would disapprove of their dishonor.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Terrible Horse posted:

I definitely liked seeing Sam resolve awakened Part, even though he did it on the turn before he died

I assume it was actually the turn before the turn before he died? :eng101:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gridlocked posted:

Well TomMa won.

Heh, a base green deck won.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Heh, a base green deck won.

At the end of Green may have less of a win percentage over all compared to other colours, but I bet you that following Owen Turtenwald's 'advice' to not even draft Green when its open, and fight other players for the same archetypes, hurts your odds more,

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I would like to point out that Owen's advice got him to the finals and that Tom considered his deck worse so

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Weaker/worst archetypes also have a nonzero chance of winning a draft table, that's kind of how drafts work.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
THREAD TOPIC FOR TODAY: WE ARE MEMBERS OF THE WEATHERLIGHT CREW

oh golly gee whiz, crovax is up to no good, guess i should follow him despite this grievous wound

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I've died thirty seven times today

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
You do not know sorrow until you can't cry.

Birds have pooped on me.

These are not unrelated.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
My adoptive father's son stole all my stuff and then became a supervillain.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Remember the fable of the Ewan McGregor-lookalike in a hosed-up soap opera: even if you're only good at sarcasm and sword fights, you can still get some pussy.

Literally.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think Barrin taught me how to Meditate so I'd stop posting.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

I think Barrin taught me how to Meditate so I'd stop posting.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
"What's this?"
"The MTG Megthread."
"Am I smart enough ta post there?"
"You could say that."

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

At the end of Green may have less of a win percentage over all compared to other colours, but I bet you that following Owen Turtenwald's 'advice' to not even draft Green when its open, and fight other players for the same archetypes, hurts your odds more,

THAT'S NOT MY OWEN

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I tap blocking creatures."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I recall the fable of Dampen Thought: the best draft archetype is the one everyone gives you.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

THAT'S NOT MY OWEN

I don't like to speak ill of pro's... but just what did Martell think he was doing?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Zoness posted:

I don't like to speak ill of pro's... but just what did Martell think he was doing?

Until you have drafted black in AVR, do not talk to me of bad colors in draft.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Elyv posted:

I would like to point out that Owen's advice got him to the finals and that Tom considered his deck worse so

It did, and probably the fact that he was in a good seat to get into UR helped as well.

The difference in win percentage between UR and the highest Green deck, Bant, is about 4%. Significant if you're trying to number crunch every decision and play to narrow odds, but the same significant difference can occur as a result in disparity of card power from sitting directly to the left of someone forcing the same archetype.

At the end of the day Owen's advice to avoid Green is sound, but to ignore it completely isn't.

Zoness posted:

Probably taking the best cards in the pack, he's also splashing two amazing blue uncommons.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 16, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

At the end of the day Owen's advice to avoid Green is sound, but to ignore it completely isn't.

Every color has the potential to not be worthless.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

It did, and probably the fact that he was in a good seat to get into UR helped as well.

The difference in win percentage between UR and the highest Green deck, Bant, is about 4%. Significant if you're trying to number crunch every decision and play to narrow odds, but the same significant difference can occur as a result in disparity of card power from sitting directly to the left of someone forcing the same archetype.

Probably taking the best cards in the pack, he's also splashing two amazing blue uncommons.

I cradle my rage even as the thread cradles this bad post.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Never have I seen so many made sick for so long. We will never engage with McMagic's posting again.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

black potus posted:

I cradle my rage even as the thread cradles this bad post.

Am I wrong or are you just going to shitpost.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

Temper, temper.

JerryLee posted:

Never have I seen so many made sick for so long. We will never engage with McMagic's posting again.

The posts of McMagic aren't fast, powerful, or pleasant, but they have their uses.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

What is crueler? To let a post in the thread fester, or to simply cut it out?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

You're not my mcmagic.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Zoness posted:

Temper, temper.

I mean, I'm slightly annoyed at having my posting called bad rather than criticism. All I was originally saying is I think Owen's previous statements about never drafting green is wrong, even if its just because sometimes your best odds given your seat, and those aren't significantly terrible odds either, are found drafting it.

What do I know though. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what Owen originally said anyway. :shrug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

"But these posts don't mean anything!"
"No-- they mean nothing."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rimusutera posted:

I mean, I'm slightly annoyed at having my posting called bad rather than criticism. All I was originally saying is I think Owen's previous statements about never drafting green is wrong, even if its just because sometimes your best odds given your seat, and those aren't significantly terrible odds either, are found drafting it.

What do I know though. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what Owen originally said anyway. :shrug:

Owen taught to me that the hardest archetypes to draft are the ones you wanted to play anyway.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

JerryLee posted:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Is an emptyquote a Null Read?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I drafted WGB Allies splashing Munda this weekend and it was pretty good.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

JerryLee posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JerryLee posted:

I don't get it...

• Locked thread