Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

I consoled it in. I have no shame.

Seriously, it should be something you get after a quest line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Protons posted:

Same issue with me at the moment. After helping the BoS jizz mops I have Institute weapons coming out my rear end in a top hat. I have ~500 fusion cells. I have slapped as many upgrades on an institute rifle as I can, and it still does but 22 damage. I think I just need to crank up my Rifleman/Gunslinger perks for more damage

That reminds me, all the perks I saw to boost damage were non-automatic. Is there a perk to boost automatic-fire weapons? Also, can someone re-post that bigass perk chart image that i keep forgetting to save?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

khy posted:

Excellent, thank you.

Another question : Why do all my guns feel weak as gently caress.

My 10mm pistol does 22 damage per shot with a hardened receiver but it still takes 5-6 shots to down a single raider. The laser rifle I got from helping the BoS jackass get his transmitter thing does 24 damage per shot making it MARGINALLY better than the 10mm pistol which already doesn't do enough damage. The pipe pistol's damage is significantly worse than either, at like 13 damage per shot. My double-barrel shotgun is better and 2-shots ghouls but the reload sucks on it. I'm not enjoying any of the weapons thus far except maybe the minigun but I don't have nearly enough ammo to use that a lot.

Are you taking the weapon perks? They're really pretty much required, as they basically replace the old Small Guns/Big guns/Energy Weapons skills from the previous games. I was just being demolished in survival difficulty until I decided to start throwing poo poo into weapon damage perks BEFORE the crafting perks. Also make sure the perk you're boosting actually applies to your weapon. If you put an automatic receiver into your 10mm pistol, it's now covered by the Commando perk, not Gunslinger anymore.

Also, I've noticed that the rank 4 melee weapon perk's cleave does not differentiate between friend or foe. I figured I'd give it a try with the new super sledge I found and ended up knocking poor Dogmeat off over the horizon on a sub-orbital trajectory.

Had to fast-travel to get him to come back. :saddowns:

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 16, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just a word of warning. Setting up supply lines does not share anything between settlements other than building materials/food. Whatever you store in the workshop of one settlement is stuck there unless you move it manually.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

khy posted:

All this talk about institute vs BoS vs Minutement etc etc. Can I only join one faction or can I join whomever the hell I please?

There's a point in the game where you can be in all of them at once. As you progress through the missions you will reach a point where you have to make decisions on who to support.

The automatic weapon perk is in the AGI tree.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
This gun is broken in the best way and killed Swan very easily with it:

I used to have 300+ shells! :psyduck:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do the Vertibirds ever stop coming after they're introduced? The constant VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR everywhere I go is getting on my nerves and at the moment I'm neither allied or against the BoS.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Int is even better. According to a number of number crunches people have done, 11 Int across the entire game is better then r3 Idiot Savant with r1 Int for just basic exp gain, unless you inherently game the system and reload again and again until Savant procs. Int is also where all the best perks are. Gun Nut and Science are must have perks in this game. Nuclear Physicist makes using the Power Suit 24/7 viable. You can bug Nerd Rage to be permanently on if you rad yourself below 20% health, which is fine since you'll always be in Power Armor/now be basically unkillable thanks to your damage/damage resist. Scrapper is fantastic if you plan to do any weapon modding/settlement in depth building, which most people will. Hacking is a must have skill. Medic r2 means you'll almost always get full health from a Stimpack/fully remove rads with Radaway. Hell, even VANs is useful, since it just means you get giant green arrows pointing you to your next objective when you want them, which is great for all the "clear this building" objectives, since you'll just get arrows directing you to that last surviving raider.

I'm doing a high luck build and Vats is so fun. On my second play through I want to try something different and crazy science mech suit man sounds more fun than psycho puncher man. I already love abusing this armor that gives me slow time at low health, didnt think about abusing radiation or the power suit.

Edit: Also, the levling in this game is ridiculous. If anything you need perks to make XP chill the gently caress out. Level 25 already and I'm still just wading into random poo poo at this point. Haven't even progressed the main story yet. For such a "small" map, there seems to be hella poo poo around.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

This has been a good year for videogame cities. Vizima in TW3 and Boston in FO4.

