Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk fable was about what id expect from someone who does not know how to make a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bloody posted:

idk fable was about what id expect from someone who does not know how to make a game

he's the only person I know if in the games industry who appears to actually have the job of "ideas guy"

and he's terrible at it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I enjoyed fable in a weird way

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

i enjoyed fable when it came out
i was also a stupid kid when it came out

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

theflyingorc posted:

he's the only person I know if in the games industry who appears to actually have the job of "ideas guy"

and he's terrible at it

doesn't he just have like one idea and just keeps trying to shoehorn it into various games?

"what if your character could do bad things too?! they could like.. look evil and poo poo or something."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

doesn't he just have like one idea and just keeps trying to shoehorn it into various games?

"what if your character could do bad things too?! they could like.. look evil and poo poo or something."

nah, he throws out all sorts of stuff

his reputation turned into "he always promises things in his games that he can't deliver", but that's because all of his ideas are stupid and obviously wouldn't work in a game, and if you thought "oh man how cool is it that if you sleep around in this game you can get STDs!" you're a stupid person, how in the world would that possibly make the game more fun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

nah, he throws out all sorts of stuff

his reputation turned into "he always promises things in his games that he can't deliver", but that's because all of his ideas are stupid and obviously wouldn't work in a game, and if you thought "oh man how cool is it that if you sleep around in this game you can get STDs!" you're a stupid person, how in the world would that possibly make the game more fun

his mistake is actually making these games instead of making pictures of what may or may not be in the game and crowdfunding $100mil based on that

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
early on in his career, he started out making games with dumb ideas, and other people had the power to stop him and say "no"

he got credited as the game designer and shared in the success, but those other people with that power to shut ideas out were the ones really impacting the game. they mostly go uncredited, and get blasted on later, with peter saying "that publisher hated everything i did and tried to change it"

through the power of crowdfunding, there's a bunch of people who believed peter was the driving force behind the games. they're funding peter to make the game he always wanted to make. turns out that game is p. poo poo.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Suspicious Dish posted:

early on in his career, he started out making games with dumb ideas, and other people had the power to stop him and say "no"

he got credited as the game designer and shared in the success, but those other people with that power to shut ideas out were the ones really impacting the game. they mostly go uncredited, and get blasted on later, with peter saying "that publisher hated everything i did and tried to change it"

through the power of crowdfunding, there's a bunch of people who believed peter was the driving force behind the games. they're funding peter to make the game he always wanted to make. turns out that game is p. poo poo.

kickstarter has definitely made nerds way more retroactively sympathetic to hated publishers of 80s-90s cult classics

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
fable was fine it just had a ton of hype so people were disappointed when it was just ok

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Shaggar posted:

fable was fine it just had a ton of hype so people were disappointed when it was just ok

that's because it had an idiot at the helm and dozens and dozens of talented people working as hard as they could to drag the game into "good" territory despite his involvement

and a huge budget

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
rock paper shotgun conducted an actual interview with him and asked him
hard questions like a real journalist would and the games industry and the rest of games writing closed ranks around him because they were being too mean

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

theflyingorc posted:

and he's terrible at it

idk, i think all of his games could have turned out well in the hands of a competent-but-not-amazing game designer, so i'd say he's an okay "ideas guy" who unfortunately convinced people he was also good at anything useful

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
molyneux has always been a guy to me whose track record just continually underdelivers

not really worth getting mad at tbh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was.... right?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just received signed Art of Godeus book, pretty nice.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
it's wrong but it's a million times better than the dumb-as-rocks actual name

i vote no confidence in molyneux and nominate mrmoo as the new Games Industry Ideas Guy

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Al! posted:

rock paper shotgun conducted an actual interview with him and asked him
hard questions like a real journalist would and the games industry and the rest of games writing closed ranks around him because they were being too mean

That interview literally started with "would you say you are a pathological liar?". That's not journalism, that's not even clickbait, that's just hateblogging with interviews.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

as somebody with an E, U, and X in their last name, i must say that molyneux has been a disappointment. i must bring this up at the next council meating.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

SolTerrasa posted:

That interview literally started with "would you say you are a pathological liar?"
no it didn't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
it's legit good journalism (even if it's video games) imho

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SolTerrasa posted:

That interview literally started with "would you say you are a pathological liar?". That's not journalism, that's not even clickbait, that's just hateblogging with interviews.

asking somebody who lies all the time about his lies is hardly "hateblogging"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

interrupting the interviewee three words into his first answer seems like poor technique to me

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember reading that, I thought Moly was really quite composed and forthcoming in what was surely a very difficult talk. He sounded pretty open about what he does differently now compared to eg the 90s and what's happening in the studio atm.

I say this all as someone who was never screwed by an under delivering game in the 90s so I have no right & wtf do i know

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qntm posted:

interrupting the interviewee three words into his first answer seems like poor technique to me

we only have the text version of the conversation, so that might be a pause by molyneux, not an interruption by the interviewer. given the starting question, it's good of them to provide background

Mister Sinewave posted:

I remember reading that, I thought Moly was really quite composed and forthcoming in what was surely a very difficult talk. He sounded pretty open about what he does differently now compared to eg the 90s and what's happening in the studio atm.

he definitely deserves credit for trying to explain himself instead of just walking away

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

uhh no

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*sits down to interview george w bush* hello sir why do you hate black people

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there is a big difference between scoring points with your base and conducting a good interview

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
molyneux should take tips from lucas, he knows how to troll his fans right back

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

rip da ali g show

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bloody posted:

lol @ Mike Myers face when Kanye was 'George Bush doesn't care about black people.' :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

prefect posted:

asking somebody who lies all the time about his lies is hardly "hateblogging"

he doesn't even lie, he just doesn't know what he's doing.

that interview is garbage. smart journalists, if they want to make somebody look bad, ask them questions that don't seem like attacks to make the person hang themselves on their own words. it wouldn't be good journalism to start an interview with BEN CARSON, WHY ARE YOU DUMB

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

he doesn't even lie, he just doesn't know what he's doing.

that interview is garbage. smart journalists, if they want to make somebody look bad, ask them questions that don't seem like attacks to make the person hang themselves on their own words. it wouldn't be good journalism to start an interview with BEN CARSON, WHY ARE YOU DUMB

i wouldn't have started with the "pathological liar" thing. it's a question of ignorance or malice, so you set the situation up and let him say "we screwed up" or "we said things we knew weren't true"

but maybe it was a more casual interview environment. also, it's just game journalism, so any improvement is good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I mean he consistently delivers games with mechanics that are at least attempting to be different. Even if they're bad ideas at least it's not the nth iteration of call of duty.

If promising a gaming revolution is what's necessary to get investors on board with creating interesting but flawed products, I don't really have an issue with it.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

that's a pretty good question for him though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bush is too dopey to hate anybody, even gat-packing welfare queens

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
dungeon keeper was a good game is my opinion on mounleoux

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/taleoftales/cathedral-in-the-clouds-contemplation-in-the-digit

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm sure it's a fine idea but i don't have vr goggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
tale of tales is such gutter trash, literally nothing they've ever made is any good

tale's of game's on the other hand

• Locked thread