Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trogdos! posted:

Does anyone here play sinister/viper Berserker in PvE? How is it?

I run a full sinister/zerker trinkets condi ranger.

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

I run a full sinister/zerker trinkets condi ranger.

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

I think he was asking about the very inappropriately named warrior specialization.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

ItBurns posted:

I think he was asking about the very inappropriately named warrior specialization.

Zerker meta was the warrior meta all along. It's a C+ twist really.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i'm interested in playing the pvp stuff in this game. what class is the best/most fun in pvp broadly speaking?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Farg posted:

i'm interested in playing the pvp stuff in this game. what class is the best/most fun in pvp broadly speaking?

Don't ask this question because everyone has the one class they are good at and therefore is the best.

Just expiriment. You get rewarded for losing so go hog wild!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
OK. also i own this game but when i try to log in it says that I don't have a serial code tied to the account. the account page shows i own the game. I sent a support ticket and they just sent me an email to reset my password?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ItBurns posted:

I've gotten a ton of XP from DS too. I was actually mastery-capped at one point. I don't want to name names but the dentist that was making fun of me for doing DS in mumble last night can gently caress right off. It's great loot and XP.

someone actually made fun of you for that? lmao, it's actually fun and gives a lot of cool stuff. sure beats the hell out of standing around for 45 minutes to get in line to kill Tequila the Dragon That Stands Still

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
DS does give better reward if you can be bothered tbh. Meanwhile Tequatl is about getting an ascended weapon chest with luck :v:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Farg posted:

Best/Fun is kind of open to your interpretation, but as far as ease of play Necromancer, Dragonhunter, and Ranger are miles beyond the rest of the cast.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell, the only 'content' that gets blocked off in DS without a specific mastery are the events during a lane's progression that need the itzel poison poo poo, and even then there's other events going on at the same time as those that you can do instead. ley line gliding helps during the final event but is in no way necessary, and even if you somehow fall (which will probably be unrelated to whether or not you have ley line gliding anyways) it takes like 15 seconds to get back from the waypoint.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

These flute mining tools are the best purchase I've ever made

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

These flute mining tools are the best purchase I've ever made

That of course begs the uncomfortable question. What was your worst purchase?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ItBurns posted:

right, keep forgetting there's an entire specialization with an armor type name now.

But I can answer that, and its decently powerful and works well in PvE since you don't have to worry about the enemy walking out of your fire field, the F2 zerker longbow skill in particular can stack fire like crazy, I like to start with that when my bar is full then swap to sword/torch and go nuts with the auto attack and mobile fire field thingy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

That of course begs the uncomfortable question. What was your worst purchase?

The Halloween gramophone thing :negative:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Farg posted:

Each class has somewhat unique play style also divided by how you trait them. Only problem is that 'meta' builds are too good that there isn't much diversity after all.

I suggest starting with Guardian/Ranger/Necro/Rev and moving to Thief/Engi/Ele/Mesmer for more control. Warrior used to be easy and decent enough, but Revenant is the new Warrior now.

As for builds Power builds are easy to use, but cc/condition builds are more helpful in team fights. While Power builds are easy to use and can burst down enemy, builds with cc/condition will thrive in sustained fights if they manage to survive the burst mainly because you can't reliably remove conditions or get out of cc.

sPvP isn't about 1v1 but instead about capturing and holding while preventing enemy doing so, therefore surviving and helping the team is more important.

e:
For those thinking of playing sPvP
Meta Battle lists builds that are highly rated and/or used by ESL/eSports players.
GW2 Twitch for ESL broadcasts. The casters show builds for each player and you can see how the players use those builds in competitive plays.

Do note that some of these builds work better in either solo or team fights, and some builds are boring (eg. Shoutbow Warrior).

Aesis fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 16, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Halloween gramophone thing :negative:

Even behind swim boosters? :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Even behind swim boosters? :v:

I never bought those, Cletus once sent me a stack of 250 with the attached message "get hosed m8" so I never ran out and beat him in all sfd swim meets.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want the SAB boom box back, I don't care if SAB never comes back at this point, just give me the boombox so I can idle in the guild hall while playing the world 1 tune.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

A goon friend helped me get a bunch of hero points, now I look rad:

Now to figure out a build and gear.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Catsworth posted:

I have fully cendy zerkers gears on mine with a hammer and HGH build and it falls squarely into the area where you can kill pretty much anything before it hurts you. The only thing that it could improve on is the cooldown on elixirs and the static field.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch

ItBurns posted:

I have fully cendy zerkers gears on mine with a hammer and HGH build and it falls squarely into the area where you can kill pretty much anything before it hurts you. The only thing that it could improve on is the cooldown on elixirs and the static field.

This is what I've been using in WvW and PvE on my scrapper:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncTB1ahtbBeeBEqil7ii+0b9aHcBjwAQsg+hcA-TlhAABg8AAuZ/B0U+BpSQAuAAmq+DA-w

Sometimes I switch around a bunch of the firearms traits depending how I feel. You kinda can't go wrong in that trait line.

This build also gives you plenty of Elixirs to stack might with: Elixir H + Toss, Elixir Gun 4 + 5. You can optionally drop Slick Shoes for another Elixir (take S for a great "Oh poo poo" button, take B to start of your terrifying burst). Another elixir also means another elixir toss!

A good easy opener is just taking out your FT, hitting Air Blast, and following it up with a Flame Blast + Detonate.

Cele gear means that you somewhat depend on might stacking to do damage, but it makes that up being nearly unkillable. In PvE and WvW stacking isn't an issue since you can just stand around with your Flamethrower out till you meet an enemy.

Take Mass Momentum in the Scrapper tree for stupid ridiculous might stacks.