What?! There's another city? And it's *bigger* than novigrad?? I've got to pick that game back up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Just a word of warning. Setting up supply lines does not share anything between settlements other than building materials/food. Whatever you store in the workshop of one settlement is stuck there unless you move it manually.

I could swear i remember seeing a loading screen tip saying the workshops of all settlements are linked so you can access your junk from anywhere. Is that not the case?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What ends up being the better long-range rifle, a .50 cal Hunting Rifle or a heavily modded Combat Rifle? I like my hunting rifle but sometimes I wish it would pull double duty as a closer range gun, and I feel like the Combat Rifle could fill both roles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The Walrus posted:

What?! There's another city? And it's *bigger* than novigrad?? I've got to pick that game back up.

Nope, sorry I was thinking of Novigrad. Vizima is where the emperor lives in TW3 but you're only there for a minute.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a point in the game where you can be in all of them at once. As you progress through the missions you will reach a point where you have to make decisions on who to support.

The automatic weapon perk is in the AGI tree.

Is there a shotgun-boosting perk or is that basically included in with rifleman or whatever? Or is there a separate shotgun perk? I basically always try to use a long-range sniper rifle for foes who take cover, and shotguns for melee foes/ghouls.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

khy posted:

I could swear i remember seeing a loading screen tip saying the workshops of all settlements are linked so you can access your junk from anywhere. Is that not the case?

You do share the junk, but only the junk. All actual proper usable items like aid, weapons, or armor will not be shared.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The Walrus posted:

also I wish my companions would stop the wanton deer/stag killing

The motherfucking antler-assholes will gut you the second you look away. They are no peaceful creatures, friend.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

khy posted:

Is there a shotgun-boosting perk or is that basically included in with rifleman or whatever? Or is there a separate shotgun perk? I basically always try to use a long-range sniper rifle for foes who take cover, and shotguns for melee foes/ghouls.

Shotgun uses rifle perks. Non-automatic at least.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I found a "frenzy on crit" gun and jesus christ it's so fun to sneak up and crit whoever the big boss of an area is and watch him rampage around fighting all the other enemy's in the area for you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Their flesh is also extremely healthy and delicious :unsmigghh:

the radstags, that is, not big boss

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I walked into Hubris Comics, at about level 8, to get that sweet sweet loot and experienced my first taste of that evil red eyed monkey bastard. Even with Grognaks Axe and a headful of psychojet, I got my poo poo pushed in by a glowing one who decided to completely sidestep my bottlecap mine and punch my head in. :3:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rookersh posted:

Strength is only useful if you plan on using melee. Otherwise, it's a fairly hard sell outside of Armorer. Even the gain to carry weight is a joke.
Carry weight last perk is to be able to fast travel while overweight. Best thing in the tree.

Miniguns dont do enough damage, fatman with big guns is amazing.

Rookersh posted:

The vast majority of perks in Charisma and Int are useful though, for any build, and a few are outright musthaves. Charisma and Int give you the most bang for your proverbial buck as well, as there are almost as many important speech checks in this game as there are in a real RPG, and 10 Int gives you 40% increased exp total. If you start at 10 Int and get the bobblehead, it actually jumps you to 11 Int, which gives you 50% increased exp across the board. That's insane.
Int and cha pretty much useless skill trees.

Rookersh posted:

Cap Collector isn't necessary, but it's super useful earlygame/for settlements. Lady Killer/Black Widow are great for increased damage.

Cap collector 2 is a must have if you want to have access to the best shops in the game. Local leader should be baseline.