Sneak Gyro gives you another lightning field on a short CD. I often switch it out for Mortar for more damage and yet another Elixir.

klockwerk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 16, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Catsworth posted:

Looks really awesome. Nice!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What's the easiest way to get celestial armor/weapons?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Disco Infiva posted:

What's the easiest way to get celestial armor/weapons?
You can buy Celestial Insignia/Inscription recipe from TP now.

e: They're cheap because Pack Supply Network Agent sells them for Karma now.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 16, 2015

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Aesis posted:

You can buy Celestial Insignia/Inscription recipe from TP now.

So, crafting :(

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Disco Infiva posted:

So, crafting :(
Well you can either craft them yourself, ask someone to craft for you, or buy from TP. If you don't have crafting leveled up then asking someone or buying from TP are the only options though.

e: Never mind, they're account bound :stare: Only the recipes aren't.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Isn't the celestial stuff account bound? or did they change that?

Edit: OK, yeah.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Pretty much any of the crafted stat combos they've added since launch have been account bound.

Also quartz crystals are up to 8-9 silver each, bringing the cost to around 16g and 5 days of charging crystals per insignia/inscription. You can just buy celestial ascended trinkets from the vendors at least!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unless you want to do high-level fractals you don't even need ascended armor. trinkets are easy enough to get and are a nice little boost, and maybe you could look into getting a weapon? but otherwise, exotic armor works just fine. with the changes to fractals maybe it might become more worth it to get ascended armor. who knows.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

:siren: Ascended gear has been mentioned! :siren: deploy the disclaimer posters immediately!

If you're going full celestial it's actually cheaper to buy the ascended accessories for 5g +12 guild commendations each. (Crafting them with jeweler also takes the 5 charged quartz.) Amulets are a bit closer in value (until t6 trophies drop more) but you probably want the utility infusion slot anyway. Rings are basically free if you do fractal dailies for pristine relics.

Also you shouldn't really bother with celestial gear unless you're doing WvW.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

unless you want to do high-level fractals you don't even need ascended armor. trinkets are easy enough to get and are a nice little boost, and maybe you could look into getting a weapon? but otherwise, exotic armor works just fine. with the changes to fractals maybe it might become more worth it to get ascended armor. who knows.

And while people have pointed out that it is basically impossible for raids to be tuned around it, it's not like it ascended would hurt for raids - as well as general HoT shenanigans, due to the increased difficulty.

Not that gear is going to stop something that takes you down in 1-2 seconds anyways, but maybe it will in a few edge cases?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xZAOx posted:

And while people have pointed out that it is basically impossible for raids to be tuned around it, it's not like it ascended would hurt for raids - as well as general HoT shenanigans, due to the increased difficulty.

Not that gear is going to stop something that takes you down in 1-2 seconds anyways, but maybe it will in a few edge cases?

We still don't know about that. That raid developer specifically said you need ascended gear for raids. But, as everyone has rightfully pointed out, it's impossible to tune the raids around that tiny stat difference. So, what is it? We need ascended gear or not?

Anet is frustratingly bad at communication.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

I think the statement just came across poorly. I kind of read it as "we intend for the final boss encounters to be hard enough that you'd want to consider getting extra stats on your gear just for the safety".

That or there will be raid-specific infusions, which would be great since they're disabling 10% slaying sigils and potions in raids.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I kind of read it as "we intend for the final boss encounters to be hard enough that you'd want to consider getting extra stats on your gear just for the safety".

Which is still nonsensical, it's impossible to tune something to be just hard enough to need that tiny bit of stats. I think it was just a stupid/poorly communicated statement.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Adhesive Gamin posted:

I think the statement just came across poorly. I kind of read it as "we intend for the final boss encounters to be hard enough that you'd want to consider getting extra stats on your gear just for the safety".

That or there will be raid-specific infusions, which would be great since they're disabling 10% slaying sigils and potions in raids.

They said no raid-specific infusions or anything like that, so my bet is on the former.

There is a huge difference in damage output, durability and utility between certain classes and builds, so yeah the idea that ascended gear will make that crucial difference is nonsensical, but who cares? Either it matters (raid-specific infusions) or it doesn't, and we'll know the answer soon enough.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Liberatore posted:

They said no raid-specific infusions or anything like that, so my bet is on the former.

There is a huge difference in damage output, durability and utility between certain classes and builds, so yeah the idea that ascended gear will make that crucial difference is nonsensical, but who cares? Either it matters (raid-specific infusions) or it doesn't, and we'll know the answer soon enough.

Duh, its going to be mastery driven. Level your mastery in Spirit Poison Resistance: allows your agony resistance to apply against Spirit Poison. Spirit Poison: Does damage equal to a percentage of your maximum life every second. Better get your gear infused and filled with agony resistance to be raiding.

Edit: I forgot about horizontal progression. Level your mastery in Spirit Juice: Your constant presence in the Spirit Vale has made you immune to its weakening affects, you are not longer affected by Spirit Sickness. Spirit Sickness: Your damage is reduced by 33% and you cannot benefit from the affects of Might.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 16, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UchihaHirou posted:

Duh, its going to be mastery driven. Level your mastery in Spirit Poison Resistance: allows your agony resistance to apply against Spirit Poison. Spirit Poison: Does damage equal to a percentage of your maximum life every second. Better get your gear infused and filled with agony resistance to be raiding.

Oh my god don't even joke about that

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Not this loving conversation again. The raids come out tomorrow, argue about it then.

e: this is not a mod speaking, just somebody being driven to insanity :shepface:

Karl L
Nov 9, 2015

I spent money on an image and a few lines of text.
The thought of a raid mastery makes me die a little on the inside. I'm already sick of masteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What, there's no argument happening, just general comments and discussion? Who the hell is arguing?

• Locked thread