Rookersh posted:

Int is even better. According to a number of number crunches people have done, 11 Int across the entire game is better then r3 Idiot Savant with r1 Int for just basic exp gain, unless you inherently game the system and reload again and again until Savant procs. Int is also where all the best perks are. Gun Nut and Science are must have perks in this game. Nuclear Physicist makes using the Power Suit 24/7 viable. You can bug Nerd Rage to be permanently on if you rad yourself below 20% health, which is fine since you'll always be in Power Armor/now be basically unkillable thanks to your damage/damage resist. Scrapper is fantastic if you plan to do any weapon modding/settlement in depth building, which most people will. Hacking is a must have skill. Medic r2 means you'll almost always get full health from a Stimpack/fully remove rads with Radaway. Hell, even VANs is useful, since it just means you get giant green arrows pointing you to your next objective when you want them, which is great for all the "clear this building" objectives, since you'll just get arrows directing you to that last surviving raider.

Idiot savant is best for kill exp, with low int you can get more exp from 30 monsters then any repeatable quest.

Gun Nut and Science are only useful in till you have the mods they can make. Soon as you have those mods and you never make anymore those perks are 100% useless.

Nuclear Physicist is worthless, I took it and ended the game with over 70 fusion cores with 120 hours played, I could of stayed in the power armor forever. You can use the power armor forever without this perk.

Medic is amazing but you do get a gently caress ton of stimpacks

khy
Aug 15, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Shotgun uses rifle perks. Non-automatic at least.

EXCELLENT. I cannot wait to get home and test this poo poo out.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The Walrus posted:

All of the times the BOS has helped me out have been amazing moments. The best so far was probably as I was coming up on the castle for the first time. Passed a chainlink fence and some ghouls spilled out. then some bloatflies joined in. then the thunder and lightning started just as the supermutants on a nearby rooftop started launching missles at me and pouring out of alleys. Then the vertibird landed and poo poo got real real real quick. It almost seemed scripted it was so cool.

also I wish my companions would stop the wanton deer/stag killing

Grilled radstag meat owns though. The +25 carry capacity for an hour is great for when you need just a little more carry weight on those long trips.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So can someone tell me what the advantage of cryo grenades are? I can craft them now but they do less damage than a frag grenade. However, they have more value which too me implies the cryo property is supposed to be doing something special. As far as I can tell it just slows the enemy down for about 1.5 seconds and that's it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is the double barrel shotgun a pistol or a rifle? It was never good on my rifleman game I had to wait for a combat shotgun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Is the double barrel shotgun a pistol or a rifle? It was never good on my rifleman game I had to wait for a combat shotgun.

Depends on the stock/barrel length I think.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I think it does, yeah. I checked when leveling up a couple of hours ago, and the damage went up with the Rifleman perk on the weapon's default set-up (the short stock and medium length barrel).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Double barrel shotgun and combat shotgun are treated as rifles

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lady Naga posted:

Also yes if you cannot beat the first real challenge in the game when it gives you multiple paths of entry, tons of cover and a sentrybot to help you out by bypassing a very easy hacking skill check then you aren't good at videogames. How is that a contentious point?

It's early in the game, most players are still learning to play, are armed with the worst gun possible and probably few combat perks, the cover system is never explained, and the enemies can target you perfectly through catwalks while you often can't even see them. Also, note that no one is saying they CAN'T beat it, just that its an awful slog.

The fact that you won't acknowledge any of that is, frankly, kind of hilarious, like you've got so much invested in being "better" than a bunch of internet randoms.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure the game looks at how you hold it as a pistol or a rifle. You still use two hands with a sawed off.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

New Leaf posted:

What ends up being the better long-range rifle, a .50 cal Hunting Rifle or a heavily modded Combat Rifle? I like my hunting rifle but sometimes I wish it would pull double duty as a closer range gun, and I feel like the Combat Rifle could fill both roles.

The way it works in pistol land is all the range-focused upgrades end up hurting close quarters performance enough that you'd ideally still have something else to swap to when dudes get all up in your face. Like the extended barrel will typically degrade hipshot stability which turns into a major drawback when the thing also has a scope on it. It also tends to work against the mysterious variables used to determine how many shots you get in VATS (which apparently aren't just firing speed and weight?).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Someone please make a script to change all instances of Bethesda to the :qq: emote.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

khy posted:

That reminds me, all the perks I saw to boost damage were non-automatic. Is there a perk to boost automatic-fire weapons? Also, can someone re-post that bigass perk chart image that i keep forgetting to save?

Commando under Agility boosts automatic weapon fire.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Is there any other shotguns besides the double barreled and the combat shotgun? I'm not really complaining, fully upgraded the combat shotty is a loving beast..

I can NOT wait until the GECK comes out and we can see mods like "rechamber minigun for shotgun shells" and other insanely hilarious poo poo like that.

Soral
May 30, 2009

someone needs to explain to me the arcane magics behind companion relationships - multiple times now a companion would seemingly cap out on approval for me and then not award a perk or a conversation until hours later, even after no new gains or losses occurred. i just want these dang perks.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rhymenoserous posted:

Depends on the stock/barrel length I think.

I will try to use it again, I went gunslinger this time. I changed a stock on a pistol and it turned into a rifle.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Snackula posted:

The way it works in pistol land is all the range-focused upgrades end up hurting close quarters performance enough that you'd ideally still have something else to swap to when dudes get all up in your face. Like the extended barrel will typically degrade hipshot stability which turns into a major drawback when the thing also has a scope on it. It also tends to work against the mysterious variables used to determine how many shots you get in VATS (which apparently aren't just firing speed and weight?).

Yeah I didn't think about that.. In my head, I was considering the rate of fire rather than hip shot accuracy. The hunting rifle turning into a bolt-action sniper isn't a bad change really, but I miss the repeating hunting rifles from the old games. Hell, I miss the Cowboy Repeater from New Vegas, too. That was my go-to gun for a very long time.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Do you know what else is great? Having my power armor plates shot and beaten off of me by .38s and pool cues. Fan-loving-tastic realism.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Phenotype posted:

It's early in the game, most players are still learning to play, are armed with the worst gun possible and probably few combat perks, the cover system is never explained, and the enemies can target you perfectly through catwalks while you often can't even see them. Also, note that no one is saying they CAN'T beat it, just that its an awful slog.

Honestly, I never thought it was all that difficult. I thought it was a lot of fun actually. It was surprising to find out so many people in the thread had that much trouble. I cleared the place out pretty easily. I died once from an explosion but that was it. The only problem I had was stupidly missing the damned stairs/elevator to the top floor for way too long, but that was just me being an idiot. I'm only playing on Hard though, so I guess if you're on Survivor it might be a totally different experience.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

super macho dude posted:

I walked into Hubris Comics, at about level 8, to get that sweet sweet loot and experienced my first taste of that evil red eyed monkey bastard. Even with Grognaks Axe and a headful of psychojet, I got my poo poo pushed in by a glowing one who decided to completely sidestep my bottlecap mine and punch my head in. :3:

Hubris Comics is just a death hole no matter what you roll in there with. I wasn't expecting what I got and barely survived, but I burned a crazy amount of healing items dealing with that Glowing One motherfucker.

Speaking of things happening downtown - is there a 'best' place to buy Railway Rifle ammo? I finally found the damned thing. Fought tooth and nail for it, too. Super Mutant Master with a Minigun is no joke. And then I saw a guy running and flashing and didn't even think before I turned my brand new Minigun on him.

He blew up. He was close enough to also blow me up and kill me. I got the "Touchdown!" trophy. :mad: And now that I know what Bethesda's game is regarding that trophy, I'm scared of when I'll end up getting the "Home Run!" one.

I hope one of the first mods that happens/makes it to consoles involves an ammo crafting system. I don't care what they would take, being able to make Railway Rifle spikes and Cryolater cells would be worth it.

Also, how the gently caress does the lighting system work in this? The downstairs of my house is filled with wires strung between hanging points. I get that they power nearby devices, but is there a way that isn't so ugly? It also doesn't make sense because there isn't a single cable upstairs and all the lights I put up there work, including one that's in a spot on a wall that's nowhere near the downstairs wiring. I have no idea how it's being lit up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok I'm pretty sure caps collector and fortune finder are must haves if you ever want to buy something because I can't sell even my biggest shiniest guns for crap and I'm finding barely any money in the wastes without them. That multi-shot Fat Man will be mine god drat it.

• Locked thread